Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm pretty sure jerry Seinfeld is at least somewhat based on himself, and seems to be kind of a dumb rear end in a top hat. Honestly most of them are basically themselves except for maybe Elaine

George is also based on Larry David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The first season of Stranger Things was boring and predictable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yo rear end is grass posted:

The first season of Stranger Things was boring and predictable.

I've watched the first three episodes and I'm having some difficulty getting through it because nothing's really happened to catch my interest yet. I'm not exactly bored watching it, but I never think "I've got to watch the next episode to find out what happens" because there's no hook. I assume there's something at some point, because people went nuts over it, but from what I've seen so far I just don't get it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

I've watched the first three episodes and I'm having some difficulty getting through it because nothing's really happened to catch my interest yet. I'm not exactly bored watching it, but I never think "I've got to watch the next episode to find out what happens" because there's no hook. I assume there's something at some point, because people went nuts over it, but from what I've seen so far I just don't get it.

People (especially goons) only went nuts about it because it has nostalgic references which is what substitutes for plot+humor now apparently. The story itself is just OK. I mean, it's one of the better things Netflix has produced and I did enjoy watching it, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to recommend to people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a well-written, well-acted show that is about the kids, not about the monster and the mystery. It's more like a character drama than a horror show.

I'm talking about Seinfeld, just to be clear.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If you didn't like the first 3 you are not gonna like the rest either. IMO the best thing about it is that it has style and artistic flair, and the nostalgia is a big part of that. It was clearly made by someone with a vision for what they wanted to make.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People (especially goons) only went nuts about it because it has nostalgic references which is what substitutes for plot+humor now apparently.

ready_player_one.txt

or rather, READY_~1.TXT

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

ready_player_one.txt

or rather, READY_~1.TXT

I have no idea what any of this means.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Violence or the threat of violence to people in charge is the only way to effect change in a modern world.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Violence or the threat of violence to people in charge is the only way to effect change in a modern world.

I'd argue wealth is much more effective. People respond much better to being paid off than being murdered.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I have no idea what any of this means.

Ready Player One is an awful novel whose only point is "GUYS, DO YOU REMEMBER THAT VIDEO GAMES ARE A THING"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'd argue wealth is much more effective. People respond much better to being paid off than being murdered.

That is kind of the point i was making. Threatening peoples wealth is a form of violence.

Also unironically the world would be a better place if people like thr Waltons, Trumps, etc were stripped of all their wealth by some government. Its a total violation of rights and huge over reach and isnt fair to them, but it would by every measure improve the lives of most of humanity to do so.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiggum posted:

The Seinfeld characters don't strike me that way at all, they don't seem like they started with realistic people, they just went straight to ridiculously dumb arsehole and there's nothing relatable about them.

IMO, George Costanza is a pretty universal character. The character was so popular that it spawned an HBO series, Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is basically an entire TV show about George.

You don't relate at all to George's laziness, selfishness, or constant insecurity? Wow, either you are a model human being or maybe you haven't given Seinfeld a fair shake.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 21, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Ready Player One is an awful novel whose only point is "GUYS, DO YOU REMEMBER THAT VIDEO GAMES ARE A THING"

Did you actually read it? There is a pretty heavy handed point that no matter how well you do in video games true happiness can only be found with real life relationships.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

violence does not solve nonviolence. in fact, it makes your side look worse, and it ruins whatever dumbass point you could ever want to present. if you want to say "I want to run around and wreck poo poo without consequence", then please just say that.

Jastiger posted:

That is kind of the point i was making. Threatening peoples wealth is a form of violence.

Also unironically the world would be a better place if people like thr Waltons, Trumps, etc were stripped of all their wealth by some government. Its a total violation of rights and huge over reach and isnt fair to them, but it would by every measure improve the lives of most of humanity to do so.

what about the Clintons? Should they be stripped of their money, or are they excluded from your poo poo list because hillary pretended that she cared about people?

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jan 21, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Maybe try becoming one of the rich people who determine how the world works instead of having a tantrum and threatening to steal their money.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

violence does not solve nonviolence. in fact, it makes your side look worse, and it ruins whatever dumbass point you could ever want to present. if you want to say "I want to run around and wreck poo poo without consequence", then please just say that.

what about the Clintons? Should they be stripped of their money, or are they excluded from your poo poo list because hillary pretended that she cared about people?

Economic forces are inherently violent. Some rich guy somewhere can make you lose your livelihood, and if you try to fight back, as in literally fight, cops that work for his politician buddies will kill you. Make no mistake, all human interaction is founded on violence, and the choice of using it or not.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Economic forces are inherently violent. Some rich guy somewhere can make you lose your livelihood, and if you try to fight back, as in literally fight, cops that work for his politician buddies will kill you. Make no mistake, all human interaction is founded on violence, and the choice of using it or not.

really, they can just do that? Please explain how they can do that, Marx.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Which part are you unclear about?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

silence_kit posted:

IMO, George Costanza is a pretty universal character. The character was so popular that it spawned an HBO series, Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is basically an entire TV show about George.

You don't relate at all to George's laziness, selfishness, or constant insecurity? Wow, either you are a model human being or maybe you haven't given Seinfeld a fair shake.

To be fair, I haven't watched Seinfeld since it was actually on TV, so I could be wrong about it. But my brother loved it and I hated it and we have fairly consistently opposed tastes in comedy, so I'm not that likely to give it a second chance.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Violence will solve any problem. If it doesn't work, you're not using enough

e: Philosophy lessons from schlock mercenary

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Which part are you unclear about?

doverhog posted:

Some rich guy somewhere can make you lose your livelihood, and if you try to fight back, as in literally fight, cops that work for his politician buddies will kill you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

Nearly every major change in history has been due to a threat of violence. Union strikes, riots, boycotts, actual war. All violence. It doesnt mean i want to be violent im just recognizing that a silent sit in doesnt do poo poo. Threatening to burn down the building would.

Clintons are little fish compared to those other folk.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe try becoming one of the rich people who determine how the world works instead of having a tantrum and threatening to steal their money.

Didnt win that lottery.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Nearly every major change in history has been due to a threat of violence. Union strikes, riots, boycotts, actual war. All violence. It doesnt mean i want to be violent im just recognizing that a silent sit in doesnt do poo poo. Threatening to burn down the building would.

yeah, threatening to burn down a building does something..it puts the rioters in the morgue!

they might be "little fish", but they're still rich.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

It's easy to talk like this, but most people who do nowadays at least will never act because they know they will lose and don't want to go to prison.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Some rich guy somewhere can make you lose your livelihood, and if you try to fight back, as in literally fight, cops that work for his politician buddies will kill you.

Say you work in a factory, and then it suddenly closes because the manufacturing is being moved to a country with less strict labor laws. You organize with your union to stop this from happening, and the riot police show up. You are determined and fight them. Then they shoot you and you die.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

yeah, threatening to burn down a building does something..it puts the rioters in the morgue!

they might be "little fish", but they're still rich.

It does hurt the rioters sure. But even if it isnt literally burning it down. Holding up production or stopping production does more than angry letters ans rallys.

And the Clintons arent Walton Rich and they werent born in to it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Say you work in a factory, and then it suddenly closes because the manufacturing is being moved to a country with less strict labor laws. You organize with your union to stop this from happening, and the riot police show up. You are determined and fight them. Then they shoot you and you die.

or you vote for trump and get shot by rioters.

Jastiger posted:

It does hurt the rioters sure. But even if it isnt literally burning it down.

sooooooo what are they doing then

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

It's easy to talk like this, but most people who do nowadays at least will never act because they know they will lose and don't want to go to prison.

Which is why change doesnt occur in modern capitalist society. Im not talking big im not even someone who would be willing to be violent. Im just pointing it out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

or you vote for trump and get shot by rioters.

Either way violence is at the core of those interactions. Whenever you talk to another person you have the option of using violence or the threat of it to force them to do something. Choosing not to do so, and also being forced to not to do so by the fear of repercussions and other people using violence on you in turn, is the bedrock of society.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Jastiger is a few steps removed from a tankie

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who dat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I know I have a tendency to talk poo poo to you after I have had a few beers, but I appreciate that someone else recognizes that Ready Player One is absolute poo poo. Worst book I have ever read.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Someone who is british had to make up that term because they are very good at making words about otherwise serious subjects sound like something a toddler would say. Can't you just say Stalinist or authoritarian or something?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

Either way violence is at the core of those interactions. Whenever you talk to another person you have the option of using violence or the threat of it to force them to do something. Choosing not to do so, and also being forced to not to do so by the fear of repercussions and other people using violence on you in turn, is the bedrock of society.

no, not really. just cause violence is an option, does not make it the "core" of interacting with people. most normal people don't think "what if i just walk up and smash my coffee cup in his face" when they see someone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, I haven't watched Seinfeld since it was actually on TV, so I could be wrong about it. But my brother loved it and I hated it and we have fairly consistently opposed tastes in comedy, so I'm not that likely to give it a second chance.

My sister had an episode on the other night and it prompted my initial thought. Everyone in-universe was obsessed with making another person share their food. Jerry broke up with a girl because she didn't try something off his plate, George lost a prospective job because he didn't try something off the plate of a guy he'd met for the first time. I asked her what the hell was up with this weird, invented conflict and she said I'd have to watch the show to get it.

Meanwhile the plot devices of AD work for me because "everyone reacts negatively to a socially-established mean/stupid thing someone did" makes a lot more sense to me empathetically than "everyone reacts negatively to someone not eating from their plate to the point of trashing the relationship." It's the sitcom equivalent of trying to predict the reactions of your off-his-meds bipolar friend, only he is everyone in the world.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The United States was settled using violence.

It became a country through violence.

Nearly every major civil rights movement used violence to achieve its goal.

Now that there's a wannabe tyrant elected who's policies will literally kill people, violence suddenly isn't the answer anymore?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Das Boo posted:

My sister had an episode on the other night and it prompted my initial thought. Everyone in-universe was obsessed with making another person share their food. Jerry broke up with a girl because she didn't try something off his plate, George lost a prospective job because he didn't try something off the plate of a guy he'd met for the first time. I asked her what the hell was up with this weird, invented conflict and she said I'd have to watch the show to get it.

Meanwhile the plot devices of AD work for me because "everyone reacts negatively to a socially-established mean/stupid thing someone did" makes a lot more sense to me empathetically than "everyone reacts negatively to someone not eating from their plate to the point of trashing the relationship." It's the sitcom equivalent of trying to predict the reactions of your off-his-meds bipolar friend, only he is everyone in the world.

Congrats on explains the entire premise of the Seinfeld. It's insane narcissists who make big deals out of tiny insignificant things. That's literally the whole point of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

no, not really. just cause violence is an option, does not make it the "core" of interacting with people. most normal people don't think "what if i just walk up and smash my coffee cup in his face" when they see someone.

I don't mean "core" in the sense that people are thinking about it all the time. In normal circumstances you wouldn't, and most people don't have to. It just takes one who is willing to do it to dominate others, unless something stops them. That is what society and laws are for.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jan 21, 2017