Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

CelticPredator posted:

There's just something so scary to me about giant monsters. Little monsters, or like, 8 foot ones you could probably lock up somewhere or have a shot at killing them.

You're completely helpless with something that huge.

That one scene in Pacific Rim must have been terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Shadowhand00 posted:

That was one of the best scenes in the movie.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CelticPredator posted:

There's just something so scary to me about giant monsters. Little monsters, or like, 8 foot ones you could probably lock up somewhere or have a shot at killing them.

You're completely helpless with something that huge.

This movie did a really good job of convincing me that we genuinely couldn't beat Godzilla. Like often in this sort of movie the grand attack fails because of human error, or the military is forced to hold back because they're in a city. Here we actually hit it with everything and we're still just hosed. The notion of Godzilla as a new form of life that we can't compete with is not a new one, but it's just so well-done here.

These are pretty mild spoilers BTW.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently the blu-ray is happening in March! What a long, long wait.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

No English subs though :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like I said earlier, Funimation will most likely take the time to put a dub together for the movie. And hey, this'll probably be the best Godzilla dub because Funi uses their stable of professional VAs for their live action dubs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clearly the best dub is the 1974 MechaGodzilla one.

"MechaGodzilla, beat Godzilla to death!"

Also Russian Monkey Japanese Man. gently caress yes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shadowhand00 posted:

It was a pretty great scene. Especially in 3D.

Or are you talking about the little baby scene? Which was also good, and had the film been more serious, that could've been a really intense horrific scene.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I said earlier, Funimation will most likely take the time to put a dub together for the movie. And hey, this'll probably be the best Godzilla dub because Funi uses their stable of professional VAs for their live action dubs.

the real question is will they dub the parts already in english?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the real question is will they dub the parts already in english?

If they're smart

I haven't seen Shin, but knowing English scenes in Toho movies like I do, it was likely pretty bad.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

If they're smart

I haven't seen Shin, but knowing English scenes in Toho movies like I do, it was likely pretty bad.

Yeah...there were a few actors who actually had English as a first language, but they were still not great actors. Thankfully they had pretty minor characters. Then there was the woman who probably didn't have English as anything but a half-remembered class from school, and she sounded...really bad. (Unfortunately she was also a major character :v:)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wasn't she also supposed to be American? I remember a line where she jokes about being the President one day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kingtheninja posted:

Wasn't she also supposed to be American? I remember a line where she jokes about being the President one day.

Yuup.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah, she was "a quarter" Japanese.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah...there were a few actors who actually had English as a first language, but they were still not great actors. Thankfully they had pretty minor characters. Then there was the woman who probably didn't have English as anything but a half-remembered class from school, and she sounded...really bad. (Unfortunately she was also a major character :v:)

my theater didn't laugh at the first reveal of godzilla, but they did laugh anytime a line was spoken in english, even from the english language "actors"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my theater didn't laugh at the first reveal of godzilla, but they did laugh anytime a line was spoken in english, even from the english language "actors"

The incredibly bored bomber pilots got some laughs

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I saw a screening of Godzilla vs. Biollante in Little Tokyo a while back, and the terrible English lines (especially when that oil baron/sheik guy spoke) got big laughs. As they should.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I just found this thing. The ending kills me everytime.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Shin's third act is crammed full of terrible English dialogue and performances, for no good reason. Was not enough to kill my enjoyment of the movie but it's still a serious bringdown.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Might as well post this here since I don't think there's a general purpose kaiju thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgN-5lZiohQ

Anne Hathaway kaiju comedy?

Looks weird but who knows. Between this and Kong, it's good to see giant monster movies making a comeback!o

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Isn't that the one Toho sued over?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really like that kaiju design

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I like the kaiju design a lot, too. And yeah I remember hearing about lawsuit a while back, not sure the circumstances though.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Rough Lobster posted:

I like the kaiju design a lot, too. And yeah I remember hearing about lawsuit a while back, not sure the circumstances though.

IIRC they used pictures from godzilla to advertise. Like copied the poster and put a cut out of anne hathaway on it or something.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It looks interesting, I'll say - like American Ultra-meets-Daimajin.

It also seems to be a fairly blatant metaphor for complacent Westerners not realizing that their seemingly insignificant actions have global consequences. You know, the sound of thunder type deal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

It looks interesting, I'll say - like American Ultra-meets-Daimajin.

I know some people don't like Anne Hathaway but that's just mean.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If nothing else it's a great teaser.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Anyone else concerned about the box office prospects of Kong: Skull Island and, by extension, Legendary's commitment to continuing its giant monster franchise?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
No, just whether it's good.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

evil_cheese posted:

IIRC they used pictures from godzilla to advertise. Like copied the poster and put a cut out of anne hathaway on it or something.

Ah, okay. I only had vague recollections and since that was the last I'd heard I was afraid it was sunk. Colossal has an interesting premise so I'm glad to see it actually making it to theaters. Between that, Shin, Kong, and Legendary's plans for a "monsterverse" it's great that there is a giant monster movie revival going on. Here's hoping they continue on with more hits than misses.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

HannibalBarca posted:

Anyone else concerned about the box office prospects of Kong: Skull Island and, by extension, Legendary's commitment to continuing its giant monster franchise?

Nope. Unless it stinks, I think people will line up to see it for the spectacle alone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

HannibalBarca posted:

Godzilla 2014 did quite well, Shin Godzilla was an unexpectedly huge success and Pacific Rim was Warner/Legendary's biggest success in China ever and a moderate success domestically. As long as Kong isn't a huge turd we can expect the monster movies to continue.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Yeah I think Godzilla 2 is pretty much guaranteed (although sadly it looks like we're losing Gareth Edwards as director) and I think Pac Rim 2 scored John Bogeys which is pretty big.
http://comicbook.com/2017/01/21/john-boyega-shares-pacific-rim-2-illustration/

E: autocorrect changed Boyega to Bogeys. That sounds like it might fit in with the Pacific Rim universe so I'm leaving it.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 21, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
From what I heard working with Toho and then Disney killed Edwards enthusiasm for big budget film.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Gareth Evans should direct Godzilla 2. Just pass the franchise between Gareths, forever.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Michael Dougherty is doing Godzilla 2, and that kinda owns.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Improbable Lobster posted:

From what I heard working with Toho and then Disney killed Edwards enthusiasm for big budget film.

Actually my understanding is that loving up Rogue One and leading to extensive reshoots where he had to have a babysitter on set killed Legendary's enthusiasm for working with Edwards again, especially given Godzilla's mediocre reception.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually my understanding is that loving up Rogue One and leading to extensive reshoots where he had to have a babysitter on set killed Legendary's enthusiasm for working with Edwards again, especially given Godzilla's mediocre reception.

Wait, how was Rogue One hosed up?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, how was Rogue One hosed up?

well i mean, i don't know the details but whatever happened it produced Rogue One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

PriorMarcus posted:

Say what you will about Rogue One but at least he didn't try to hide Darth Vader from the audience. :rimshot: