Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It's not a JPEG sale, it's a sale of "war bonds" :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

...which is why I shave that poo poo smooth, son.

Shorn and botoxed here--it is like a tomato...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

RagnarokZ posted:

Hey, you guys reember the Ouya?

This entire insanity, is pretty much the Ouya on a much grander and more horrible scale, instead of Xboxwhateverthehellhisnamewas, we now have a handful of deranged lunatics defending this trainwreck.

And hey, at least the Ouya was actually released, even if it was total poo poo.

Ouya was the last main train-wreck I followed prior to Star Citizen. Star Citizen is a lot like Ouya writ large.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HycoCam posted:

Is ATV going away? Sure hope someone still posting on the RSI forums or reddit suggests CIG should do a live action/lore show. Screw the updates, just give the backers what they really want--20 minutes of Pusher combined with a few minutes of rendered spaceship scenes. It sure would make Star Citizen good again...

And on a related note--hair follicles on the scrotum are unique--just like a fingerprint.

My balls have like 3 hairs max on them now. I have a new gf.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/821906579805114368
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822090837211353088

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

Shorn and botoxed here--it is like a tomato...

it shouldn't be that color, though.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Airquote that poo poo.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hav posted:

it shouldn't be that color, though.

C'mon. Don't tell me you haven't tried squeezing 'em that hard before . . .

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm. I'm beginning to think it might be possible to make any tweet from CIG more accurate by adding "Because we have no loving idea what we're doing" to the end.
"What type of missions are you hoping to see in the Star Citizen Universe? Because we have no loving idea what we're doing."

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Are CIG just spamming all the commandos with "what do you want to see" type questions? You seem to have posted a hell of a lot of gremlich/lethality answering them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/732271992758534145
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/740361056871141377
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/766615407503474688
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/779120962440663040
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/785395809235963904

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

The article 'Disturbed Jim' was linking.... I think we're safe

http://news.sky.com/story/trolls-could-face-jail-under-new-legal-guidelines-10611929?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Erenthal posted:

Also, yeah, reminder that Shroud of the Avatar is pretty much equally scummy, though at least it seems "playable" (???????)

Better hurry on that 1600 dollar water lot, there's only 74 remaining before they are sold out, and it's marked down from the original 3200 dollars!

e:

And there's fine print as well...

This is great. You spend $1600 on a house in a game that looks like a ship, and you still have to pay taxes on it or it's taken back. That's balls. Thanks Origin guys! I actually used to respect you back in the day.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

SurfaceDetail - your bait is boring and played out now. I'm gonna start probating your if you keep trying to slapfight idiots who take it.

Idiots - Stop taking SurfaceDetail's bait. I'm going to start probating you for doing it.

You are the best mod.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fain80 posted:

I applaud the attempt, comrade.

Got any screenshots from your goodbye thread or an archive link? 'something went wrong' by time time I clicked it...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

gently caress you, Chris Roberts! You piece of poo poo motherfucker, I hope you choke on a caviar hors-d'oeuvre in the middle of the Atlantic.

e: f;b

This is so sad. :(

I hope this guy gets to be satisfied with the game at some point.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The Titanic posted:

This is so sad. :(

I hope this guy gets to be satisfied with the game at some point.

Roberts is looking less and less like an incompetent given too much money, and more like Willy Wonka.

Someone should visit the Santa Monica office and see if a team of orange programmers sing the oompa-loompa song as a warning.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I still can't believe he named his official website Roberts Space Industries.com

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

...which is why I shave that poo poo smooth, son.

:same:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I still can't believe he named his official website Roberts Space Industries.com

You know how some people just can't get enough of themselves ?

Chris Roberts is the fatter middle aged male version of Kim Kardashian

And that's saying a few things about Sandi 'Ray J' Gardiner

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

eh I think he's just a guy who got really lucky, whats the phrase about catching lightning in a bottle or whatever. Then more games got made as he sat around as creative consultant and bullshit and he thought he was a visionary genius.

It's like notch made minecraft and all that poo poo but he doesn't do anything now. But in 20 years if made a kickstarter for some game I bet he'll have a cult following too.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

phosdex posted:

eh I think he's just a guy who got really lucky, whats the phrase about catching lightning in a bottle or whatever. Then more games got made as he sat around as creative consultant and bullshit and he thought he was a visionary genius.

It's like notch made minecraft and all that poo poo but he doesn't do anything now. But in 20 years if made a kickstarter for some game I bet he'll have a cult following too.

I think you're partially right , but that doesn't forgive him for milking stupid nerds while he knows he has neither the pure talent, creativity , or genius everyone thinks he has

It's the kind of plot line that would have the movie end with Roberts giving all the money back himself since he couldnt live from the guilt of fleecing so many people,

Instead he will continue to savant his way through every interview and public event until the doors are finally shuttered

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

This is great. You spend $1600 on a house in a game that looks like a ship, and you still have to pay taxes on it or it's taken back. That's balls. Thanks Origin guys! I actually used to respect you back in the day.

No you salty asshat, you spend $1600 for the lot of virtual land next to the ship. The green area. It is worth it because the view is top-notch.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They did estimate it properly. You just left them high and dry. I also suggest you read the tos, all purchases go to support development. I understand that cig has decided to give refunds but you arent morally entitled to one.

Is that the same ToS that stated they would release their financials if they hadn't delivered 18 months after the original kickstarter release date?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well yeah. That's true in all countries that don't have freedom of speech. :smuggo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

It turns out that DisturbedJim is actually an old friend:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
The "Shroud of the Avatar" screenshots made me curious about what other people thought about the game, since I grew up with Ultima, and this article from 2013 is loving spot on and every bit as relevant to CR

http://techland.time.com/2013/03/11/before-you-drop-money-on-richard-garriotts-shroud-of-the-avatar/

quote:

I don’t mean to sound like a curmudgeon, except yes I do: Being Richard Garriott isn’t enough to persuade me to hand someone cash to make a game. Garriott’s track record — and I think I’m being generous here — has been pretty spotty since the early 1990s. I don’t believe in patronizing celebrity designers for nostalgia’s sake, or that someone who knew how to design something 20 years ago necessarily understands what it takes to break the mold today and simultaneously dot the i’s and cross the t’s.

The author, Matt Peckham, also wrote an article about SC back in 2014

http://time.com/61431/check-out-12-minutes-of-star-citizen-not-being-the-game-youll-play/

quote:

But then we’re looking at the disjointed scraps of something that’s not even a game yet. The apparently high school-age audience (that mistook a space sim demo for a sporting event where dimwits shout half-intelligbly) didn’t seem to mind. Yes, the demonstrator bounces off an asteroid toward the end (several times). Did you think that was a feature? That you were watching a representation of what you’ll play in one or maybe two years?

Nothing has changed.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

No you salty asshat, you spend $1600 for the lot of virtual land next to the ship. The green area. It is worth it because the view is top-notch.

Well duh, you would know that if you knew anything about game development...

Houses are separate.

Basements are separate as well.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

GazChap posted:

IT'S... THE WALL OF CROBBLER!

(thanks SirPenguin for the gif, although I squared it up)

I am immersed in this smorgasbord of vision. I am glad of it, for my life would lack all meaning without this artistic and bold vision of the science fiction future that'll redeem us all in the end, refund or no. Fine work!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They did estimate it properly. You just left them high and dry. I also suggest you read the tos, all purchases go to support development. I understand that cig has decided to give refunds but you arent morally entitled to one.

Yeah, they are. There is no real end in sight to this development process. How many years are these people supposed to wait? Yet we see all sorts of nice things being purchased (don't even ask me to believe they were brought in from home and crap like that) that are NOT directly development related with what could only be backer money. The only real thing I think CIG develops is excuses and misdirection.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Whoa, the Twilight Zone... vote Trump, I guess

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Translation: When things are going swimmingly at CIG that even the bitter husks can't find much fault in it rational calm people can finally find a voice amidst the peanut gallery.

Not so much swimmingly, I'd say, than desperately flailing trying to keep from drowning.

(Explains Chris's hand motions, actually.)

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 19, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

whats his name

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Ben

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

did he eat your pubes while mumbling about angry space cats

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hey there sugar wanna hang with me? I don't wanna brag but I'm known as

AssRapistDude420

on the internet

:smug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Whoa. So you don't even get the ship??? Just a square next to a water tile? No house or anything???

Why, Origin, why? You used to be such good guys. :negative:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

The Titanic posted:

Whoa. So you don't even get the ship??? Just a square next to a water tile? No house or anything???

Why, Origin, why? You used to be such good guys. :negative:

It was Chris Roberts who drove Origin into financial turmoil and caused them to sell out to EA.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dude. You need to go do something else for a while. You are becoming what they are.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Lladre posted:

Dude. You need to go do something else for a while. You are becoming what they are.

That line became blurry for this entire thread a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's why I tell people to go take a break from time to time.
No one listens though.

As far as that Shroud of Avatar housing thing. If you were a kickstarter backer, you get a tax exempt deed. So you never lose your place.
If you are a wealthy filthy non backer you can buy a deed but have to pay taxes or it will revert back to unowned.