Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Would it be possible that's just EIFS?
Seeing the white panels that break off and drift down slowly makes me think of the Styrofoam type panels that comprise a layer of that installation.

This is what it looks like to me. Or something very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That looks like the playground equipment at the kindergarten I work for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suspect Bucket posted:

That would be a touch far for games and forums reading, I think. Either you have fantastic vision, or you'll be cranki g the resolution way down to make stuff bigger. Mine on a swing arm, so I can fold it away to be flat with the wall if I need to work at my desk, but usually it's swung out right to the edge of the bed.

Not for 'puter usage. Xbox. I have an iPad for forums and stuff.

Oh, wow, that's cool.

Baronjutter posted:

I saw many newer buildings like that in Ukraine just covered with foam insulation then plaster and paint applied directly over top (or not at all sometimes!) I imagine it's just a layer of that falling of.

That's basically what I'm thinking it is.
Sort of a styrofoam stucco.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Baronjutter posted:

I saw many newer buildings like that in Ukraine just covered with foam insulation then plaster and paint applied directly over top (or not at all sometimes!) I imagine it's just a layer of that falling of.

Pretty common especially in temperate climates. It was invented in Germany to rebuild faster with a stone adjacent look.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Those cement pillars off to the left are the garage.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

there wolf posted:

This needs a word, like "reverse carport."

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My parents had some work done on their house and now one breaker keeps tripping on a lightly loaded circuit. They keep flipping it back on and think I'm worrying too much when I say they absolutely should stop that.

Looking forward to my parents impending demise due to crappy construction.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

When you say it's lightly loaded, you tested with a ammeter or are basing that off what is supposedly connected to it?

I went out with a girl for a little while whose mother thought the crack in her gas furnace heat-exchanger was just a scam to get a new system installed. That was a stressful few months.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I can't test it since I'm nowhere nearby, but it should only have a couple of CFLs on it.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

I can't test it since I'm nowhere nearby, but it should only have a couple of CFLs on it.

My gut says that either something else has been connected to that circuit during the work that shouldn't have been. Or that it has been damaged during the work. Either way it is a problem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

there wolf posted:

That loving 90's stucco turns green and disgusting in any climate with any sort of moisture yet was the defacto default cladding for just about every single cheap residential building built for 20 years where I live, a very very wet climate. It's all green and black stained and looks like hell.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Either you have fantastic vision, or you'll be cranki g the resolution way down to make stuff bigger.

Oh dear, no, no no no. You do not need to adjust resolution off the native res of a monitor just to make text and icons bigger! Essentially every modern OS has accessibility features for exactly this purpose. So do browsers and most other applications that display text.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKM4FvGGPY

27,000 1 pence coins used to create a floor all sealed with an epoxy resin. Cannot wait for someone to try and remodel and get rid of the floor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my building replace it's 1951 door closer with a new one and it's driving me insane. It seems to kick in when you get the door only half open, so you suddenly hit all this resistance. Is there some way I can tweak this because it's awful and it makes it impossible to come in the door with your hands full and use your butt or hips to push the door open or get any sort of swing going.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

27,000 1 pence coins used to create a floor all sealed with an epoxy resin. Cannot wait for someone to try and remodel and get rid of the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerVHGoj-d0&t=406s I think that would work pretty well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There should be a couple of screws somewhere to adjust, they need a-fiddling with.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

OSI bean dip posted:

So is this as slippery as it looks, especially if it gets wet at all?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

That was really well done though. It would be expensive to repair (or at least annoying), but as long as the coins don't react with the epoxy over time, this doesn't look awful.

The Glumslinger posted:

So is this as slippery as it looks, especially if it gets wet at all?

Probably not--the epoxy surface isn't perfectly smooth unless it's polished, AFAIK. They use this stuff for covering bare concrete floors.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 25, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slanderer posted:

That was really well done though. It would be expensive to repair (or at least annoying), but as long as the coins don't react with the epoxy over time, this doesn't look awful.

Probably not--the epoxy surface isn't perfectly smooth unless it's polished, AFAIK. They use this stuff for covering bare concrete floors.

Wouldn't it have been easier to lay down a backing sheet and print out some images of pennies, then glasscoat that?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spog posted:

Wouldn't it have been easier to lay down a backing sheet and print out some images of pennies, then glasscoat that?

It would also look noticably different, and age far worse as the picture fades from exposure to sunlight.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

So my building replace it's 1951 door closer with a new one and it's driving me insane. It seems to kick in when you get the door only half open, so you suddenly hit all this resistance. Is there some way I can tweak this because it's awful and it makes it impossible to come in the door with your hands full and use your butt or hips to push the door open or get any sort of swing going.

There will be a screw or two or three you can use to adjust it. You either need to adjust the swing speed screw or the back check valve. If the door closes really, really quickly turn down the swing speed. When it's set really high it can be hard to push the door open. If that doesn't help turn down the back check. Back check slows down how fast the door opens but it's not something you'll be able to adjust on a lot of closers.
My closer has a single screw that needs to be adjusted just right to close the door without slamming it and it needs to be adjusted by season. loving fiddly piece of garbage.

https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/Door-Closer-Adjustment

HERAK posted:

My gut says that either something else has been connected to that circuit during the work that shouldn't have been. Or that it has been damaged during the work. Either way it is a problem.

My money is on staple/nail-through-wiring

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OSI bean dip posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd say there's probably at least 30,000$ into that floor if not a lot more. Man, hope that guy never falls on hard times and has to contemplate getting that money back out of there

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd say there's probably at least 30,000$ into that floor if not a lot more. Man, hope that guy never falls on hard times and has to contemplate getting that money back out of there

They said 27000 pennies, so $270 worth of materials, not counting the epoxy. The time invested cost way more than the cash value of the coins.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a coin-coated bar at a bar but they only used worthless currencies like SEK and USD so it probably didn't cost much. (They also have a mural done in pencil which is pretty impressive since in most bars it would be gone by now.)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They said 27000 pennies, so $270 worth of materials, not counting the epoxy. The time invested cost way more than the cash value of the coins.

$340.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Eh? It clearly states in the title that they used 27,000 one-pence coins, so the value of the coinage in the floor is 270 pounds, or $339.49 at the current exchange rate according to google.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

How are you getting $30,000?

It can't be more than $300 worth of currency in that floor.

e: fb :argh:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

£400, the most concrete number I can provide

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zereth posted:

Eh? It clearly states in the title that they used 27,000 one-pence coins, so the value of the coinage in the floor is 270 pounds, or $339.49 at the current exchange rate according to google.

Pence is plural. They used one-penny coins. :smugmrgw: / :eng101:

e: More like :can: actually. Everyone just uses p I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Nobody's tried to use concrete as currency ever since the Romans discovered it wouldn't float.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

:golfclap:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Posted at 9:02am GMT.

This is some kind of Britgoon trap, isn't it?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think that coin-top thing can be cool for a bartop or a side table, but I can't imagine doing it for an entire floor. And it'll be a huge question mark if you want to sell the house.

Bad Munki posted:

Bravo.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Hopefully not a repost.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God, don't encourage Bad Munki. He's already incorrigible enough.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Gounads posted:

Hopefully not a repost.

I have a drawer like that in my house. I had to file off some of the knob to get it to clear. Uggh, previous owners.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not really a screw up, but the way they doored the cabinets below really irritates me as well, because that corner is probably a ton of storage space that would be great for big pots or bowls and now it's behind two small doors and you'll never get anything back there easily. There are even a bunch of off-the-shelf doors for that sort of space.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Not really a screw up, but the way they doored the cabinets below really irritates me as well, because that corner is probably a ton of storage space that would be great for big pots or bowls and now it's behind two small doors and you'll never get anything back there easily. There are even a bunch of off-the-shelf doors for that sort of space.

...huh. I should flip the mounting of my corner cabinet drawer, shouldn't I?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

...huh. I should flip the mounting of my corner cabinet drawer, shouldn't I?

Do it like this

NO drawers in the corner. Lazy susan is optional - it makes it easier to get stuff into the back, but wastes some of the available space.

This is another option:

Requires beefy hinges. Lets you have one drawer above. Not sure if the little door on the right is functional.

You can also fill in the corner a bit:

May result in a more expensive countertop, but adds a little to the storage room. Also reduces the width of the door, so beware that could limit the size of what you store in there.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ashcans posted:

Part of our kitchen is like this and it is the worst. We can't even swap out the doors for something like the picture up there because there's this weird load bearing thing going on with the interior for the sink.

Bad Munki posted:

God drat, I just got it.

e: Holy poo poo this wasn't here when I started typing:

Leperflesh posted:

This is another option:

You are a treasure.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 27, 2017