Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

22: Resolutioning

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it?2,880,000. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months 2015 April, May June July, August, September, October , November, December, 2016 January, February, March, April, May
June, July, September, October, November, December

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for forever, i guess? we'll see

penisburgers ock?

Long Walk 22: Resolutioning

Ironic twisticle: 30k MADE IT OUT OF JIFBRAND P-NUT BUTTER
Baddest seadoof: 31k MADE IT OUT OF SADDLESURES AND DESPERATE CONFUSION ABOUT A COMMONLY USED THEATRICAL TERM
Jitzuu 5k novella :siren:FAIL LOL HOLY poo poo DUDE YOU JUST GOT BANNED OVER 3.5K REPETITIONS OF THE WORD EFFULGENCE:siren:
Sitting rear: 15k MADE IT OUT OF WEED BROWNIES AND HAIR PRODUCT
No gravitas: 30k, min 20k textbook no lecture notes, will self pub fiction MADE IT OUT OF CAREFULLY CATEGORISED PER CHAPTER BREAKDOWNS
Curlingiron 4k MADE IT BUT A BIT LATE PHEW LUCKY I'M REAL LAZY
Pale spectra: 50k 10 subs 3 by 15 Jan :siren:FAILED WITH HONOUR, YOU WRITE GOOD WORDS, SIR:siren:
Devorum 5k MADE IT OUT OF TOILET ROLLS AND LEFTOVER SHARK CHUM
Killfast37 25k MADE IT OUT OF TOOTH SKIN
Skankscreenplas 15k MADE IT WITH A SNAPPY SUIT AND A HORNDOG
Chili 7k non tdome MADE IT FROM CHILI PASTE AND MORE CHILI PASTE ALSO A DOG
Besesoth 17k MADE IT OUT OF A LEFTOVER POT ROAST AND SOME PICKUP STICKS (GREEN ADN RED)
Benny Propane 8k MADE IT UP WHOLE CLOTH
toxicslurpee 10k MADE IT OUT OF GARBAGE AND MOONBEAMS

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X4)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
KURONA BRIGHT...DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
SITTING HERE.... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
GUINNESS13....DIDN'T MAKE IT(X2)
SURREPTITIOUS MUFFIN.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
SKAANDSCREENPLAYS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANIME WAS RIGHT... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MAG7.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
IRONIC TWIST.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
TEQUILAJESUS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANOMIEATTHEGATES.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANGELOPPORTUNITY.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
SPECTRES OF AUTISM....DIDN'T MAKE IT
FLERP....DIDN'T MAKE IT
NEWTESTLEPER....DIDN'T MAKE IT
SITTING HERE....DIDN'T MAKE IT
IRONIC TWIST.....DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
eff it, 30k :toxx:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
31k words; that's a thousand a day.

:toxx:

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Limping in with 5k. Needs strictly to be for my novella which now is at 8157 words.

Edit: Forgot to :toxx:

Armack fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 3, 2017

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
in, backing down to 15k bc I want to spend more time tinkering and less time issuing explosive diarrhea onto the page :toxx: :gooncamp:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, here goes. 30k ought to be doable. :toxx:

Started the year at:
Textbook: 14203
Fiction: 0

Current status:
Textbook: 18430
Fiction: 914

A quick amendment: At least 20k towards the textbook, minimum.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 3, 2017

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

I have a huge project that I apparently don't have enough incentive to work on yet, so I'm pledging 4k words for this month. :toxx: :ok:

I'll almost certainly be back next month, since I have no idea how many words this thing is actually supposed to be, just that it's approximately 1 million US Dollars pages.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
k.

50k, 10 subs, no bs

3 subs by the 15th

:toxx:ic

:dunkedon:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'll start small with 5K words added to my current WIP. :toxx:

Start: 42,618

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
gently caress it, I'm in for 25k words. :toxx:

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I own a computer & can write at more than just work now so let's start out with 15,000 Words :toxx:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Getting my feet wet:

4k OUTSIDE of thunderdome

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

210k so far, :popeye:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Amending my :toxx: to prevent temptation.

Lecture notes don't count for anything.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Oh hey, I missed that there was a new thread.

I'll :toxx: for 17k to ring in 2017.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

would people find it useful if we had weekly check-ins? no obligation, but we've got some decent totals here so breaking it up will be important.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

would people find it useful if we had weekly check-ins? no obligation, but we've got some decent totals here so breaking it up will be important.

Sounds dumb, I'm in

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

sebmojo posted:

Probably smart for me. I tend to get to the end of the month, realize "oh crap this 15k is gonna cost me :10bux:, and hammer some crap out.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sebmojo posted:

I'm in, as long as someone calls out the time to check in. :toxx:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Let's say Saturday night, pst. I'll post a reminder.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

8K.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Gonna do 10K this month. :tauuxxxxx:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Checking in! Only 476 words so far, because I've been slacking. Gotta pick up the pace.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Checking in with around 400 as well. This week is my busy one though, so next week will be solid. So much so that...

I'm upping my :toxx: to 7k

For the shiggles.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
checking in with about 1400 words, though that number will probably go up a lot over the next two days

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Checking in with 1489 words worth of progress.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My turn.

Textbook at 24286.
Fiction at 1295.

Diff from the start of the year:

Textbook: 10083
Fiction: 1295
Total: 11378

Not bad. I hit the textbook's 50% mark and then decided to focus on the technical side of that for a while, hence the tidy number there. I found that pacing myself to hit 1K a day is a great idea. I usually hit about 2K anyway, but having that lower limit really helps to keep me going. For a while I was going at NaNoWriMo pace, which was nice too.

I'm going to up the ante as well, even though it won't boost my word count.

:toxx: I will also launch the fiction as a self-published thing on the web.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

woo go guys/ladies/indeterminate genderblobs you can doo eeet

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Checking in with 2977/25000 words. I'm pretty happy with that considering I've been writing 2 days and aiming for about 1500 a day. If I can keep pace I won't get banned again this month.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, it is mid-month... Might as well.

Textbook: 26360
Fiction: 6180

Monthly progress:
Textbook: 12157
Fiction: 6180
Total: 18337 / 30000

I also got some progress on developing the web infrastructure I will be using to publish my fiction. I am almost ready to launch that from a technical point of view. Some fonts need adjusting, the nav/TOC system needs a new format. One thing that I keep delaying is setting up the site style for cell phones in landscape layout as well as tablets... All this is just minor things. More majorly, the ad network needs choosing.

Oh. And the content. Right. Welp, better get to it... Since I am not launching the textbook till February at the earliest, I will pump my effort towards the fiction for a few days, hoping to launch for next week. It will suck, but it is just a tech demo / prototype for the textbook anyway.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh yes I was going to get people to check in yes. HOW ARE YOU DOING PPL advise plz

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
ugh I posted like a jerk, sry

I was wrangling that one topical story about fascism paranoia nonsense but it took a lot of work and half of it is still in my notebook so eh

lemme kno if this doesn't count its just wrangling words and sending emailz

I got a crit that said my story was too short and I didn't worldbuild enough lol

take the moon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 16, 2017

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Oh yes I was going to get people to check in yes. HOW ARE YOU DOING PPL advise plz

Poorly.

I will make it though.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
8823/17k. Not too shabby.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I'm at an even 7500ish words for the month so effectively halfway there.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
idk what I'm at but it doesn't feel like as much as it should be

too bad A CERTAIN THREAD I WON'T MENTION had to write a bazillion cool stories for me to read and judge

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hey cats! Saturday again! Sound off tell me your word joys and word sorrows!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sebmojo posted:

Hey cats! Saturday again! Sound off tell me your word joys and word sorrows!

You mean Sunterday, right?

Sweet Gods...

Textbook: 30576
Fiction: 9033

Differences:
Textbook: 16373
Fiction: 9033
Total: 25406

So about 4.5K left to the word target. Looks not too bad, yes? Well, about that...

Plus the fiction launch. Remember how I said it won't impact the word count much?

Oh gods... Nothing is ready. Every thing sucks fore ver. Gonna be way over the word count before it is in a publishable state.

I think I can make it, but it will be one heck of a push. At least the textbook is looking great for an early March launch.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I'm about at 8200 words into my 25,000 goal. Good news is I'm close to finally finishing this book and might get to use the last 5k words to start a new project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

~2000 for project, >2000 for fiction, so 4k goal is technically complete. I'd like to do another 2000 on the project, though.

• Locked thread