Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
The only break you should take is when you are probated. Commit people. Commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Lladre posted:

It's why I tell people to go take a break from time to time.
No one listens though.

As far as that Shroud of Avatar housing thing. If you were a kickstarter backer, you get a tax exempt deed. So you never lose your place.
If you are a wealthy filthy non backer you can buy a deed but have to pay taxes or it will revert back to unowned.

if I wanna pay taxes I'l play real life offline.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

He's playing with toys now.

And Ben's shot from the nipples up, so I guess the buttons on his shirt have finally lost it.

The ship's face says it all

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Erenthal posted:

Well duh, you would know that if you knew anything about game development...

Houses are separate.

Basements are separate as well.

Is that real world dollars? Pretty expensive poo poo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JugbandDude posted:

They could probably raise the dun-basement prices by about 30%.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mangoose posted:

Whoa, the Twilight Zone... vote Trump, I guess

He has to be posting from an alternate reality. I bet the Star Wars prequels were awesome in his world.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

JugbandDude posted:

Ha, kidding me. Those houses are affordable. Most don't even cost a Hornet. None of them cost more than a Constellation. Hell, most of those prices are like 10% of an Idris. Small potatoes in the virtual goods that don't and never will exist sphere.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha, kidding me. Those houses are affordable.

Furnishings are extra. Table, 5 dollar. Chair, 3 dollar. Fireplace, 15 dollar. Plant, 10 dollar.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Erenthal posted:

Furnishings are extra. Table, 5 dollar. Chair, 3 dollar. Fireplace, 15 dollar. Plant, 10 dollar.

Amazingly still affordable...comparatively.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha, kidding me. Those houses are affordable. Most don't even cost a Hornet. None of them cost more than a Constellation. Hell, most of those prices are like 10% of an Idris. Small potatoes in the virtual goods that don't and never will exist sphere.

Remember the time when a game would cost 45, and you would get the whole package ? Heck and some had a monthly subscription for all content.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nicholas posted:

The "Shroud of the Avatar" screenshots made me curious about what other people thought about the game, since I grew up with Ultima, and this article from 2013 is loving spot on and every bit as relevant to CR

http://techland.time.com/2013/03/11/before-you-drop-money-on-richard-garriotts-shroud-of-the-avatar/

The author, Matt Peckham, also wrote an article about SC back in 2014

http://time.com/61431/check-out-12-minutes-of-star-citizen-not-being-the-game-youll-play/

Nothing has changed.

great stuff. i really liked this:

Matt Peckham posted:

And so I’ll stand by, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst, and mostly hoping that the game’s going to be more than the sum of its cliched bullet points, e.g. “fully interactive virtual world,” “classless character system,” “player housing,” “crafting system that avoids busy work,” “meaningful PvP that also minimizes griefing” and so forth — all stuff we’ve been living with, and in several cases celebrating, for over a decade.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ben totally still works there

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This isn't a question of "they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way". They "plan to do it" and then nothing even remotely close to what they plan actually happens. This has been true of nearly ever aspect of this project, from major release dates (Squadron 42 in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017?) to the nature of scope, schedule, and funding ("full functionality sooner rather than later" to ""when the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases"). They plan on LTI being limited to early backers until they make it available to everyone with new concept sales. They plan on livestreams starting on time and then they never do. They planned on Star Marine (multiple times), they planned on using Illfonic's work (whoops), they planned on all the various ships (until they're repeatedly refactored), they planned on Star Marine being "weeks, not months away", they planned on countless things that simply don't happen. That's not game development, that's throwing poo poo against a wall and seeing what sticks.

My background is a technical field. I spend a lot of time working on things that nobody has ever done before, iterating on design concepts, and developing technical solutions to extremely difficult problems. I am very much aware of how difficult it is to maintain a schedule when there's uncertainty. I am not a game developer, but I can imagine the combination of pushing a technical envelope and the art of making something that's actually fun (as opposed to merely functional) compounds that difficulty. That said game development is a profession and part of that competency is being able to accurately estimate workload and schedule. If the schedule is not met then there's a problem, either with the projection, the project management, or the scope of the game. It's not okay that CIG repeatedly says they expect one thing and then fail to have it happen, and they certainly shouldn't be rewarded for their efforts. Plenty of actual game developers have come into this very thread and lambasted CIG for their terrible practices.

A constantly shifting scope is not a good thing. Look up the documentary on DOOM 2016, or listen to the commentary of developers like Mitch Gitelman (Harebrained Schemes, makers of Shadowrun and now working on BATTLETECH), Jake Solomon (X-COM and X-COM 2), Rob Irving (formerly of CIG now working at Descendent Studios), or our own Martin Anward (Game Director for Stellaris and The Wiz here on SA). All of them talk about having extremely tight, extremely focused visions and how difficult it is to say no to a good idea. Mitch put it perfectly; "Focus equals quality". In DOOM they talk about how "push forward gaming" became one of the defining mantras of the game; everything needed to be about pushing the player forward and maintaining the action. Star Citizen has no mantra, it has no focus, it has no vision. It's a muddled pile of half-formed ideas and hand-waved wishes that's constantly changing whenever new technology shows up or a new game does something better. Chris himself even admitted that they couldn't quantify what the expanding scope actually meant, which is why they stopped providing stretch goals. In fact things are so hosed that they can't even provide the features that were originally promised. Drop-in drop-out co-op is removed from Squadron 42. Private servers will not be part of release, and development of private servers and modding will be "literally the last thing we do" according to Jared. Not every ship will be available when the game is released, nor will there be 100 solar systems. The only thing CIG has committed to is reducing scope, not increasing it. And now they've admitted they don't even have enough money to deliver it.

You're funding a fraud. CIG lacks the professional discipline necessary to even deliver the original scope of the game, let alone this massive clusterfuck of ambition that backers are expecting. You see their constant failures as natural signs of game development, even though they're the only ones who control scope and schedule and have had five years to understand the problems and get a sense of where things are. There is nothing normal about what they're doing, and they absolutely deserve to be mocked for their failings. The problem is that the people who should be criticizing them are you, not us.

:jackbud:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Don't forget to go vote, goon pick is at the bottom:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/368526/guess-when-we-get-3-0-live/p1

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

My friend pointed out that there are two naked hairy-arsed men hiding in each of Ben's sleeves. It seriously looks like a photoshop when you notice it. :stare:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I still can't believe he named his official website Roberts Space Industries.com

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A grand total of 6 spacecraft manufacturers for an entire universe, lol

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Dear Archimedes : I don't know if you still follow this dumpster fire of a subforum(I dont), but I humbly request you to make a Star Citizen Brady Bunch theme parody because it just popped into my head.

Thank you and god bless

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Wing Commander is my religion

What is this Star Fox you speak of?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Krycek posted:

Good. The nazis need more carpets anyways.

With all the jew's hair they took and refactored you could think they'd had enough for their 6 years reign.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1eLecTsTSw&t=76s

Christ, that thing never stops being hideous. Seeing it from another angle is :stonk:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Erenthal posted:

Well duh, you would know that if you knew anything about game development...

Houses are separate.

I'm the cornrows of tessellated water effect on $1600 digital beachfront property

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

i'm excited that this thread is still here and full of the things that i love

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Writing that was pretty drat satisfying.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Atv is a quality show

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

gently caress Sandi looks 20 years older in those pics

And Chris just looks high as a kite

Makeup person gonna get fired tomorrow?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

gently caress Sandi looks 20 years older in those pics

And Chris just looks high as a kite

Makeup person gonna get fired tomorrow?

Sandi almost looks like she has a basic income.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

That looks more alien than any alien in Star Citizen.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Edit: today is reply to MoMA day.

ManofManyAliases posted:

People care way too much about a loving video game, tbh.

You're right, but they would have to make a game first.

Toast, the fact that you get paid to shitpost here is a clear sign that CIG has no proper management.

This project is dead in the water.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Do you guys feel safe and comfortable that Derek is protecting you from KF? Oh poo poo - I'm a goon too, right?
I took the lolcow quiz and only got a 38. I'm fine. My life is insanely boring!

ManofManyAliases posted:

If anything, Derek is persistent. I think you're right.
Unlike this dead gay "game". Five years in, no vertical slice. Project is hosed, friend.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 19, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Erenthal posted:

I had no idea SoA had basements--I am totally getting my parents to buy this for me.

e: anyone know if you can chain people up in the SoA basements?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Expected Result: Successful Refund

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't follow the development of videogames as a rule, so serious question: is it normal for a videogame company to hire makeup artists for their development vlogs?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Raskolnikov posted:

You're right, but they would have to make a game first.

Toast, the fact that you get paid to shitpost here is a clear sign that CIG has no proper management.

This project is dead in the water.

If CIG hadn't paid for the indoctrination sessions for their cheerleaders they could have paid for SQ42. Alas.

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs

Thoatse posted:

Got any screenshots from your goodbye thread or an archive link? 'something went wrong' by time time I clicked it...

It should still be there as far as I'm aware. It was in the "Disappointed" thread in the Concierge forum.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SelenicMartian posted:

Does anybody work there really?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I don't follow the development of videogames as a rule, so serious question: is it normal for a videogame company to hire makeup artists for their development vlogs?

Yes this is all totally normal

Don't you remember John Romero on camera every week telling people who great Doom would be ? I bet his luxurious hair required constant attention from hair stylists

No he was too busy actually working on Doom? Well I'm not sure you understand video game development !

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

gently caress you, Chris Roberts! You piece of poo poo motherfucker, I hope you choke on a caviar hors-d'oeuvre in the middle of the Atlantic.

e: f;b
This is almost as hosed up as the Humility posts. :smith:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1eLecTsTSw&t=76s

Christ, that thing never stops being hideous. Seeing it from another angle is :stonk:
lmao. I never saw the original, what a GIF goldmine!

Video description:

quote:

Go behind the scenes of the facial animation technology that will make Cloud Imperium Games' Squadron 42 a true interactive movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Spatial posted:

My friend pointed out that there are two naked hairy-arsed men hiding in each of Ben's sleeves. It seriously looks like a photoshop when you notice it. :stare:

Thoatse posted:

I'm the cornrows of tessellated plaid on 1,600 pound physical monstrosity