Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've managed to beat all the mechanical bosses; at this point there's nothing for me to really be doing beyond trying to get a full set of Chlorophyl Armor and grinding for Ankh Shield parts before attempting Plantera, right?

You can always try to fight off a pirate invasion or Old One's Army as a diversion, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Post-plantera progression (dungeon / golem / eclipse) showers you with so many god drat great weapons that i can't focus on anything. Both my hotbar and accessory slots are far too tiny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've managed to beat all the mechanical bosses; at this point there's nothing for me to really be doing beyond trying to get a full set of Chlorophyl Armor and grinding for Ankh Shield parts before attempting Plantera, right?
The Ankh Shield involves some extremely painful drop rates, last I checked, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
One of the items, the Nazar, is easier to farm for before hardmode (largely because there's less dungeon mob variety so the one mob that might drop it, the cursed skull, appears more often).
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Crafting_an_Ankh_Shield

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

The Ankh Shield involves some extremely painful drop rates, last I checked, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Yeah, given that each piece has a 1% drop rate, I'm not exactly going out of my way to grind parts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, given that each piece has a 1% drop rate, I'm not exactly going out of my way to grind parts.
You will want a lot of clorphyte for various post-plantera purposes, though, so I recommend making a lot of spelunker potions, and also mining out all but one of a deposit you find so it can grow back while you're doing other things. It needs adjacent mud to grow into, though.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Drop rates are doubled in expert mode - only took me a few hours to farm up an ankh shield.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've only just started playing that big mod pack (the mod browser easily updating all the mods is a really swell feature), and I'm pretty amazed at the quality of some of these mods. I've seen some enemies I mistook for vanilla, and some new vanilla enemies that I thought "what mod is that from?", which is a good indication of the art, if nothing else. I'm pretty amazed at all the new mechanics too, from weapon suffixes to grab bag goodies, and I love that nearly every mod has added (in most places, suitably costly) recipes for super rare items that would otherwise require ages of grinding. I'm sure on a given playthrough I'll miss 80% of the new mod content because browsing items in-game I'm just seeing so many things I'll probably forget about. I especially love all the quality of life features like compressing common blocks for better storage, and something I've always wanted, the ability to smelt bars down back into ore. Then you've got auto chests and accumulators, customization chests, a slew of new decorations, and even the ability to turn lots of items into placeable trophies for display.

Honestly the only mod so far I'm not thrilled with is Butterknife's Tech Mod, which looks kind of like an entire biome of developer placeholder art and whose mod page is basically "uh, I don't know... guns?"

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah I turned that one off almost immediately.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there any way to see what my +whatever percentages are from all my gear?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was watching some guy stream the other day and there was a counter in the bottom of the screen that told him the % of all the items available he had collected. Any idea what mod/tool was it? Even better, is there a way to know which items I'm missing?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The only real issue I have with that mod pack is that people seemed to really think the Jungle needed to not only be more annoying to traverse, but be the most annoying. I love fighting things that can go through walls in a place with poo poo all for mobility. I still haven't figured out how to fight any of the mod bosses though. Except for one. I was exploring and found an enemy called the "???" I killed it and a giant hell whale murdered me. It was pretty rad.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Nuebot posted:

The only real issue I have with that mod pack is that people seemed to really think the Jungle needed to not only be more annoying to traverse, but be the most annoying. I love fighting things that can go through walls in a place with poo poo all for mobility. I still haven't figured out how to fight any of the mod bosses though. Except for one. I was exploring and found an enemy called the "???" I killed it and a giant hell whale murdered me. It was pretty rad.
There's a key to show basic boss progression in a checklist (customizable in options). Most involve crafting summon items, but once you beat a boss for the first time you'll get an NPC that sells its summon item for cash.
Some of the bosses are ridiculously hard, and with like 5 different mods adding new equipment, sometimes you'll unlock a new material tier that gives you a bunch of crap weapons and one really good one, and finding which one works seems to be an ongoing learning experience here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So there's going to be an 1.3.5 update and so far all they've revealed from it is some new furniture and better translations.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Vib Rib posted:

There's a key to show basic boss progression in a checklist (customizable in options). Most involve crafting summon items, but once you beat a boss for the first time you'll get an NPC that sells its summon item for cash.
Some of the bosses are ridiculously hard, and with like 5 different mods adding new equipment, sometimes you'll unlock a new material tier that gives you a bunch of crap weapons and one really good one, and finding which one works seems to be an ongoing learning experience here.

I learned that today; summoned the Corruption boss that is basically a meaner, more evil Brain of Cthulhu that summons evil rain clouds, and lost. 'Oh well' I thought as I respawned at home, shortly followed by 'oh gently caress' as it teleported to me and proceeded to spawn camp me as I slowly chipped away at its life in between deaths.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

So there's going to be an 1.3.5 update and so far all they've revealed from it is some new furniture and better translations.

What's that mean? They taking out the dumb girl lines during Blood Moons?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

What's that mean? They taking out the dumb girl lines during Blood Moons?

There are French, Italian, Spanish, etc. languages available, and they had used, *drum roll* Google Translate for that. Now they've actually contracted professionals to do that. The rather sexist joke of having female NPCs being crampy during the Blood Moons is probably going to stay since they're there in the English original.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cat Mattress posted:

There are French, Italian, Spanish, etc. languages available, and they had used, *drum roll* Google Translate for that. Now they've actually contracted professionals to do that. The rather sexist joke of having female NPCs being crampy during the Blood Moons is probably going to stay since they're there in the English original.

Now I want a version where the English lines are just running the foreign ones back through google.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Geomancing posted:

I learned that today; summoned the Corruption boss that is basically a meaner, more evil Brain of Cthulhu that summons evil rain clouds, and lost. 'Oh well' I thought as I respawned at home, shortly followed by 'oh gently caress' as it teleported to me and proceeded to spawn camp me as I slowly chipped away at its life in between deaths.

If that's the mod I'm thinking of, the Crimson version is basically fighting three Eater of Worlds at the same time that move faster. The mod maker really loves worm bosses.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

If I could be assed to make an account for their forums I would suggest to them that they should make gem colored tiki torches because there's no lamp in the game that casts strongly colored light. Also more torches like the demon torches but with different ranges of color because there's a lot of untapped potential there. And make a yellow colored glowing brick, maybe hallowed? Basically I want my golden tower to look as sick as my demonite tower. I mean I could take out the awesome looking obsidian lamps and just put demon torches in on the walls and do the same for yellow torches and slap a bunch of yellow gemspark walls behind the bricks in my gold tower, but it wouldn't have the cool pulsing glow that the demon torches give to the demonite tower.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You do get the disco ball and can craft rainbow torches using rainbow bricks but yeah there needs to be more crazy poo poo

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Why is is so damned easy to accidentally toss out a stick of dynamite in your crafting room, thinking you're opening a chest instead?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just chiming on to say that mod pack (sans that lovely tech mod) has really breathed new life into terraria. This coming from someone with roughly 1.6k hours in vanilla that had solid plans all around. Now with all the new poo poo, I'm trying to use mostly mod weapons and armor while playing through a logical progression thanks to the boss checklist.

I should also mention that I'm doing expert, so thankfully I'm just adjusting as I go. I have something like 20 npcs already and have only killed thunderbird and king slime. Working on an arena for the Desert Scourge right now. I crafted an arkhalis mostly for the light and ease of use. I need to do more spelunking for gems and make the magicite staff (since I lucked out and ran into an amber crawler near the beginning of the game).

I'll go ahead and share a bit of a bug that I've heavily been abusing:

If you have Summons out and switch to a weapon with mod added effects (i.e. 41% chance to cursed inferno target) the Summons inherit your effect. Now, if you have a really good effect on your summon weapon, then you're married to it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
This is probably one of my favorite games of the last few years. At first I saw it as a 2D ripoff of minecraft.

Except where in minecraft you spend five years fighting the same drat skeleton, zombie, creepers. Terraria just explodes in content to a degree that is nothing short of insane.

When I first played it. Skeletron at the dungeon was the final boss. And I think I played the game for 40 hours before I beat him and I thought that I had more than gotten my moneys worth. Suffice to say, some content has been added since.

The only thing I don't like is that many of the end game bosses depend on building ridiculous boss arenas to get the most out of the content. I can't just beat the Christmas event in a night using my megashark and top quality armor/ammo. I need to build a mousetrap mob mincer that eats up all the trash mobs in seconds and then eviscerates the bosses as well for me.

Unless this has changed in the past year. I suspect it hasn't.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Why is is so damned easy to accidentally toss out a stick of dynamite in your crafting room, thinking you're opening a chest instead?
I know, right? And how easy it's to accidentally scroll and craft pink dynamite.

As for holding the mouse down until the stack emptied, I blame multiplayer lag.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Pierzak posted:

I know, right? And how easy it's to accidentally scroll and craft pink dynamite.

As for holding the mouse down until the stack emptied, I blame multiplayer lag.

:arghfist::reject:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Pink Dynamite. What would I ever use that for? Dynamite built to miss the target.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Dejawesp posted:

The only thing I don't like is that many of the end game bosses depend on building ridiculous boss arenas to get the most out of the content. I can't just beat the Christmas event in a night using my megashark and top quality armor/ammo. I need to build a mousetrap mob mincer that eats up all the trash mobs in seconds and then eviscerates the bosses as well for me.

Sort of. There's content that goes past the moon events that give you tools to completely wreck them. Problem is that, by the time you can do that, the stuff that you get for doing the moons are worse than what you already have by that point. If you're looking to beat the moons with barely any preparation though, you can do that.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Gimbal lock posted:

Sort of. There's content that goes past the moon events that give you tools to completely wreck them. Problem is that, by the time you can do that, the stuff that you get for doing the moons are worse than what you already have by that point. If you're looking to beat the moons with barely any preparation though, you can do that.

I like to play the fights.... organic you know. Maybe just flatten the terrain a bit. A platform. Like an RPG. But the events end so quickly.

It would have been a different matter if I was killed because the event was too hard but I am vaporizing every single enemy I get my hands on but I'm still nowhere near the pace for the set timers to spawn and kill the final bosses. I would have understood it better if the event lasted until all the mobs or the player was dead/escaped. a single big boss at the end.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dejawesp posted:

Pink Dynamite. What would I ever use that for? Dynamite built to miss the target.
Trolling people, what else?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I still say the moon events are, hands down, the worst encounters/events/bosses, and possibly the worst anything in the game. There's nothing fun about them. At least Martian Madness and the like have definitive endpoints.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dejawesp posted:

This is probably one of my favorite games of the last few years. At first I saw it as a 2D ripoff of minecraft.

Except where in minecraft you spend five years fighting the same drat skeleton, zombie, creepers. Terraria just explodes in content to a degree that is nothing short of insane.

When I first played it. Skeletron at the dungeon was the final boss. And I think I played the game for 40 hours before I beat him and I thought that I had more than gotten my moneys worth. Suffice to say, some content has been added since.

Personally my only annoyance is time limits on the bosses.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Personally my only annoyance is time limits on the bosses.

Tell me about it. My first ever Eye of Cthulhu. I was sticking it out in my makeshift armor and reusing arrows by picking them back up. Crafting fire arrows on the fly. Then right before I win the boss just flew off and that was it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I still say the moon events are, hands down, the worst encounters/events/bosses, and possibly the worst anything in the game. There's nothing fun about them. At least Martian Madness and the like have definitive endpoints.

I didn't have any trouble with the towers outside of being boringly time consuming, but I think Moon Lord took me around a ridiculous 10+ tries just to beat it the first time around. It also forced a vacation from the game for a bit due to just how grueling that fight was.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heartcatch posted:

I didn't have any trouble with the towers outside of being boringly time consuming, but I think Moon Lord took me around a ridiculous 10+ tries just to beat it the first time around. It also forced a vacation from the game for a bit due to just how grueling that fight was.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon events, not the Moon Lord related events.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Oh, I'm dumb then. I really enjoyed the frost/pumpkin moons personally the first few times.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

It's a massive gently caress You to anyone that got that far in Expert Mode, definitely...

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Dejawesp posted:

Toss a bunch straight up in the air, whoever it ends up on when its fuse burns out wins.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Got back into this due to the Ambaire's modpack posted in this thread. While my character for the modset is just about to hit hardmode, is there any advice anyone who's played it is willing to give? Like focus on one mod or another, or make the autochests asap, or avoid killing the ??? in the ocean dear god? Little things that make things more fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Absolutely focus on auto chests as soon as possible. They'll give you basic resources in such supply you'll never need to go hunting for them again. This is especially useful for stuff like ores, souls of flight/light/night, fallen stars, pixie dust, etc.
Always keep an eye out for new weapons. You'll likely be leapfrogging new mods, and chances are armor updates will be much scarcer and rarer than new weapons. When you do get new weapons, reforging is important, then use magic dice on them until you find a modifier you like (or just blank one you don't, like Cursed!), then finally apply an upgrade scroll as needed. A +4 is a pretty good start and gives a sizeable boost, though early weapons will see much less benefit from such upgrades. There's even an item customizer that can rename and dye your weapons, and even the projectiles will be dyed as a result, so it can be good for that personal touch.
The in-game boss menu will give you a pretty good guide for what bosses to take on in what order. Hunting late-game bosses will also net you insane amounts of cash, far faster than any coin farm ever would, so if you need money, buy a summon item from the Mutant and fight the hardest boss you can cakewalk. You'll always gain a profit from doing so, and you can sell the items to boot.

The souls are a huge goal, with the ultimate form of them only being attainable after beating the final most bullshit boss ever who makes Moon Lord look easy, Yharon the Jungle Dragon. The souls combine almost every relevant accessory in a category, so you'll be insanely buffed and have all kinds of conveniences piled on. One alone combines the ankh shield, frostspark boots, lava waders, etc. Use the recipe browser to find out how to craft the souls -- each one requires a Strange Tentacle to complete, so you won't be able to assemble them before beating Moon Lord, but you can make the Essences. They're the pre-hardmode version of the souls, giving a massive boost to a given damage category, one each for melee, magic, ranged, summoning, and throwing. They require Wall of Flesh drops as their ultimate ingredient, but everything else is pre-hardmode, so try to assemble the pieces early, and then as soon as you drop into hardmode you'll have an incredible accessory to boost whatever class you're playing.

Also go into the mod browser in the main menu and search/download the mod "Stack Size Plus" so you can have almost all items stack to 9999. Especially with auto chests, this almost becomes a necessity. You'll be thankful for the convenience.