Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
just buy it on the vc or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I currently lack a Nintendo console.

I'll probably eventually end up grabbing a N64 usb controller the next time I upgrade my PC because I want to replay a few games like Blast Corps.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

gently caress the haters play skyward sword. The low points are low but the highs are high and it contains the best dungeon in the series to date(Ancient Cistern). The motion controls are really good and effective if you're not trying to wave your entire arm around, and add a lot of depth and fun to actions that would be otherwise routine.

It's not entirely good, but the parts of it that are good are well worth the parts that aren't.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cicadas! posted:

gently caress the haters play skyward sword. The low points are low but the highs are high and it contains the best dungeon in the series to date(Ancient Cistern). The motion controls are really good and effective if you're not trying to wave your entire arm around, and add a lot of depth and fun to actions that would be otherwise routine.

It's not entirely good, but the parts of it that are good are well worth the parts that aren't.

Once I get a new beefy PC I absolutely plan on playing it via the Dolphin. I'll probably end up buying a motion controller just for it.

Current PC can't handle it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Skyward Sword's gameplay was the best but the world was pretty lame. The Navi also wasn't very good but it has GROOSE BABY WOO FUCJ YEAH GROOSE!!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I am still kinda expecting there to be some obstacle that requires four macguffins to get past to beat the game, "you can go straight to the ending" feels like marketing talk more than an included feature.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there a list of what each individual Legend of Zelda related Amiibo does with BotW?

There's 5 new ones coming out.
I know the Midna + Wolf-link Amiibo grants Wolf Link ingame (lol I sold my console and can't encode health onto it)
There's a pile of old ones as well like Ocarina of Time, 8bit Link, the Smash Bros Link, etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I read somewhere that one Amiibo gives a small amount of food, one gives a small amount of resources, etc
The wolf one seems like the only one that makes a real difference.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Infinitum posted:

I currently lack a Nintendo console.

I'll probably eventually end up grabbing a N64 usb controller the next time I upgrade my PC because I want to replay a few games like Blast Corps.

If you have an Xbox one Blast Corps is in Rare Replay which they sell super cheap.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I am still kinda expecting there to be some obstacle that requires four macguffins to get past to beat the game, "you can go straight to the ending" feels like marketing talk more than an included feature.

No it was pretty literal.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

quote:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

"Maybe it might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Infinitum posted:

Things I must admit before starting Breath of the Wild

I have not played the following Zelda titles :negative:

Console games
Majora's Mask - Not played at all
Windwaker - Got like... 80% of the way through the main story
Skyward Sword - Missed it entirely

Handhelds
Oracle series - Not touched at all. I have them on my 3DS tho.. should play.
Minish Cap - Remember emulating it, but not getting far into it
Spirit Tracks - Like... 90% of the way through it.

Never touched the 4 Swords or TriForce Heroes games.

:negative:

Currently replaying Link Between Worlds on Hero difficulty and it is as fun as it was the first time.

Majora's Mask and Oracle of Seasons and Ages are extremely good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Stay away from SS. It's going to come out on Switch. And it will still suck, but probably less. It has hours and hours of suck that should have been removed during beta.

Play MM. It was not even close to my favorite but I can recognize a great game and it is among the best I have played. It is seriously impressive what they did in that game, especially for how old it is. Just get it for your 3ds, get a walkthrough, and do a 100% and get it done. You'll be glad you did.

Minish Cap is good.
Oracles games are good and you can DL to your 3ds for less than $20 for the pair. Not sure what that is AUS but probably close.

You already played all the good stuff in WW so you are probably okay. The last bit is disappointing compared to the first 1/2.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nintendo treehouse Zelda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2jKceEsj2E

horse mechanics and such

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

Stay away from SS. It's going to come out on Switch.

Source?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wouldn't a horse need a veterinarian though? No mechanical parts and all

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't get the hate for Skyward Sword. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's not the best, but it's still pretty good. It also has a lot of good features in it that need to show up in BotW. The only complaints I have are that the motion controls sometimes don't do exactly what I intended, some things should have just used the joystick instead of motion controls, and a couple of the fights get tedious. Though the last one would be true regardless of what control scheme you use.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Infinitum posted:

But like... I'd need a N64 USB controller to emulate it, and I don't really want to buy it on my 3DS

Why not? The 3DS version is pretty darn good. It's not the absolute definitive version like OoT 3D is, but it's still good, especially if you didn't play the original.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't need an N64 controller. You can map the C buttons to a stick. You can also map them to X, Y, RT, and RB on an xbox controller.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get the hate for Skyward Sword. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's not the best, but it's still pretty good. It also has a lot of good features in it that need to show up in BotW. The only complaints I have are that the motion controls sometimes don't do exactly what I intended, some things should have just used the joystick instead of motion controls, and a couple of the fights get tedious. Though the last one would be true regardless of what control scheme you use.
The tutorials break it for me. Every time I remember cool characters or many good dungeons, I want to replay it, but then I remember Fi. Slow rear end text explaining everything that game is already either explained or explicitly on screen is just unbearable for me. I actually thought there was an option to turn her off first time I played it, because it was too ridiculous. Unfortunately, it was an option to display controls on-screen...
It's not a bad game but boy do I hope they port it and give you an option to turn at least half of the tutorials off, and it might just become my favorite Zelda.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I loved Skyward Sword. It had plenty of flaws, but the art direction, gameplay, and dungeon design were a great nostalgic hit for me. I played it in a few long sittings, so the tutorial popups resetting whenever you loaded only occurred a few times for me, and yes Fi + flying around were really really annoying, but i think the good more than made up for it. If I recall, there was a homebrew patch that removed a lot of the handholding too. Controls are fine as long as you realize winding up = swinging the wrong way, its all wrist flicks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It might be terrible during a replay, but it hasn't bothered me too much. I just hold down A and she's done soon enough.

Edit: Yeah, once I figured out the wrist flicks, the game worked a lot better. You get trapped into thinking "it's 1:1" because when you move your arm slowly, it really is kind of 1:1. All that falls apart when you try to actually swing the sword.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 21, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Game gonna be big

http://gonintendo.com/stories/272416-zelda-botw-complete-official-guide-amazon-listing-gives-info-on

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is something that tells you how to do everything in the game going to avoid spoilers? IDGI.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Why not? The 3DS version is pretty darn good. It's not the absolute definitive version like OoT 3D is, but it's still good, especially if you didn't play the original.

What makes the 3DS version of Majora's Mask non-definitive?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feedbacker posted:

Nostalgia.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Feedbacker posted:

Unlike OoT 3D not all the changes they made for MM are objectively for the better. A lot are though so it's still a great version of the game to play.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

Once the novelty of sword swings wear off fighting becomes a boring slog. Every enemy in the game I can recall off the top of my head is some form of bokoblin or stalfos and their only attack is "slowly walk up to link and hold sword up" and ehh. Just not enough variety.

Repeated visits to the same places I've been and a awful main villain just tank it for me. Only cool stuff in the entire game is the timestone things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

How is something that tells you how to do everything in the game going to avoid spoilers? IDGI.

It will probably avoid saying anything that's going on until you're at it or past it. So it would say "head into the next room" instead of "head into the next room where you get a cut scene that reveals Zelda's love for anime wall scrolls."

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Once the novelty of sword swings wear off fighting becomes a boring slog. Every enemy in the game I can recall off the top of my head is some form of bokoblin or stalfos and their only attack is "slowly walk up to link and hold sword up" and ehh. Just not enough variety.

Repeated visits to the same places I've been and a awful main villain just tank it for me. Only cool stuff in the entire game is the timestone things.

Besides this and the game constantly telling you where to go and what to do, I just didn't like how formulaic things felt for the first few dungeons (after which I quit). I hated earning the right to find the dungeon then finding pieces of a key to enter the dungeon then going through the dungeon itself; it just made the whole experience feel like I was collecting things nonstop.

It seems like it's designed to have a very tight and consistent loop of "find things, open gate, go to next challenge" which is certainly a big part of Zelda, but I kinda felt like I was on that track too often. And since I already know that the pieces of this key I'm collecting are just there to make it harder to get to the "real" challenge (the dungeon), it felt like the Zelda trappings worked against it here. It would be cooler if sometimes you had to get these three key pieces and then the dungeon wasn't a traditional Zelda dungeon at all; maybe it's just a boss or an item sitting in a chest. I think the problem was that the sense of discovery was gone from a formula that existed to feed a sense of discovery.

That's why I'm pretty happy that BotW is going for a bunch of smaller areas to explore; it means there's way less pressure for each one to conform to a pattern or to have a certain length requirement or whatever. It kinda looks more like a Mario 64 setup (lots of MacGuffins with varying amounts of effort required), which has me very intrigued.

Edit: Also I was really, really bad at bomb bowling and gently caress bomb bowling.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 21, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I liked SS a lot. Thanks for listening.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress, now I really want Link to be voiced by Troy Baker. You assholes got my hopes up.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Ice Fist posted:

I liked SS a lot. Thanks for listening.

I would hope all the negativity doesn't dissuade anyone like you from talking about why they like it a lot; I'd be interested to hear that! To be honest, I want to finally finish it before BotW comes out, and I really just need something to motivate me to do that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feedbacker posted:

Not everybody likes the tweaks they made to the bosses and the Zora swimming. :shrug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I thought Skyward Sword was just okay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think a ported Skyward Sword with normal controls and a lot of the hand holding removed would be a great game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Worst MM3D change is zora mode swimming, but if you never played the older versions you won't notice.

Cojawfee posted:

I think a ported Skyward Sword with normal controls and a lot of the hand holding removed would be a great game.
I never got this argument. The game is built around the motion controls and ripping them out will only expose tht fact. PH and ST will also not suddenly become better games with purely button input.

With you on the handholding tho. Why not a simple 'have you ever played a zelda game before?' prompt when you start a new file? It's really baffling there's no option to toggle that stuff.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 21, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

It probably just tells you where to go, then has the solution to the puzzle/boss fight is on the next page. It also probably doesn't say anything story related or have pictures of cutscenes.

Silver Falcon posted:

Not everybody likes the tweaks they made to the bosses and the Zora swimming. :shrug:

And those people are wrong. I was a massive stick in the mud about there being any changes to Majora's Mask, but after playing those changes it don't make the game worse.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Imo the biggest flaw in SS is structural: the developers want you to never, under any circumstances, get lost. This is why every area and dungeon except the forest and the sand sea is designed to essentially be a twisted, winding corridor to your destination, and why you get a detailed map of each area anyways. It's why they added dowsing, and beacons, and Fi to tell you exactly what you need to do at any given time. It's why she pops up even when you don't want her to, in order to repeat whatever the last character said in a "videogame-y" way.

Of course, zelda games are supposed to be built around exploration, but you can't really explore without getting lost a little. So instead, the developers force you to revisit every area with some new gimmick. It's telling how many of these are built around not using your items, the gear you're supposed to have built up over your journey: no items in the silent realms. No items while swimming. No items because...you got hit by a blast of hot air??? It bucks any sense of progression and makes everything feel disjointed and scattered.

I liked SS in the end, though. The art design is some of my favorite in any video game - even beating BOTW fron what we've seen so far- and the dungeons are well-designed. The timeshift stones alone make it worth it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^ For that last one, you lose your items because the Bokoblins take them.

Mr Phillby posted:

Worst MM3D change is zora mode swimming, but if you never played the older versions you won't notice.

I never got this argument. The game is built around the motion controls and ripping them out will only expose tht fact. PH and ST will also not suddenly become better games with purely button input.

With you on the handholding tho. Why not a simple 'have you ever played a zelda game before?' prompt when you start a new file? It's really baffling there's no option to toggle that stuff.

There are a lot of motion controls that could be brought over to the switch. Gyro aiming for the beetle and the bow/slingshot would work in handheld and TV mode. The goddess wall drawing could be done with a gyro controller in TV mode or just draw on the touch screen in handheld mode. Sword slashes could be replaced with a button and a stick direction. The motion controls for sword slashes aren't that great and they don't always do what you want. There are times where I think "Ok, I need to swing up to the left" and it swings some other direction because maybe my hand was tilted or something. Some of the motion control stuff needs to be moved to the stick. Falling or instance. Before you fall, you have to make sure you calibrate the IMUs or you might just fly off somewhere else because they've drifted. It would be much easier to just use a stick to decide where to go.

In all likely hood, the game will just be recreated with the joycons emulating the remote and nunchuck.

Edit: Also, I don't like how taking the shield out overrides other items. When I'm trying to catch a bug and I jostle my left hand or go to scratch my face or something and the shield comes out.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
MM is fantastic, SS is the worst console Zelda ever made. These are the facts, sorry folks.