Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Mostly just wanna say one thing: I started reading this LP after having only played a little bit of a NG+ of Xillia 2 like three years ago. Before then, during my main X2 playthrough, I'd done everything except the postgame stuff; just too much for me after going through the rest of the game. I planned to do the extra stuff on a second playthrough.

Well, I burned out around the very beginning, like right after getting the debt applied, and moved on. Reading this LP for a while, though, made me want to pull the game back out. So I started a fresh NG+ run, learned again how to play the game, used characters I hadn't really bothered with, and did the postgame content.

Considering I basically did an entirely new playthrough, with all the content that entails, and the postgame content, AND actually Platinum'd the game, I'd say you've done a good job of making an LP. Thanks.

Now to work on getting a way to play Vesperia PS3's translation patch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXVII: The Man Who Meets

Welcome to the third and final part of Overtime.

The first big event? The ending to the Illusionary Darkness. Once you've defeated all 18 bosses, after defeating the next PC Shadow, you'll warp to the final area.

Heroic Shadow

Hm...

Well...a swordman who can call upon time distortions for attacks, and another who focuses a lot on fire sword attacks and aerial combos... I do believe we're talking about none other than Cless Alvein (sorry Namco, I absolutely refuse to call him Cress, and no earthly force can make me) and Stahn Aileron, protagonists of Tales of Phantasia and Destiny, respectively.

Fighting style-wise, I've heard Cless and Stahn compared to Ryu and Ken, and it's an apt comparison. Cless focuses on very basic, but effective techniques, and is a pretty grounded fighter. Meanwhile Stahn will be jumping around a lot and firing Fireballs or Demon Fangs from his sword, and he has plenty of moves that will throw him and a target into the air. Take advantage of Cless' attacks to punish him when he uses an arte like Sword Rain or Sword Rain: Alpha, something that'll leave him in place for a bit. Hopefully your buddies are keeping Stahn busy elsewhere. One critical thing is that Cless is weak to Light (strong against Darkness), whereas Stahn is weak to Water (strong against Fire). You can easily stunlock Stahn with Freezing Eruption, and you can pile on additional attacks while he's Stone'd. Now, if you're going to bring in the two oldest Tales protagonists, you're gonna need to do a little something if you want them to have Mystic Artes.

Why not bring back the oldest Tales Mystic Arte, a duo-Final Fury? Final Fury is in a ton of Tales games, and it started back in Tales of Destiny 1 (Cless first got to use it in the PSX port of Phantasia, via a button combination) as Stahn's Mystic Arte. Jude uses it in this game and Xillia 1 as his solo Mystic Arte. Now, Cless or Stahn obviously have to go into Over Limit to use it, just like everybody else, but they do NOT have to be linked with each other to throw it out. They will sometimes link with each other, but this is not necessary for it to get thrown out. It's pretty powerful, as you might expect, but at least it looks very nice.

But we can play the dual Mystic Arte game, too. Earlier in the fight, you might have seen a Ludger / Gaius Mystic Arte being thrown out. I will certainly get to explaining how I got that little number before this update is done.

One interesting trick Cless can throw out, and I only noticed this after watching the final video, is that, being a master of space-time thanks to his Eternal Sword, he can warp clear across the field to a new target, with an arte called Chaos Lunge. He also has an arte called Chaos Distortion Blade, where he'll do the same thing + Distortion Blade, where he creates a powerful sphere of energy with an upward slash, then comes back down. Area of effect arte, just like it was in Phantasia.

Once either Cless or Stahn goes down, the battle becomes considerably easier. The surviving protagonist can't use any Mystic Arte, and you've always got his elemental vulnerability to exploit at your leisure. Fight's basically over as soon as one goes down. I just threw out level 4 Chromatus usage (249 hit combo!) to get that sweet sweet bonus experience. We're gonna need it.

And yeah, you get a poo poo TON of gald for finishing this fight, and having either a Blue Sephira or Ludger / Leia's gald increasing skills activating or a meal like the Creamy Beef Bowl being used prior to battle. In any case, this fight in particular makes paying back all of your debt, if you haven't done it yet, painfully easy. The EXP's nice, too, I guess.

We've searched high and low, and there's no sign of the reason for this phenomena.

Perhaps not, but we do have a better understanding of at least a few things.

Like how this space is entirely shut off from the rest of the world.

Ergo, the shadows that reside within cannot pass to the outside world.

Well, if we're the only ones who can get in or out, then I suppose there's no problem just leaving this place alone for the time being?

Since nothing here can do any harm to the outside world? Very well, Ludger, let's report back to Vera.

*nod*

To the Land of Canaan!

Elle is waiting for us!

Indeed she is...

Some time later...

I see. Understood. Then I pray for your success in Origin's Trial, Ludger Kresnik.

These humans possess an extraordinary strength of will.

That much is certain, even without taking over these bodies. Bisley's faculties are quite remarkable as well. If he can get past Origin's Trila, then who knows what will become of humans and spirits.

We must believe in Ludger. That is why we tested him to begin with, is it not?

I suppose you are correct. In any case, we have achieved what we set out to. We should relinquish control of these girls' bodies.

This young girl believes so strongly in you. Ludger. It was a pleasure being one with her spirit for a time...

You'll meet the child again one day. Assuming Ludger and his friends successfully complete Origin's Trial.

Indeed. Good luck, Ludger. Oh, and Maxwell... We entrust Origin and Chronos to you.

So that's the truth... Shadow was watching us all along, along with, I believe, Verius, the Spirit of Heart who showed up in Symphonia. There you go. Upon completing the Darkness...

You also get Milla's Stahn Outfit, Stahn's Haircut, and the Verius Tail / Shadow accessories. Jude's Cless outfit / Milla's Stahn outfit were actually pre-order bonuses for Xillia 1, so if you didn't pre-order that game, you never got the chance to get them again. Until today. That was real nice of Namco, actually.

So a few more notes. This is the Ancient Bell shop in the Darkness. It's kinda sparse right now, but the first time you come here, you could buy a bunch of character model-altering skins from here. Like...

As well as Elle, Ivar, Wingul, Jiao, Presa, Vera, Cless, Mint, Stahn, Rutee, and Bruiser from Tales of Destiny. These will entirely change the character's appearance, altered only accessories. So if you want Elle to be a hardcore badass assassin, you can change Gaius' appearance to the Elle skin and the Sunglasses, and she'd still hold the sword in the same way and keeps the same voice. It's really up to you. It also leads to ridiculous images like these...

Now, after finishing the Darkness, you've taken an important step forward to getting the second joke ending. But there's an additional step that needs to be done.

There's also a "Money Lover" who wants a single Unicorn Horn, in Fennmont. Accept and complete that job, too.

Thank you so much! It must've been very difficult for you to find.

Your smile makes any effort worthwhile, Milady.

Aw, how sweet of you!

Is the lens a present for a friend of yours?

It is. I have a friend who's a really passionate lens hunter. Thanks to you all, she'll be very happy!

I know who she's referring to, but that could also refer to any of the female protagonists of Tales of Eternia. Lens hunting was the big, ugly collectathon in that game. Eternia is a good, but very odd game.

How nice of you to go to such trouble for your friends!

Yaaaaaaay! Friendship!

Of course! When you're in a bind, that's what friends are for, right? Well then, until we meet again!

Indeed... *Mint leaves*

I still can't believe how calm and kind she is!

I could really get used to her!

She may be innocent and ladylike, but I can tell there's a real fire deep inside her. Some real strength behind those sweet smiles... She's a remarkable young damsel, that one. I don't think most women her age have half the courage she has.

You're probably right.

No matter what anyone says, a person's gotta have a strong backbone, some tough skin, and a whole lotta guts if they wanna survive in this world!

Aw, Teepo... You're all soft and squishy though! Do you have ANY of those things?

I'll tell you, at my age, I wish I had some of that "squishiness" in my joints.

Hm... Well, I guess you gotta have some squishy too then!

Hahaha!

So, as regular Tales players might now, Mint Adnade was the main heroine of Tales of Phantasia and the third party member (Cless' friend Chester was the second), who joins early in the game and stays until the end of the game. Her story is that early on in the adventure, Cless was arrested and tossed into prison by an unwitting dupe of Dhaos, Lord Mars. His escape was made possible by taking a sword out of Meryl Adnade, Mint's mother, which unfortunately caused her death (she had, obviously, been badly wounded by the whole big piece of metal jutting into her chest). Mint was in the same prison as her mother, but didn't directly witness any of this. For a very long time, Cless lies to Mint about what happened to her mother, and she only eventually discovers the truth well into the adventure.

Mint's whole existence is based on her dedication to preserving the World Tree, which was dead in Cless' own time but alive when Cless and Mint were sent back several hundred years to save the World Tree and defeat Dhaos in an alternate timeline created by the party's actions. She goes to considerable lengths to accomplish this end, and the last thing the party does in the Past section of Tales of Phantasia, before returning to the Present. She's basically the conscience of Phantasia's party.

And now only one more step...

Mm...but hold up a minute! If you were able to get that Unicorn Horn, then that means just one thing... YOU'RE A VIRGIN!

Um, what?

Huh?

Okay, on second thought, nevermind! If we keep going down this road, I may hear things I don't wanna know... Later!

Now hold on a sec! We haven't named our price yet! You specifically said you're willing to pay a "handsome sum" to whoever brought you that horn, right?

I sure did! And you know what that means! It means you'll get the best-looking gald I have! Too bad we have such ugly currency though, am I right?

What?!

I hardly think this is a time for semantics, you little cheat.

Hey, you're supposed to be the adult here, right? You should've been smart enough to read between the lines, Mister. Look, people, did I ever specify an actual amount? Nope. Did you inquire beforehand? Nope. My fault? Nope!

Urrgh...

This is all sort of a technicality, don't you think?

Hey, everyone makes mistakes Ya learn from them, ya move on. That's life! You should be thanking me, right? Now, you'll be more cautious in the future! You're lucky I'm not charging YOU for this lesson!

Oh, well, I guess when you put it that way...

Whoa, whoa! So we're actually letting this happen?!

Apparently so! Glad we could sort this all out! I guess that about "sums" everything up, eh? "Handsomely". (Ugh! When'd I start doing puns?! That's not me! I need some new friends.)

Well, I mean, the job is worth 8000 gald, so that's something I guess. Not that I need more money, of course.

Rutee's story is, admittedly, not one I'm overly familiar with. She was the main heroine of Tales of Destiny, and in-between Destiny and Destiny 2, married and had a kid with Stahn, who ended up becoming the protagonist of Destiny 2. Stahn and her are still around in Destiny 2, thankfully.

Now, once you've completed the Illusionary Darkness, and those two quests, the cameo battle, and the second joke ending, are open to you. So far, we've met Cless, Stahn, Mint, and Rutee, and if you've guessed these are your enemies in the cameo battle, you'd be right. The way you get to that throne is simple: defeat the Elite Party Battle. Once the final enemies in the Elite Party Battle have fallen, the music will change one final time, then the cameo characters will start appearing. We'll...get to that.

We will certainly get to that. For now, though, this little sidequest that I've mentioned once or twice, the Hassles at the Tatalian Abyss. Throughout the game, and upon completion of the final one, I think there's seven, this request will show up. Simple enough, just bring your party to the Xialen Woods Temple. Be prepared for a fight, however. It's also good to have Leia somewhere in the party, because the boss has a nice stealable item.

I...may have forgotten to take someone's special skin off... But hey, they never DID recover Jiao's body after the Elympios bombing of the Fezebel Marsh at the end of the first act of Xillia 1. I cannot say one way or another what happened to the ogre.

Who are these two?

These are the shrine maidens, Tess and Patel.

These two were also involved in the major collection quest in the first game, where you had to collect a large number of mysterious orbs to...face a bonus boss at this very location. How 'bout that?

Maxwell! I knew you'd come to us.

Welcome to the Shrine of Eternity.

And where would be the threat we must dispose of?

Didn't you say you were being attacked by the Great Spirit of Eternity?

And you must be the scion of Kresnik.

Why do you expect you'll stand a chance against Chronos, the ruler of space and time?

Huh?

Do you understand?

If the soul purification process is interrupted, all will plunge into the Underworld!

A dark, twisted world, from which they will never escape.

No...

How do you know all this?

Well, maybe we should explain...

We are the...Great Spirit of Eternity!

Impossible! Maxwell sealed you away long ago!

Possible. And plausible. You see, we could have broken that seal any time we wished. No power can hold us!

We went along with the charade for a little bit, while it amused us, but no more! You rabble don't look like you're good for very much, I have to admit.

They'll make excellent practice for our upcoming battle with Chronos.

I agree. I guess great minds think alike.

Watch out! They're no ordinary foe...

Correct! The Great Spirit of Eternity...and the Lord of the Underworld.

I am...Pluto.

Spirit of the Underworld

So, you remember that weird Otulp boss, from Gaius' fractured dimension story where we defeated the Four Chimeriad? Welcome to the real deal. Now, in Xillia 1, that orb sidquest also ended in a fight here, but only against those red and blue centaur thingies. It was a difficult fight in its own right, but this fight...is not difficult. Allow me to explain.

It's all about levels / equipment. I am so ridiculously more powerful than any of these losers this fight really poses no threat at all. But were this a real fight, I would mention Pluto can replace any of his fallen pals, but only once. So you can pretyt quickly get him down helpless status pretty soon if you focus your fire, but that's not what I tend to do. What this means is it's pretty smart to focus on Pluto first, and have your buddies keep the riffraff busy.

Pluto gets knocked down a lot for such a big dude, so it's pretty easy to give Leia plenty of chances to steal from him. He can cough up a Laurel Crown, which nixes all negative status effects, physical and magical. Ultimately, you can get overwhelmed pretty quickly if either the friendly or enemy AI decides not to cooperate, but at higher levels, there's virtually no challenge to this fight.

He has two major attacks: a large swing with his staff, which admittedly can be pretty dangerous if you're at mid-range from him, and a flamethrower that sprays in an arc. Also pretty dangerous, but he's actually fairly helpless as close range. Both attacks will miss if you're pretty close to him.

Buck up. Pluto is a very rare sight in the Tales series. The bonus boss I mentioned in Phantasia's Depths of Moria was Pluto. He was off on a side-path, even though the final real boss was a griffon-thing guarding some ancient dwarven ruins (who were not mentioned anywhere else in the game, naturally). Actually, I forgot about the second hidden boss in the Depths, a summon spirit called Gremlin Lair. Now that guy's a rare sight.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! Take 'er easy there. Okay, that got WAY too real right now...

I know, right?! I thought we were gonna die. I told you we should take those brats more seriously.

Wh-What?

Oh, whatever. Look, I don't know if it was really THAT serious... I mean, the Lord of the friggin' UNDERWORLD can't die!

Whoa, what happened? Is this the same person from before?

Duh! Your'e a little slow, aren'tcha, toots? Try to keep up.

Will someone explain what's goin' on here?

What is it you're after, Pluto?

Hey-hey! Long time no see, Maxwell! Geez, SOMEONE got reborn into a real hottie with the body! Maybe if you didn't eat so much, WE could look like that!

Shut up, you!

Answer me! Why'd you attack us?

Y'know how that brat Chronos is trying to break into this world, right? Well, I thought I'd-I mean, WE'D- go to Canaan and give him a piece of your mind! My mind!

Pluto vs. Chronos...interesting. That is, if Chronos played fair and didn't use time reversal. I confess I don't know how that fight would turn out.

Are you saying you want to protect this world?

You betcha!

Er, I dunno, on second thought I might just leave all to you guys!

Say what now?!

She's a little capricious, don't you think?

Honey, I dunno WHAT that means, but if you're saying I'm the most laidback Great Spirit, then you're correct!

Yeah...laidback. You'd think we'd have better things to do with our immortality...but we don't.

So why is it you care so much about this world?

Isn't it obvious? Because it's so much fun! Duh!

War between humans and spirits? It's a hoot!

How can you be so selfish?!

Moi? Selfish?! Everyone's selfish, little boy. Everyone involved in this war! That's why it's so entertaining! I've been watching it unfold for thousands of years. Do you know how much popcorn we've gone through?

Look, you guys just keep on keepin' on. Do your thing, and if you stumble, well, maybe i'll come play with you again! But next time, we'll do it in MY world. And we won't stop until I say so.

Ugh, what a goon!

*Blithe Something Awful reference goes here*

She is right though.

Indeed. I can see how an outsider might view this war as a farce.

But WE aren't in the audience.

Agreed. Whether it's a comedy or tragedy, it's the state of the world, and that's that.

Life is so short that we need to learn to enjoy what we have and get by however we can.

*everyone nods*

Yeah.

Our penultimate business involves getting everyone to level 10 affection. You'll get skits for everyone upon getting them to level 9 affection (nothing for 10 or max affection): Jude, Milla, Alvin, Elize, Rowen, Leia, Gaius, Muzet. A number of events will also show up. Let's start in Marksburg.

I made this for you. Hope you like it!

Hm! It looks good on you.

Meaningless choice, but I'm going with L1. I could show R1, but...nope. My typical LP policy is I always live a little something uncovered, just so everyone has something to discover themselves when they play.

You bet they do! That's the idea, isn't it? I wante da design that symbolizes our dream: a world where humans and spirits live together in peace. But I'm sensing from the way you said it, you aren't entirely thrilled with them?

*shakes head*

It's a good thing we only had 35 design meetings then! Why don't you see if they grow on you, and The Four and I will get to work on another style!

R-Right...

Huh? Did I say something funny?

*shakes head*

Well, anyways, I'm glad you like them!

Well, those meetings paid off. Love the Milla outfit. Can never go wrong with blue, white, and a gold trim.

It's a present.

Oh?

Already wearing Muzet's duds, so no screenshot.

Whoa!

Well, oh my! Don't YOU look handsome!

L1 again.

What do you mean "actually"?! What were you expecting?! I have good taste, I'll have you know! Don't you like the color of the shirt? That's not something you can buy in stores, you know... I had to boil Ribbit flesh and juice a whole Treant by hand to create that dye!

Um...

And I'd tell you where the necktie material came from, but let's just say that's a little more..."private". I've been scrubbing my hands non-stop for the past three days to get the smells out, and I did it all for you, you special little guy, you!

*sigh*

See?! That's how you know real class when it hits you... It leaves you speechless! Ludger, you're such a shy little boy, aren't you? You wanna know a little secret though? I kinda think shy boys are cute... Teehee.

Moving on...

Huh?

Please allow me to present this to you, as a symbol of our undying friendship.

I pray they are to your liking?

Straight black? Ludger's not a villain! Or intimidating, for that matter.

Why, that's precisely the idea! I was hoping to garb you in something that might give your silhouette some much-needed chutzpah! Nine out of ten battles are decided before the first blow is struck, lad. Fear is what determines the victor! Strike fear into your enemies' hearts, and you've already won, without even drawing your weapon. Why waste the effort, right? You'll understand that when you get to be my age. In the meantime, let's see what you've got! Give me your best shot!

Right... I don't think fear is quite the emotion you were conveying there. Once more, from the top!

My boy, Ludger, you are such a polite, young man. I don't find so many good listeners in my old age... Your friendship means so very much to me.

And the last one...

I got a vintage Fissmauge brand shirt and necktie for you! Here, try 'em on!

Huh?

You don't have to thank me. It's a present! From me to you! Because, y'know, I owe you one.

I mean, a real man is only as good as the label he wears, right? Just trust me on this one...

R1 for a change.

Well, it did set me back a pretty penny, but don't you worry about that. You don't owe me a thing! But actually, while we're on the subject... I've been meaning to ask you something.

Yeah?

Well, y'see, there's a huge demand for child actors here in Elympios. I've been wanting to get a piece of the action myself, know what I mean? Fire up a studio, book some gigs... What say you let me make Elle into a star? She'll be a hit! You got nothin' to worry about, my friend. She's a natural! Elle's got something that most girls her age dream of! She's got "it"! Don't you see it?

*nod*

Of course you do! So it's settled? Right! I'll write up a contract for us all then! And we'll just deduct the cost of those clothes from your agent fee. How's that sound?

What?

Oh, don't worry! It may take a while to pay it off, but I don't mind. You're okay with the usual 0.01% cut of the profits, right? Excellent!

Well, I mean, if you weren't a silent protagonist, Ludger, this kind of stuff wouldn't have happened. That wraps up the alternate costumes, but what about the other four?

And that's why this place is such a pinkist hotspot!

You know, Ludger, as a pinksit...looking out at that sky... I have something I need to confess. For a long time now, I've...I've...wanted to you...if... Could we rename our linked mystic arte to something a little more pinkist?!

Huh?!

Well, drat, we have to change.

"Blessed Arte the Pink"... I think that's the perfect name!

This kid's got moxie, I tell you!

Ludger, you might what it takes to be a pro pinkist one day!

If you ever want in, just lemme know! I'll write a letter of recommendation to the Pinkist Society.

Th-Thanks?

Aw, Ludger... My new partner in crime! We'll paint the town pink, you and I! Elle's so lucky to have you!

Y-Yeah!

Yep, for Elize, Jude, Gaius, and Leia, you can change the name of their joint Mystic Arte. You'll get a dual Mystic Arte with every character at level 9 affection, and an additional skill tome for level 10 affection. I opted to change the name of each. Note, to use the dual Mystic Arte, you need to turn on the skill "Special Linked Mystic Arte" for each partner character (costs 40 SP), and hold R2 while you're using a Linked Arte. Other than that, the activation is exactly the same.

Once you've seen these scenes, however, you can change the Mystic Arte's name to whatever you desire, just by talking to them again.

When I was younger, Wingul, the others, and I took over this land and united Auj Oule. I was in my prime back then... All I cared about was crushing my enemies.

I see...

In those days, Wingul and I had a special arte we'd use together. It was called "Sound and Fury". I lost count of how many tribe leaders we crushed with it.

Is that...right?

I have a request to ask, Ludger. I'd like to change our linked mystic arte's name to "Sound and Fury", if that's all right with you.

Seems reasonable.

D-Did you just say "don't worry"?! How'd you know our battle-jingle?!

Well, I...

I should've known! Surely, it's legendary by now! Every kid probably learns it in school!

Uh...

I haven't felt this excited in years! Take it away, Ludger! Verse number two!

Because I'm needing to save space to cover more essential stuff, let's just say I also changed the name of Jude and Leia's Linked MAs. We've got quite a formidable arsenal, I'll have you know.

While we're on the subject of wrapping things up, here's Bisley in the coliseum. However, once again recording problems (no audio, embarrassingly enough) mean no video, but we already saw Bisley in action, didn't we? Yeah, it's basically the same thing here.

Other business including the prices at the hidden herb shop in Sapstrath Deepwood. Just for the record, y'know.

Other concerns include the Curious Case of the Tales Weapons. Everyone on my team is using a Tales Weapon, and getting these weapons in the first place is quite the accomplishment. To make the Crusader of Rebirth, you need all these ingredients.

Vorpal Sword: Vorpal Knife - (making this the one Tales weapon you can get permanently locked out of getting. This weapon, as I mentioned, is found in Thor) 3 Aquatic Jellies, 1 Mystic Symbol, and 1 Blue Cape. Sonic Edge - 1 Harpy Edge, 3 Fragrant Silver Scales, 1 Shock Charm, and 2 Blue Jasmines. Black Sunfire - 1 Cursebreaker, 3 Libavius Ores (this is the ore that created the Last Fencer, Reid's best sword in Eternia, and making occasional cameos in other Tales games), 1 Blood Charm, and 2 Omega Elixirs.

THEN you can make the Crusader of Rebirth. All of those second ingredients are from monster drops in the Darkness, and also require a lot of kitties gathering the right materials... It's pretty drat tedious, which I just glossed over it entirely and gave myself the Tales weapons after beating the Elite Tag Battle. The Tales Weapons are the bane of any item completitionist of Tales of Xillia 2. Well, I guess the weapon you can get from the Driselle Time Capsule might be even worse, since you need to beat the game twice, then get up to that point a third time to get all three special weapons from that event.

Point is, it's tedious, and no one wants to do it. But to really stand a chance against the cameo team, you'll need the Tales weapons, at the very least. Nothing else is gonna cut it, or at least cut it with a reasonable chance of success. But you'll thank me for ignoring all this grinding, because man is it uninteresting.

But what do they do?

Ludger: Ardent Vesperia (Increases PSY and Over Limit Gauge fill rate. Chance to stun)

Leia: Bestower of Graces (increases AGI / P.DEF, reduces casting time), Fandom's Beacon (increases VIT / critical hit rate. Reduces TP consumption. This one is a reference to the Tales of Fandom games)

Milla: Destiny Bringer (increases STR / PSY, more Gald after battle. Also is strong against all 6 elements. Amazing weapon), Crusader of Rebirth (increases STR / INT. Reduces casting time. Definitely worse, but the better name)

Alvin: Shining Legendia (reduces TP consumption, higher critical hit rate, and chance to stun), Tempest Unbound (increases VIT / AGI / Over Limit fill rate)

Jude: Phantasia Restored (more chance to get more elemental orbs, reduces TP cost, restores TP at regular intervals), Seraphic Hearts (increases PSY, Over Limit fill rate, Over Limit time increase)

Elize: Brave World (increases max HP, restores HP at intervals, chance to revive user), Abyssal Ruin (increases Over Limit fill rate, reduces casting time / TP consumption. Not too sure what this is a reference to, because Gaius has Sealed Abyss Beta is also a reference to Tales of the Abyss. I also forget where you get the sealed version of this weapon... It's a weird situation)

Rowen: Light of Symphonia (increases Over Limit time, reduces casting time and TP consumption. Definitely Rowen's best-looking weapon, and most useful), Champion of Destiny (2, it should be stated. Increases STR / PSY / Over Limit gauge fill)

Gaius: Eternia's Promise (increases PSY / Over Limit fill rate, reduces TP consumption), Abyssal Radiance (increases Over Limit time / resistance to ailments. Chance to revive user. Less nice-looking than Eternia's Promise, but definitely more useful)

Muzet: Paragon of Xillia (increases Over Limit fill, reduces casting time, increases all (elemental) resistances. It also hits for all four elements with every attack. *Very, very* handy), Gem of the New World (reduces TP consumption. Restores HP with every enemy defeated / regular intervals. Crap compared to Paragon)

And that's about all the random silliness I wanted to cover. Next time, the cameo battle, and its unexpected conclusion!

Jude, Leia, Muzet, Elize, Rowen Linked Mystic Artes

Late Edit: please enjoy McTimmy's second plot analysis, covering something the game only barely gets into.

McTimmy posted:

Now that everything's on the table (at least I'm pretty sure none of this gets brought up in the endings), let's have a rousing round of the the true story of Millia Kresnik and why Chronos is a loving moron.

-Milla Kresnik uses the Hymn of Proof to make contact with Maxwell.
-When Elympios begins making spyrixes, Milla Krenik becomes Maxwell's representative in warning them of the dangers spyrixes represent. Her and Maxwell's declaration goes unheeded and spyrix production continues.
-The Three Primordial Spirits: Maxwell, Chronos, and Origin, discuss their response to spyrix creation. Chronos wants to exterminate them, Maxwell wants... whatever and Origin comes up with the Trial.
-Maxwell, with no faith left in humans, creates the schism and Rieze Maxia. He invites Milla Kresnik and her clan to come with him, but she, and a number of her clanmates refuse. Milla Kresnik hasn't given up on humanity yet.
-The Kresnik Clan begins warring with each other over the Wish that's a reward of the Trial. In addition to the fact that Chromatus L4 is needed and that's best brought out by combat.
-Milla Kresnik eventually succumbs to Catalyzation and forms the First Fractured Dimension. Here, Maxwell didn't leave her and the clan didn't devolve into infighting so they work together to collect the Waymarkers.
-It takes way too long, but Milla Kresnik collects four of the Waymarkers. The only one left is the L4 Chromatus. Which belongs to Millia Kresnik's grandson.
-The grandson's wife takes it from him, so Millia and the wife—Lara Lara Travis, summon Chronos and demand passage to Canaan to end this nonsense.
-Chronos asks for proof—and Lara Lara Travis takes this as murder and fatally wounds Milla Kresnik.
-Milla Kresnik remembers this is a Fractured World and those can't reach Canaan so her whole life has been pointless.
-Lara Lara Travis's fetus becomes the next Dimensional Catalyst Host.

Chronos could have easily ended the Trial and Origin's suffering almost 2,000 years prior but didn't. Chronos full and welly cheats when it comes to punishing humans . He had the choice of Origin's safety or winning and he choose the latter. Choose the latter repeatedly.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 24, 2017

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The reason for the five characters in the bonus video is that Gaius uses his dual Mystic Arte in the Cless / Stahn battle, and I'll use Alvin and Milla's dual Mystic Artes in the true cameo battle.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Pluto thing was a weirdly unfinished-feeling thing in Xillia 1. I'm guessing this fight is a leftover idea they had?

Also my LP got dumped into the archives the second they started doing it again, so now I'll have to post the errata updates (if I ever get around to them) into the casual thread or something.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
God bless you, Sylphid, for doing all these side quests. It must have been pretty tough!

Edit: lol at Jiao's sudden revival.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 20, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"The Ludgernaut" is an incredible move name. Props to whoever localized that.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

wdarkk posted:

The Pluto thing was a weirdly unfinished-feeling thing in Xillia 1. I'm guessing this fight is a leftover idea they had?

Also my LP got dumped into the archives the second they started doing it again, so now I'll have to post the errata updates (if I ever get around to them) into the casual thread or something.

You are welcome to use this thread as a dumping ground, after I finish the True Ending update. Not like this thread is gonna see much use by me after that.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
"Blessed Arte the Pink" :allears:
Thats something all right.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does Teepo count as pink or will pinkistry forever elude him?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXIX: New Heroes

And it's time for the cameo battle update + ending! Like I said, just defeat the Elite Party Battle coliseum run. Once the final enemy has fallen...

It's party time! Since every cameo battle needs to be treated with respect, the new battle theme that plays only here (well, one other place) is Feast With Those Who Transcend Dimensions. Like with the Abyss cameo battle music, Everlasting Fight, it's a medley, of at least two songs I know. I looked through a Destiny soundtrack list on YouTube for the the first half of the song, but I confess I could not find anything that matches it. Just not that familiar with Destiny 1 or 2.

Post-posting update: With many thanks to Trasson for this information, Feast starts off with Common Destiny before transitioning into Unfinished World, both from Destiny, then goes to the Phantasia half of the song.

HOWEVER, I can definitely tell the Phantasia part of the song. It starts off with The Second Act (where a lot of games struggle to have one good overworld theme, Phantasia has three great ones!), and ends with the classic of classic Tales boss themes, Decisive. That particular song played over the first two battles with Dhaos, and the name is just great. Dhaos doesn't need any flowerly boss themes. Just a song playing, saying "This is the critical moment". Anyhow...

The new Tales Quintet is a tough bunch. In every gameplay sense, this is the true final boss of the game. You have to beat the game, beat the bonus dungeon, then make it to this pantheon. If you can beat the cameo fight, nothing can stop you. We've seen Cless and Stahn in action before, and you know what to expect from them.

For Mint and Rutee, the story is a bit different. This is not Cless or Mint's first appearance in a cameo battle, but Cless' last appearance was way back in Eternia, whereas Mint's been a more recent guest, featured in Abyss' cameo battle as part of that game's Tales Quintet. So you can probably guess how a character like Mint plays. She's constantly be running around the field, throwing out the occasional buff and attack (her staple of Pow Hammer is here, but she also summon, with a brief incantation, a much larger Pow Pow Hammer. Pretty easy to dodge, though), but mostly focus on running away from your attacks and healing her party with Nurse, which obviously you don't want.

Rutee, on the other hand, is an odd attacker. She'll hang out mostly in the air with quick, annoying combos, and throwing out Tidal Wave when she's in Over Limit. Tidal Wave is pretty devastating with Cless and Stahn continuing to bear down on you, and both of those dudes really hurt. It really hurts, and your allies aren't too concerned with avoiding as much damage as possible, because their AI doesn't typically work like that unless you are partnered with Rowen. And Rowen, sad is to say, is probably the absolute least most useful party member here. There's too much pressure and rapidly-shifting action for him to be of any use here.

So what's to be done here? There's two ways of proceeding, that would lead to optimal odds of success. One is focusing all your fire on Mint. Get the Hades Mallet -Darkness- so that all of your Hammer attacks on Mint are automatic Power Hits (she's weak to Darkness, Rutee is weak to Fire, strong against Water, and Cless and Stahn are weak to nothing), and just keep up the pressure on her constantly. It'll take a while to bring her down, but just make sure she's not allowed to throw out Nurse until she's down and out.

Now, even that might not be the end of her story. She *can* throw out Angel's Cry, which will revive her. I saw it on a previous attempt, but for whatever reason it didn't happen this time. Now, if she does come back to life after getting KO'd, just keep the pressure up, because the first thing she'll do is try to throw out Nurse.

The other strategy for playing this fight is to change Milla or another fast fighter's AI to constantly go after spellcasters and prevent them from casting. Usually how this works out is the attacker will throw out a couple basic attacks, Mint will jump back, and they'll go back and forth like that. It's actually a really good strategy to keep Mint on ice, because basically all Mint does is cast spells, while throwing the occasional basic attack. Hey, it's more than she did in Abyss. She literally never moved, unless you, the player, made her move.

While Mint is being annoyed under this second strategy, your job is to take out Rutee, but whatever means are necessary. Rutee's pretty fragile, so it doesn't take overly long. However, once one of her teammates are down, Mint will try revival. Mint also had a spell called Time Stop in Phantasia, and rarely you'll see this thrown out. Again, on an earlier attempt I got hit with one, but not this attempt.

And she's especially squishy when she gets hit with a full Power Combo + Ludger and Alvin's Bullet Crucifixion.

Even with being permanently down a member, don't underestimate them. Cless and Stahn bunching up for attacks on a group of your dudes can do a TON of damage, even with top of the line equipment. So Leia proves an invaluable member of the team, with her special skill that allows her to apply a single-target item to the entire team, but at an effectiveness reduction by half. But, this is not nearly the penalty you might think. So Leia can do much of what Elize can do, just with a single item. Syrup Bottle can protect everyone from future negative ailments, Life Bottle revives all downed teammates, Miracle Gel tops everyone off... You get the picture.

Speaking of pictures, I really like the first one there. Just totally madcap sometimes.

In the next image, I'm using an Omega Elixir, which you'll want to have 4-5 of in reserve for this fight. Omega Elixirs, as I've mentioned revives all fallen teammates, clears all negative status effects, and restores everyone's HP and TP. When you're in a bind, few better items. Just make sure Leia is always healthy, and doesn't put herself in harm's way too much.

Once Rutee and Mint are down and not getting back up, the fight basically turns into the same thing you saw in the Illusionary Darkness, just a bit harder because neither foe is weak to an element. Just tacks on a few seconds, because you at least have to charge up to Power Charge 2.

Which is to say, fairly easy. As always, just don't get careless and focus your fire on one legendary swordsman at a time, while keeping the other harassed and unable to support.

Nothing too special here, just wanted to call attention to this moment where me and Stahn were getting into a fight, but neither could land a hit on the other. It looked pretty rad.

What also was pretty rad was Milla and Ludger's Heavenly Crusader. This forced the Eternal Swordsman, Cless Alvein, a man who crossed through the halls of time multiple times to bring an alien from the far-off world of Derris-Kharlan to his knees, to finally yield.

Poor Stahn. He tried, but after his buddy fell, there was no hope left. You can guess how the remainder of this fight turned out.

Congratulations to Milla Maxwell, who delivered the final blow of this LP. I got:

Meadow Crystal (1), Iron Sand (1), Beast Dung (1), Migrant Plume (1), Wild Bird Egg (1), Sharp Pincers (1), Fossilized Shell (1), Mysterious Liquid (1), Big Horn (3), Rotten Bone (1), Silver Ore (1), Savory (1), Everbloom (1), Mushroom Powder (1), Buzzard Talon (1), Beetle Leg (1), Bee's Nest (1), Mysterious Bead (1), Chamomile (1), Gold Dice (1), Geode (1), Pointy Talons (1), Jasmine (1), Verbena (1), Sapphire Shell (3), Black Egg (4), Hair of the Sacred Beast (3), Dragon Ash (1), Blue Chamomile (1), Ancient Coral (2), Blue Verbena (1), Kitty Krisps (1), Heavy Treat (1), Navi Metal (1), Blue Savory (1), Omega Elixir (1, Mint dropped this), Hunter's Monocle (1, Rutee's item), Red Cape (1, Stahn dropped this).

Unfortunately, I only went 3 / 4. Maybe because the drop rate for those four is pretty low, and Ludger and Alvin were wearing Hunter's Monocles for this fight, just so I could get those items. Oh well, doesn't matter now. On to the finale!

They totally trounced us!

I felt something different from you... A stronger resolve than usual!

You have a special reason for being here, huh? You mind telling us what's going on?

Hm...

A very, very long explanation no doubt ensued...

So the Great Spirit Chronos... And the Origin's Trial, huh?

I had no idea that was happening in this world...

Remember, all Tales games take place in the same overarching universe, united by the World Tree, which is how heroes can be called upon and come into a new world. Bonus points if they're like Jade in Zestiria and wanting to get back to their own world. They even got Kirk Thornton back to voice him! Strangely enough, though, Symphonia's not real popular for cameo battle spots. Jude showed up in...Graces, I think?

Oh yes, and I promised a few updates ago there was a very unusual connection between this game and Symphonia. It turns out there was a Rutee model made in Symphonia but she never saw the light of day in the final game.

Also, apparently Lloyd, who late in the game was able to wield the same weapon Cless is using (but only in cutscenes and as a part of his Mystic Arte, of course), was evidently meant to have a lot more of Cless' Eternal Sword moves in the final version of the game, but ultimately went unused. The things you'll learn about this series.

I believe in forgiveness and all, but some bozo using a helpless little girl? I won't stand for that!

Again with the "hero" routine! You saying we should save her?

You bet I am!

Well, I guess we can't just ignore what's going on in this world... Ludger, why don't you leave this whole Origin's Trial problem to us, huh?

Well, geez. If they wanna help... We've already seen their ability. Don't think we've got much to worry about with this problem in their hands. Let's see what they can do. Also, nothing at all interesting happens if you choose R1. They just go "Well, we offered. See ya around!" and you get dumped back into the coliseum lobby with all your winnings. Nuts to that...

Ludger, everyone, just wait here!

Well, if we must, we must. I guess we'll help you guys out!

To the Land of Canaan!

Do not interfere with us!

Time Stop!

Final Embrace!

Phoenix!

Final Justice!

Graaaah!

Waagh!

All of them used their most powerful moves, but Cless' move, Final Justice, is special. See, as I mentioned, Cless was one of the cameo opponents in Eternia (the other was Arche, the pink-haired witch in Phantasia). Reid, the main hero of the game, had a special move called Dragon Demon Chaos, which did an enormous amount of damage upon hitting an enemy.

HOWEVER, if you used it against Cless, he would immediately counter with Alvein Finality, then instantly combo that into Final Justice. You can see this in action in this video. Again, Eternia, weird game, but actually pretty cool. That's a game with a TON of bonus content.

We saved Elle for you!

There wasn't really much to write home about...

It was a piece o' cake! "Canaan"? More like "Can-'n-Saw-'n-Conquered"!

Hey! I was gonna say that!

Is this really what you want, Ludger?

Uh...

Well....why not? Things seem to have worked themselves out... Somehow. Hey, she's not turning into a catalyst anymore, both Elle and Ludger are fine, Bisley and Chronos have been utterly humiliated and their plans in ruins. Not too shabby.

Cameo ending credits

Also, there's a post-battle skit, for defeating the cameo battle. R1 is the MUCH better choice here. You'll see why.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 24, 2017

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I... never knew the cameo characters would just finish the game for you if you asked. That is fantastic. I love it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

I... never knew the cameo characters would just finish the game for you if you asked. That is fantastic. I love it.

Tales of Xillia 2 has a decent number of things to criticize, but when it does well it completely nails it.

Also: Feast With Those Who Transcend Dimensions does Common Destiny (I think the final boss theme) and Unfinished World (The first world map theme) from Tales of Destiny before jumping into The Second Act and Decisive.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Trasson posted:

Tales of Xillia 2 has a decent number of things to criticize, but when it does well it completely nails it.

Also: Feast With Those Who Transcend Dimensions does Common Destiny (I think the final boss theme) and Unfinished World (The first world map theme) from Tales of Destiny before jumping into The Second Act and Decisive.

Many thanks. The post has been updated.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, when you've committed yourself to a ridiculous cameo, why not go all the way with it?

Which reminds me, have they ever done a Tales of Tales arena fighter thing? It seems like they've got the stable for it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Glazius posted:

Well, when you've committed yourself to a ridiculous cameo, why not go all the way with it?

Which reminds me, have they ever done a Tales of Tales arena fighter thing? It seems like they've got the stable for it.

I think there was one for the Vita or something?

EDIT: Tales of VS. for the PSP.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XL: The Man Who Lives

And now for the first real ending. I've mentioned before the ending you get entirely depends on the choices you make to Origin here at the end of the game. We'll be getting the Normal Ending this time. We'll start off with R1.

You do not wish for Elle's safety?

*gasp*

On this timeline, Ludger's pretty cold. And it's not about what we *want* to do. It's what's needs to be done...

Please, Origin. Make the fractured dimensions disappear.

Are you okay with this?

Yes. Anything to keep Ludger from vanishing forever. That's the last thing I want to happen.

Very well. Then I will grant your wish.

Hey, don't look so sad. You'll see me again. The real me.

Humans truly are foolish.

True. But nevertheless, they still passed the Trial.

This time, anyway.

We shall seal away the miasma. Together. But know this: Your Trial has not yet ended.

Ryow

Goodbye, Ludger...

So that's it, then... Elle's really gone... The tone of the Normal Ending is a bit more depressing than I remembered...

Normal Ending Credits

The Circle Closed

Good morning to you, President Kresnik. You have a meeting scheduled today with the new Chairwoman of the Rugen Consortium, sir. And the Chairwoman's name is Lara.

Ms. Lara Mel Marta.

It's a pleasure to finally meet you.

Oh no, is something wrong?

*shakes head*

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I feel real dumb because I have no idea who that is.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Sindai posted:

Now I feel real dumb because I have no idea who that is.

Lara Mel Marta is the name of Elle's mom from Victor's dimension. In his dimension, Victor and Lara got married, had Elle, Lara dies because of plot stuff, Victor and Elle live together for a long time, events of prologue anime movie take place.

And given how Victor's dimension played out...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XLI: The Woman Who Believes

This time, we shall walk down a different road.

Ludger?!

You would choose this girl over the entire world? And what about the fractured dimensions?

But what lies down this road? We can't ignore the fractured dimensions and leave the world to wither and die...

But maybe we don't need Origin here. There's something Ludger can do...

What?

Wait, you can't be serious?

You mean to save Elle by turning into a catalyst first?!

No! Stop! You can't do this!

Very well then. Will that be your final decision, Ludger Kresnik?

This will start a number of bonus scenes, if you've seen everyone's character chapters.

Wait, Ludger! You can't do this!

Ludger, you're not afraid of vanishing away?

The final decision. Not for self, but for Elle. If It's For Her.

I understand. Then I will accept your wish.

Lud--

Are you okay with this?

You're doing what most wouldn't dare. For that, I commend you.

Please understand, Elle!

You're the one that Ludger chose!

Not one of the possible Elles. Not even himself. He chose you, here and now!

*nod*

Thank you.

This isn't the news I wanted... It's so sad.

His choice saved the world and the girl's life. Let's see that decision through to the end, Leia. It's the least that we can do.

Yeah.

This is humanity's true nature, isn't it?

Yes. they truly are capable of anything their hearts desire.

Even profoundly foolish things.

You may be right. But the impurity that exists within their souls is precisely what gives them strength.

Come again?

What do you think the impurity is?

I dunno... Greed maybe? Desire?

Our ego?

Yes and no. Is desire different from dreams? Isn't ego the same as free will, when viewed in a positive light? In other words, neither is good or evil.

Yes. Precisely. And that is the reason why I haven't been eliminating it. I remove the miasma created during reincarnation and seal it.

But if you do that, the production of miasma will never end.

That's why I wanted to test humanity's decision. To see if humans could strive for perfection while bearing the impurity.

Humanity's decision.

Pricisely. That is what I truly wanted to know. But, you must continue to show me.

*nod* Of course. We, too, will prove who we are. Just as Ludger, Elle, and Julius did.

That is a test harsher than anything I could throw at you. If you can overcome it, I have no choice but to concede. For the time being, we shall seal away the miasma. Together.

Chronos...

But if humanity should once again--

Don't worry. No matter how many millennia it takes, we will succeed.

Some very special humans have turned me into a believer.

Hmph. Then I expect to be impressed.

I appreciate it, Chronos.

No need for thanks. I'll give you a piece of my mind later. We have plenty of time for that.

It's time I grant Ludger's wish. The elimination of all fractured dimensions!

Ludger, it's been an honor knowing you.

I will never forget what you have done here today.

You wrapped things up almost too perfectly.

You're just jealous because you know you couldn't have pulled it off.

We'll take good care of her!

We promise.

You have helped me to fulfill my duty once again. Ludger Kresnik. You have my thanks.

*nod*

And I promise, too. I won't lie anymore, and I'll even eat my tomatoes! I'll never forget how you saved me. And just how good your cooking was. Okay? Okay?

It's a promise.

*nod*

Yes. Now the human and spirit realms will live on.

And we will make sure of that.

Farewell, humans and spirits.

Jude.

Goodbye, Ludger Kresnik...

True Ending credits

The songs here are Proof of Choice and lastly, I Believe, I Can Believe -Song 4 U-

Beyond Judgment

The final act...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Please let the record reflect my Let's Play of Tales of Xillia 2 lasted approximately 10 months and 4 days, and officially ended at 12:15 AM CST, on January 24, 2017.

Man, that was a hell of a game to LP. It's hard, really hard, to tackle a game of this enormity. Could it have been done faster? For sure, but it was only a few updates into the thread that I realized "Man, there's a LOT of stuff to cover in this game". But I had fun. Xillia 2 is not a game without flaws, but it's a memorable experience and a good note to end the Xillia saga out on, even if, strictly speaking, it's one of those sequels that tells a story that doesn't necessarily need to be told. I'm glad for the journey, however, and it was fun to come back to a game I liked a lot and present it in the manner I did it.

I did have a game in mind that I was thinking of doing for my next LP, but in recent days this idea has changed. Instead, think I'll take a few weeks' break, then start a new thread that should consume me. But to the manner this game did? Not likely. This was quite the thread-running experience.

A big thanks to alchargia for her early support of this thread in service of ridiculous costumes, and a larger thanks to everyone who answered the call and provided me ridiculous / funny costumes for the entire very long run of this thread. Another thanks to McTimmy and wdarkk for their plot analyses that I found valuable and informative. I hope you did as well. And of course, a larger thanks to everyone who posted and read the thread and followed along with me on a very, very long road.

Oh, and if anyone was curious, I used seventy different character avatars throughout the run of this thread. Man.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
And thank YOU for putting in all this effort to show us what this game has to offer.
Many thanks.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for seeing it through to the end.

I got the normal ending when I played through. It seemed like the logical choice at the time... and knowing Bisley was the root cause of everything going to poo poo in Elle's dimension, the same thing can't possibly happen again. It was sad, but I found hope in it.

I could boot up the game and finish off the bonus dungeon and the other ending, but I don't think I have it in me. Playing Xillia and Xillia 2 back to back is a long road, and I feel like the journey has reached its end, whatever that end ultimately was.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
My favorite part is that Rollo's obtained his final form: the cat who gives absolutely no fucks, not even about, like, grooming.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Thank you for showing off Xillia 2 in its entirety. Well done.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
To answer a question you had a while ago: The Snow Cougar EX is defeatable without Ludger. It only uses Snowfall when it's in Overlimit, and when it uses Snowfall, three Snow Wolves spawn and if you kill all three before you die the attack stops. Gaius in particular is very good at it given Retribution. So, either negate it with your own Mystic Artes or kick their rear end.

Edit: My source is myself because I literally just did it. Power Comboed that motherfucker for 1.4 million damage. Eat poo poo Snow Cougar EX.

Edit 2: I am replaying this game right now and for some reason I thought it would be a fantastic idea to fight all the EX Elite Monsters (on Hard ftr) with the Demon Seal equipped on Gaius. I've still got the Ghastly Stump and Siennabronc left to fight. :shepicide:

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 25, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I admire the game by not giving an easy cop-out answer so you can have your cake and eat it too (stupid phrase, I know). Although then again, this game loves adding over-the-top sadistic memodrama, which can be a bit tiring.

Great job with the LP, thanks for showing it off.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

To answer a question you had a while ago: The Snow Cougar EX is defeatable without Ludger. It only uses Snowfall when it's in Overlimit, and when it uses Snowfall, three Snow Wolves spawn and if you kill all three before you die the attack stops. Gaius in particular is very good at it given Retribution. So, either negate it with your own Mystic Artes or kick their rear end.

Edit: My source is myself because I literally just did it. Power Comboed that motherfucker for 1.4 million damage. Eat poo poo Snow Cougar EX.

Edit 2: I am replaying this game right now and for some reason I thought it would be a fantastic idea to fight all the EX Elite Monsters (on Hard ftr) with the Demon Seal equipped on Gaius. I've still got the Ghastly Stump and Siennabronc left to fight. :shepicide:

Ghastly Stump is fun, if a bit frustrating just because he falls down so much, Siennabronc is just hell. I might append this post to that update, actually.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And that's a wrap

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I admire the game by not giving an easy cop-out answer so you can have your cake and eat it too (stupid phrase, I know). Although then again, this game loves adding over-the-top sadistic memodrama, which can be a bit tiring.

Great job with the LP, thanks for showing it off.

I'd have liked an ending where both Ludger and Elle make it through but it's definitely ballsy to have a painful choice either way. I feel it's better this way. You can't just go back and pick the right choices and bam, both of them live!

And yeah, great LP. I find I don't have the time for RPGs anymore so it's been a fun ride.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Argas posted:

I'd have liked an ending where both Ludger and Elle make it through but it's definitely ballsy to have a painful choice either way. I feel it's better this way. You can't just go back and pick the right choices and bam, both of them live!

And yeah, great LP. I find I don't have the time for RPGs anymore so it's been a fun ride.

Sure you can, just let Mr "I have the Eternal Sword" handle things for you.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Great work Sylphid! While the game did have its flaws I still had a great time playing it when I did and admit that they did some of the emotional bombs very well, the voice actors during the Victor fight and alt-Millia's demise come to mind for example. I agree that it was a story that did not need to be told but I am grateful it was. Plus I had a few good laughs especially with Muzet's side chapter. All told I'm glad you put the time to go as in depth as you did for Xillia 2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If it's for this great LP, I'll read every update and enjoy them all (which I did).

This plot asked the player to look ahead to making a lot of painful decisions, and didn't offer the usual way of mitigating the cost of those decisions. It took me a while to come up with how I feel about the ending the way it went, but I think I'm okay with it. This game was quite a ride, and I want to say thank you for sharing this experience with us, and working hard to show all 100% of it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sylphid posted:

You are welcome to use this thread as a dumping ground, after I finish the True Ending update. Not like this thread is gonna see much use by me after that.

I think I'll do that. Since I'm not in much of a hurry, I'll wait until after allergy season finishes kicking my rear end.

Thank you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So are you going to do those Xillia 1 updates you promised, wdarkk?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Errata Update 1: Missed Skits

Sorry this took awhile, but, well, I didn't consider it particularly urgent. I also had some stuff going on, but it was mostly "the LP is technically done so it's below other things on the priority list now."

Anyway the first of the two errata updates I have covers all the skits I missed. It doesn't cover the three Feinne wrote up on Milla's version of the fortress path split, but does cover the skits he didn't do in the fire caves.

Skit Video: Milla Wakes
So this is the first of four skits on Milla's route in the fire caves.

: Yep. And you're a whole lot heavier than you look.
: We put you in the cave to rest while Leia and I split up to search for an exit.
: Forgive me. I've been a burden to you.
: Hey, come on, don't worry about it.
We're all lucky just to have made it off that battlefield alive.
: Indeed we are. In any case, I am glad you are well.
: Of course I am. Maxwell can't afford to die.

Skit Video: The Outside World

: Nor I. And yet, I can find no other explanation for the army that suddenly appeared from the sky.
: Is it possible that those flying vessels were from somewhere within Rieze Maxia?
: I doubt that.
: Then if we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
: I've heard that from Jude before. Something about an egg.
: Let's see... Uh, one world inside the egg and one world outside it?
: Argh! It's so drat hot in here! All I can think about is the egg frying on one of those rocks!
: Indeed. Let us focus on finding a way out of here.

Skit Video: Cooking with Fire Teagle

: That was a Fire Teagle. It's a monster with a very powerful mana lobe.
: So you're saying it channeled those flames?
: It can simultaneously maintain two artes, offensive and defensive, and uses them to wrap itself in flame.
: Whoa. That thing's better at spirit artes than I am!
: It even uses the flames on its back to cook its prey before it consumes it.
: Huh. For a monster, it's quite the chef.
: Indeed it is! Maintaining the right level of flame to cook a creature whole is a serious culinary challenge.
: Thanks for that lovely image, Rowen. You know it was trying to eat us, right?

Skit Video: An Unexpected Chill

: A river of magma. I've never seen such a thing.
: Really? I see them quite frequently.
For example, when Efreet gets mad at Gnome for oversleeping and those two go at it...
Incidentally there's sound effects for the great spirits fighting in this skit.
: The surrounding area usually ends up being reduced to a pool of lava.
: The Great Spirits of fire and earth fight with each other?!
: Then Undine will tell them to cool it and flood the area with water, causing a huge explosion.
; Surely this happens only rarely.
: No, it happens all the time.
: Only to you, Milla.
: I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it.

Skit Video: The Long Road to Greatness
This skit is triggered by getting all party members to level 90.

: I must say, I had no idea that the human body was capable of so much.
: Yeah! At this rate, I could probably hold my own against my mom in a fistfight!
: Yeah, but if she had her staff...
: Oh, I'd be dead within seconds.
: Surely that's an exaggeration.
: Is your mom really that strong?
: I wouldn't say "strong" so much as invincible?
: She could probably take down ten average fighters in a single second.
: This reminds me of the rumor about a demon who walks the earth in Leronde.
They say about ten years ago, the demon wiped out a group of bandits that was giving even the army trouble.
: Yeah, that was my mom. The bandits gave her some lip one day while she was out shopping.
: Wow. Your mom's amazing!
: No kidding. I guess we still have a long way to go.
: Human potential runs so deep.

Skit Video: Jude the Mercenary
This skit is triggered by getting some number of encounters, but I'm not sure entirely how many. It's probably pretty high.

: You really do have a knack for combat. Maybe you should look into a career as a mercenary?
: I'd teach you everything you need to know!
: Me? A mercenary?
: No way! I couldn't bear to see Jude turn out like Alvin.
: Teepo's right!
: Yeah, that wouldn't suit Jude at all.
: Nor would I trust Alvin's guidance on the matter.
: It's unanimous, then. Motion denied.
: Ouch, that's harsh! When did I become the least influential member of the party?
: Don't worry Alvin. The least influential member isn't you.
: That would be the guy whose opinion is completely ignored, even when the topic is focused around him.
: Ah... Well, um... don't let it get you down, kid.

Skit Video: Taken by Surprise
This skit is for using Snap Pivot 100 times.

: Looking for me?
: Bwah! How'd you get behind me?
: Heh heh. So even a mercenary can get taken by surprise.
: Bah! Didn't your mom teach you it isn't polite to sneak up on people? It's like you vanished without a trace!
: Did I? I just move in opposition to my foe and then circle around them.
Like this!
: I ain't fallin' for that twice, kid!
: Huh? Where'd he go?
: Over here.
: Ah! How did you get there?!
: Heh heh. So even the Lord of Spirits can get taken by surprise.
: That's impressive, but really unnerving.
: Yeah. It's especially creepy when you pull that move on a female opponent.
: Creepy?! Hey! My special ability isn't creepy!

Skit Video: Pride in Power
This is for using Alvin's Charge ability 50 times.

: Well done. Even among the army's elite, I rarely see artes that powerful.
: You better believe it. Hey Elize, you see that?
: Yes. Your artes were okay.
: I'd maybe give them a 6.8.
: 6.8?! Who are you to judge me?
: It's just that mine are so much stronger.
: Teepo's are more like a 9.5.
: That's a load of crap. No way some plush toy outscores me!
How about we settle this head to head?
: Alvin, please try to calm down. You're behaving like a child.
: Fine! I'll arm wrestle you for it!
: You're on!
: But, how exactly are we going to do that?
: You have ten seconds to get into position, or you forfeit the match.
One, two, three...
: Come at me bro!
: Hey! That's playing dirty!
: That settles it, then. Teepo is officially stronger than Alvin.

Skit Video: The Ultimate Accessory
This is for using Teepo Switch 50 times. Since I don't play as Elize much it's never actually happened.

: I'd better put it somewhere safe. Teepo!
: Leave it to me!
: Nom nom nom…
: That should do it.
: Did you see that? Elize stuffed her pendant inside Teepo!
: Maybe Teepo's actually an accessory case? It would explain the bright colors.
: Shh! They're coming back!
: I want to see the pendant one more time. Teepo!
: Roger that!
: Bleeaaaahhhhh...
: It's as pretty as I remembered.
: Right?
: I just don't understand women at all.
: You and me both, kid. You and me both.

Skit Video: Yoked-out Bazongas
Can only be seen on Milla's path if her strength is boosted above 700.

: Absolutely! You look like a powerhouse!
: I give your bod a 9.9!
: I wonder who's stronger now, you or Alvin?
: I'm staying out of this.
: Hurray! Milla wins by forfeit!
: Goad me all you want. Pros don't fight battles they won't win.
: Besides, it's not like there was anyone taking down Milla back when she was physically weaker.
: Alvin's right. Milla's power never came from physical strength.
: Milla's so powerful that she doesn't even need to lift a finger!
: I appreciate the compliments, but I do wish someone would give me a chance to test my strength...
: If that's what you're after, why not Teepo?
He's got the same shape and texture as a punching bag.
: Now that you mention it, he does look like he's just right for punching.
: Hold still, Teepo.
: Uh... Uh...
: Ah!
: Aahhh... Milla's... crazy strong...

Skit Video: Yoked-out Mana Lobes
As above, but for intelligence.

: Is it?
: You can just look at her and tell that?
: Yeah, totally.
: When you build it up, your face gets all defined and smart-looking.
: I have trouble believing that.
: So you think my face is stupid-looking.
: N-No! I didn't mean it like that!
: It is possible. I too felt that my face became more defined after I started channeling spirits.
Perhaps the part of the brain that houses the mana lobe also controls the facial muscles?
: Rowen, you're buying into this nonsense?
: Then maybe the reverse is true! If we were to strengthen our facial definition, maybe our mana lobes would grow stronger?
: That could very well be! Let's give it a try.
: Teepo, you can't just lie to people all the time like that!
: Okay. I'm sorry.
: I've never seen prank victims with such strikingly well-defined faces before.

Skit Video: Uses for a Sword
As above again, but dexterity over 500.

: Even I have noticed. You are like a finely-crafted sword.
: A sword, huh. A tool created for the sole purpose of cutting.
: There is beauty in its simplicity. However, a sharpened blade is surprisingly fragile.
: And a blade that's too sharp may cut the hand that wields it.
: Haha, you two don't have to worry. I am no tool.
I understand that in a wise wielder's hands, a sword can be used for more than cutting foes.
: Indeed. It might be used for maintaining one's mustache.
: Or peeling a potato, perhaps.
: Yes. And if you swing it sideways, you could use it as a blunt weapon.
And if you spin it around the tip, you can use it to punch a hole like a drill.
: You could also use the sheath as a weapon to smash someone's joints.
: Uh, do you think Milla understood what we were getting at?
: I do believe she understood, but... Milla's mindset is a tad on the aggressive side.

Skit Video: The Gel Abstainers
This is for never using a Gel until Xian Du.

: That just shows you how skilled we are at combat.
: I don't like gels. They get stuck in my teeth.
" They have the same texture as I do.
There's a line here "Although they do look tastier." that's in the script file but not the skit.
: I'm sure they pack way too many calories.
: I don't even know what gels are supposed to be. Candy? Medicine? Some sort of berry?
: That's a good point. Gels are everywhere, but I haven't a clue as to where or how they're made.
: For all we know, they could be alive.
: Ewwww! I don't want to hear any more!
: That's so messed up! Don't say things like that!
: That did cross the line.
: I... I'm sorry.
: Now we'll probably never be able to eat 'em!
: Though, personally, I love the drat things.

Skit Video: Bagging a Devil's Beast (Milla version)
I think the title says it.

: This must be one of the monsters the old man was talking about.
Such dangerous creatures. And there are still five more of them running around out there.
They pose too grave a threat to ignore.

Skit Video: Elize's Spiritology
This is supposed to trigger after Elize hits level 17, but I don't think it did.

: Where? I don't remember.
: She's just really talented!
: That's why I asked. I've never seen a kid with anywhere near your master's level of skill.
: Really? I was channeling the Four when I was much younger.
: You're a special case.
: Although it does sound like Elize here can channel spirits based on intuition alone, just like Milla.
: You're really something.
: You betcha! Jude knows what's what!
: Remember that you're still a child though. In combat, you must prioritize self-protection.
: O-Okay.
: Milla's just worried about you.
: She's right. You be careful out there.
: Yes. Perhaps that's what I should have said. Do you understand?
: Yes, ma'am!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

: If that's what you're after, why not Teepo?
He's got the same shape and texture as a punching bag.
: Now that you mention it, he does look like he's just right for punching.
: Hold still, Teepo.
: Uh... Uh...

At long last, Teepo finds his True Purpose in life.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

At long last, Teepo finds his True Purpose in life.

Ugh, been too long. Almost done recording the footage for the last errata update and then I can stop bumping this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Ugh, been too long. Almost done recording the footage for the last errata update and then I can stop bumping this.

Wow, hard to believe that this post was two months ago. That's what being further down on the priority list gets you I guess. I got the last footage for the last errata update done today despite various stuff I've had to deal with.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Wow, hard to believe that this post was two months ago. That's what being further down on the priority list gets you I guess. I got the last footage for the last errata update done today despite various stuff I've had to deal with.

Third times the charm I guess. Nothing pressing on me at the moment so maybe it'll actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Take your time. We're only three months shy of the 2-year anniversary of this thread's start.

• Locked thread