Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
jay peaked when he made the miami bass song about liking butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

dangerdoom volvo posted:

jay peaked when he made the miami bass song about liking boobs

ftfy

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Improbable Lobster posted:

They weren't made about virtue signalling because it's a fake idea made up by neo-nazis.

They totes were. I agree it's dumb and neo-nazis have raised it to a way of life, so gently caress it regardless

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

tags: progressive hip hop

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They totes were. I agree it's dumb and neo-nazis have raised it to a way of life, so gently caress it regardless

No, they weren't. Virtue Signalling isn't a real phenomena. It's a completely made up thing. It doesn't describe something that is real. It's a fake idea used to try to discredit and silence people raising issues. It isn't a thing that people who are real and alive do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No, they weren't. Virtue Signalling isn't a real phenomena. It's a completely made up thing. It doesn't describe something that is real. It's a fake idea used to try to discredit and silence people raising issues. It isn't a thing that people who are real and alive do.

virtue signaling is a thing dude, but before nazis stole it it was about stuff like that joke about someone only donating to NPR to get the tote bag with NPR on it or something, the people who only support a cause to be seen supporting a cause and don't care about the actual ideals and poo poo.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Uhh... Have you ever been around human beings? Think about the celebrities who bought Priuses to project an environmentally conscious image. Neo-nazis also have used hyperbolic bullshit in the past, you really should be better than that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

virtue signaling is a thing dude, but before nazis stole it it was about stuff like that joke about someone only donating to NPR to get the tote bag with NPR on it or something, the people who only support a cause to be seen supporting a cause and don't care about the actual ideals and poo poo.

No it isn't, because it was literally invented by neo-nazis. The term virtua signaling is literally something that neo-nazis invented.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

No it isn't, because it was literally invented by neo-nazis. The term virtua signaling is literally something that neo-nazis invented.

It's gained prominence through LessWrong shits, but you don't need to wonder where the term came from. Do you not know what the words 'virtue' or 'signaling' mean? The guy who invented firefighting was a horrible rear end in a top hat who used it as a way to profit off of disasters, but should we let houses burn down?

This is almost literally a 'Hitler was a vegetarian' argument.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it was loving LessWrong just taking a really simple jump from general signalling theory to say that people like to be acknowledged as Good People in the least controversial statement ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's not a real thing because if you're at the point where you have to criticise the imagined motivations for a person's actions rather than the actions themselves then you've already lost. It's like an even more insufferable version of accusing other people of being philosophical zombies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'm not a huge James Bartholomew fan, or a fan at all, but calling him a nazi is a bit harsh.

Guy Mann posted:

It's not a real thing because if you're at the point where you have to criticise the imagined motivations for a person's actions rather than the actions themselves then you've already lost. It's like an even more insufferable version of accusing other people of being philosophical zombies.

Oh in an actual debate it amounts to an ad hominem accusation of bad faith, it should definitely be frowned upon in any kind of rational discourse where it's a good idea to have a basic level of charity and assume your interlocutor is at least arguing in good faith, which is what I think a lot of the knee-jerk anger at the term comes from. When any left-wing sentiment at all is seen as "virtue signalling" it makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Virtue Signaling is such a goony way of calling someone a hipster. Or saying that someone is posturing.

Though I will say they can be kinda overly smug, but even then you can see examples of how to deal with it like an adult from the podcast itself. Like at one point (Jay?) was smugly talking about rush album rankings and then (possibly) Chris was like 'Actually I like (Rush album here)' and then they both just laugh and move on.

And even then, it's a podcast about reading bad books on purpose, of course you're gonna put a toe over the smug line now and then, it kinda goes with the territory.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 20, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

Consider this w/r/t "Virtue Signalling"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm not a huge James Bartholomew fan, or a fan at all, but calling him a nazi is a bit harsh.

Oh in an actual debate it amounts to an ad hominem accusation of bad faith, it should definitely be frowned upon in any kind of rational discourse where it's a good idea to have a basic level of charity and assume your interlocutor is at least arguing in good faith, which is what I think a lot of the knee-jerk anger at the term comes from. When any left-wing sentiment at all is seen as "virtue signalling" it makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

Yes, I agree that it's a worthless term invented whole-cloth by a hate-mongering tabloid.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yes, I agree that it's a worthless term invented whole-cloth by a hate-mongering tabloid.

Time to go back to calling it slacktivism then

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Forums hosed up

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamnit I thought a new episode was up. Instead it's just goony assholes arguing about a thing.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The best part is the original guy didn't even say 'virtue signaling' so this whole argument about the term is totally pointless.

Everyone just secretly wants to argue about the term more than talk about anything related to the podcast.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The best part is the original guy didn't even say 'virtue signaling' so this whole argument about the term is totally pointless.

Everyone just secretly wants to argue about the term more than talk about anything related to the podcast.

Some people just really want to show off about how much they hate Nazis. It's like they want to make a signal of their virtuousness or something :v:

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Some people just really want to show off about how much they hate Nazis. It's like they want to make a signal of their virtuousness or something :v:

You really wanna keep bringing it back to the alt right notion of virtue signaling which this thread isn't about. It's about a podcast, if you want to talk about the podcast or like, whether or not they are smug sometimes thats fine, but I'm really not up for getting dragged into a weird word game about a phrase I don't use or give any credit to.

I mean unless you specifically have an issue with something I've said, in which case feel free to point that out to me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"Virtue Signaling" as a term was invented to describe an actual phenomenon, but Nazis co-opted it to mean "caring about things at all" so I guess it's just easier to go back to what it used to be called, "being a pretentious dickhead".

That's not what Collision was doing, though. That's just called being unfunny.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when the gently caress is Sega gonna bring back Virtua Signalling goddamnit, Virtua Signalling 5 Final Showdown was good but it's been too long!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You really wanna keep bringing it back to the alt right notion of virtue signaling which this thread isn't about. It's about a podcast, if you want to talk about the podcast or like, whether or not they are smug sometimes thats fine, but I'm really not up for getting dragged into a weird word game about a phrase I don't use or give any credit to.

I mean unless you specifically have an issue with something I've said, in which case feel free to point that out to me.

Jesus loving Christ I was making a goddamned joke about how much more y'all posted about this stupid derail than y'all post about actual IDEOTV episodes. I even threw in the traditional "I'm making a very obvious joke post" emote.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesus loving Christ I was making a goddamned joke about how much more y'all posted about this stupid derail than y'all post about actual IDEOTV episodes. I even threw in the traditional "I'm making a very obvious joke post" emote.

I hope you learned your lesson. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I hope you learned your lesson. :colbert:

Goons are generally too stupid to understand jokes, myself included. Yeah, I learned that a long time ago but it just doesn't sink in for some reason.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Alaois posted:

when the gently caress is Sega gonna bring back Virtua Signalling goddamnit, Virtua Signalling 5 Final Showdown was good but it's been too long!

literally the only good post made in the thread in the last page or so

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I prefer Semaphor Calibur V for its eight-directional signalling system

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Djeser posted:

I prefer Semaphor Calibur V for its eight-directional signalling system

I was legitimately playing a semaphore game Nintendo created last night:

Looking forward to the new game for the Switch!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I was legitimately playing a semaphore game Nintendo created last night:

Looking forward to the new game for the Switch!

The wiimote game we never knew we wanted

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
a) I'm pretty sure a few Mario Partys did some semaphore stuff
b) The new episode is Timeline and as the lone book I brought on a trans-continental flight I've hated it for years.

I finished it three loving times on that plane.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Woof, that Timeline ep was a miss. I really don't like their recent trend of picking more well-known books that aren't really outrageous enough to be entertaining to just describe and dissect on their own and then also forgetting to make jokes and just taking potshots at the author and readers instead.

Like, I know that Michael Crichton was a hack with some weird hang-ups but pointing that out over and over isn't really entertaining or why I started listening to this podcast, no matter how many :iceburn:s about nerds they drop while doing it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Woof, that Timeline ep was a miss. I really don't like their recent trend of picking more well-known books that aren't really outrageous enough to be entertaining to just describe and dissect on their own and then also forgetting to make jokes and just taking potshots at the author and readers instead.

Like, I know that Michael Crichton was a hack with some weird hang-ups but pointing that out over and over isn't really entertaining or why I started listening to this podcast, no matter how many :iceburn:s about nerds they drop while doing it.

I thought you started listening to this podcast because you were running out of things to complain endlessly about on this website.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Guy Mann posted:

could you please never post again

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Mann posted:

Woof, that Timeline ep was a miss. I really don't like their recent trend of picking more well-known books that aren't really outrageous enough to be entertaining

I thought it was a pretty good episode, and Timeline is definitely a bad enough book to make fun of.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I will chime in and say I prefer when it's not just pot shots at airport fiction. I like the weird poo poo I've never heard of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I will chime in and say I prefer when it's not just pot shots at airport fiction. I like the weird poo poo I've never heard of.

I like both. The mass market hits that are terrible balance nicely with the horrifying trainwrecks.

Also, they read my letter! :dance:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Drunkboxer posted:

Hey man, I will not have you taking trash about Airport.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
My quest will not end until they do an exposé on the Yummy Mummy.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They need Mobute on again, he always brings the best weird poo poo.