Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Space Hamlet posted:

Speaking of expeditions, do unstable environments exist in any form in Generations? There's still the food skill that refers to 'em...

That just refers to quests where's there's a chance of another monster spawning I assume, so yeah they still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Space Hamlet posted:

Speaking of expeditions, do unstable environments exist in any form in Generations? There's still the food skill that refers to 'em...

Yeah. The quest info will tell you whether or not the environment is unstable

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Ah OK. I thought I remember seeing something about that. I'm still working through MH4U anyway. I can wait. Thanks :)

IIRC their exact quote was that there wasn't going to be a MHXG. Correct by technicality :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just fought Nerscylla for the first time. Maybe a great sword wasn't the most appropriate weapon for that fight.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Just fought Nerscylla for the first time. Maybe a great sword wasn't the most appropriate weapon for that fight.

I wouldn't worry about it. Greatsword kinda underperforms in games that aren't Generations until you can get Focus on your armor.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

IIRC their exact quote was that there wasn't going to be a MHXG. Correct by technicality :v:

Naw, it wasn't even that much. It was more like "currently, we have no plans for a G-rank version of MHX". Probably true, especially if that was still a 2015 interview! But then they did have plans and it exists.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Just finished the mission where they introduce Mizutsune and welp, that sure is a hell of a way to introduce a monster. :stare:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Jade Rider posted:

Just finished the mission where they introduce Mizutsune and welp, that sure is a hell of a way to introduce a monster. :stare:

Soap dragon best dragon. It is known.

(I really tried to beat Mizutsune there, but even though I made it flee several times, I couldn't seal the deal before fainting a third time. The later encounter seemed a lot easier. Mizutsune didn't show up the 2nd time I attempted that particular mission, so either it's random or it's scripted to go off once?)

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Soap dragon best dragon. It is known.

(I really tried to beat Mizutsune there, but even though I made it flee several times, I couldn't seal the deal before fainting a third time. The later encounter seemed a lot easier. Mizutsune didn't show up the 2nd time I attempted that particular mission, so either it's random or it's scripted to go off once?)

All the fated four are scripted, yeah. And they all have like 4x Thier normal HP. You're meant to just run from them. You can kill them though, it will just take most of your allotted time.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I finally got my beloved Anat set again, and I can't believe that back in 4U I forgot the chakra pieces existed. I was tossing the EX Gore waist on to round it out before, and in searching the armory for waist pieces that wouldn't clash too hard with the rest of the set, I realized "oh right, there's this invisible piece with three slots". gently caress me, that's the best thing for fashion, how did I not notice that sooner?

It may not be the best set ever, but gemming in enough for HG earplugs and Latent Power +2 is still handy, and the whole set looks so loving cool. I wish they made an Anat figure to go with the Rage figure that came out a while back.

I guess now I don't have much excuse to not go after Alatreon and Amatsu. Still haven't beaten either, but aside from the metal Raths, that's about it. Just in time to cool down for MHXX, I guess, whenever that comes out.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

All the fated four are scripted, yeah. And they all have like 4x Thier normal HP. You're meant to just run from them. You can kill them though, it will just take most of your allotted time.

Ah, that jives with my experience. I did end up running from the last two since I figured that was the gimmick. :sigh: Is it wrong to want to murderhobo much stronger critters?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Ah, that jives with my experience. I did end up running from the last two since I figured that was the gimmick. :sigh: Is it wrong to want to murderhobo much stronger critters?

You get quests to fight them for real later on. Astalos in particular is probably one of my favorite fights in the game. Mizutsune is up there, too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

You get quests to fight them for real later on. Astalos in particular is probably one of my favorite fights in the game. Mizutsune is up there, too.

Yeah, I just wanted to murder them back then, too. I actually liked the Mizutsune fight the best. Astalos felt familiar already, and Gammoth was just kind of frustrating -- not due to difficulty, but just because his scale kinda defied the mechanics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Killing Zynogre the first time you see it was a rite of passage for my group. I don't remember if he has inflated health though.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there any chance they'll bring back more subspecies for XX?

I miss Stygian Zinogre, but I also miss his baller armor set that's practically made for greatsword. Focus and evasion built into one neat package, and you get a free damage boost via unscathed for not getting hit for as long as possible while styling on monsters. It owns.

I'm mostly just waiting for XX at this point, Gen turned out to not be my cup of tea and I burned out after uncapping my hr.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there any chance they'll bring back more subspecies for XX?

I miss Stygian Zinogre, but I also miss his baller armor set that's practically made for greatsword. Focus and evasion built into one neat package, and you get a free damage boost via unscathed for not getting hit for as long as possible while styling on monsters. It owns.

I'm mostly just waiting for XX at this point, Gen turned out to not be my cup of tea and I burned out after uncapping my hr.

Almost no chance. They specifically went into MHX with "no subspecies allowed", designing deviants as alternatives to them. I'd expect more deviants rather than the inclusion of subspecies. They also made R series armor to fill in the gap left by no U series armor and I expect that to continue with G-rank.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Decus posted:

Almost no chance. They specifically went into MHX with "no subspecies allowed", designing deviants as alternatives to them. I'd expect more deviants rather than the inclusion of subspecies. They also made R series armor to fill in the gap left by no U series armor and I expect that to continue with G-rank.

They also said that MHX wouldn't get a G-version, so who knows at this point.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

They also said that MHX wouldn't get a G-version, so who knows at this point.

Only they didn't say that ever. They said "there are currently no plans" in like 2015.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Decus posted:

:negative:

I would say I hope he's in MH5, but I'm pretty sure Capcom has an actual real life desire sensor and I'm afraid of jinxing it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Wrist Watch posted:

desire sensor

No.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Oh my gawd my little palicoes made a tank and attacked the Tigrex like a silly little Godzilla movie. Why doesn't Generations have that?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Palico tanks are still around in Generations. You just need to unlock the skill, and most people don't run with it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Allarion posted:

Palico tanks are still around in Generations. You just need to unlock the skill, and most people don't run with it.

Palicos are way more :effort: in Gen, to be fair. I just got an array for Meownster Hunter and left it at that.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Haquer posted:

Palicos are way more :effort: in Gen, to be fair. I just got an array for Meownster Hunter and left it at that.

There's a bunch of little things like this that have given me a hankering to go back to 4U now.

I got more done in Gen than I have in any other MH game, but that means that although I now have good sets of pretty much all the weapons I like in Gen I've still never experienced G Rank stuff, and there's tons of variants I have never fought or fought like one time in 4U before I stopped near the beginning of High Rank. I know people still run G Rank stuff on 4U but is there any community for anything else?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm running through 4U right now. Haven't used online yet though

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ReWinter posted:

There's a bunch of little things like this that have given me a hankering to go back to 4U now.

I got more done in Gen than I have in any other MH game, but that means that although I now have good sets of pretty much all the weapons I like in Gen I've still never experienced G Rank stuff, and there's tons of variants I have never fought or fought like one time in 4U before I stopped near the beginning of High Rank. I know people still run G Rank stuff on 4U but is there any community for anything else?

I've played 3U, 4U, X and Gen and 4U is definitely my favorite out of the lot so far. I do like the different styles but a bunch of the other things that were added in X/Gen are just pains in the rear end.

Also gently caress variant farming.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing 4U at the moment and I think the palico system in Generations is wayyy better. Generations improved upon so many small things (and some not so small things, like weapons) that 4U already feels kinda dated to me. Still a very fun game though, and from what I've gathered it had more longevity than Gen when it came to really high level play (G rank, basically). :shobon:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
G-rank is good, but 4U's was not. When a monster isn't fun to fight in low or high rank it doesn't magically become more fun to fight in G-rank, is the thing. Most of the actually good 4th gen and 3rd gen monsters and most of the good gen 2 stuff like Tigrex are too sparse compared to the bad.

3U is great though. I can't think of a single bad fight in the entirety of its G-rank outside of the "most elder dragons are bad no matter the game" caveat but at least they are all actually at the tailest of ends so you can skip them without locking yourself out of anything other than their gear/weapons whereas there's an entire tier of them required to continue progressing in 4U. It's not that elder dragons are hard or anything--they just aren't as well put together as other fights. MHXX should be fine as well--its monster selection is more wheat and less chaff compared to 4U--so long as they don't build an entire tier of the worst fights in the series, like a Loa-Shan Lung, Yama Tsukami, Jhen Mohran, Dalamadur tier that's required to get to more deviants or hyper fights.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Decus posted:

G-rank is good, but 4U's was not. When a monster isn't fun to fight in low or high rank it doesn't magically become more fun to fight in G-rank, is the thing. Most of the actually good 4th gen and 3rd gen monsters and most of the good gen 2 stuff like Tigrex are too sparse compared to the bad.

3U is great though. I can't think of a single bad fight in the entirety of its G-rank outside of the "most elder dragons are bad no matter the game" caveat but at least they are all actually at the tailest of ends so you can skip them without locking yourself out of anything other than their gear/weapons whereas there's an entire tier of them required to continue progressing in 4U. It's not that elder dragons are hard or anything--they just aren't as well put together as other fights. MHXX should be fine as well--its monster selection is more wheat and less chaff compared to 4U--so long as they don't build an entire tier of the worst fights in the series, like a Loa-Shan Lung, Yama Tsukami, Jhen Mohran, Dalamadur tier that's required to get to more deviants or hyper fights.

Underwater combat can eat my entire rear end in a top hat.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

What are these awful monsters in 4U? I thought they were all pretty fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope MHXX brings back Jaggi's extended family.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Wrist Watch posted:

The only monsters I don't like in 4U are ones that I hate in FU and X as well: Yian Kutku and Garuga.

gently caress those chickens.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Countblanc posted:

I hope MHXX brings back Jaggi's extended family.

Same. I think as raptor clones go the -aggis are better designed and way more fun to fight than the -dromes. I don't know what the appeal is for Velocidrome over Great Jaggi at all unless folks get some kind of nostalgia out of it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Meldonox posted:

Same. I think as raptor clones go the -aggis are better designed and way more fun to fight than the -dromes. I don't know what the appeal is for Velocidrome over Great Jaggi at all unless folks get some kind of nostalgia out of it.

Yeah, agreed. Great Jaggi was fun to fight and I like Great Wroggi's design way better than Iodrome's. The 'dromes are ugly and dumb.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Haquer posted:

The only monsters I don't like in 4U are ones that I hate in FU and X as well: Yian Kutku and Garuga.

gently caress those chickens.

I completely forgot about them. I'm pretty sure they're not in any G rank keys though, so I just pretended they didn't exist.

I used to hate gravios and kushala until I tried gunning them and now they're my favorite fights to use bowguns on.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'd be okay with those chickens if they didn't SCREAM all the time holy poo poo the screaming, my ears. :barf: The 'dromes aren't mechanically interesting fights; Great Maccao was much better.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

What everybody else has said with Gravios, Khezu, Basarios and Cephadrome added.

You can solo bow Black Gravios in 15-20 minutes, but it's not going to be 15-20 minutes of an interesting fight so much as 15-20 minutes of chore. Ditto for Khezu, Basarios and Cephadrome though thankfully faster. Added together with the birds and the dromes and the elder dragons it's a significant amount of monsters that just aren't fun compared to newer stuff, like Gigginox vs. Khezu or Barroth vs. Gravios/Basarios.

It's like how Gen is too full of gather quests. Sure, you can ignore them to a point but it still would have been a better experience without them. 4U G-rank would have been better if it was built toward a length such that every new monster was a key. Instead, only subspecies are keys most of the time and of all things they often made Gen 2 monsters have 2 keys, one for main and one for subspecies.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Meldonox posted:

in frontier the velocidromes spit farcasters at you

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

How can you hate Khezu??? That big, slow, lumbering, awkward rubber penis just doesn't know what to do when hunter-senpai comes around.

Khezu is the purest representation of the monster hunter fanbase in game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

orphean posted:

How can you hate Khezu??? That big, slow, lumbering, awkward rubber penis just doesn't know what to do when hunter-senpai comes around.

Khezu is the purest representation of the monster hunter fanbase in game :v:

With a ranged weapon it should never even have a chance at hitting you, which is boring--it's just an even easier to kill rathian. With a melee weapon it wastes your time on repeat, which is boring--it's just a health spongier, time-waster rathian. Gigginox was a good redux of it but then for whatever reason they decided to go back to the inferior version for four releases without really touching it up.

Khezu would at least be more atmospheric if caves were darker/they kept the torch stuff and if target camera didn't work for it until after a clear sighting. But, without that it's just poorly thought out and has absolutely nothing going for it these days.

• Locked thread