Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lum_ posted:

I find it also makes for a really nonsensical/chaotic WW2 where everyone just divides up into seemingly random blocs and declares war on everyone else because every major has a focus goal to declare war on every other major.

Which is kinda fun, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Okay then, I think what I did was take enough time that the purge didn't finish before the Trotsky event fired. Interesting.

Trotsky shows up at the 4th International, if you never even think about purging

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lum_ posted:

I find it also makes for a really nonsensical/chaotic WW2 where everyone just divides up into seemingly random blocs and declares war on everyone else because every major has a focus goal to declare war on every other major.

Yeah I think this is probably the biggest issue at the moment. Having some of them tied to events, or putting a date restriction on some of them might help it a bit.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I was pleased to finally successfully invade the USA in one of my games today. I realized I kept having enormous problems in the past because I ran out of convoys - keeping twenty four divisions of main battle tanks fueled takes a lot of logistics, even if you have great ports and infrastructure. What I just want is some way to make sure I'm doing the peace talks right - amd also Latvia bugged out and became independent. But whatever, it's just Latvia.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Hi I'm Admiral Donitz and I'm here to say: submarines in this game are exceedingly bad at their job: sinking boats

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Has anyone made a "Heil Donitz" mod yet?

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Hi I'm Admiral Donitz and I'm here to say: submarines in this game are exceedingly bad at their job: sinking boats

What are you talking about? They are great at sinking themselves! Lost 40+ subs in three months as Russia versus Japan in my last game.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

dylguy90 posted:

Has anyone made a "Heil Donitz" mod yet?

Heil Donitz!

Shocking news has come out of Berlin - two hours ago, our beloved Fuhrer Adolf Hitler took his own life. Oberkommando der Marine Karl Dönitz has been named Hitler's successor. He has been provided with General Eisenhower's telephone number, the English for "We give up," and an analysis of our military situation in one rude word.

>This is a great opportunity!
>You've taken the wind out my sails a bit there...

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 19, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Narrator posted:

Heil Donitz!

Shocking news has come out of Berlin - two hours ago, our beloved Fuhrer Adolf Hitler took his own life. Oberkommando der Marine Karl Dönitz has been named Hitler's successor. He has been provided with General Eisenhower's telephone number, the English for "We give up," and an analysis of our military situation in one rude word.

>This is a great opportunity!
>You've taken the wind out my sails a bit there...

I need this more than anything I ever needed in my life before

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Checking in here, is the AI still garbage and builds 4 billion infantry instead of tanks in a supposedly WW2 game? :lol:

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

Kilravock posted:

What are you talking about? They are great at sinking themselves! Lost 40+ subs in three months as Russia versus Japan in my last game.

its loving infuriating how bad they are against anything that isn't a convoy. I even used the console to give myself the max level ones in '39, and 40 of them can't do poo poo against a pair of destroyers? gently caress off

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
As a veteran of Silent Hunter let me tell you about uboots.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

its loving infuriating how bad they are against anything that isn't a convoy. I even used the console to give myself the max level ones in '39, and 40 of them can't do poo poo against a pair of destroyers? gently caress off

Destroyers are a far better investment than subs.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
really

just build destroyer swarms

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I really hope the next two dlc's are air and naval focused.

e: and by hope I mean paradox employees that are reading this do it!! do it now!!!!!!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
subs are for convoy hunting and for pinning down enemy fleets before driving your entire warfleet onto that square so they all arrive at once and pulp everything as ships slowly trickle in

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

The more i play this game the more i'm convinced it's actually extremely bad

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Everything that isn't ground combat and manufacturing giant armies in this game is pretty bad, yes.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Yes

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Video games are the worst.

Away all Goats posted:

Everything that isn't ground combat and manufacturing giant armies in this game is pretty bad, yes.

Research is solid, and there's some good ideas in other places.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AceRimmer posted:

Checking in here, is the AI still garbage and builds 4 billion infantry instead of tanks in a supposedly WW2 game? :lol:

Sorry if you haven't heard but Modern Videogams are too complex to have AI that can play them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In today's dev diary Podcat announced that the game is switching focus to become a free to play online MOBA so they don't need to worry about the AI any more.

Sorry.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

xthetenth posted:

Video games are the worst.

Research is solid, and there's some good ideas in other places.

Yeah, the way research works is better. Factories are better. Political focuses are more engaging than the old event style (though I wish there was a bit more variety in timing). I like the new way divisions work but I know some people prefer how it used to be. I love the new puppets system. I'd say in general it's a step up and naval doesn't feel unsalvageable but I can't see how air's ever going to be good if air zones keep working as they do now. You can make air combat more transparent and rebalance the usefulness of planes but that won't stop the weird distorted logic where you need heavy fighters to support a landing in Japan because they suffer crippling penalties for not being able to cross the entire place.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Speaking of, why are only a fourth of my planes engaging the British in Northern France? I should be crushing them here

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Isn't there a hardcap on how many planes you can actually have in an air zone?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

spectralent posted:

Yeah, the way research works is better. Factories are better. Political focuses are more engaging than the old event style (though I wish there was a bit more variety in timing). I like the new way divisions work but I know some people prefer how it used to be. I love the new puppets system. I'd say in general it's a step up and naval doesn't feel unsalvageable but I can't see how air's ever going to be good if air zones keep working as they do now. You can make air combat more transparent and rebalance the usefulness of planes but that won't stop the weird distorted logic where you need heavy fighters to support a landing in Japan because they suffer crippling penalties for not being able to cross the entire place.

The air-zone system feels like the only thing in this game that just needs to be completely scrapped and reworked to me. Like, probably just let the player attach close air support to armies and have it go based on raw distance from airport to combat province. Then have Bombing Missions operate based on States (if the range reaches any province in the state at all, it's within range). And fighters could just be attached to either of those wing types, or in their own they could be setup to cover a range of states (or automatically cover all states within range), either defensively or aggressively. Reduce the amount of microing defense among other things.

I dunno, probably a million problems with something like that too. Something better than the current system would be nice at least, but the zones seem both an extra layer of unneeded complexity and extra micro and extremely annoying at the same time.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The air-zone system feels like the only thing in this game that just needs to be completely scrapped and reworked to me. Like, probably just let the player attach close air support to armies and have it go based on raw distance from airport to combat province. Then have Bombing Missions operate based on States (if the range reaches any province in the state at all, it's within range). And fighters could just be attached to either of those wing types, or in their own they could be setup to cover a range of states (or automatically cover all states within range), either defensively or aggressively. Reduce the amount of microing defense among other things.

I dunno, probably a million problems with something like that too. Something better than the current system would be nice at least, but the zones seem both an extra layer of unneeded complexity and extra micro and extremely annoying at the same time.

I'd just do air bases like radio towers and have them span adjacent provinces based on the range of the plane. Where bubbles overlap you can get detection and contacts. Seems simple enough and it piggybacks on something that looks like it's in the game already, at least.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think the air and naval systems are completely unsalvageable, but I think somewhere along the way they forgot their objective of reducing micromanagement. It's still better than HoI3, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I need this more than anything I ever needed in my life before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pje5ROe5Y_w

rear end struggle posted:

really

just build destroyer swarms

I haven't played this game in a few patches but is this still the best (or at least, a surprisingly useful) naval strategy, or did they make it so that you have to actually build other ships now?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

spectralent posted:

I'd just do air bases like radio towers and have them span adjacent provinces based on the range of the plane. Where bubbles overlap you can get detection and contacts. Seems simple enough and it piggybacks on something that looks like it's in the game already, at least.

Yeah I imagine the challenge of doing a setup like that is how you figure out engagements, how many planes participate, and how you let the player control coverage and such. Because right now there's no concept of wings covering multiple areas, so that's a whole new set of questions you'd have to answer. Do you add stuff like coverage or detection or reinforce time more like how Naval fleets work? Or do you just make it like any overlap between your wing's coverage and the enemy's means a full on battle immediately? What happens when you get wings that are getting overlap from multiple different sources, does it work like ground combat does in that situation? And so on.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think the air and naval systems are completely unsalvageable, but I think somewhere along the way they forgot their objective of reducing micromanagement. It's still better than HoI3, though.

I mean, the ships system hardly has much micromanagement. The way it works so far as I've seen it is you just keep everything in one doomstack and then click on a battle to have 100+ ships all show up in a line and nuke them off the face of the earth.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't played this game in a few patches but is this still the best (or at least, a surprisingly useful) naval strategy, or did they make it so that you have to actually build other ships now?

Nah, it's still not perfect but DD swarms will get eaten alive by other boats. The only problem I think is that you end up building swarms of DDs anyway because they all get destroyed so quickly in fleet battles.

They are still good though since they draw fire and are so cheap to replace. While your DDs are getting shot to pieces your other ships can fight at full org and deal more overall damage. (If I'm understanding the mechanics correctly)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ainsley McTree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pje5ROe5Y_w

Carriers will obliterate destroyers before they can get in range.

Honestly this is true of any ship v. carrier.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

On a shoestring production budget I've had the best results with a token destroyer force and as many light cruisers and eventually battlecruisers as I can build. If you have enough production trading up for battleships is even better. Something like a 6-1 ratio of destroyers to capital ships works out nicely.

In any naval engagement the armor and guns on a capital ship let it blast the enemy fleet to pieces or run away before they get sunk. If you're operating in a sea zone close enough to an airfield you can supplement your fleet with naval bombers in the skies above and easily be able to detect and ambush enemy fleets overwhelmingly. Any capital ship (even light cruisers) can do a coastal bombard attack giving really nice bonuses with attempting naval invasions or just fighting up a coastline.

Carriers are only the kings of the open ocean far away from any airbases. If you bring a carrier into the Med or anywhere near a large airfield it is liable to get its airwing torn to shreds by thousands of enemy fighters

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are there any good mods for going democratic or communist as germany?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you're interested in the naval mechanics then this thread on the official forum is a must-read.

Basically:

Destroyers are your hitpoints. They're cheap for how much fire they can take (not directly, but due to their evasion stat). Their torpedoes allow them to eat undefended capital ships. Don't just bring them, because...

Light cruisers eat destroyers alive thanks to having armour the destroyer can't pierce, and a gun that will wreck a destroyer. However, you shouldn't just bring them and forget destroyers because...

Heavy cruisers eat both light cruisers and destroyers. You want them protected by your other screens though, since torpedoes will wreck them.

Battlecruisers, battleships and super-heavy battleships are pretty much an arms race since a ship whose armour cannot be pierced by its opponent's guns will wreck that opponent. If your enemy only has heavy cruisers, you can get by fine with battlecruisers. If he only has battlecruisers, you'll kill those well with battleships. Super-heavy battleships will defeat battleships.

Any serious fleet wants four carriers, though - their ability to bypass the screening ships and go straight for the capital ships is invaluable. If you think the enemy won't bring many carrier planes to the fight, you can go heavy on the carrier naval bombers. If you think he will, go heavy on the carrier fighters.

Submarines are kinda bad at the moment. Some players report good success by putting them in groups of five in remote sea zones, since five subs are plenty to kill any number of convoys, five subs won't do something dumb like engage a proper enemy fleet, and you won't cry if you lose five subs anyway.

Fleet composition should be:

Four carriers
A third of your dockyards building either super-heavy battleships, battleships and/or battlecruisers
A third of your dockyards building heavy cruisers
A third of your dockyards building light cruisers and destroyers

There's a ton more words to be said about the naval mechanics, and you can break the hard-and-fast rules I've laid down above with variants (like if you put 3 points in battleship armour they become unpiercable by other battleships, allowing you to counter battleships with battleships instead of with super-heavy battleships) but that should get you started.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What should a navally-challenged country like South Africa focus on, considering the limited resources and time?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Funky Valentine posted:

What should a navally-challenged country like South Africa focus on, considering the limited resources and time?

Seems kinda pointless for them to have a navy given

1. That they can just march straight north and fight Italy (assuming a historical game)

2. They have no dockyards at all at game start

but a late-war carrier task force is possible.

In an ahistorical game you can just build some subs and raid allied shipping around the Cape.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Funky Valentine posted:

3 posts above yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOvZ3tqbTU

Dan and Daniel play an hour of Black ICE, and hilariously miss the point troll the devs by turning all their starting divisions into infantry.