Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

The misses says she's overworked and too exhausted to take another step, but when she gets angry and wants to dish out a little domestic abuse-oh boy! They'll do it every time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

I'll be honest - I enjoy a good opera recording as much as the next fellow, but I can't imagine blowing myself to one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was a popular pastime before rib cages were invented in 1953.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I like this kid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn
If you want a giant flip-phone and a computer that beeps all the time, you can have them though. And if you don't want those things you don't have to have them. The future's actually pretty great.

Pyroclastic posted:

Anyone happen to have an archive of the Minimum Security edits from...gently caress, a decade ago?
All I have is this one I did:

Iris is what, 50? 55? Definitely not 90, which is about how old she'd have to be for that to be a reference from her own youth, so if this is an attempt to show the age gap and how they don't belong together it's a terrible one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they were trying, this could be the attempt to prove to herself that she's too old for him so she doesn't feel so bad for breaking it off. Then she could mope back to wait around for sandwiches mctimebender and be all sad and tell Mary about how seeing Dawn all gotho and miffed just made it so obvious how he was too young for her.

Then Mary could maybe do some meddling worth talking about.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

Whenever a comic strip shits on art critics it makes me think they have a chip on their shoulder. The Evanses have indulged in a lot of it as well.

edit: full disclosure I consume almost no formal art criticism

They probably do. I'm biased, but I can't think of another career path that simultaneously involves putting yourself out there in an extremely personal way while also being the focus of very pointed, sometimes brutal, criticism from both your teachers and peers, than any of the various Arts. And when I say "brutal", I mean things like "I don't think this is working at all, you should just start over with a fresh idea" (after spending a month on a project), or "your subject matter lacks depth" (said subject matter being something you're passionate about). When you feel like you're struggling to "get it", and a professional gets praised for placing a spotlight on an inner tube, it's hard NOT to get a bit jaded about the whole thing. Especially so when you meet or work with a professional and are straight up advised that schmoozing is part of being recognized.

Not that I really want to defend the Evanses at all, but just give some anecdotal insight. Everyone I have ever known who went to school for some kind of creative field has "that guy": someone who refuses to listen to their critiques, who insists that's just their style or how the teacher just hates them. They always vanish before Junior year and I used to wonder what happens to them. Now I know: they become cartoonists.

(Sorry if that got wordy; Luann has become my favorite hate-read because it's like this delusional fantasy version of my own experiences of college)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know that there isn't a plugin to block Brooke's comic but I'd appreciate it if one were invented.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is in a hurry here.

Working Daze is back, and with three days lead time this is the best they could come up with.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is in a world of it's own.

Oh, and Working Daze is trying to make Roy's twitter a thing. This is the reason the comic didn't do anything over the weekend:
https://twitter.com/WorkingDaze_Roy/status/822820796787785728

That's not ironic, it's just unfortunate!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Depression strikes on Ballard Street.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's not ironic, it's just unfortunate!

I'd contend it's not unfortunate, either.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Iris is what, 50? 55?
I have been thinking about this too much and have worked out the following in my head:

I don't think she's over 50 yet. I think she's more mid- to late-40s. Tommy is 25 (as is Zak). I think she had him young though, which is part of why she's going back to school now, so I would put that happening sometime around 20. It is possible she was younger than 20, but certainly she wouldn't have been under 18 in the Worthiverse. So, ~43/44 at the absolute minimum (and unlikely), and let's say 48 at the oldest.

That's my theory.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Johnny Walker posted:

That's my theory.

I've also been thinking about this and I've settled on 45.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
:fuckoff: dana.

Lazily copy/pasting already lazy art in an "homage" to C&H in her C&H wannabe strip. What a joke.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chin posted:

Lazily copy/pasting already lazy art in an "homage" to C&H in her C&H wannabe strip. What a joke.

That seems like an exceptionally strong reaction to a pretty inoffensive comic.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Slammy posted:

Tweedy (September, 1955, click for big)

Ok I give up, what am I missing?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^I'm thinking the big bucket looking thing is some sort of trashcan liner, and he's just dumping his garbage straight into the can, which will presumably be more difficult to empty/clean later? I'm wondering if disposable garbage bags weren't a big thing in 1955.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

He recovered quickly.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 24, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Andorra posted:

Ok I give up, what am I missing?

I think it's one of those bins that has an inner bucket and an outer "shell", so you can easily take out the bucket to empty/clean it, and he's just realised he's dumped food scraps straight into the shell because the bucket's been taken out and not replaced.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Chin posted:

You really should be more angry with Jef Mallett, who somehow gets paid to draw Calvins in different wigs

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Nov. 22, 1994)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Sharing this Inspector Danger because this is the most WTF solution ever

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's very troubling that I figured it out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The idea of using a suicide note from a previous failed attempt to stage a fake one is fascinating to me.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

WickedHate posted:

The idea of using a suicide note from a previous failed attempt to stage a fake one is fascinating to me.

I saw this trick in an actual detective series recently, so this one was pretty easy.

Also any time it's handedness the answer tends to be pretty obvious.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

EasyEW posted:

The most amusing part of these Crankshaft crossovers is how the FW characters very pointedly never refer to him by name even though everybody in the main cast has had extensive interactions with him. But they either can't say the name or don't remember it. Y'know, the way self-involved assholes do.

Or maybe they're afraid of a Bloody Mary situation, and saying "Ed Crankshaft" out loud is all it'll take for him to rise out of his retirement home bed to give them cancer. Or at least an ulcer.

Hail to the Bus Driver. Bus Driver Man.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

See, Rhodes does win a case occasionally!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I hate this. I hate everything about this. Thanks for posting it.

goatface posted:

If they were trying, this could be the attempt to prove to herself that she's too old for him so she doesn't feel so bad for breaking it off. Then she could mope back to wait around for sandwiches mctimebender and be all sad and tell Mary about how seeing Dawn all gotho and miffed just made it so obvious how he was too young for her.
Then Mary could maybe do some meddling worth talking about.
Sadly I think this will be the case.

Tiggum posted:

I think it's one of those bins that has an inner bucket and an outer "shell", so you can easily take out the bucket to empty/clean it, and he's just realised he's dumped food scraps straight into the shell because the bucket's been taken out and not replaced.
Thanks for this. I thought it may be a garbage vs. compost thing, but that's way too modern.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (January, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs (March, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (September, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2009, click for big)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

(it's a colored version of his earlier drawing that was titled "Scary movie")

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
And Mr. Tweedy Did

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I was sick with the flu yesterday, so here's the double-up on these comics.

Baldo

Sooo... Gracie doesn't have a middle name?
And since this strip doesn't tell us what Chita Rivera actually does and thinks the name thing is more important, she is a musical theater actress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chita_Rivera

Big Nate

Wizard of Id

Curtis decides we need to spend more time with the worst character in Curtis:

Wallace The Brave, as a palate cleanser, introduces us to a new use for Spud's big dumb bucket head:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 24, 2017

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Nenonen posted:

And Mr. Tweedy Did

beautiful.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 25, 1951)

Nancy (February 9, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (October 9, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (November 7, 1923)

Lil' Abner (July 6, 1937)

Barney Google (November 8, 1922)

Alley Oop (February 7, 1934)

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Vargo posted:

Baldo

Sooo... Gracie doesn't have a middle name?

A Mexican-American girl I knew didn't have a middle name, so I imagine that isn't too uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Don Wimmer apparently thinks ugly, greedy, badly drawn animals are the funniest possible thing. He's added squirrels, raccoons, and this goose to the strip, and it's the same barely-a-joke every time, and every time I see any of them I actually sincerely wish that the cutesy Gumbo family would get out some shotguns and simply blow them away.

• Locked thread