Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Chemmy posted:

Looks rectangular to me.

I thought he did a sous vide Spam loaf at first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

I'm getting pretty frustrated using the Anova app, is there any way to set the timer just using the base unit?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

unl33t posted:

I'm getting pretty frustrated using the Anova app, is there any way to set the timer just using the base unit?

2nd this. The app is garbage.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Why the poo poo would you need a timer when doing sous vide? :psyduck:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Why the poo poo would you need a timer when doing sous vide? :psyduck:

Right? When I make short ribs, I just mark on the calendar what day they went in.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I smoke to much weed to not cook with timers.

And yeah the Anova app is hot garbage.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My ribeye came out perfect - 137 degrees for 60 minutes, finished in cast iron.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What happens when the timer goes off? Temp starts to decrease for a lazy ride through the danger zone?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

unl33t posted:

Isn't there a little clock icon on the interface to the right of the set temp? Not sure about the wifi model, but on my BT one you can press and hold that icon to set the timer.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So if I wanted to eat a (food) and just got home do I have enough time to cook (food) and sides. When should I start the side given the time I have left. It's just for time management for the most part.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Isn't there a little clock icon on the interface to the right of the set temp? Not sure about the wifi model, but on my BT one you can press and hold that icon to set the timer.

Thanks, I tried doing that but I'm guessing I wasn't holding the timer icon long enough-I'll give it another shot.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sterster posted:

So if I wanted to eat a (food) and just got home do I have enough time to cook (food) and sides. When should I start the side given the time I have left. It's just for time management for the most part.

That really depends on what you're cooking. Pork chops? A steak? Chicken breast? Sure, those will take an hour to finish while you make your sides and have a glass of wine or something. All you need to do is sear the meat after it's done to give it a crust and some color. Or not, if you don't feel like it, though presentation will suffer.

Bigger pieces of meat and tougher cuts that take longer due to more connective tissue, not so much. Those are potentially multi-day cooks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sterster posted:

That sounds like a neat app, but how would it work if you were starting it from the unit?

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm a firm believer that SV will not produce real bbq results. it doesn't matter how much you gently caress with it it's not going to be as good as real BBQ.

I agree. You can get great flavors and textures but it is very different than what you think of as "real BBQ"™.
A place opened near Cleveland called Ribstcks that does sous vide BBQ, and while a lot of it tastes good it is certainly not what most people would call BBQ. They sous vide, smoke (debatable based on my experience and other reviews) and hold, then grill to order. I feel that fire/smoke is the biggest factor in claiming something is BBQ, and this place misses the mark trying to replicate that. My few attempts at sous vide BBQ also were disappointing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

sterster posted:

You don't, because you can't overcook (food) and just work on your sides until they are ready and you finish (food) with a sear?

Unless you're really terrible at planning and you put in (food) earlier/longer than it should, but a timer isn't going to fix that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can most definitely overcook food sous vide.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Leave it to goons to nitpick something like this.

Of course you can overcook sous vide, on a scale of hours, not minutes. If you are actually close enough to that threshold that the 10-30 minutes it takes to prepare some sides would make a difference, then it's already almost overcooked and it's not a timer that's going to make a difference.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Going from 60 to 90 mins on a piece of salmon is definitely noticeable. Source: me, right after I let it sit while I finished the sides.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've definitely left fish in longer than I wanted doing sides and not paying attention.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And it's not nitpicky to point it out when that's probably the biggest misconception about sous vide cooking.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eggs are by the minute.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I just like timers

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

You don't, because you can't overcook (food) and just work on your sides until they are ready and you finish (food) with a sear?

Unless you're really terrible at planning and you put in (food) earlier/longer than it should, but a timer isn't going to fix that.

I'm not worried about over cooking things. It's more about making sure that I fully cook them. I generally get home only 1-2 hours before the wife and if I want to make sure that everything is cooked and on a plate within a thin time frame I want to make sure it's fully cooked and the timer can help me manage this
'oh i've got 20 min left for this to finish. I should start the mashed potatoes so they will be done & hot after I sear/grill those steaks.'

Cooking something bigger tenderloin/roast or what ever I'm less worried about the timing as I'm going to be starting it early in the morning or day before hand and can just pull it out when I'm ready for it.

Does that help explain?

Subjunctive posted:

That sounds like a neat app, but how would it work if you were starting it from the unit?

I don't understand. There isn't an app. It's just something I'm keep of track mentally and by timing the cook time of my protein can gauge when I need to start other things so all the side and everything is done at the same time for plating.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You know what's disgusting sv'd? Sockeye salmon. Ugh a garbage fish if there ever was.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any recipes that might make for a good shareable appetizer for a Super Bowl party? Thinking about doing something that could go on top of a bruschetta or something like that. Trying to find something that you could eat pretty easily by hand or toothpick.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

genderfluid and beautiful posted:

Unless there's a requirement for "smoke", like in a barbecue, brisket is a perfect cut of meat for SV because it requires very low, very consistent temperature to break everything down. There's a ton of brisket preparations that don't involve smoke and several that require low, slow braising in liquid.

I made this recipe a while back and it was amazing - and it's what I'm considering trying SV next:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/braised-brisket-with-bourbon-peach-glaze

Didn't SV it but did make this after you mentioned it and it was indeed, amazing.

Should SV even be considered though? When you're braising meats in a pool of broth and stuff?

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 24, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sterster posted:

I don't understand. There isn't an app. It's just something I'm keep of track mentally and by timing the cook time of my protein can gauge when I need to start other things so all the side and everything is done at the same time for plating.

I was asking about the timer that OP wanted to use through the device rather than the app. I assumed you were also talking about the app/device timer.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I was asking about the timer that OP wanted to use through the device rather than the app. I assumed you were also talking about the app/device timer.

Oh, yeah on the device there is a timer. The Anovo wants you to find recipes via their app. Then click 'cook recipe.' This sets your time and temp. Once it reaches temp it ask you to add your food and click okay. Once you do that the timer start. We just want to set the time wait for it to get there and then set the timer on the device. Which apparently you can do if you hold down the timer button.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

rockcity posted:

Anyone have any recipes that might make for a good shareable appetizer for a Super Bowl party? Thinking about doing something that could go on top of a bruschetta or something like that. Trying to find something that you could eat pretty easily by hand or toothpick.

Real mozzarella slices. Also you might have meant to post that here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3437762&perpage=40

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sterster posted:

Oh, yeah on the device there is a timer. The Anovo wants you to find recipes via their app. Then click 'cook recipe.' This sets your time and temp. Once it reaches temp it ask you to add your food and click okay. Once you do that the timer start. We just want to set the time wait for it to get there and then set the timer on the device. Which apparently you can do if you hold down the timer button.

And the timer on the device is just a normal timer, like on a microwave or a phone or whatever? Or does the device react in some way when the timer expires?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

hogmartin posted:

Real mozzarella slices. Also you might have meant to post that here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3437762&perpage=40

Nope. I was specifically looking for something sous vide. I did pork belly bites for a party in December but wanted to come up with something different this time.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

rockcity posted:

Nope. I was specifically looking for something sous vide. I did pork belly bites for a party in December but wanted to come up with something different this time.

Oops.

Sous-vide italian sausage slices maybe? To go along with the bruschetta theme.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

hogmartin posted:

Oops.

Sous-vide italian sausage slices maybe? To go along with the bruschetta theme.

That could be good. The bruschetta was just sort of a vessel idea, not really something it needs to be. I haven't done sausage with it yet though so that's not a bad idea.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

And the timer on the device is just a normal timer, like on a microwave or a phone or whatever? Or does the device react in some way when the timer expires?

Nope nothing special. Once you click okay on the phone app the timer will start counting down. Then when time is up your drat thing will beep at you relentlessly till you address it. Nothing special. Temp doesn't change.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some petite open-faced steak sandwiches could be nice. Get some flank or chuck, sous vide, and top with some caramelized onions and a little balsamic vinegar. Being able to make it really tender while still medium-rare would be particularly nice when you're trying to make something that can practically be eaten in a couple of bites.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Eggs are by the minute.

Eggs are probably the most finicky things in terms of cooking since it's by the minute and also super sensitive to temperature. Planning to do carnitas this weekend and hoping to find decent tortillas. I'm also planning to do some weird combination and use it for banh mi which seems like it might be decent.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

rockcity posted:

It's not all SV, but I did wings the last two years and they come out amazing. Puddle 'em, dry them overnight, fry hot to crisp the skin and warm the insides a bit, sauce.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Boosh! posted:

Didn't SV it but did make this after you mentioned it and it was indeed, amazing.

Should SV even be considered though? When you're braising meats in a pool of broth and stuff?

I'm glad it worked for you/you liked it - and SV would just add a level of precision, plus keep the liquid on the meat better. It might be only an incremental improvement but it's worth a shot, for me at least.

When I get around to it. Someday.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

You know what's disgusting sv'd? Sockeye salmon. Ugh a garbage fish if there ever was.

sockeye is great! but I only grill salmon and never SV it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I love salmon, just not sockeye.