Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are there any general fitness apps that are worth their salt on the play store? Any recommendations for one in particular?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pipit.agc

"Abusive Gym Reminder is an app that tracks your gym habits and calls you a loser when you miss gym days. It is free, open source, and contains no ads."

"Abuse level can be increased to contain profanity, body shaming, etc. Messages get pretty rough. Please don't download "Abusive Gym Reminder" if you think you may be offended."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol that owns

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are there any general fitness apps that are worth their salt on the play store? Any recommendations for one in particular?

What do you want out of it? I just use Fit, but all I really care about is tracking days, not any detailed stats (I like them for biking, but that's what Strava is for).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Google Fit for general passive tracking (I don't use it for active tracking, though it also does that apparently?) and weight records
Strava for running and biking
Myfitnesspal for tracking food and calories
FitFit for tracking gym sessions

Though it's been a while since I used FitFit since it's been a while since I've been to the gym (I only do cardio lately).

It's me, I'm the gal who uses four different apps because it's a pain to look for an all-in-one app

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for an Android emulator on Windows?

ie: a Windows software that will emulate an Android phone, not an emulator that runs on Android.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

(I don't use it for active tracking, though it also does that apparently?)

It does, but I'm rarely happy with it. The maps are almost always wrong, it doesn't track speed or time super accurately, etc. If you walk somewhere, take a short break, then bike a little bit later, it'll either think you were biking the whole time or walking the whole time, completely throwing off all calculations.

Either I feed data into it from other apps or use it as a timer (select workout, start timer, end timer). I just use it as a catch all container. Works for me, but like I said, I don't exactly keep detailed stats about every single thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any recommendations for an Android emulator on Windows?

ie: a Windows software that will emulate an Android phone, not an emulator that runs on Android.

Bluestacks is by far the easiest to use, though what it really is is Android ported to x86 running in a separate window. A few applications won't work (but only a very few, the vast majority of popular apps work fine) because they rely on native code, and it doesn't replicate the hardware of any particular Android phone.

You can get it here, it's free to use normally http://www.bluestacks.com/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fishmech posted:

Bluestacks is by far the easiest to use, though what it really is is Android ported to x86 running in a separate window. A few applications won't work (but only a very few, the vast majority of popular apps work fine) because they rely on native code, and it doesn't replicate the hardware of any particular Android phone.

You can get it here, it's free to use normally http://www.bluestacks.com/

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of an Android emulator if it's not truly emulating Android?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of an Android emulator if it's not truly emulating Android?

It's not emulating Android, it's just Android running on x86, therefore ARM-specific code won't run, and it's not emulating a specific device. It'll run the odd Android app just fine if that's all that's needed.
I'd assume when someone is looking for an Android emulator on Windows, they're looking to run Android apps on a desktop.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 16, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a full Android system that runs Android apps. It's not emulating Android, because it IS Android. It's not emulating any particular phone's hardware though, so apps that rely on specific hardware generally can't run - but those are fairly rare these days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

It's not emulating Android, it's just Android running on x86, therefore ARM-specific code won't run, and it's not emulating a specific device. It'll run the odd Android app just fine if that's all that's needed.
I'd assume when someone is looking for an Android emulator on Windows, they're looking to run Android apps on a desktop.

Gotcha, my assumption is that someone would want to run an emulate to test things.

fishmech posted:

It's a full Android system that runs Android apps.

If it's ported to x86 though it's not. But it's fine, I assumed a different purpose

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

If it's ported to x86 though it's not.

Uh, how does that make sense to you? It's literally Android running on a different CPU type than most Android devices do, but there's been quite a few x86 Android devices in the past.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fishmech posted:

Uh, how does that make sense to you? It's literally Android running on a different CPU type than most Android devices do, but there's been quite a few x86 Android devices in the past.

I made an assumption and didn't explain myself well, it's fine, never mind.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'll give Bluestacks a try, thanks!

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
If that doesn't do what you need, try genymotion or nox.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I accidentally found that I can double tap the sides of a YouTube video on my tablet to skip forward and back ten seconds. I've always wanted to be able to do that!

But, it doesn't seem to do anything on my phone. Am I out of luck or missing something?

A recent update to YouTube brought these features to my phone. Huzzah!

I also noticed that ever since the 7.1.1 update, rotating the phone from portrait to landscape clockwise finally puts the home buttons on the left side of the screen. Good news for lefties!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Having a weird issue with YouTube, if I press full screen it's just an image of the thumbnail

Anybody else seeing this?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'll give Bluestacks a try, thanks!

Alternatively, you could just try installing the x86 version of Android in a Virtualbox. I haven't it tried it yet myself.. but I'm about to.

Edit: It works well. Sort of a pain to get it run properly in portrait. Tip: If you change the video mode by editing menu.lst, also specify a DPI setting of at least 160 to avoid crashes.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 17, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Duggler posted:

Having a weird issue with YouTube, if I press full screen it's just an image of the thumbnail

Anybody else seeing this?

This has been happening off and on for me too. Usually going out and back into fullscreen works. Seems like google broke something in a recent update.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been getting it turning the phone to get full screen too

There is a more recent version out that I've not had yet, no sure if that'll fix it if you fancy sideloading from apk mirror

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This has been happening off and on for me too. Usually going out and back into fullscreen works. Seems like google broke something in a recent update.

Google hosed with the YouTube app for no reason? And it's much worse with no added benefit??

No way man get outta here

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Duggler posted:

Google hosed with the YouTube app for no reason? And it's much worse with no added benefit??

No way man get outta here

I know it sounds crazy, but I think it's true

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I actually want the new update for this supposed 10 second skip thing someone mentioned

I'd use that a lot

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
What's a good alternative to google keyboard for auto-correction? I make of a lot of mistakes when typing on phones. Google keyboard on my older phones (nexus 4 2013, note 4) was excellent after a few weeks at correcting silly common errors I made, but I've switched to a new phone (pixel XL) for 6 weeks now and it's auto-correction is straight up loving awful. Like auto-correcting words with simple single letter typos like "kiling" to "looking" or my personal :wtc: one "diphenhydramine" to "do you what" (not even a typo in there!), I've finally lost patience. I've seen swiftkey mentioned when doing a quick browse through the thread as an alternative keyboard, but is it's autocorrection better?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

rocket_Magnet posted:

What's a good alternative to google keyboard for auto-correction? I make of a lot of mistakes when typing on phones. Google keyboard on my older phones (nexus 4 2013, note 4) was excellent after a few weeks at correcting silly common errors I made, but I've switched to a new phone (pixel XL) for 6 weeks now and it's auto-correction is straight up loving awful. Like auto-correcting words with simple single letter typos like "kiling" to "looking" or my personal :wtc: one "diphenhydramine" to "do you what" (not even a typo in there!), I've finally lost patience. I've seen swiftkey mentioned when doing a quick browse through the thread as an alternative keyboard, but is it's autocorrection better?

Swiftkey is good but it's very similar to google keyboard there. It'll learn over time though and its better for swiping.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

Swiftkey is good but it's very similar to google keyboard there. It'll learn over time though and its better for swiping.

Swiftkey is very very very bad for swiping. Its suggestions suck super hard and it doesn't learn over time like the tapping does. It'll always give you the same recommendations even if you make the exact same correction to a bad prediction hundreds of times (which I have done, for a great many words).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rocket_Magnet posted:

I don't have this problem whatsoever. Maybe try clearing your gboard cache and existing corrections?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Taffer posted:

Swiftkey is very very very bad for swiping. Its suggestions suck super hard and it doesn't learn over time like the tapping does. It'll always give you the same recommendations even if you make the exact same correction to a bad prediction hundreds of times (which I have done, for a great many words).

I wholeheartedly disagree with your entire post. It has 2.1 million downloads and a rating of 4.5 of 5 stars on google play, it cannot be anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. The good thing for him is the keyboard is free for him to try it out, if he hates it like you do he can always uninstall it and try something else. I still think it is a good keyboard and I enjoy using it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

TwistedNails posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree with your entire post. It has 2.1 million downloads and a rating of 4.5 of 5 stars on google play, it cannot be anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. The good thing for him is the keyboard is free for him to try it out, if he hates it like you do he can always uninstall it and try something else. I still think it is a good keyboard and I enjoy using it.
SwiftKey is a good keyboard but swiping with it is a frustrating experience.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think the assessment was specific to SwiftKey's swiping, which had historically been not very good. It's tapping, however, is fantastic. It's been my only keyboard for years now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I think taffer's assessment was specific to SwiftKey's swiping, which had historically been not very good. It's tapping, however, is fantastic. It's been my only keyboard for years now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

I'm speaking specifically about swiping. It's tap typing is fantastic and far better than anything else. But it is the worst swiping keyboard. I still use it because it's the best at tapping, but I just wish its swipe got a little love.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Taffer posted:

I'm speaking specifically about swiping. It's tap typing is fantastic and far better than anything else. But it is the worst swiping keyboard. I still use it because it's the best at tapping, but I just wish its swipe got a little love.

I guess i've just adapted to it over the past 3 years then, I hold my phone left handed for some reason and it's been the best by far for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TwistedNails posted:

I guess i've just adapted to it over the past 3 years then, I hold my phone left handed for some reason and it's been the best by far for me.

This may be the first time anyone has ever said Swiftkey has good swiping in this thread.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't have this problem whatsoever. Maybe try clearing your gboard cache and existing corrections?

I'll give this a go, but I don't hold out much hope it just seems to have a mind of it's own because it's simply correcting stuff that isn't even misspelled, or terms I use nearly every single day to random poo poo that I've never once typed. As I've said, it was drat near preternatural in it's corrections and predictions on the note 4/nexus 4 but now it's just terrible and actively hinders text conversations I try to have. I've simply resorted to just turning auto correct off altogether I got that frustrated with it in the last week. Even with with auto-correct off, the dictionary suggestions are dumber than a bag of hammers, where it's suggesting words that are 4-5 characters different from the word I've typed with one typo in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rocket_Magnet posted:

I'll give this a go, but I don't hold out much hope it just seems to have a mind of it's own because it's simply correcting stuff that isn't even misspelled, or terms I use nearly every single day to random poo poo that I've never once typed. As I've said, it was drat near preternatural in it's corrections and predictions on the note 4/nexus 4 but now it's just terrible and actively hinders text conversations I try to have. I've simply resorted to just turning auto correct off altogether I got that frustrated with it in the last week. Even with with auto-correct off, the dictionary suggestions are dumber than a bag of hammers, where it's suggesting words that are 4-5 characters different from the word I've typed with one typo in.

Are you sure you're using the google keyboard? Gboard? Not some shady knockoff?

This doesn't seem to match up to what most people say about using it...

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Are you sure you're using the google keyboard? Gboard? Not some shady knockoff?

This doesn't seem to match up to what most people say about using it...

It's the keyboard that came preinstalled on the pixel XL :shrug:

edit: and just confirmed it's definitely gboard and not something my carrier shoehorned in. I'm just a surprised as you are, as I said on previous phones it was amazing, but on this one it's terrible.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 23, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This may be the first time anyone has ever said Swiftkey has good swiping in this thread.

It's got to be. Swiping on SwiftKey is not just bad, it's the gold standard for "as terrible as you can make a swiping keyboard". It's complete garbage.

I'll be honest though, I'm legitimately impressed someone could use SwiftKey for swiping for three years. I'd have to assume it's better now than it was when it first launched but when it first came out it was so incredibly lovely. It was as if it was designed by someone who had been told about how a swiping keyboard works without having ever seen it in person. It was legitimately the worst swiping keyboard by a wide margin.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rocket_Magnet posted:

It's the keyboard that came preinstalled on the pixel XL :shrug:

edit: and just confirmed it's definitely gboard and not something my carrier shoehorned in. I'm just a surprised as you are, as I said on previous phones it was amazing, but on this one it's terrible.

I honestly don't understand that. I'd even film it somehow if I could to show you, but the Gboard autocorrect is almost perfect on mine. The few issues have been my own fault, when I accidentally remember a bad spelling, but I can remove that right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

rocket_Magnet posted:

You could try switching off the Next-word Suggestions option and the multilingual one if that applies - I think those are the notable changes in the newer keyboard that might make it behave differently

If you're swiping it can help to do loops and swirls instead of straight lines, but that applied to the old version too