Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Based on scaling - early on you need power when it costs a lot more than your buildings and later on it costs less than your buildings to the point that you just buy it when it makes sense.

Currently I'm on City 7, haven't prestiged yet, and my strat is to build all big buildings first and build up income, then build small buildings to close out population later.

Because buildings seem to scale income on a multiplier and you receive upgrades linearly - it makes sense to just upgrade a few buildings to build up your income. There will be some balance due to upgrades taking longer with each one, but I don't know the exact timing and at least for now it goes a lot faster to just upgrade X buildings at once and build no more until the end; where X is the level you are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Malek posted:

Oh, small aesthetic bug. I watched a car pull donuts in the middle of a 3 way stop. Don't change this. It is awesome.

I noticed this earlier at work today. Please keep it. I smiled.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Old-time Pocket Trains beta tester checking in. Playing on my 2013 Nexus 7.

Most of my nitpicks have already been addressed: needs more of the trademark Nimblebit humor ala bitizens, mission screen needs a visual, the cities as they stand are just larger piles of resources and need some differentiation. (I've also played Egg Inc through the Gravitons so I see the inspirations, but you can go farther. I've never actually played any of the SimCity games since the original so I'm not much help there.)

Events. Have weird things happen at intervals -- weather events, rampaging kaiju, natural disasters in the classic citybuilder style. Underlings to assign to manage certain areas, with varying effects. (Roger the Engineer improves power production by 10% but fucks up traffic patterns by trying to make the traffic lights spell his name. Meg the Harbormaster improves boat spawn rate by 10% but blows up an occasional plane with cannons. Mark the Tax Collector adds 1% to Business-related revenue powerups but YOU WILL REGRET ever reducing his funding.) Some kind of small daily scaling quest to grind out to keep people coming back.

Major projects. A huge multipurpose stadium, a bridge to build to gain access to some areas to build there, a light rail system, a monument, a militia to fight off an invasion of giant klurfs, contact with aliens, that sort of thing. Requiring substantial investment outside of progress-to-the-next-city goals, but giving some kind of achievement or bonus for completing.

Rivalries with other cities. Not necessarily multiplayer/pvp, but news updates on some other nearby city that you can compete with and laugh at.

Boy oh boy does this game suck battery away, even with Shadows and Immersive off. (What does Immersive do, anyway?)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

delfin posted:

a light rail system

Holy poo poo, if this game added in some sort of mass transit system that you could design, it'd be my favourite thing ever. Probably outside the scope of this game, but I can dream.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Two things I forgot to mention:

I'm not really sure how to interpret the Roads to Riches game upgrade. Is that really only for car bonuses or does it apply to all bonuses be they car, plane, or boat based? The latter's much more useful than the former IMO so I'd like to be sure.

It looks like the city building upgrade text popups have priority over coin pickup text popups, or in other words there's times when I tap a coin and the text for it disappears way faster than it ought to (or fails to show up at all) presumably because my auto-builders just upgraded a building in that fraction of a second afterwards.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
If you build a large square building when you are at 90% power, you can put your city at 130% of power capacity. I'm not sure if that's intentional.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I gotta say, prestiging after spending a lot of time on a city kind of kills my motivation for starting over. This time, though, I think I'm going to aim for city 8, rather than stopping at 5 or 6 (whatever one is after the first city with a dock).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Game is still fun even after my progress was reset. I did notice that I was missing the customization that came with games like tiny tower. I used to make weird towers, like all mime costumes and the color palette was set to black and white. That's part of the charm this game doesn't have yet.

I just experienced a weird/funny bug. I prestiged and on the first level maxed the first upgrade only. I went to city 2, built three service buildings and locked my phone to do some things around the house. Fifteen minutes later I unlocked my phone and all the tier one and two upgrades were maxed (I didn't buy a single one of them), but they weren't applying. I restarted the app and they kicked in.

Edit: Same thing on level three. Three tiers of upgrades already maxed when the level starts.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
It's fun doing careful manicuring of parts of your city when you can choose the zones.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

eeenmachine posted:

It's fun doing careful manicuring of parts of your city when you can choose the zones.

You are definitely onto something here. My one big problem right now is the inability to shape the look or appearance of the city beyond the landmarking option. (By the way, maybe it's just me, but calling it "Landmark" instead of "Historical" would be more comprehensible.)

If it were an empty grid with appropriate spots of different sizes, and you had some kind of rough RCI interaction going on...

I dig the music too, very SimCityish.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Yeah the game feels like it has a solid core but its ultimately flat like Sim City 2013. Thankfully devs aren't going to abandon this like EA did with that. I'm pretty sure there is a salvageable city game in the SC2013 engine.

Only issue I currently have that isn't being addressed is that the end feels like poke a bunch of plots to finish buying it up which is tedious and that stacking levels on large plots makes the most money so there is little reason to expand until the very end. I feel balance more towards more plots (synergy, and/or population being a key factor into income and maybe the other way) also not needing to fill all the plots would feel good which I think has been mentioned. But this does not address the issue of it feels like expanding is actually going to hold you back.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the update saying you were holding off on adding new testers, I was wondering why I didn't get an email :ohdear:

Also, have you guys played Pixel People? A lot of the suggestions I've heard remind me of mechanics from that: the news ticker, some citizens doing special things/unlocking bonuses, special events, tapping on certain buildings for bonuses. I highly recommend looking into it, it was a fun game with lots of fun humor.

For the ticker, would you accept crowd sourcing of the text? That way you guys just have to review it before putting it in the game. Or is it a space thing?

E: Also you you've probably already thought of this, but you should consider naming it "Bitty City" :v:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 24, 2017

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just experienced the upgrade bug again on the same run. I went to the fifth city, and after it loaded before I did anything I minimized the game, loaded the Awful app, minimized that and opened the game again and nearly all the upgrades are completed. Except this time there are a few that are not done, so it actually looks exactly like it did before I prestiged on this city during my last run.

Also, it wiped one of my bux upgrades. I had two levels into Keeper of Keys and one is missing. The coin upgrade issue is amusing, but the bux upgrade part would definitely be problematic for many.

It looks to me like it is loading part of an earlier state for some reason.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 24, 2017

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
Anyone else getting crazy lag on the bigger maps after a few minutes? The game runs smoothly when I first boot it up, but after a few upgrades, moving the camera around, and zooming in and out it gets extremely choppy. Restarting the app fixes this temporarily. This is on Android (Nexus 6p).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gibbering Madness posted:

Anyone else getting crazy lag on the bigger maps after a few minutes? The game runs smoothly when I first boot it up, but after a few upgrades, moving the camera around, and zooming in and out it gets extremely choppy. Restarting the app fixes this temporarily. This is on Android (Nexus 6p).

I do. Nexus 6p as well.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Enigma posted:

I do. Nexus 6p as well.

lags on Nexus 9 and Memu (emulator) and Memu doesn't really lag in anything on my computer.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think there are some optimizations going into the next build that should address some of that which didn't make it into the current build.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Is anyone else having the upgrade bug I posted about? I can just about reproduce it at will. All I have to do is advance to a level I have been on before, minimize the app after the map loads (before tapping anything in the level - not sure whether that is necessary), do anything for a few seconds, then open the app again.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Enigma posted:

Is anyone else having the upgrade bug I posted about? I can just about reproduce it at will. All I have to do is advance to a level I have been on before, minimize the app after the map loads (before tapping anything in the level - not sure whether that is necessary), do anything for a few seconds, then open the app again.

I've had it occur once mid-level. I maxed out my upgrades for that city, bought a few lots, then locked my phone. When I came back the lots i had purchased were still there but my upgrades had reverted to what they were about half an hour ago. This is on a Nexus 5 with cloud saves active.

A prestige building that adds to your starting cash or lets you skip the first few cities would be great as well. I've prestiged twice now and even with +280% income getting through the first three cities feels like a chore.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost

Ephphatha posted:

A prestige building that adds to your starting cash or lets you skip the first few cities would be great as well. I've prestiged twice now and even with +280% income getting through the first three cities feels like a chore.
Haven't played yet, but part of the fun for Egg, Inc for me is burning through the early eggs super fast after I Prestige, so I hope there's some sort of balance to this.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Could you guys try and get ads for movies or something? I am already playing your game, I def don't want to play Dragon Breeders, or Command and Conquer Mobile too.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What, you don't want to watch the magic piano puzzle ad 50,000 times?

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

Gibbering Madness posted:

I've noticed on my several year old phone that cars are lag incarnate. The slowly spawn in when you start, so that may be part of it. I stopped buying cars and my phone doesn't lag at all anymore on later levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

What, you don't want to watch the magic piano puzzle ad 50,000 times?

The cat woman puzzle is my favourite, if only for that one panning shot where her cat looks like it's seen some poo poo. :stare:

Anyway, minor feature request/QoL upgrade: could we get to see how many things we've built towards a 'build ## whatevers' missions? Right now, I'm doing the "Build 1,000 buildings" mission, and while I appreciate the green status bar, I'd love a "230/1000" below it to show me exactly how many I have left to go.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chadina posted:

I've noticed on my several year old phone that cars are lag incarnate. The slowly spawn in when you start, so that may be part of it. I stopped buying cars and my phone doesn't lag at all anymore on later levels.

Yea, that is what we did some optimizations to that will be included in the next build.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Issue I've run into (not sure if others have - haven't read through the whole thread). If I disable video offers and then re-enable, I just channel surf when I try for double time. I can usually fix this by closing the app.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Another weird lag hit I noticed is that once I've had the app open for a while (on ios 10.2.1), you notice a little pause every time you build a new plot. There's a second's delay before the crane spawns and the first lot is built.

Once I force closed and restarted the app this disappeared.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Game ate my save a good way into the third prestige. Sadly I don't think the gameplay loop of waiting to fill out the last parcels after getting all the upgrades is strong enough to make me start again from scratch.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Could you guys try and get ads for movies or something? I am already playing your game, I def don't want to play Dragon Breeders, or Command and Conquer Mobile too.
You never pick which ads you get to show, that's up to the vendors you sign up with and only like 2 or 3 of them actually pay out anything meaningful and they almost exclusively show apps in the ads.

eeenmachine posted:

Careful, if you go any further, this'll turn into a Kairosoft game and having a large variety of semi-related buildings near each other will offer further bonuses!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 25, 2017

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

To assist with this can we get some kind of citipedia that stores each discovered building and its type? If that doesn't already exist of course.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LeFishy posted:

To assist with this can we get some kind of citipedia that stores each discovered building and its type? If that doesn't already exist of course.

I'd love this, especially if there was flavour text added :allears:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Careful, if you go any further, this'll turn into a Kairosoft game and having a large variety of semi-related buildings near each other will offer further bonuses!

That sounds amazing I love Kairosoft games! Krairosoft city builder with RNG plots that you can lock in sounds like a ton of fun.

I would probably waste thousands of hours trying to get the perfect combos up and running for my free time don't do this, if you can find a way to make money from the digital crack that would be go ahead.

If you guys haven't played a Kairosoft game you really should. Just not any of the Dev ones they are amazing, but wouldn't help you with making this game go back and make them after.

Speaking of any chance on a Nimblebit take on Game Dev Story?

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 25, 2017

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

See this is more what I was hoping for. You are definitely on the right track now with being able to make the city feel a little more custom.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have to agree having some kind of system to allow you to design the city better or a benefit from a little more micromanagement of a city would go a long way in keeping people invested. The closest thing to it is the goals of things like "have 6 pizza joints" and those feel more tedious then anything especially when you're in one of the larger cities since usually it boils down to just staring at the bar on the goal screen then frantically searching small plots when it ticks up and hoping your automated upgrade bot doesn't upgrade the building before you can tag it as historical

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Having sunk a few days into testing the gameplay loop, I would agree with the posters asking for more customization. One thing I wish I could do, that I haven't seen recommended yet, is watch more than 1 ad in a row to "bank" double time. So if I am watching a TV show or something I can spend the first 2 minutes watching ads, then have an hour of time that I can play uninterrupted. You get the same ad-watch revenue, but it makes it more convenient for me to dictate when my gameplay interruptions come. AdVenture Capitalist allows you to bank up to 24 hours of doubler time by watching ads in a row.

Additionally, an upgrade that collects car / plane / boat bonuses (If this doesn't already exist down the tiers) would be appreciated. I've only gotten to tier 6, but already there are more cars than I can reasonable keep up with while still upgrading my buildings.

The photo mode is amazing, and I can't wait to dictate what zoning goes where so I can build cities the way I want and take shots. I wish there were an option to hide the coins/bux icons when taking a photo, however, as they ruin the aesthetic of the image a bit.

Great work on this game!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Build 10,000 buildings are you actually serious :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Build 10,000 buildings are you actually serious :stare:

Yeah, that sparked my feature request in this thread for showing the progress so far in actual numbers. I mistakenly said I was working towards 1,000 buildings, and then did a double take a few minutes after I posted. Goddamn.

Also, only 150 bit bucks?

:negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hah I just got that goal today. Would be an easier pill to swallow if the reward wasn't only 150 bucks.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The closest thing to it is the goals of things like "have 6 pizza joints" and those feel more tedious then anything especially when you're in one of the larger cities since usually it boils down to just staring at the bar on the goal screen then frantically searching small plots when it ticks up and hoping your automated upgrade bot doesn't upgrade the building before you can tag it as historical

Or maybe some kind of visual on the plots that match the current quest? A glow or a little arrow or something. Getting 6 pizza places is time consuming enough, having to also scour your city for the buildings is a pain.

So far I really like the game, good work nimbledudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Dali Parton posted:

Hah I just got that goal today. Would be an easier pill to swallow if the reward wasn't only 150 bucks.

It's not as bad as it reads. "Build" includes each time you upgrade.

• Locked thread