Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xzzy posted:

Yes because spending a week of in-game time digging up more clay and sand so you can rebuild everything it destroyed sounds like a heap of fun.
If you didn't have fun gathering it initially, why are you playing this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The initial build is fun because you're basically playing survival legos. Repairing battered walls after a 7th night is fun (to a point) too.

Clearing out a bunch of rubble and rebuilding an entire base because a 15 foot giant collapsed the whole place, not so much.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I would hope there is going to be additional weapons, traps, etc to help deal with giant zombies because yeah, rebuilding a totally destroyed base kind of sucks. Then again I play with 400% increased loot rates because that is more fun to me anyways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Great Beer posted:

The solution is to drive minibikes around far away from your base all night. Zombies are too slow to catch you or cause damage. Assuming the game world loads properly and you don't fall through the ground, anyway.

That or you drive your minibike into a pond and have to take it apart.

No I haven't done that. Six times. Never.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I want more end game content in my base building game, but I dont want anything that can hurt my base.

- A goon

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nice piece of fiction there.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

JB50 posted:

I want more end game content in my base building game, but I dont want anything that can hurt my base.

- A goon

A middle ground exists between "My base is invulnerable" and "It is pointless to build a base because of the new fuckmonster".

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Great Beer posted:

A middle ground exists between "My base is invulnerable" and "It is pointless to build a base because of the new fuckmonster".

Im sure he will be killable, probably just have a gently caress ton of HP. Kinda like the tank in L4D.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

JB50 posted:

Im sure he will be killable, probably just have a gently caress ton of HP. Kinda like the tank in L4D.

Tbqh he'll probably never actually spawn because the devs are horrifically inept.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Bought this in the Steam sale just after Christmas, it's been a load of fun. I like the bleakness of it, and it's trained me to be very good at headshots (also vehicular manslaughter). I'm finding it a legit fun game.

The only bug I've found so far in around ~100 hours is I rode off the edge of the map, still alive, and floated into an empty grey landscape.
It was a pain in the rear end, as the minibike dissapeared and so did everything in its basket. Apart from that it's been solid.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It was a pain in the rear end, as the minibike dissapeared and so did everything in its basket. Apart from that it's been solid.

Check your backpack next time you login. There are instances where you can lose a minibike to the abyss so the devs coded it where your bike parts sometimes go to your inventory.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

CoffeeBooze posted:

I would hope there is going to be additional weapons, traps, etc to help deal with giant zombies because yeah, rebuilding a totally destroyed base kind of sucks. Then again I play with 400% increased loot rates because that is more fun to me anyways.

They definitely neeed more traps, but A16 previews have shown hints of various things like motorized bladee traps etc, so we'll see if they put enough in their pseudo-tower defense game to be interesting.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stuntman posted:

If you didn't have fun gathering it initially, why are you playing this game?

If it's possible to kill that thing without the base getting trashed, and it's a challenge, I'm all for it.

When the Alpha version updates to a16 eventually, are saves likely to be compatible?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If it's possible to kill that thing without the base getting trashed, and it's a challenge, I'm all for it.

When the Alpha version updates to a16 eventually, are saves likely to be compatible?

Landscape isn't supposed to change but buildings are, so the map will probably carry over but any structures will be borked. Devs always suggest starting a new map with a new build just in case.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A couple friends of mine and I fired this up the other night and went to town making a gigantic 20 blocks deep trench with spikes along the bottom. The only way into our hidey hole was to make a leap of faith over the chasm. I tried to get a decent screenshot of it but they came out black.

Anyone else run into that bug?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

A couple friends of mine and I fired this up the other night and went to town making a gigantic 20 blocks deep trench with spikes along the bottom. The only way into our hidey hole was to make a leap of faith over the chasm. I tried to get a decent screenshot of it but they came out black.

Did you guys craft a drawbridge, cuz thats in the game now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do drawbridges still collapse without supports under the center of the bridge?

I did some test runs in creative and they seemed okay but I keep seeing hits in google searches indicating there's still issues.

Either way, the leap of faith is more fun. That's how my current SP base is set up, minus the death pit. You just gotta jump a gap to get to the only door.

john donne
Apr 10, 2016

All suitors of all sorts themselves enthral;

So on his back lies this whale wantoning,

And in his gulf-like throat, sucks everything

That passeth near.
Even better is to get minibikes and make it a ramp jump Evil Kenevil style

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

xzzy posted:

Do drawbridges still collapse without supports under the center of the bridge?

I did some test runs in creative and they seemed okay but I keep seeing hits in google searches indicating there's still issues.

Either way, the leap of faith is more fun. That's how my current SP base is set up, minus the death pit. You just gotta jump a gap to get to the only door.

They work fine for me with a row of blocks under the connecting side, so the anchored part. No support for the bridge itself.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You can use the regular Steam screenshot key, or there is an in game key (F9? by default I believe).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I used the Steam screenshot, still came out black.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Feels good watching a feral blow himself up on a Landmine as he runs towards you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Feels good watching a feral blow himself up on a Landmine as he runs towards you.

I found out the sudden and terrifying way that Ferals can run in broad daylight now :(

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I still play, have hosted servers in the past, etc. It's one of those games where I can play a bit, get a base situated and self-sustaining, maybe raid some other bases, and eventually get bored and stop playing for a few months, but I always swing back around eventually and get the itch again. It's possible to get to concrete in 7 days no problem now that I know exactly what to look for/spend time gathering. Still requires a bit of luck with recipes though.

Excited for the Behemoth! Haven't seen any details made public yet but hoping that it brings more complexity than "does 5000 block damage per hit".

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
They've briefly mentioned a few endgame mutations, but the only one fleshing out right now is a radiated one that can resurrect downed zombies in an AOE.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Do most people prefer vanilla, valmod expansion or valmod overhaul?

I tried valmod overhaul and I coudn't make a bow or wood frames so I decided it was basically impossible.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

redreader posted:

Do most people prefer vanilla, valmod expansion or valmod overhaul?

I tried valmod overhaul and I coudn't make a bow or wood frames so I decided it was basically impossible.

Valmod is cool if you have a group of 4 or more. I prefer vanilla for anything smaller because I only play in day or so bursts so the RNG isn't taxing.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I used the Steam screenshot, still came out black.

Did you try the in-game key? It will save the screenshot to the game dir.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Day 14 of my vanilla game. Typing this as the game plays. The roof of the police station has a skylight overlooking the main ground floor lobby. I'm standing overlooking the zombies, who are killing themselves on spikes below. Not one got onto the roof on day 7 either. I tried to build a platform as someone suggested: it was about 7-8 blocks high, and 8 blocks long. I put in one support on each corner. As I was finishing off the middle of the platform the entire platform got destroyed. I'm just left with the 4 supporting poles. Looks like more supporting poles were needed or something? I'm not entirely sure :(

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
From what I remember, blocks can only support so many other blocks, horizontally, before giving way.

They can support as many blocks stacked vertically as there is space to place blocks, but the entire weight of that floor is basically divided up between whichever blocks are supported from ground level, and how many of which material blocks you can have without it falling down depends also on what kind of block your floor is being built horizontally outwards from.

I don't remember for sure whether or not a player's weight counts(i.e. can be the difference between poo poo breaking and not).

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

lohli posted:

From what I remember, blocks can only support so many other blocks, horizontally, before giving way.

They can support as many blocks stacked vertically as there is space to place blocks, but the entire weight of that floor is basically divided up between whichever blocks are supported from ground level, and how many of which material blocks you can have without it falling down depends also on what kind of block your floor is being built horizontally outwards from.

I don't remember for sure whether or not a player's weight counts(i.e. can be the difference between poo poo breaking and not).

Pretty sure the player's weight does count. Unless my memory is completely bad, I remember building a bridge only to have it collapse once I actually got on it. Oh wait, no I have the best example.

Use the prebuilt map and find a bridge and walk up the railings and when you get to the top of the beam it'll just fall apart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Maguoob posted:

Pretty sure the player's weight does count. Unless my memory is completely bad, I remember building a bridge only to have it collapse once I actually got on it. Oh wait, no I have the best example.

Use the prebuilt map and find a bridge and walk up the railings and when you get to the top of the beam it'll just fall apart.

Doesnt the deck fall apart when you walk across it as well? At least it did a few patches ago.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redreader posted:

Day 14 of my vanilla game. Typing this as the game plays. The roof of the police station has a skylight overlooking the main ground floor lobby. I'm standing overlooking the zombies, who are killing themselves on spikes below. Not one got onto the roof on day 7 either. I tried to build a platform as someone suggested: it was about 7-8 blocks high, and 8 blocks long. I put in one support on each corner. As I was finishing off the middle of the platform the entire platform got destroyed. I'm just left with the 4 supporting poles. Looks like more supporting poles were needed or something? I'm not entirely sure :(

I found the police station was quite a good place to hold them off - I knocked the stairs out and camped upstairs, shooting them as they milled about below on the ground floor.
I made an overhang around the centre, so spiders couldn't climb up. Whoever designed those deserves some credit, creepy as gently caress.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Structural Integrity beginners guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVca4OT99A

Holy poo poo this is an hour long guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hq_HxCqgyU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Really all you gotta know is the max load column in this list:

http://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Building_Materials

(scroll down to the a15 section)

Basic idea is that vertical load doesn't matter at all, and if you're attaching stuff to a pillar make sure the block that you're extending from is one of the ones with a max load of 320. Special items to note is that concrete is not very strong structurally.. it has a ton of health so zombies will have issues breaking it, but you can't hang much structure off it. But if you build a column of concrete and put a metal reinforced wood block on top of it and hang structure off that, you will be able to do a lot more.

In practice, it seems like a 6x6 stilt building is as big a footprint as you can safely build.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Thanks for the videos! This explains why my iron bar lip collapsed. They were anchored to the other iron bars and not the block I was putting it on.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

JB50 posted:

Doesnt the deck fall apart when you walk across it as well? At least it did a few patches ago.

With just player weight it is fine, but don't fight a horde on the bridge unless you want it to fall apart. A few zombies is fine, but once I had a bunch of corpses and went to go club a zombie to death and the bridge just collapsed on me.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's a shame cause they LOOK like a cool early base spot.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I've made a 6 square deep moat with log spikes. I fear this will be my undoing because I didn't line the walls in cobble or cement.

The blueberry and coffee crops are plentiful and seem to enjoy the taste of Dave the skater punk zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I can tell, the only things that cause zombies to go nuts on construction is spikes, doors, and being unable to path where they want to go.

Which basically means if you build a 6x6 stilt platform and stand in the very middle of it, zombies will never damage you or your fort.

Obviously this falls apart once cops start showing up.