Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mountains of Madness had too much foreshadowing; and then the horror elements were way less horror and more "ooh, that's interesting". As in, this could have been better written calmly as sci fi, imo.

The only one that was seriously good was the Colour out of Space.

Edit: But if you think Lovecraft was racist, consider the fact that Sax Rohmer was one of the most popular authors in the U.K. around the same time, a man who's works makes Gone with the Wind look like it was penned by MLK.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I like that one short story by Lovecraft where a dude and his uncle decide to investigate a haunted house and get scared so bad by the m-m-monster there that the uncle dies and the narrator goes crazy. Then in the last sentence it's revealed to be a big black middle finger aimed at the protagonist. THE HORROR!

Also, while I really like the story The Rats in the Walls, it's kinda funny at the end how he slyly suggests that the Irish are barely better than cavemen in intelligence and sophistication.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

I like that one short story by Lovecraft where a dude and his uncle decide to investigate a haunted house and get scared so bad by the m-m-monster there that the uncle dies and the narrator goes crazy. Then in the last sentence it's revealed to be a big black middle finger aimed at the protagonist. THE HORROR!

Also, while I really like the story The Rats in the Walls, it's kinda funny at the end how he slyly suggests that the Irish are barely better than cavemen in intelligence and sophistication.

he's not wrong though

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Count Chocula posted:

when Lovecraft was hanging out with people

Citation needed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Back to Joyce for a moment,

Hedningen posted:

I love stupid Swedish news. Decent translation, although I think "brakfis" is better translated as "a crashing fart" rather than a "stinking cheese". And the sole reason I know this offhand is due to translating Joyce's letters into Swedish for the world's dumbest avant-garde play ever conceived.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

You only get one dickhole in life do you better not gently caress it up

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Way to sound off.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr Enderby posted:

The verb "queering," as used in Queer Theory, means reinterpreting texts or historical periods through the lens of said theory. The gerund "queering", as used by wrestler and motivational speaker Ultimate Warrior, is a colloquial term for a performative act of homosexuality, presumable that of male sodomy.

Smoking Crow's reply to Mo Tzu presents us with a a deliberating misreading of the text, treating the verb as the gerund. This playful substitution of one context for another exposes the original text to a "de-queering", where the precise, academic, and above all Queer understanding of a word is substituted for a colloquial, hetero-normative, and anti-Queer one. By doing so, Smoking Crow's reply makes an eloquent argument for the role of queering in Queer Theory, as a counterbalance to the de-queering inevitably imposed on texts by the hetero-normative environment with which they inevitably come into contact.

The fact that the Ultimate Warrior espoused government violence in the Middle East puts him squarely in the trading of right-wing interventionism, which in the 21st century US is strongly associated with hetero-normative and homo-oppressive policies. Therefore any pro-violence comments made said Warrior only underline his role in this hermeneutic as the avatar of hetero-normativity.

Don't think this needs context, really.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

funmanguy posted:

#BlackDeathMatters

#AllDeathMatters

But...Death was three black guys. :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

But...Death was three black guys. :(

But the more famous, metal band Death was all white guys

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

I keep imagining jazz coming on the radio when Lovecraft was hanging out with people and them all hiding before the inevitable rant.

To be fair, jazz sucks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what is it with goons and jazz, for fucks sake

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alaois posted:

any music you have to be trained to appreciate sucks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VanSandman posted:

I was trained to appreciate classical music by watching Looney Tunes.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was trained to appreciate classical music by watching Looney Tunes.

hell yeah! :):hf::)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VanSandman posted:

Pop music = best music. Meghan Trainor is a musical genius, her stuff is catchy as gently caress.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hogge Wild posted:

hell yeah! :):hf::)

"Kill the Wabbit"?!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paladinus posted:

Don't think this needs context, really.

The follow ups are goood too

E thanks for not posting your book of the month Facebook like

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Henchman of Santa posted:

But the more famous, metal band Death was all white guys

Yeah but Death are fantastic while Death are tolerable at best. "Death" here referring to Death and "Death" to Death, obviously.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Alaois posted:

99% of goons, if you scratch the surface, only like Weird Al and metal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Count Chocula posted:

99% of goons, if you scratch the surface, only like Weird Al and metal.

I like prog rock and classical. Come at me!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I like prog rock and classical. Come at me!

Oh yes, prog rock, a non-goony genre which is nothing like metal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Count Chocula posted:

Oh yes, prog rock, a non-goony genre which is nothing like metal.

HOW DARE YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7pzflhNIk

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I only listen to harsh noise walls

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

I only listen to harsh noise walls

That's an amazing red title, which Hamilton loving nerds did you piss off?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

VanSandman posted:

And this right here is why video games are the worst art form in the world

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

The secrets are unspeakable, so they are communicated through drum beats. We will never learn the secrets, because white people have no sense of rhythm.

Actually I solved that Gabriel Knight puzzle ages ago.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd love to play a proper Lovecraft mystery horror game, just so see how fast it would break down into spot-the-friend of the family Benny Hill, but alas. Game studios give far too much credit to that old cantankerous fart to be true really to his works.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Somfin posted:

....agreed? I guess?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Donald Trump's Inaugural Address, as written in 3 words per post by C-SPAM:

Cosmik Slop posted:

TRANSCRIPT OF DONALD TRUMP’S INAUGURAL ADDRESS, JANUARY 20TH, 2017:

My fellow Americans and Russian prostitutes: Jeb is hereby appointed Moon King. Sorry, Newt Gingrich. It was necessary—bing bing bong—to cuck you. [Off mike to Rudy Giuliani: this is a 4chan thread. Your mom is a 4chan thread]. Bing bing bing. [Off mike: it makes visiting the family really uncomfortable and confusing.] Trumpcare is about separate but equal bodily fluids and unwanted incestuous thoughts—bigly, believe me. The best-- just let me say that my daughter has a great flavor of urine. Hillary Clinton’s emails cannot compare to the wonderful taste of Ivanka’s urine during the primaries. The lying media is bad! Tremendous black friend vote. We will win. Check these dubs. Some people say I’m a Nazi. What they forget: it’s a movement, and that Hitler was low-energy. Genocide isn’t enough. Bing bing bong!

And his hair? A total disaster. Apologize like a dog! Lyin’ Ted is bringing back jobs like zodiac killing John F. Kennedy bigly. We’re going at [sic] Trump Tower, where public urination on Obama’s memorabilia which [sic] makes necessary Lindsey Graham’s piss and political correctness, because Rosie O’Donnell—sad! Radical Islamic terrorism [Off mike: and political correctness] will make America a total mess. That is great, just terrific, folks. Piss on me—you’ll come, promise! I guarantee you jobs, jobs, jobs—like urine collectors, big league, bigly. How stupid are Iowan voters? gently caress CNN, Buzzfeed, and Ivanka, but gently. All my supporters eat free at—are just tremendous. Troops, homes. Freedom isn’t free, but is now over. The third amendment… I can’t remember… is a waste.

Lemme tell you—this Lewis guy? Handsome? Sure, but a total mess. Jeb is a nice guy. Articulate—for a Bush! Melania never poops unless I say, “Barack Hussein Obama, piss and poo poo”. Praise the Goddess! [Three airhorn blasts from crowd] Do the Bartman, and may God do his thing. Bing bing God. I am Sam, Sam I am. Do you like the Cheeto man? Ninja, ninja rap. [yelling] TRUMP BOT REBOOTING! [resumes speaking tone] I am Adolf, except I’ll win. Bigly. Probably. Maybe. Radical. Islamic. Terrorism. Three simple words, and 85 more—sometimes just fourteen. And China is taking our jobs. I love China. Piss in soda. We must secure every sex slave drinking the piss [to aides] just my piss [to mic] sex slave piss. Very, very big. Sex slave piss is so delicious—better than Ivanka’s. I love piss. All piss matters.

In closing, I love radical Islam. Death to America. Allahu akbar, and full communism slowly and gradually. By the pussy. Vice President Pence—we haven’t spoken. I wanted Newt, Newt Newt Newt. It’s gonna be big wet rear end, the absolute wettest. My tiny hands will be wet, believe me folks. Jeb is a mess. Jeb is a waste, folks. Need Jeb’s piss in my wiener. And Mexico is a great place for me to go poop on! Anyways, bing bing bong, Bush did 9/11. I said, “Don’t let me stick, grease me up”.

Now, a joke: I am president. I’m a rapist. People are saying my rear end smells! I can’t reach-- Ivanka’s beautiful breasts are mine alone. I say to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: need piss. Sixty-one! Bing bing bing. Bong, bing bing. It’s just that—and cumming profusely made America great! Crooked Hillary needs a golden shower at her colorist’s massive Jewish conspiracy, because yarmulkes are not Bannon-approved. Likewise, other Semitic groups lack foreskin, and scrupulously avoid pee-pee parties in Swiss resorts. Repeat after me: Barron will not be the actual example I use. He’s my bastard son and grandson. Nothing really matters. My early years, I was abused. Ha ha, only kidding. Furthermore, the blacks, whom I love, live in crime-ridden, so-called “trap”.

Ben Carson will personally inspect Hillary’s panties for piss. I have no reason to doubt that my daughter, the big dog, is best waifu. My SA username is actually Baloogan! Sad! First Lady Ivanka, the big dog, wants to build a restraining order. Peg me, please, I’m begging you, you horse fucker. [yelling] END THE FED! [arms waving furiously] Watch out for my germophobia, piss. [hoarsely, pointing] THE CHAOS EMERALDS! Mexico will pay in Two Corinthians. [screaming] BLACKED DOT COM! [resume normal tone] stars my daughter, World Star Hip-Hop legend Kanye West. [incoherent, sounds like “roffle roffle roffle”] Caresses my thighs, drinks daddy’s cummies. My African-American brazzers.com—check it out. Many people are saying that I’m bigly. That’s not true. I’m BIG LEAGUE! [brief pause for audience standing ovation] Into fake news, my daughter Ivanka, a Jew husband, and of course, his fabulous BJs.

My good friend, Governor Chris Christie, has eaten Melania, and that’s fine. Scott Baio will, and he peed. Build the swamp. Build it, please. Mexico might repay, I tell you—they probably won’t, because we are number one, and that means piss on my face, in my pants, in my mouth, on my children. A blind trust with my hoes, but not Eric. Bernie woulda won. Wishes come true… ha ha, psyche! Sad! “Love me, daddy,” Ivanka shouted as she came bigly, while the audience and husband clapped, unlike for Jeb, fapping in corner. [Impression of Jeb Bush (?)]That’s me, by the way. Fap fap fap. Jealous of Ivanka. I want mommy. [Impression ends] Wouldn’t hurt fly. Loving hurting women.

Trump then decided the wall will be manila folders. They’re blank, lol. My tax returns—no one cares. Winning’s more important! Just the biggest—my hands, yes. I’m completely retarded. Love ya, Vlad. Wouldn’t it be nice if Jeb—terrific, just terrific. Need more piss so I can sell Mexico some “Really Bad Hombres”-brand miracle piss. Starting today, masturbation via auto-erotic asphyxiation is mandatory for the intelligence agencies, but also for my greatest hero: my son, Barron, the Moldovian Scourge. Furthermore, the KKK has been promoted to non-stop anime Gestapo of America. Well, w-well, w-w-w-well, everybody’s getting laid! Especially me, when we repeal the laws against rape, and incest also! Ivanka is cute. Motorboat them tittays. Grab that pussy. Now I must leave this planet a smoldering ruin. Motorboat those titties. I loving hate the fake news.

[LEAVES PODIUM, UNITED STATES MARINE BAND STARTS PLAYING]

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Bigly"...... Drumpf is loving done for :mrgw:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Donald Trump's Inaugural Address, as written in 3 words per post by C-SPAM:

the dude enthusiastically clapping dot jiff

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Kill the Wabbit"?!

Rabbit of Seville FTW

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Somfin posted:

Video games aren't art. Just like slot car tracks aren't art. They are toys.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Video games aren't art. Just like slot car tracks aren't art. They are toys.

Toys are also art.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paladinus posted:

Toys are also art.

This is a funny quote so I will quote it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

This is a funny quote so I will quote it

It's funny because it's true.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

Toys are also art.
How many funko toys do you have on display right now?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Are finger paints toys or art? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Depends on where you put the finger and if anyone's recording it.