Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The diverse design like lines everywhere? Wonder Woman looks great, Batman looks good, but the Flash and Cyborg are just messy and ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

The reds in Cyborg's design remind me of the melt-down Godzilla.

It reminds me of Remake RoboCop, which I should remind people happened a few years ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It reminds me of Remake RoboCop, which I should remind people happened a few years ago.

Dunno if you intend this is a diss or not. Remake Robocop was dope.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno if you intend this is a diss or not. Remake Robocop was dope.

I'm just reminding people RoboCop was remade a few years ago. I apply no judgement to Remake RoboCop.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I only saw the scene where he takes his armor off and sees his body. Is the rest of the movie as good?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

I only saw the scene where he takes his armor off and sees his body. Is the rest of the movie as good?

That's easily the most memorable part of the film, but it's still worth watching for the rest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I think it'll be looked at more kindly in future years. It's a good remake and he made the story his own. He's basically fighting Peter Thiel which I think is great.

Plus the "unboxing" scene is loving terrifying and horrific on so many levels.

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 25, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The scene where he traces from the lowest rung on the criminal ladder to the halls of power in about 15 minutes is amazing. It makes a statement about the interconnected nature of crime and criminality almost as effective as that of the Wire, and makes you realise that while Robocop is scary as a gunfighter, he's terrifying as a detective. For everyone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's how Judgement Day should happen. Not with a worldwide nuclear strike, but with Skynet putting everyone under arrest after seeing how they are all connected to crime.

Cyborg should be thankful he has more human parts than Robocop 2014.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The scene where he traces from the lowest rung on the criminal ladder to the halls of power in about 15 minutes is amazing. It makes a statement about the interconnected nature of crime and criminality almost as effective as that of the Wire, and makes you realise that while Robocop is scary as a gunfighter, he's terrifying as a detective. For everyone.

Yeah that was a great scene because of how terrified they were of him being able to do that.

I love how they kept the hand but it's just totally superfluous and callous a design decision as in the first movie where they remove it. The only reason he has a hand is FOCUS GROUP.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I think it'll be looked at more kindly in future years. It's a good remake and he made the story his own. He's basically fighting Peter Thiel which I think is great.

Yeah, it ain't Robocop, but honestly it's one of those remakes that honestly tries to do more than ape what came before it while following the right lines that make it a spiritual successor. No one Verhoeven's like Verhoeven but I certainly didn't hate RoboCop 2014.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah apparently though it was a soul crushing experience for José Padilha

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that was a great scene because of how terrified they were of him being able to do that.

I love how they kept the hand but it's just totally superfluous and callous a design decision as in the first movie where they remove it. The only reason he has a hand is FOCUS GROUP.

It ties in well with Padihla's other films, the two 'Elite Squad' movies, which everyone should watch if only for the kickin rad soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHq14NWcMOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJ2AZxIOiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PqvzSwU9s

But they also take a great look at the interconnected nature of crime and the long term failure of militarising the cops. BOPE, which is Brazil's elite anti-drug cops (and they are elite) are the ultimate killing machines, fiercely loyal, highly trained and fanatically devoted, yet the inequality that creates the problem remains, and so no matter how hardcore and elite they are, their need will never go away.

It's fitting that both Robocop movies are views of the American warrior/cop ideal through foreign eyes. However, while Verhoven fetishises it, creating robo-jesus, Padihla makes him terrifying. The night vision gunfight is one of the coolest and most originally staged action scenes of the last few years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

His hand was a great touch. I've only seen it once, but someone in the thread back then pointed out that he only stuns with his human hand and kills with his robot hand. Then at the end, he kills Michael Keaton with his human hand.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch the remake twice. Separate the two times by how much you love the original. I wasn't too impressed with it until I saw it again. Outside of a very small amount of lame references, it stands on its own.

The villains are kinda lame though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Those costumes there look real good.

There seems to be some sort of lava flow happening between Wonder Woman and Batman's shadow.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cyborg looks like a Razer gaming mouse.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The reds in Cyborg's design remind me of the melt-down Godzilla.

This is a really good comparison, but there's also elements of Terminator and Transformers. Flash has this going on, too - the design of the suits, despite how bulky 'armored' they are, actually looks very constricted. The red essence in Cyborg's chest actually seems to be pulling his body inward like a collapsing star. This is complemented by the sharp angles and cross-cutting wires of Flash's suit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/creepypuppet/status/824046705209315329

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still don't care much for the remake just because it didn't go far enough with its message and story- the villains are an afterthought if even that, and there is zero reason for the big dumb showdown at the end especially for how it went down. The satire was also a bit limpwristed. It had some good ideas and was definitely not just a clone of the first one, but I can't say I'm crazy about it.

It doesn't help that I much prefer the take on transhumanism from the original compared to what we got with the remake but that's neither here nor there. I think it's a lot cooler to see what is effectively a machine come to life, rather than a person become a machine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Fox is moving forward with that X-Men TV series by Burn Notice's Matt Nix. Unlike Legion, it will tie-in with the X-Men movies.

I love the diversity in material and design here.

I thought Marvel had succeeded in scratching back all the rights to everything except the few movie rights that Sony and Fox had a few years before they were bought by Disney. Does Fox actually have TV/animation rights for the X-Men and FF4? My understanding is that Sony doesn't even have the Spidey rights for anything other than movies outside of Marvel playing nice due to the new partnership.

Edit: On a side note, who was the brilliant negotiator at Universal who got just the distribution rights for stand alone Hulk movies?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gyges posted:

Edit: On a side note, who was the brilliant negotiator at Universal who got just the distribution rights for stand alone Hulk movies?

Universal is dumb as hell because they keep trying to bring back Universal Monsters over and over as a shared cinematic universe (their first modern attempt at reviving this was Van Helsing in 2004, then Wolfman, Dracula Untold, and now this Mummy movie).

Universal could right now put Conan the Barbarian, the Hulk, the Wolfman, Namor the Sub Mariner, Riddick, Jaws, some Fast and the Furious characters (just have Riddick/Toretti never appear on screen at the same time and I don't know like Tyrese or someone random, The Rock can be in the sequel), whatever in one movie. Like just make a simple adventure romp where they all end up on earth in the near future for techno-whatever-reasons and work together to stop Dracula and the Creature from the Black Lagoon from resurrection Thulsa Doom.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Wolfman even has the best excuse of any action hero ever.

He's literally immortal, cannot die ever, and so has dedicated his eternal suffering to taking down horrific monsters like Dracula.

That is literally the plot of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Literally, what is in the text of the film.

How the gently caress you do not bank on that I will never know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Momoa Conan, Diesel Riddick, The Rock whatever his Fast 'n Furious Character's name is, and some other cool beefy dude as Namor would be a pretty sweet action movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Universal is dumb as hell because they keep trying to bring back Universal Monsters over and over as a shared cinematic universe (their first modern attempt at reviving this was Van Helsing in 2004, then Wolfman, Dracula Untold, and now this Mummy movie).

Universal could right now put Conan the Barbarian, the Hulk, the Wolfman, Namor the Sub Mariner, Riddick, Jaws, some Fast and the Furious characters (just have Riddick/Toretti never appear on screen at the same time and I don't know like Tyrese or someone random, The Rock can be in the sequel), whatever in one movie. Like just make a simple adventure romp where they all end up on earth in the near future for techno-whatever-reasons and work together to stop Dracula and the Creature from the Black Lagoon from resurrection Thulsa Doom.
I think I would enjoy a megabudget "colourful commando team" film in the vein of The Eliminators or The Order of the Black Eagle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Eliminators is loving awesome. :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Burkion posted:

That is literally the plot of Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. Literally, what is in the text of the film.

I watched this as a joke when I worked at a video store in the late 90s and was surprised that it is actually pretty darn good. I had no idea that Lugosi's Dracula was in it so that took me completely by surprise. It's been a while but the physical gags and character stuff still work, IIRC.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I watched this as a joke when I worked at a video store in the late 90s and was surprised that it is actually pretty darn good. I had no idea that Lugosi's Dracula was in it so that took me completely by surprise. It's been a while but the physical gags and character stuff still work, IIRC.

It is honest to God a masterpiece of a film.

All of the monster stuff is played dead serious, with Abbot and Costello at the top of their game going full steam.

It's like if some one made a comedy with the Xenomorphs and Predators, only they're still exactly as dangerous as ever.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Plus the "unboxing" scene is loving terrifying and horrific on so many levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k

I don't think I've ever felt the claustrophobic feeling I get when I see this scene from any other movie. I'm not sure what makes it so effective. The fact that it's so clean and clinical that it almost feels like it could happen? The slow reveal as parts are taken away? It's amazing.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Flash's outfit actually looks really cool if you just scroll down far enough so the picture cuts off at the neck. Still, all four of those costumes look great, and if we get Black Superman, there'll be even more sweetness.

Is it stated who the other two Justice League Members are supposed to be? Is it assumed to be Hal and Shazam?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Unsurprisingly, Bryan Singer will direct the pilot of Matt Nix's X-Men series.

In other TV news, Gotham is already doing a Bruce vs Joker episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've never seen anyone hate ketchup so much.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

WB orders a script re-write of The Flash

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gyges posted:

I've never seen anyone hate ketchup so much.

ketchup is a food abomination and an affront to god

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DC Murderverse posted:

My grandma's homemade ketchup is amazing, I'll have you know.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I'll snap your neck so hard people on the internet will complain about it! :mad:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is the person writing this mentally deficient.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

I'll snap your neck so hard people on the internet will complain about it! :mad:

Do you bleed?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think I would like Cyborg's look more if he wasn't as shiny. It looks very CG and reminds me of T-1000's liquid form, whereas something like Iron Man's costume may as well be practical effects all the time for how often I notice or think of the actual post-production that goes into realizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm just reminding people RoboCop was remade a few years ago. I apply no judgement to Remake RoboCop.

But what did you think of Our Robocop Remake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKzSg8ZEzM

"I love you dad, I hope you catch Robocop today."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not just Lugosi's Dracula, but Chaney's Wolfman too, and Vincent Price shows up at the end as the Invisible Man. I love that movie. It's just too bad they couldn't get Karloff to play the monster (though they did make a movie with him later called Abbot and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff).

• Locked thread