Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:suspense:

I...I might need to go start reading Phantom newspaper archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. Some of it is very bad.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

:suspense:

I...I might need to go start reading Phantom newspaper archives.

This arc has actually been pretty boring, it's been about trying to stop some businessman from putting the Phantom on a stamp. It's just this random kidnapping has some great action.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Found while looking those up:

Goddamn I love him blowing the little candle out, I love it to pieces

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. Some of it is very bad.

Yeah, having grown up reading Phantom, it's clear that the stories are just consistently rather staid no matter the incarnation. Very rarely you have something like the prison rescue, but mostly Phantom tends to be forgettable. It's a real shame, because the character/setting has everything you need to make great pulp.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jf9wU3YmnI

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

poo poo, wrong thread. Sorry!

McCloud fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 16, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Neither is Ghost Rider! He's a dick, and he's on fire.

dicks have no bones, Ghost Rider is nothing but bones.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ruddiger posted:

dicks have no bones, Ghost Rider is nothing but bones.

And a huge, fleshy dong

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chinaman7000 posted:

Goddamn I love him blowing the little candle out, I love it to pieces

I got curious

Needs a dramatic beat between the 4th and 5th but I'm not good

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish there?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

What exactly were you hoping to accomplish there?

I wanted to see what it looked like without the joke and cartoony "blowing" sound and visual effect? I'm not sure how you want me to answer this question. Like, have I hurt your feelings? Are you crying? I'm sorry I made you cry?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I hope it won't hurt your feelings when I mention that I had to read the exchange and then scroll back to the first instance of the image to even notice that you had, in fact, made a small change to the image to justify its almost comment-less reposting.

Perhaps the other poster also missed it, and inquired about it towards you.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 17, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Psykmoe posted:

I hope it won't hurt your feelings when I mention that I had to read the exchange and then scroll back to the first instance of the image to even notice that you had, in fact, made a small change to the image to justify its almost comment-less reposting.

Perhaps the other poster also missed it, and inquired about it towards you.

Yeah, I had no idea what he was doing either. And now that I do, I still don't understand the point he was trying to make.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm literally crying right now

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You made a change no one noticed then blew up. vOv

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo, fuckers, none of this is badass, so post some loving panels or get the gently caress out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Preferably, Thor.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the post immediately previous to mine was "a huge, fleshy dong" and I'm somehow totally nutso out of control for not circling everything in crayon and, instead, only including a directly relevant quote that references the change I made absolutely. Next time I'll include puppets for your edification you huge, fleshy dong.

Lemme know if I need to circle anything in this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yeah, the post immediately previous to mine was "a huge, fleshy dong" and I'm somehow totally nutso out of control for not circling everything in crayon and, instead, only including a directly relevant quote that references the change I made absolutely. Next time I'll include puppets for your edification you huge, fleshy dong.

how can you be this much of a defensive child while also calling everyone else defensive children

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Duke Igthorn posted:

Badass panel not withstanding, you can circle yourself right on out of the forum, tia

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Alaois posted:

how can you be this much of a defensive child while also calling everyone else defensive children

I like how he broke out the thesaurus for that sick use of "edification".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toshimo posted:

Yo, fuckers, none of this is badass, so post some loving panels or get the gently caress out.

This.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Justice League of America #02

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Could someone tell me the why of Hawkman? Please? Why is he a popular character and not one quietly forgotten by history?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VanSandman posted:

Could someone tell me the why of Hawkman? Please? Why is he a popular character and not one quietly forgotten by history?

Hawkman is awesome. He's got the mask, and the morningstar, and-and the wings! I think he's cool. :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

He's not a popular character, just look at his sales. As to why he's still around, well it's probably because he's one of the oldest superheroes around, created back during the golden age. Back then "He can fly" was a big deal, powers-wise. Even Superman was still leaping tall buildings. Nowadays they have to keep tacking on new stuff ("oh guys I'm actually an alien cop and my armor/mace gives me a healing factor") to keep him from being Captain Redundant.

So in short, he gets a pass on legacy, the same reason Martian Manhunter is always around despite being no one's favorite hero.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 18, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

VanSandman posted:

He's not, and he has been, it's just nobody's told DC that yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hawkman just hasn't found the right author or adaption. He could work if some real A-level talent put the work in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

He's not a popular character, just look at his sales. As to why he's still around, well it's probably because he's one of the oldest superheroes around, created back during the golden age. Back then "He can fly" was a big deal, powers-wise. Even Superman was still leaping tall buildings. Nowadays they have to keep tacking on new stuff ("oh guys I'm actually an alien cop and my armor/mace gives me a healing factor") to keep him from being Captain Redundant.

So in short, he gets a pass on legacy, the same reason Martian Manhunter is always around despite being no one's favorite hero.

Martian Manhunter at least doesn't require a flowchart to explain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Toshimo posted:

Antimony did it better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toshimo posted:

I've been reading comics for like 25 years and this one page is the first thing regarding Hawkman I've ever liked. And it's not even because of Hawkman. It could've been anyone. It's just a good gag.

Hawkman is not popular and should be forgotten to time. DC still wants him to be a thing though. And history is almost as confusing and dumb as the Summers family. They can't ever decide if he's an alien or or a reincarnated Hawk God or something. It's the kind of mess that's a barrier to anyone really getting invest in him.

The fact that Hawkgirl on the Justice League cartoon was as good as she was is a testament to those writers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sexcastle

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The DC Universe has been reset so many times, I don't get why they don't just pick one and stick to it. Throw everything else in trash and go with it. Not the space cop though, they already have one of those.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Toshimo posted:

Sexcastle

i want to know what this is but i dont want to google sexcastle on my work computer

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quite stretched out posted:

i want to know what this is but i dont want to google sexcastle on my work computer

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/sexcastle
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015XHTLUY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

"SEXCASTLE is a perfect mix of homage and comedy, action and irony, loving tribute and hilarious send-up of the great, good, and ungodly-bad action movies of the '80s. I don't remember the last time a debut book hit me this hard. Literally, this book punched me in the face. It's THAT mean." - Matt Fraction

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Ultimates (2002) #8

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

X-O posted:

I've been reading comics for like 25 years and this one page is the first thing regarding Hawkman I've ever liked. And it's not even because of Hawkman. It could've been anyone. It's just a good gag.

Hawkman is not popular and should be forgotten to time. DC still wants him to be a thing though. And history is almost as confusing and dumb as the Summers family. They can't ever decide if he's an alien or or a reincarnated Hawk God or something. It's the kind of mess that's a barrier to anyone really getting invest in him.

The fact that Hawkgirl on the Justice League cartoon was as good as she was is a testament to those writers.

Yeah, but the best those same writers could do with Hawkman was make him an obsessed creepy stalker, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about Hawkman.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

X-O posted:

I am NOT a fan of Hawkman but he's absolutely perfect for moments where the script requires a violent rear end in a top hat and either Batman isn't available or it needs to be more EXTREME. Not a fan but he's a perfect fit for a specific role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Isn't Hawkman basically just DC's Dredd?