Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What is your recording quality set to? OBS can record to a very high level of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

What is your recording quality set to? OBS can record to a very high level of detail.

1920x1080. Then the video comes out, and it's... 1920 by 1090. Maybe I should take this to tech support fort.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

gbuchold posted:

1920x1080. Then the video comes out, and it's... 1920 by 1090. Maybe I should take this to tech support fort.

Not size, quality. It's default is to record at stream friendly quality, so unless you change it it will look a bit shabby.

File, settings, advanced, output, recording quality, indistinguishable (or lossless if you have a spare terabyte or two lying around)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This LP in the archive has youtube links - but for some reason they don't link directly to youtube, but to some no longer existing site instead.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Minish-Cap/

Any chance of this getting fixed?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This LP in the archive has youtube links - but for some reason they don't link directly to youtube, but to some no longer existing site instead.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Minish-Cap/

Any chance of this getting fixed?

While it doesn't help the Archive, I found a youtube playlist on MeccaPrime's channel with all the minish cap videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL962BE185E1ECDFA6

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Zenithe posted:

Not size, quality. It's default is to record at stream friendly quality, so unless you change it it will look a bit shabby.

File, settings, advanced, output, recording quality, indistinguishable (or lossless if you have a spare terabyte or two lying around)

There's a quality option section in OBS? I've never seen one.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Not exactly. Like Zenith says it's under the advanced settings for output. The higher the setting the more power it's going to use and the bigger the file you are going to get. Set it too high and your system may not be able to handle it and OBS will tell you so when recording.

One thing to remember is that it is an advanced setting so you may need to turn on the option to view advanced settings before you are able to change recording quality.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Riveting thread tag update!

Following Games' lead, we've gained , , and , which I think are supposed to replace , , and but that doesn't seem to have taken yet, or maybe it failed entirely? I don't know and don't want to know because that probably involves radium.

More importantly we've gained , in preparation for the rush of Breath of the Wild LPs, because there sure as poo poo isn't any other reason we'd need that for several more months.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Related, I've got a dumb question. How are tags assigned in the mobile browser? For instance, the pokeball tag doesn't seem to have a mobile equivalent besides the boring blue tag. (I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this, I am dumb.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fedule posted:

More importantly we've gained , in preparation for the rush of Breath of the Wild LPs, because there sure as poo poo isn't any other reason we'd need that for several more months.
What, no group LPs of 1-2-Switch?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Related, I've got a dumb question. How are tags assigned in the mobile browser? For instance, the pokeball tag doesn't seem to have a mobile equivalent besides the boring blue tag. (I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this, I am dumb.)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "mobile browser" but based on context ("boring blue tag") I assume you are referring to Awful.app, in which case the app has its own set of tags which map 1:1 onto the forum ones. A good few (like the last batch of Games tags) haven't been adapted yet. Possibly gently reminding the devs in their thread in IYG will help.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "mobile browser" but based on context ("boring blue tag") I assume you are referring to Awful.app, in which case the app has its own set of tags which map 1:1 onto the forum ones. A good few (like the last batch of Games tags) haven't been adapted yet. Possibly gently reminding the devs in their thread in IYG will help.

Ah, yeah, the Awful app. Thanks!

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Fedule posted:

I stand ready and willing to break the poo poo out of that game.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The discord channel link is dead, any chance of that being updated?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Build-a-Boar posted:

The discord channel link is dead, any chance of that being updated?

Alas, due to a regrettable incident involving a time machine, a lawnmower, and a margarita, that can't be done, SALTCastle has had to tighten security to stop such things happening again. However, if you get in touch via birdsite (@TheMadWelshman) or via my reviewing/other biz enquiries mail (themadpembsman@gmail.com) , then I'm reasonably sure we can accomodate.

EDIT: I have been informed this is over eloquent and seemingly nonsensical. My response is that such is also my life. Nonetheless, the SALTCastle has had to remove permanent invites for the foreseeable future. Sorry about that.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JamieTheD posted:

Alas, due to a regrettable incident involving a time machine, a lawnmower, and a margarita, that can't be done, SALTCastle has had to tighten security to stop such things happening again. However, if you get in touch via birdsite (@TheMadWelshman) or via my reviewing/other biz enquiries mail (themadpembsman@gmail.com) , then I'm reasonably sure we can accomodate.

Again, because we have to be certain you're not one of those margarita wielding folk who gave us such hassle, a reference from someone we can at least play three degrees of separation with is preferable. Those drat TimeSnakes... :yarr:

EDIT: I have been informed this is over eloquent and seemingly nonsensical. My response is that such is also my life. Nonetheless, the SALTCastle has had to remove permanent invites for the foreseeable future. Sorry about that.

Okay I didn't catch half of that, but dim ots.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What sort of singular incident would cause the entire discord for a group to be strictly "you need to go offsite to talk to this guy just to get access"? :lol:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Unfunny Poster posted:

What sort of singular incident would cause the entire discord for a group to be strictly "you need to go offsite to talk to this guy just to get access"? :lol:

One involving a time machine, a lawnmower, and a margarita. Is that not singular enough? :laffo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
While I appreciate the lightheartedness I don't think being cute about it is very conducive to making people well-informed. Having a group with many members be open to public joining when there are people trying to dox members of the forum for (basically) unrelated events is not a great idea. Recent events in the SA LP discord that I can't really go into in depth because I wasn't around when it happened have proven as much, hence why it's not open to public joining at the moment.

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

Hello everyone, and welcome to the world of Fire Emblem: Fates! Fire Emblem: Fates is the 14th entry in the ever-expanding tactical-RPG series. In this entry, there is not only a single game, but three unique paths available for individual purchase (I guess awakening didn't make enough on it's own). This entry builds off a lot of the new mechanics introduced in Fire Emblem:Awakening while also expanding on mechanics that have been apart of the series for ages.

What difficulty are you playing this on?
I will be playing on Lunatic and Classic, to make things even more challenging on myself I will not be grinding in the paths where such options are available.

Which path are you doing first?
Either Conquest or Birthright, you decide! The first six chapters of all the paths are exactly the same, so once we've gotten past that point I'll allow you guys to choose which path to start with. I'll be doing Revelations last just because I feel it makes the most sense.

Can the audience participate?
Of course! as I read Tae's LP of Fire Emblem:Awakening, I was very interested in how he played the game based on the audiences choices, and thought it'd be a lot of fun to try myself. I will allow the audience to vote on who gets paired with who, which units participate in each battle, and which classes characters change to.

Can you elaborate on class changes?
Characters will get promoted or reclassed as soon as they've gained all the skills for their current class, with the exception of Azura who I'll allow to be reclassed at level 15 since she learns skills all the way up to level 35 (though we only care about her skills up to level 25).

What's your policy on spoilers?
Please do not spoil anything. Fire Emblem:Fates is a plot dense game, as you would imagine with it having three paths. Of course it's fine to discuss events currently going on in the LP and speculate but PLEASE DO NOT SPOIL!

Table of Contents
Shared Chapters:
Prologue:Ties That Bind

Here is a list of other Fire Emblem LP's if you just can't get enough of the series!
Other FE LPs

Fire Emblem (1): Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light by DKII
Fire Emblem (2): Gaiden by DKII (ongoing version)
Fire Emblem (3) Mystery of the Emblem by DemonTrigger (Need archives)
Fire Emblem (4): Geneology of the Holy War by Wind God Sety
Fire Emblem (5): Thracia 776 by Cake Attack
Fire Emblem (6): Sword of Seals by Artix74
Fire Emblem (7): Blazing Sword by Artix74
Fire Emblem (8): The Sacred Stones by Blastinus
Fire Emblem (9): Path of Radiance by Fedule
Fire Emblem (10): Radiant Dawn by Fedule
Fire Emblem (11): Shadow Dragon by TenaCrane (Need archives)
Fire Emblem (12): New Mystery of the Emblem ~ Heroes of Light and Shadow by TenaCrane
Fire Emblem (13): Awakening by Tae

Further Resources
Serenes Forest
Hit Rates Explanation

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I got a spam offer to join a network
Now, it's not my first one, and almost everyone in the subforum gets them, it's nothing unusual
Except this one is unusual:
1) it's a Russian network (there's a line there, which I like, "Russian-language support", as if I loving need any)
And 2) they think that I am "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Topic"
They don't even loving check who they're sending this spam to

:fuckoff:

The question is, do I reply with snark?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Delete it and never look back because it's weirdo spam? :confused:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, never reply to (especially clearly automated) spam, that just tells them there's someone actually looking at the inbox they're messaging.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

I got a spam offer to join a network
Now, it's not my first one, and almost everyone in the subforum gets them, it's nothing unusual
Except this one is unusual:
1) it's a Russian network (there's a line there, which I like, "Russian-language support", as if I loving need any)
And 2) they think that I am "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Topic"
They don't even loving check who they're sending this spam to

:fuckoff:

The question is, do I reply with snark?

Since its a Russian network reply that Putin is a war criminal and they'll annex Ukraine over your dead body death to the Kremlin.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Argh, you're right
I never do, but I really wanted to this time after I was labeled an entire loving topic

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The - Topic channels are loving weird. YouTube has bots to basically repost random poo poo related to a certain thing.

You're probably somewhere on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1jJCD62RE9a8RAi97iiJg and that's how they found you and why they marked you.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I collect weird spam because it's adorable. I've had spambots with Occupation: Human, Occupation: Real, and Occupation: Slavery of Humanity (they're getting more and more blatant :psylon:) and the funniest one posted by an obvious spammer on a miniature painter's thread:

quote:

your painting is sowing social discord and civil disobedience. In the future, please think about the consequences of posting your work, so this doesnt happen again. Perhaps use less of whatever it is that you use to get your results? Thanks.
:allears:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Screenshot the cutscenes, you lazy bum :argh:

...seriously, it's rather obnoxious to have to watch videos when you're reading a sslp.

Also, your growths are misaligned, either put hp: 45, str: 45, etc, or use code tags:

code:
HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res
45 45  30  40  45  45  35  25

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Saving games and mispronouncing names: Let's play Chrono Trigger

Sweet banners and stuff by Tyrel himself, aka SaltMonsterDeluxe

Chrono Trigger is an indie rpg developed by a small team in the 90's for the Super Nintendo. You've probably never heard of it. Released in March 1995 in Japan then later in August in North America, it was met with pretty much universal acclaim and it's still beloved by many today. Like Earthbound and Final Fantasy insert number here, some people go absolutely ga- ga over it, but unlike those games it doesn't really have any annoyingly dated parts to it like long load screens, too many random battles, or grinding. Sure it has a pretty silly time travel plot but it manages to be endearing instead of cringy. Finding things that are flat out bad in this game is difficult, at least for me. I mean poo poo, it has seemless transitions from exploration to its combat system, cool dual and triple techs that are barely ever done in other games and when they are they're not nearly as flashy or filled with as much personality, a great soundtrack and holy gently caress man. It's one of the few games that kinda deserves its rediculous praise, and oh boy do I have some nerd words to say about it.

Why we're playing it:

Besides my love for the game that I couldn't hold back for more than like five sentences, it's mainly my good friend Tyrel. Tyrel likes games but he's mostly just played minecraft, gran turismo, and animal crossing. He's never even played a zelda game. We play a lot of silly co- op games lately but he expressed interest in playing some classics as well. I thought it might be interesting to see his take on seeing chrono trigger for the first time as someone who hasn't played much if any fantasy stuff. I haven't played it in forever so for me it's about rediscovering some stuff I had forgotten, like how the npcs are all delightfully dickish. I also know a few other people who are fairly hardcore gamers and never played or really heard of Chrono Trigger, so hopefully this will be a good showing for those that haven't played and maybe a new perspective or just a fun refresher for those that have. Basically CT is a great starting point for anyone who has never played or understood why people like jrpgs, and I thought it would be a good starting point for Tyrel and our first LP of a classic.

After 40 years of research, experts theorize that this is what you might see if you were to lick Frog

About the LP:

This will be a live vlp since I mostly know where to go maybe, and I can see Tyrel's reactions to things. Don't worry though, if I supremely gently caress up and die to a boss or get lost I'll just cut it out using the power of editing. That would never happen though. Surely. Also in the spirit of chillness and because I don't like being penalized for having to scroll through menus, I'm playing on wait mode. I'm willing to start over and switch to active if it bothers enough people though, as the game isn't as long as a lot of people remember. It's gonna be a combination of informative and casual. Knowing us, more toward casual eventually. We've known each other forever so we like to shoot the poo poo sometimes, but I also know the game pretty well. We like to play save point to save point and keep our videos under thirty minutes so they're not super long, so some of the videos might stop kind of randomly. We'll be playing on SNES because we kinda like that authentic feeling of playing the game on its system. This is our first SUPER SERIOUS lp for our channel Buried in Wires, which I'm not sure about the name of yet but accurately describes how I felt when we first started lping.

Spoiler policy:

I know it's a twenty year old game but Tyrel just bought an account and will probably lurk this thread, and I really don't want to spoil him. I actually think that even the plot holds up today, with some legit surprising and exciting turns, and I wouldn't want to ruin that for even one or two people. I guess you can talk about stuff that's in the near future but please be careful.

Why do you guys call each other dude. What are you, fifteen?

I mean yeah basically

Part 1 - A Pokemon Ripoff
Part 2 - Teleporter Trippin'

This is our first kind of serious LP so just wanted to make sure everything's cool. How's our audio? Should we bring up the game audio, turn down ours? How's the op, is it too wordy? Thanks to anyone who reads or watches and makes it this far

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Ultra Spoot posted:

Tyrel just bought an account and will probably lurk this thread

That's me.

Ultra Spoot and I are working to make a quality vlp thread and to do that we need your feedback! Video/audio quality, images, op content, dialogue, it's all on the table. Please tell us if we suck so we can not suck anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It looks good. The image quality on the videos is a little smeary, but that's to be expected from direct capture from a SNES (or any SD-era console, really). The OP looks good--don't worry about the length, I've done OPs that stretch into the 10 page zone in MS Word and people pretend to like my stuff, so that's a non issue. Your audio is nice and clear and free of noise and you're both well balanced against each other and the game. And your commentary is good too, you both have good chemistry and (at least one of you) is very informative about the game. The image work is good too.

Basically :justpost:

Mantis314
Jan 18, 2017

vilkacis posted:

Screenshot the cutscenes, you lazy bum :argh:

...seriously, it's rather obnoxious to have to watch videos when you're reading a sslp.

Also, your growths are misaligned, either put hp: 45, str: 45, etc, or use code tags:

code:
HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res
45 45  30  40  45  45  35  25

I added screenshots of the cutscenes. Not doing so initially was more of an oversight than an act of laziness. Also thank you very much for pointing at the growth misalignment. I've remedied this using your code tag suggestion.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

nine-gear crow posted:

The image quality on the videos is a little smeary, but that's to be expected from direct capture from a SNES (or any SD-era console, really)
Maybe if you don't have RGB cables and a Framemeister :smug: (which is only ten times more expensive than the RCA/S-video upscaler they seem to be using here)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

So two things with this section:
FE2 has an Lparchive link: http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/
FE8 is linked wrong. You have lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Sacred-Stones/ but it should be http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-The-Sacred-Stones/

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

And your commentary is good too, you both have good chemistry and (at least one of you) is very informative about the game. The image work is good too.

Basically :justpost:

Awesome, thank you! Yeah besides wanting him to see the game I think he helps me to keep on track or change the subject when I lose my train of thought. I have a newfound respect for anyone who does an lp by themselves, it is tough.

Doc Morbid posted:

Maybe if you don't have RGB cables and a Framemeister :smug: (which is only ten times more expensive than the RCA/S-video upscaler they seem to be using here)

Yeah we're totally using an upscaler. I had never heard of framemeister before so I looked it up, saw the first result was three thousand dollars and literally shat out a fully upholstered couch

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ultra Spoot posted:

Yeah we're totally using an upscaler. I had never heard of framemeister before so I looked it up, saw the first result was three thousand dollars and literally shat out a fully upholstered couch
:staredog:

It's supposed to be 300-400 bucks. The prices on ebay have recently been going up because Micomsoft is stopping production of the Framemeister, but I didn't think it was that bad yet (I assure you, I wouldn't have bought one if it cost thousands of dollars even though I am a regular in the :retrogames: thread)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ultra Spoot posted:

Saving games and mispronouncing names: Let's play Chrono Trigger

Looks good to me. You guys have a good rapport and definitely seem capable of pulling off a VLP of a JRPG.

Also you guys making so many Pokemon jokes is amusing to me, because the Chinese NES bootleg of Chrono Trigger is very Pokemon-esque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXeCDwIl4Ew

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

:staredog:

It's supposed to be 300-400 bucks. The prices on ebay have recently been going up because Micomsoft is stopping production of the Framemeister, but I didn't think it was that bad yet (I assure you, I wouldn't have bought one if it cost thousands of dollars even though I am a regular in the :retrogames: thread)

Oh ok 300- 400 is a little better, still pretty pricey but if you like capturing old systems it sounds worth it. I might actually get one at some point. I just happened to search it on amazon and this is the first result: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q...jhZL&ref=plSrch

I guess importing from Japan costs 2500 dollars somehow?

Genocyber posted:

Looks good to me. You guys have a good rapport and definitely seem capable of pulling off a VLP of a JRPG.

Also you guys making so many Pokemon jokes is amusing to me, because the Chinese NES bootleg of Chrono Trigger is very Pokemon-esque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXeCDwIl4Ew

I had never seen this before, oh my god. The way Crono shimmies around everywhere is a national treasure that I need framed on my wall Harry Potter style. But yeah thank you, we've been doing lp's of short games for a while and we finally have a kind of routine and workflow to it now so I think we're ready for some longer stuff hopefully. You know, unless my pc explodes or something

Ultra Spoot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ultra Spoot posted:

Oh ok 300- 400 is a little better, still pretty pricey but if you like capturing old systems it sounds worth it. I might actually get one at some point. I just happened to search it on amazon and this is the first result: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q...jhZL&ref=plSrch
I got it for playing old systems on my HDTV without everything looking like poo poo, being able to use it to record old games by hooking it up to the Elgato was just a really nice bonus. It is a bit pricey, but the quality is way better than you get with cheap upscalers and there's less input lag as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dzrCAfU3A

This is really more of a Tech Support Fort discussion, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hey anybody knows what happened to speedball? Last I knew of him was making an lp of endless legend. Seems like a nice chap and I usually saw him posting around the same threads I lurked in.

Normally I wouldn't ask around for particular goons, but from the XCOM 2 LP we know he is depressive and that with his dissapearance is a bit worrying.