Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Efexeye posted:

oh, I meant the bands on LU in general, not the Glow Skulls specifically

gonna see FartBarf up there next season probably

Some of them are better than they appear but you don't see their best stuff on the show because they are doing covers/parodies or songs with a bunch of cursing. But yeah, a lot of them are very niche. Still any kind of live music is cool because it gives the crowd something to do during downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think the bands lend just the right carny atmosphere to the show but i cant see myself paying money to watch dudes in lucha masks hump their basses while a lady diddles on a fiddle

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They had that lovely P.O.D. soundalike nu-metal band up there for a few weeks. That was pretty awful, but the rest just sort of play a psychobilly-meets-mariachi style.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Some of them are better than they appear but you don't see their best stuff on the show because they are doing covers/parodies or songs with a bunch of cursing. But yeah, a lot of them are very niche. Still any kind of live music is cool because it gives the crowd something to do during downtime.

The band that played the last several episodes has an amazing cover of Raining Blood, but they only got to do traditional stuff like La Bamba and Cielito Lindo

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The Senator Giroux posted:

The band that played the last several episodes has an amazing cover of Raining Blood, but they only got to do traditional stuff like La Bamba and Cielito Lindo

Metalachi is loving awesome, they have some great Metal covers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
These are kinda random questions, but nothing's happening for several months so we may as well shoot the breeze.

-- For the Famous B/Sagrada Believer's Backlash match, were the fans actually allowed to bring any weapons they wanted, or did producers hand them out to the crowd beforehand? I really hope it was a shoot, just to believe that Melissa Santos really has a giant pair of scissors she keeps around the house and only uses on special occasions.

-- When wrestlers brawl into the stands, do they have production guys who help clear the bleachers for spots, or are the fans just kind of on their own, with maybe the wrestlers waving them away?

-- How often do they do dark segments/comedy spots that aren't intended for TV and are just there to engage the crowd in taping breaks? I've seen the stuff that got on Youtube, like PJ Black beating up Jack Evans in a bunny costume, or Worldwide Underground vs. "These Guys." Do they do any other stuff like that?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

These are kinda random questions, but nothing's happening for several months so we may as well shoot the breeze.

-- For the Famous B/Sagrada Believer's Backlash match, were the fans actually allowed to bring any weapons they wanted, or did producers hand them out to the crowd beforehand? I really hope it was a shoot, just to believe that Melissa Santos really has a giant pair of scissors she keeps around the house and only uses on special occasions.

Sorry to bust the magic, but they were handed out beforehand. The fans had no idea the match was happening beforehand, it was announced and then happened at the same taping. They handed random poo poo out to most people and then had certain things in very specific spots, either for camera shots or for things they knew were going to be used.

Also, Vampiro came out before the match and got in the ring and gave the crowd a very stern speech, basically "We like the idea of this match, and we'd like to be able to do it again, but that depends on you guys not loving it up. So don't clobber the wrestlers. DON'T gently caress THIS UP" leading to a "don't gently caress up, don't gently caress up" chant before the match started.

quote:

-- When wrestlers brawl into the stands, do they have production guys who help clear the bleachers for spots, or are the fans just kind of on their own, with maybe the wrestlers waving them away?

Aside from very specific instances, like having plants in the bleachers for Mantanza to hit, the fans are totally on their own. Some wrestlers give guidance, others will just shoulder check you out the way. Fans are smart enough to get the hell out of the way. One of the refs is always within 10 feet or so, and part of their job is to make sure everything is as safe as possible, but the wrestlers will brawl right up on you. The only concession is that when they know a major brawl is going down in a particular spot, they'll make sure before the taping that no little kids are sitting there and will move them somewhere else. There's a warning before every taping and everyone has to have signed an actual paper waiver to attend a show.

I think I've mentioned it before, but they've cultivated a very "TV smart" crowd of regulars. By that I mean most of the people who are there more than once actively like the product and won't poo poo things up, they want it to look good on TV. So no one is going to try to gently caress up a crowd brawling spot or anything, they just scatter (it also helps that since everything is edited so closely, you're not going to "get yourself over" by screwing with things, you'll just get edited out). You see it in other ways too -- if someone screws up a promo or they do a retake of it, the crowd will play along and react to each take like they are hearing it for the first time. Or you rarely get a "you hosed up" chant or anything like that. Actually one of the cutest things I saw was when Melissa Santos botched a wrestler intro a few times in a row and was flustered -- instead of a "you hosed up" chant, she got an "it's okay, it's okay, it's okay" chant and then she nailed it.

quote:

-- How often do they do dark segments/comedy spots that aren't intended for TV and are just there to engage the crowd in taping breaks? I've seen the stuff that got on Youtube, like PJ Black beating up Jack Evans in a bunny costume, or Worldwide Underground vs. "These Guys." Do they do any other stuff like that?

There's a lot of dark matches, usually one or two per taping, but those are usually tryouts for new people or gimmicks. Pure comedy segments are more rare and are either because they are taping something they want to release as an internet special, or for special occasions (like for Easter).

There's other stuff you don't see to engage the crowd, also. While people are lining up, there's usually some wrestlers wandering in and out who will talk with the fans (the ones I've seen the most are Famous B, Marty the Moth, Willie Mack, Jack Evans, and Jeff Cobb. Striker does this a lot, too). Vampiro usually gives a speech at the start of each taping and often after the intermission too. He's VERY GOOD at being a hype man and will have everyone yelling their throats out before it starts. Melissa will play around with the crowd, responding to people yelling "I love you," doing a spin for the crowd chanting "vuelta vuelta" (or sometimes making Marty Elias do one). Marty Elias has custom guitar picks he flicks into the crowd. Matt Striker will throw t-shirts into the crowd before the show. Even the producers like Chris DeJoseph and Erik Van Wagenen will stop and chat with regular fans before the taping and during breaks.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Xand_Man posted:

^ I laughed so hard when Marty got blackbagged.

The missus and I are about to introduce some friends to the show, any suggestions? I'm thinking All Night Long and one of the Aztec Warfares.

The trailer for season 2 was the best showcase of the feel of LU.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Cross post from the Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/MDoggMattCross/status/821059951510614018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Trips confirmed for the unseen cigar smoking man.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sorry to bust the magic, but they were handed out beforehand. The fans had no idea the match was happening beforehand, it was announced and then happened at the same taping. They handed random poo poo out to most people and then had certain things in very specific spots, either for camera shots or for things they knew were going to be used.

Also, Vampiro came out before the match and got in the ring and gave the crowd a very stern speech, basically "We like the idea of this match, and we'd like to be able to do it again, but that depends on you guys not loving it up. So don't clobber the wrestlers. DON'T gently caress THIS UP" leading to a "don't gently caress up, don't gently caress up" chant before the match started.

Pretty much what I thought. I guess they realized the fans got a little too rough with Hernandez and decided "have literal untrained fans beat up wrestlers" was a bridge too far, even though everybody shoot hates Hernandez.

They'd never allow this on TV, but I would've marked so hard if Sagrada shot a fake gun with the "Pow!" flag and Famous B sold it like literal death.

quote:

Aside from very specific instances, like having plants in the bleachers for Mantanza to hit, the fans are totally on their own. Some wrestlers give guidance, others will just shoulder check you out the way. Fans are smart enough to get the hell out of the way. One of the refs is always within 10 feet or so, and part of their job is to make sure everything is as safe as possible, but the wrestlers will brawl right up on you. The only concession is that when they know a major brawl is going down in a particular spot, they'll make sure before the taping that no little kids are sitting there and will move them somewhere else. There's a warning before every taping and everyone has to have signed an actual paper waiver to attend a show.

It's definitely different from WWE, where if a match spills into the stands they have like 20 guys clearing space for the wrestlers and cameramen. Given the amount of leeway you described, I'm surprised nobody has gotten hurt with the tiny spaces they have to do spots in the bleachers.

Was anyone in this thread at the Matanza/Azteca taping? How do they gimmick the bleachers/office roof for a wrestler to go through it, while making sure nobody breaks it before the planned spot?

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 17, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of the office, do they use a separate set to film all of Dario's office scenes, or is it the same one in the Temple that everybody crashes through?

I'm impressed that Jeremiah's Ouija board stayed put in one spot even after multiple wrestlers fell through the ceiling.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 17, 2017

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Benne posted:

Speaking of the office, do they use a separate set to film all of Dario's office scenes, or is it the same one in the Temple that everybody crashes through?

I'm impressed that Jeremiah's Ouija board stayed put in one spot even after multiple wrestlers fell through the ceiling.

Everything you see is pretty much where it is in the building. Dario exits from the actual office you see on the show, across from that is the bathrooms that Drago is in and side hallway for the Coming Up graphics. Next to audience load-in is the practice ring, and behind THAT is the locker room/gym area. Basically, every corner of that building is used on screen in some form or another. Even the outside gets used, as the parking lot has stood in for some backdrops (like 423-Get-Fame commercials).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Pretty much what I thought. I guess they realized the fans got a little too rough with Hernandez and decided "have literal untrained fans beat up wrestlers" was a bridge too far, even though everybody shoot hates Hernandez.

They'd never allow this on TV, but I would've marked so hard if Sagrada shot a fake gun with the "Pow!" flag and Famous B sold it like literal death.

Hey, we didn't get too rough with Hernandez, he told us to! I read that Hernandez used to work fan strap matches where the fans could pay extra to be part of the lumberjacks. You bet those guys were hitting him as hard as they could. But not every wrestler is going to be down with that. Plus as nasty a welt as those belts could leave, they weren't going to do any lasting damage. Hitting Famous B with a shovel would be a whole different thing.

quote:

It's definitely different from WWE, where if a match spills into the stands they have like 20 guys clearing space for the wrestlers and cameramen. Given the amount of leeway you described, I'm surprised nobody has gotten hurt with the tiny spaces they have to do spots in the bleachers.

Was anyone in this thread at the Matanza/Azteca taping? How do they gimmick the bleachers/office roof for a wrestler to go through it, while making sure nobody breaks it before the planned spot?

I don't know exactly how they gimmick them, but I suspect the wood is precut and just sitting there on a breakaway piece. The wrestlers just have to be careful not to step on it beforehand and to throw the guy through the right spot. For the bleachers spot, they had fake-fan plants protecting the area until it was time for the spot. We were seated right in front of those guys and knew something was up because they didn't look like regular fans -- the guy next to me tried asking one of them "So, some poo poo is going down right there, eh?" and the local worker dude just smiled and said nothing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

There's a different room from Dario's office that looks like a locked utility closet, and that's the one people always go through. It also has a ledge above it, but a smaller one. I think it's to the left of the stairs, while Dario's office is to the right.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

There's a different room from Dario's office that looks like a locked utility closet, and that's the one people always go through. It also has a ledge above it, but a smaller one. I think it's to the left of the stairs, while Dario's office is to the right.

Yeah, that's the one that Mil threw Fenix through and that Mantanza went through during the recent deathmatch. But wrestlers have gone through Dario's office roof, too, Mil Muertes v Mantanza when they both went through was actually into Dario's office.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

StarkRavingMad posted:

Hitting Famous B with a shovel would be a whole different thing.

That would've been great! :haw:

Mick Foley said an ECW audience once tried to hand him a two-man kayak to hit his opponent with. I don't know about that, but I do remember the tape where he brains Sandman with a cast iron skillet and knocks him unconscious. It was a Texas Deathmatch and Sandman was unable to understand that he needed to stay down for a 10 count.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Animal-Mother posted:

That would've been great! :haw:

Mick Foley said an ECW audience once tried to hand him a two-man kayak to hit his opponent with. I don't know about that, but I do remember the tape where he brains Sandman with a cast iron skillet and knocks him unconscious. It was a Texas Deathmatch and Sandman was unable to understand that he needed to stay down for a 10 count.

I don't remember if it's a Botchmania or what, but there's a video of Sandman talking about that match while watching it and laughing hysterically at the fact his unconscious rear end wouldn't stay down and how mad Foley was getting.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So they're starting reruns every Wednesday now. Tonight's episodes are from Season 1, with the ladder match for Dario's money and a Boyle Heights battle royale.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Benne posted:

So they're starting reruns every Wednesday now. Tonight's episodes are from Season 1, with the ladder match for Dario's money and a Boyle Heights battle royale.
Hold on, I don't think you typed that right, I think you meant that this episode features a LADDER MATCH!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

JT Jag posted:

Hold on, I don't think you typed that right, I think you meant that this episode features a LADDER MATCH!

Wait, did you say LADDER MATCH ?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The first ever LU LADDER MATCH!!!!!!

Also be prepared to marvel at how there was NO ONE in the stands during the early part of season 1.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Man I completely forgot that Sexy and Chavo had a feud

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I miss Cuerno :smith:

E: lol at Super Fly and his roid gut

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This actually isn't that bad in terms of people in the stands, I was thinking this episode was earlier in the season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Benne posted:

E: lol at Super Fly and his roid gut
rip King Cuerno

murdered by Mil Muertes

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821885294320328704
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821886406251249664

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Look at how Striker used to get all dressed up for commentary :unsmith:

(edit) I swear that punch at the end looked like he really clocked Dario

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 19, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Watching this S1 main event and I legit did not recognize Catrina, she's really changed her look over the seasons.

Also I'm glad Mil ditched the pinstripe pants, it's not flattering at all.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Watching this S1 main event and I legit did not recognize Catrina, she's really changed her look over the seasons.

Also I'm glad Mil ditched the pinstripe pants, it's not flattering at all.

Hahaha I kind of liked his weird pants. But they don't fit the character very well, especially now that he is a twice resurrected level 3 red eyed death golem

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I really wish we could see more of business suit Mil though

I think there's an entire angle to be had out of Death going corporate

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really dug the striped pants, gave him a very classic luchador vibe at the start. But yeah, as the show went on and he died and came back and his character became more clear, it was a good choice to take away that and give him a more modern look.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mil is one of the bad guys from those old El Santo and Diablo Azul movies.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
DJ was giving out other fun facts through the re-runs, I hope he keeps doing it:

https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821898897790365696
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821901996831608833
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821902390802558977

https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821909355377270785
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821910675475730432
https://twitter.com/chrisdejoseph/status/821911179308113920

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't they have some other guys in mind to play Matanza before settling on Jeff Cobb? IIRC that was a big debate, which is why they waited until Season 2 to reveal him.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Didn't they have some other guys in mind to play Matanza before settling on Jeff Cobb? IIRC that was a big debate, which is why they waited until Season 2 to reveal him.

At one point it was going to be Hernandez.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Van Wagenen was on a podcast this week and had some interesting thoughts:

They didn't know there would be a long mid-season break during the writing/tapings, and in fact they didn't know about the break at all until very recently, late November or early December. He hasn't talked to anyone in charge about it, but from what he does know and his experience working in TV for 26 years, he thinks the reason for the hiatus is because of the two new shows just announced that El Rey is going to be launching. El Rey absolutely needs additional original programming beyond LU to thrive. Those new shows won't premiere until the fall, and so El Rey is likely building in a break into Lucha Underground now so that they can have the first episodes of those new shows run immediately in the slot after LU during the weeks that Ultima Lucha 3 runs, which is the biggest thing El Rey has. As he put it, "You can't just sandwich the premiere of a new show in the middle of a Starsky and Hutch marathon." That's also the reason they haven't said a specific date for the return yet, because they don't have a specific date down for the premiere of the new shows and they need to work backwards from that. So his takeaway isn't that this is a bad indicator for LU; if anything it's a vote of confidence in it in terms of it being the strongest launcher for a new show.

They asked him about Dorian Roldan (one of the owners of AAA) recently being promoted to the General Manager of Lucha Libre FMV (the joint venture of FactoryMade Ventures, Lucha Libre AAA, Robert Rodriguez and MGM that owns LU). He said he thinks its a good indicator because Dorian knows more about touring and other live events and can help out with running that side of things, which the TV people don't know a whole lot about.

He said there are some large announcements coming soon that the fans will be happy about. One of the hosts asked him if he meant the Netflix deal people keep talking about, and he "no commented" on that, although his demeanor indicated that's part of it. But he also said there's more beyond just that.

He said the unexpected break and pushing back the Season 4 tapings does suck in terms of the staff and talent having to wait. One thing he said they are looking at is licensing the talent to use their Lucha Underground gimmicks in other indie promotions, which might help keep them happy and increase their bookings. Another thing they are looking at is ways in which they could cut a deal for other promotions to run a mini Lucha Underground event. The example he gave was in Europe, where they are starting to get a lot of traction. It wouldn't make sense for LU to run its own live show there from scratch, but they could cut a deal where another promotion could use the talent/gimmicks/trade dress of LU for a show and have a live event sponsored by another promotion that already has a premade setup. He also said they're working on some live events for late spring/early summer, probably in the LA area (since he was talking about them as things the show hosts could attend).

Whole podcast is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFx7ipUmmI - it's three hours long and the EVW segment is only part of it, the bit where he talks about Lucha Underground is from about 14 minutes in to around 35 minutes in. They have Chris Roach on after that, although he doesn't say a lot that is super-interesting. Although they do talk about He-Man and have a picture of an unmasked Orko, which is horrifying.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Pentagon Jr quit AAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

exploded mummy posted:

Pentagon Jr quit AAA.

Yeah, given Fenix quitting a few months back, it's no surprise. The question will be if that means anything in terms of LU, it puts him in the pile with Sexy Star, Fenix, and Jack Evans. They still used Sexy last year after she was already on the outs with AAA, and the producers have said "we aren't AAA" when asked if leaving AAA means anything for LU status. I imagine the producers will certainly push to keep using him. Assuming he wants that, but like Fenix it's been a good springboard for him in the US and it's a solid paycheck. But on the other Dorian just got appointed general manager of the LLC, so he may have more power to nix that if he's holding a grudge about it.

I guess we'll see if it means anything when push comes to shove...in like 9 months.

• Locked thread