Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

EvilHawk posted:

What are you basing this off of? When has this ever happened? Or are you just trying to make poo poo up to back up your argument.

It happened all the loving time, how insularly English can you be to not even notice the decades long battles between the top European clubs and the smaller national federations of the world in the 90s and 00s, every time international duty came up? It happened so often that the rule was introduced by FIFA, at the urging of just about everyone outside of UEFA.

If you're asking about sticking to the letter of the law while violating the spirit, Chelsea setting up their 60 player squad loan-to-sell farm to generate profits as a way of beating FFP is a good example of what the enterprising businessmen and lawyers running those clubs can and will come up with.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

EC10 posted:

why does it make a difference if they get paid 12 million on january first once a year or 1 million a month?

Dunno that it does? Perhaps it helps them keep their direct debits sorted out.

I guess my point was about players getting paid to play for their country, they don't need to be as they're already getting paid. The reason clubs are succesful businesses and players are well paid is because of the success of organised football. To get that advantage everyone agreed that clubs release players to national sides when asked and the players go and play. Doesn't matter what some contract between club and player says.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

then don't play for them 27 times and then sort of retire

circumstances can change?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

To be perfectly clear I think the rule that a player is banned from club play if called to an international is good, I just don't think patriotic fetishism needs to enter the conversation. Liverpool can't play him, now it's up to him if he caps for Cameroon or not. If he plays, he should get paid a reimbursement for his literal job and the possibility of long term damage to his livelihood

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

NTRabbit posted:

And Liverpool was most definitely one of those clubs guilty of it.

Sauce?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dex_sda posted:

To be perfectly clear I think the rule that a player is banned from club play if called to an international is good, I just don't think patriotic fetishism needs to enter the conversation. Liverpool can't play him, now it's up to him if he caps for Cameroon or not. If he plays, he should get paid a reimbursement for his literal job and the possibility of long term damage to his livelihood

they only skip friendlies and even then its ridiculous that international football takes place during the season. this would never be a thing, outside of matip's strange circumstances, if this was the case.

Either way fifa is rich as gently caress and can definitely afford to help poorer nations compensate their players and its a joke they don't. remember when togo got banned from international football because they pulled out of a tournament when their team bus got shot up

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

anyone who has to play for their country 'against their will' is a giant baby

north koreans might be an exception.

I like when they run away on internatonal duty

e/ also those iraqis who got torutured by saddam's kid for losing or something

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

It happened all the loving time, how insularly English can you be to not even notice the decades long battles between the top European clubs and the smaller national federations of the world in the 90s and 00s, every time international duty came up? It happened so often that the rule was introduced by FIFA, at the urging of just about everyone outside of UEFA.
Need the sauce for this as well.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

CAF could also just move their continental tournament to the offseason like a normal federation

I'd assumr large parts of Africa in June aren't exactly a treat as far as heat etc. go.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

NTRabbit posted:

If you're asking about sticking to the letter of the law while violating the spirit, Chelsea setting up their 60 player squad loan-to-sell farm to generate profits as a way of beating FFP is a good example of what the enterprising businessmen and lawyers running those clubs can and will come up with.

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this. Matip is not dodging international duty. He does not want to play international football. At all. Why should he be obligated to?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not sure how many times I need to say this. Matip is not dodging international duty. He does not want to play international football. At all. Why should he be obligated to?

i honestly can't tell if you are pretending to not understand the rule

you can disagree with it but cmon you can't be this stupid surely

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I believe NTRabbit must be from North Korea.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

JFairfax posted:

I like when they run away on internatonal duty

Half of Cuba's team defects to the USA during qualifiers every time.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

RideTheSpiral posted:

i honestly can't tell if you are pretending to not understand the rule

you can disagree with it but cmon you can't be this stupid surely

https://twitter.com/i/moments/821745402076688386

This is the situation as explained by a football lawyer. The two relevant points are 3) and 7).

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Xabi posted:

Need the sauce for this as well.

Have Liverpool fans forgotten the antagonism between Rodgers and Hodgson over Sturridge?

There's also Wenger vs. Hodgson (again) over Wilshere.

This was all in 2014. I remember both managers whined and cried about their players needing a long rest. IIRC, this was after they ran them into the ground, both before and after the friendly break.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Half of Cuba's team defects to the USA during qualifiers every time.

Who's the Cuban dude who played for Seattle forever? He defected by running away from the rest of his group while at a Walmart.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shroud posted:

Have Liverpool fans forgotten the antagonism between Rodgers and Hodgson over Sturridge?

There's also Wenger vs. Hodgson (again) over Wilshere.

This was all in 2014. I remember both managers whined and cried about their players needing a long rest. IIRC, this was after they ran them into the ground, both before and after the friendly break.

The antagonism between Hodgson and Rodgers was because Sturridge got injured every time he played for England (usually because he was being called up when not fully fit). Again, this situation is completely different.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
This says a player can avoid international duty if they communicate in writing to the country before they're called up. Matip is in trouble because he never sent a letter to the Cameroon FA, he was selected for the provisional squad and then told them he wouldn't participate

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

NTRabbit posted:

Because you're representing your country? Is that concept really so hard to fathom?

Patriotism is one step above Down's Syndrome.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Being at all proud of your country is for RETARDS!!!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Can't believe an Irish Liverpool plastic would say something unpatriotic.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mickolution posted:

yes it is, but if you are a normal person with a working brain, you can enjoy your country playing football even if you are not otherwise a patriot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oliwan posted:

yes it is, but if you are a normal person with a working brain, you can enjoy your country playing football even if you are not otherwise a patriot.

lol of all people

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

which country would that be?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think this conversation has run its course, if you want to talk about how dumb international football is make another thread.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

ragle posted:

This says a player can avoid international duty if they communicate in writing to the country before they're called up. Matip is in trouble because he never sent a letter to the Cameroon FA, he was selected for the provisional squad and then told them he wouldn't participate

Oh that's a bit different then.

I bet Liverpool will still get t-shirts made in support of him.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
#JeSuisJoel
#FreeMatip
#againstmodernfootball

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Dunno that it does? Perhaps it helps them keep their direct debits sorted out.

I guess my point was about players getting paid to play for their country, they don't need to be as they're already getting paid. The reason clubs are succesful businesses and players are well paid is because of the success of organised football. To get that advantage everyone agreed that clubs release players to national sides when asked and the players go and play. Doesn't matter what some contract between club and player says.

what the loving gently caress lol

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
back to talking about cool teams that are good like boro

things aitor karanka is gona do after january

1. play negredo at number 10
2. sign bojan and play him as a winger
3. play bamford and stuani as wingers
4. play bamford and stuani as wingers in the same game.
5. play bamford 5 times before getting into an argument with him and freezing him out.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
wow, all this because Liverpoo fans are whinging over their crappy never win the league defence

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Manchester United topped the Money League, sounds like all those potato chip sponsorships paid off

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Jason Sextro posted:

Manchester United topped the Money League, sounds like all those potato chip sponsorships paid off

They also got it from a tractor.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
how does City make that much money?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Business acumen.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Business acumen.

Stones 50m £ begs to differ

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Still better

than David Luiz

Daktari
May 30, 2006

He actually plays well. Just needs to stop hammering free kicks into row z
Let's throw Bravo into the pile of lol signings. At least Hart wasn't sold, just loaned out

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Daktari posted:

He actually plays well. Just needs to stop hammering free kicks into row z
Let's throw Bravo into the pile of lol signings. At least Hart wasn't sold, just loaned out

Yeah, but everything he's said suggests they're going to sell him.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

Sucks for man city. He was way better for them last season, compared to Bravo this season. Bravo just doesn't save shots.
Plus Hart is performing pretty garbage in Italy isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Still better

than David Luiz

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/18/20-best-premier-league-defenders-season-far/david-luiz-number-one/

• Locked thread