Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Colorado escalation - has anyone figured out how the stalker functions? What the AI rules are in terms of where he moves to?

there are times where I think he simply homes in on the player, but then he starts walking away again after getting incredibly close to me so I'm a bit confused how he operates

double nine fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
he follows you until his pathfinding breaks and he stops

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Season 2 starts with 47 in a padded cell of an insane asylum.

remake of codename 47/silent assassin? that could be pretty good

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

where the red fern gropes posted:

remake of codename 47/silent assassin? that could be pretty good

But the really good missions were already in Contracts, so we'd be left with pretty much just new versions of the jungle levels, and none of us want that.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Just finished my first run of Colorado.

Followed Graves until she got on her phone in the greenhouse, then popped her through the glass with the Silverballer and ran out of there. Snuck into the basement, killed the goons down there, and then pressed all the buttons down there until Ezra opened the door into a knife :v:. Spent about 20 minutes trying to coin the guards out of Rose's room before I just said "gently caress it" and hurled a proximity mine in there. Actually managed to get the Parvati opportunity with the battering ram out of sheer dumb luck.

So obviously it was super sloppy, and I want to go back and try to do some of the fun stuff I found hints around for. That's a feeling I really only get from this game, and it's kinda remarkable how I can spend like an hour on a stage and right afterwards think "I want to do it again." Basically this game is really cool and I'm excited for Season 2 even though I'm not done with the first.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Just finished my first run of Colorado.

Colorado is kind of a shitshow the first time with the tension of being outside and needing a way into the highly hostile zone. Once you get a disguise and are in, though, ohhhh the possibilities unfold. As you might expect from an insane paramilitary compound of radical nutjobs, there is a ton of incidental dialog I find fascinating. Also a TON of options for murder and mayhem. Just in the Spec Ops barn alone there are so many delicious ways to kill at least two targets, and I suppose you could snipe the other two from there.

The water tower is better for sniping though.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bogart posted:

also someone on Ps4 let's trade contracts so I can get this stupid Top Of The Class trophy.

You can do this yourself pretty easily, it counts even if you get the world record on your own contract.

Make an easy one, publish it, do it once really badly with bodies found & camera evidence, then do it again the right way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Initially in Colorado I was annoyed that there are so many targets but now I like that because there are so many and they all have their own things to do it makes the map so much more dense with potential assassination content. On other maps you would have to lead a target way off course if you wanted to get them to a certain part of the map but you're never too far from a kill in Colorado.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally got 10 escalations and unlocked that machine gun I'll probably never use. The only time I've used the unlocked machine guns and shotguns so far is during escalations that require them. As annoying as escalations can be sometimes, they're definitely the real challenge in this game. You get to learn all the ins and outs, weapon placements, etc. very quickly. Plus it's fun just stumbling your way to victory on that fifth level, even if you had to kill scores of people to do it. They gave me some new appreciation for the level design, for sure.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Hobo Clown posted:

You can do this yourself pretty easily, it counts even if you get the world record on your own contract.

Make an easy one, publish it, do it once really badly with bodies found & camera evidence, then do it again the right way.
I made a contract to knock out two of the challenges for Himmapan Horror (drown and push all day errday) and happen to have the highest score on it - noticed some other people have played it. Don't think I got the trophy though :(

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Crappy Jack posted:

But the really good missions were already in Contracts, so we'd be left with pretty much just new versions of the jungle levels, and none of us want that.

We kinda already have that with the cuban air base training mission. Certainly gave me the vibe.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Finally got 10 escalations and unlocked that machine gun I'll probably never use. The only time I've used the unlocked machine guns and shotguns so far is during escalations that require them. As annoying as escalations can be sometimes, they're definitely the real challenge in this game. You get to learn all the ins and outs, weapon placements, etc. very quickly. Plus it's fun just stumbling your way to victory on that fifth level, even if you had to kill scores of people to do it. They gave me some new appreciation for the level design, for sure.

Yeah, the escalations are good, even if some contain seriously unfun things like tripwire mines and such.

I'd recommend going ham on a level sometimes with a silenced shotgun or assault rifle, it's very liberating to just get a security guard disguise, walk up to the target, and start murdering fools.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, the escalations are good, even if some contain seriously unfun things like tripwire mines and such.

I'd recommend going ham on a level sometimes with a silenced shotgun or assault rifle, it's very liberating to just get a security guard disguise, walk up to the target, and start murdering fools.

i don't know why i never thought of doing that. do the weapons have enough ammo?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

where the red fern gropes posted:

i don't know why i never thought of doing that. do the weapons have enough ammo?

On their own, no. But on most maps, there should be enough shotguns and extra ammo lying around to fill you up, and all of them definitely have enough AR ammo to go around.

The only weapons you can't resupply by picking up NPC weapons are the sniper rifles.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tippis posted:

The only weapons you can't resupply by picking up NPC weapons are the sniper rifles.

This may not sound like a good thing but imagine a level with npc snipers on the lookout. I'd rather not play that again.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's an elusive target up, in paris by the looks of it.

Given that I've never done one of these, other than the "you get one shot at this", is there anything about elusive targets that differs from regular targets?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

They aren't marked on the map or when using instinct. That's the only other special thing about them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

double nine posted:

Given that I've never done one of these, other than the "you get one shot at this", is there anything about elusive targets that differs from regular targets?

You can retry the mission infinitely from the menu until you complete an objective. So pre-plan your escape, and don't kill the target until you're ready to commit.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug

double nine posted:

Not that I can think of - increased security is the main problem. Some of the NPCs will have different patterns too, most likely.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
For anyone interested in speedruns of this game, I made a short video breaking down the current world record for Showstopper:
https://youtu.be/W3BJibwP3ts

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Finally got my first SOSA on Paris, though Paris pretty easy once you memorize where everything is.

double nine posted:

There's usually a gimmick that makes them difficult to eliminate the way you expected. For example, one Elusive Target was a food critic who doesn't actually eat the food he's reviewing, so poisoning him is out of the question.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

double nine posted:

It starts the 27th.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hope this one has a condition that you must assassinate the target dressed as Helmut Krueger.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The trick is everyone on the map is also disguised as Helmut Kruger.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

These sound crew guys are a bunch of lazy stoners. Look at `em all, just lying about.

Man, all you guys, too? What is with this hotel? Is there something in the air? Other than the pesticide I gassed people with, I mean.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I hope this one has a condition that you must assassinate the target dressed as Helmut Krueger.

Is the target the prime minister of Malaysia?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

You don't stay an international fashion icon without icing a few rivals.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mzbundifund posted:

The trick is everyone on the map is also disguised as Helmut Kruger.

Complication: Cosplay Convention.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

poptart_fairy posted:

Complication: Cosplay Convention.

This would legit make for an awesome Hitman level

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My goodness. Assassinating somebody at Comic-Con. That would be really incredible.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm trying to make due without full waypoints turned on for Opportunities, but there's times I have no idea where the breadcrumb I should be finding is. Example: in Sapienza, I have no idea how I would get a target under the church bell, near the wishing well, where the detective and psychologist are (also two gators but I assume that's down to searching). I've completed most other challenges, and have 20/20 mastery, but still plan to try these. Without too heavy of a spoiler, is there anything dumb I'm missing, or is it just a case of having to listen to conversations better and making my way through NPCs until I determine which one is the detective and which is the psych? Most of the Opportunities in Paris (and it looks like Morocco too) are fairly well laid out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Atoramos posted:

I'm trying to make due without full waypoints turned on for Opportunities, but there's times I have no idea where the breadcrumb I should be finding is. Example: in Sapienza, I have no idea how I would get a target under the church bell, near the wishing well, where the detective and psychologist are (also two gators but I assume that's down to searching). I've completed most other challenges, and have 20/20 mastery, but still plan to try these. Without too heavy of a spoiler, is there anything dumb I'm missing, or is it just a case of having to listen to conversations better and making my way through NPCs until I determine which one is the detective and which is the psych? Most of the Opportunities in Paris (and it looks like Morocco too) are fairly well laid out.

Most of the hazards you can set up are designed for custom contracts and escalations.

The detective breadcrumb is in the salon, you can find him sleeping on a nearby bench.

I forgot where the Psychologist breadcrumb is, but he can be found in the gelato shop.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Atoramos posted:

Both of them can be found by looking carefully for unique characters and going from there. As for the church bell/wishing well thing, do note that some challenges aren't meant to be completed in main missions but in contracts.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Most of the hazards you can set up are designed for custom contracts and escalations.

The detective breadcrumb is in the salon, you can find him sleeping on a nearby bench.

Huh. I had suspected that was him, but assassinated him and didn't get the chance to disguise as him. Guess I need to try again. Also I hadn't considered that 'targets' included escalations and contracts. Two questions: Are there any rewards for contracts/escalations? And do challenges which require [5] Targets Killed by Accident mean 5 different, unique targets across contracts, the mission, and escalations?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Atoramos posted:

You're not dumb for missing anything when it comes to the detective or psychiatrist. Finding them is a matter of exploring and listening to dialogue so you might not have come across the NPCs that will lead you to the right spot.

For the detective, you can either hear where he is from another NPC in the vicinity or there's a radio that you can interact with that if you decide to turn on out of curiosity will trigger the detective's loop and dialogue.

Also, there's a difference between Opportunities, which are ways to get targets alone for you to kill them, and the various Assassination/Discovery/Feats challenges. The psychiatrist and detective are Opportunities, but killing a target with the church bell for instance, is not. Whenever it says "a target" instead of the actual name of the main mission targets, that can be a clue that it's really meant for contracts and not the main missions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Atoramos posted:

Are there any rewards for contracts/escalations? And do challenges which require [5] Targets Killed by Accident mean 5 different, unique targets across contracts, the mission, and escalations?

There's a silenced SMG which is unlocked for beating 10 total escalations.

Yes, the 5 targets must be unique. You need to spread out into escalations and contracts to achieve those challenges.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm digging these new featured contracts, there's some good ones in there.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

How often do the featured contracts cycle? I seem to remember seeing "Wrong Tool To Cut" on the frontpage for weeks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My goodness. Assassinating somebody at Comic-Con. That would be really incredible.

You could have a wearable The Icon outfit (non bulletproof), reuse the Vampire and Ninja outfits, references to other games by the devs (such K&L) etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Atoramos posted:

...in Sapienza, I have no idea how I would get a target under the church bell, near the wishing well...

You can do what I did: kill everyone and drag the main targets' unconscious bodies across the map.