Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If anyone cares, I'm doing my Sundance thread differently this year
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

I respect it because the few good scenes share some DNA with Sicario.

its script definitely has some issues but the cinematography is out of this world great.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

its script definitely has some issues but the cinematography is out of this world great.

The style of some people just clicks with you, I think I'd watch pretty much anything Soderbergh shot

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

La La Land isn't really an inferior Umbrellas of Cherbourg, it's actually an inferior New York New York.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
New York New York goes hard af.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LesterGroans posted:

Capone Speak Easy

This and The Fourth Channel caught me off guard, this episode's a blast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

weekly font posted:

I just watched Traffic for the first time and can't believe it didn't win BP since it's Crash + omg the war on drugs!

That was the year that Soderbergh got himself double-nominated for Traffic and Erin Brockovich, wasn't it? I think that was one of those director / picture splits because the voters wanted to give Soderbergh his due but Gladiator was just so insanely popular for so long, hence it getting Picture (and Braveheart gave the Academy a boner for historical epics that lasted like a decade).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

That was the year that Soderbergh got himself double-nominated for Traffic and Erin Brockovich, wasn't it? I think that was one of those director / picture splits because the voters wanted to give Soderbergh his due but Gladiator was just so insanely popular for so long, hence it getting Picture (and Braveheart gave the Academy a boner for historical epics that lasted like a decade).

Yup. He did manage to win Best Director for Traffic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Erin Brockovich is better than Traffic.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

La La Land isn't really an inferior Umbrellas of Cherbourg, it's actually an inferior New York New York.

Can't speak to New York New York (which I need to see ASAP), but it does seem like the comparison to Umbrellas of Cherbourg doesn't hold up beyond the superficial "brightly-colored musical numbers" level (which La La Land essentially abandons midway through, anyway).

They're just very different kinds of tragedy, which is what puzzles me about that particular line of criticism from Biller. Demy's film depicts characters who are torn apart by obligations outside their control, while Chazelle's characters just have incompatible personal ambitions. And at the end of Cherbourg you get the sense that the characters have been unsettled by the reminder of their past relationship and the pain of separation, whereas the ending number of La La Land is dramatizing the mental process by which Ryan Gosling's character concludes that breaking up was the right decision for both of them.

What nobody's really talking about, imo, is that it's merely an inferior simulacrum of Phantom of the Paradise.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The collision of sickly artifice and violent, Cassavetese-esque drama in New York New York is almost too intense to be functionally watchable.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
What's that 70s dystopian movie with Park in the title that everyone loves?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Michael Crichton's WestPark

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Punishment Park

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Punishment Park?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think it's Punishment Park.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
RE: La La Land

Damien Chazelle is guest programmer tonight on TCM.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 18, 2017

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The collision of sickly artifice and violent, Cassavetese-esque drama in New York New York is almost too intense to be functionally watchable.
Such and odd film, especially since it was Scorsese's followup to Taxi Driver.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Raxivace posted:

Such and odd film, especially since it was Scorsese's followup to Taxi Driver.

Let me tell you how much coke Martin Scorsese was doing from 1976-1980

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm probably alone on this one but it's insane to me how cringeworthy like every scene with Alan Arkin is

update: apparently the guy sketching is supposed to be Jack Kirby, and he's played by Michael Parks, which is not terrible casting, but again, I don't think he gets any lines.

There needs to be a movie about Jack Kirby.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the first third of the movie is based on the time jack kirby beat up nazis

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Wait what? The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay reveals another influence to me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Criminal Minded posted:

Wait what? The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay reveals another influence to me

there's a story about kirby being at a hotel or some poo poo and hearing some dudes talk about how great nazis were and beating the poo poo out of them

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I think Kavalier & Clay are basically supposed to be Simon & Kirby mixed with Siegel & Schuster.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Kavalier & Clay are basically supposed to be Simon & Kirby mixed with Siegel & Schuster.

There's a lot of Steranko in there, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

There's a lot of Steranko in there, too.

because kirby liked steranko a ton

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It is really funny and oddly adorable watching the Night Mind guy regard Everyman Hybrid as the height of storytelling because aspects of its plot were planned ahead of time and the story is told from multiple character's perspectives

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'd be down for a fictionalized Jack Kirby: Nazi Hunter movie/TV series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Trump's Cabinet Confirmation Hearings is shaping up to be the best horror tv series since Twilight Zone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

It is really funny and oddly adorable watching the Night Mind guy regard Everyman Hybrid as the height of storytelling because aspects of its plot were planned ahead of time and the story is told from multiple character's perspectives

his videos about the Big THree are booty a f

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what you mean by that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I have no idea what you mean by that

"the youtube videos he created about the three main slenderman series, marble hornets everyman hybrid and tribe twelve, are very bad"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yeah, there's a big part missing where he should be pointing out just how low the standard is for this sort of thing, where there's so much trash and it's so amateurish that this stands out. This is not to say that EMH isn't an accomplishment, it's pretty ambitious for something with a budget of $jack.poo poo, but it's by no means visionary.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

"the youtube videos he created about the three main slenderman series, marble hornets everyman hybrid and tribe twelve, are very bad"

Ah, I guess I've never seen booty used as a negative term.

I Before E posted:

Yeah, there's a big part missing where he should be pointing out just how low the standard is for this sort of thing, where there's so much trash and it's so amateurish that this stands out. This is not to say that EMH isn't an accomplishment, it's pretty ambitious for something with a budget of $jack.poo poo, but it's by no means visionary.

The thing is he specifically says that it's one of the best things he's seen in any medium which is, once again, oddly adorable. He also considers this to be amazing acting.

As for the series themselves, it's funny to me that all of them have things that they do well but are let down really bad by what they suck at. Like MH lacks focus but is the only one that's actually creepy and that can make a puzzle. EMB has focus and planning and is the only one that interacts well with it's audience but it's mostly not scary and is easily the most amateurish of the bunch on pretty much all fronts. 12T has easily the best production but is highly derivative and it's plot just sort of sucks. I still sort of like this poo poo, but MH was the only one I actually had the patience to get through on my own.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The thing is he specifically says that it's one of the best things he's seen in any medium which is, once again, oddly adorable. He also considers this to be amazing acting.

Oy, I'd forgotten about that. Nick is such a goon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah but slenderman sucks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah but slenderman sucks.

It's a good monster and I'd like to see somebody actually competent take the idea on.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I've been listening to the Black Dynamite ost at work and I forgot how dope it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's a good monster and I'd like to see somebody actually competent take the idea on.

I believe two girls awaiting trial already did that

• Locked thread