Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Certainly fits better than my own tradition of naming my kids stuff like Max Fightmaster, Gertrude Hardpunch and Gabrielle Andromeda, that's for sure.

What about in the video game, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

What about in the video game, though?

Oh, you know, stuff like Hubert, Robert, Dogbert, Catbert, Camembert, Bert, Ernie, that sort of things. I'll need to think up some names for the boys though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Way of the Samurai 4

My god. Please tell me this game is fun to play.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CommissarMega posted:

I actually think the MLP names for horses come from the game's own name lists, IIRC. Besides, if you're going for world-conquering horses, why not name them after the cartoon? Certainly fits better than my own tradition of naming my kids stuff like Max Fightmaster, Gertrude Hardpunch and Gabrielle Andromeda, that's for sure.

They're not. The game has a surprising number of goofy rear end horse names considering the event always spawns Glitterhoof but he changed the names so they wouldn't overlap so much. Rather more obviously though was renaming his empire Equestria.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The Missing Link posted:

http://plays.tv/video/5883960fad2bbcab38/so-long

Playing Dying Light and saved a dude from a biter and this happened. The best part is after he finished sinking into the earth when his cleaver hits the ground.

For me they always collapsed right after saying thank you. I've posted a video with bunch of those here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

My god. Please tell me this game is fun to play.

It's pretty fun. You're a samurai, you can run around kicking people in the face, murdering dudes if that's your thing. The story basically revolves around your dude's first and only week in that town and how you radically alter the small revolution going on by aligning yourself with the political powers there. Mostly by murdering people who disagree with the people you like. So individual playthroughs are pretty short and each chain of events is different enough, aside from like two major events, that it doesn't get overly repetitive. There are a bunch of different sword styles, over a hundred different swords, spears and guns to collect. You can break swords and spears apart to make your own weapons and upgrade those. It does get pretty grindy and annoying if you try for 100% completion though because some swords only drop on the hardest difficulty and on the harder difficulties dudes will just straight up murder you instantly if you don't know how to block, parry and counter but the combat system is just a bit too clunky to make that the most interesting fighting style.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Nuebot posted:

I mean, it's not a glitch or anything, was the dude I used last time. I recently realized you can set your outfit to change when you draw your sword and when it's sheathed so next play through I need to figure out how to make my dude unfold like a transformer look like a magical girl.

That's where I thought you were going with it, anyway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm inclined to agree with this video's title, especially after what happens at around 2:13.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FredMSloniker posted:

That's where I thought you were going with it, anyway.

If I could find or make a skirt accessory I would. Maybe I can do something with the kamen rider belt or an upside down bowler hat hidden in the dude's waist.

:eyepop: I was really desperately hoping the car would fall back down on the target. How does that even happen? I used to park in front of shops all the time in GTAOnline to annoy people and never got launched in the sky.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: I was really desperately hoping the car would fall back down on the target. How does that even happen? I used to park in front of shops all the time in GTAOnline to annoy people and never got launched in the sky.

According to the comments, it doesn't work anymore because it's fixed, but as I understand things (which might be entirely bullshit, it's been forever), it's like the glitchy swingset from 4:

- Object realizes its not where its supposed to be
- Physics Engine says "be where you need to be, now"
- Object, in being told to go where it's supposed to be, imparts infinite force in the process
- Anything hit by said infinite force reacts accordingly, usually by reaching orbital velocity

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MisterBibs posted:

According to the comments, it doesn't work anymore because it's fixed, but as I understand things (which might be entirely bullshit, it's been forever), it's like the glitchy swingset from 4:

- Object realizes its not where its supposed to be
- Physics Engine says "be where you need to be, now"
- Object, in being told to go where it's supposed to be, imparts infinite force in the process
- Anything hit by said infinite force reacts accordingly, usually by reaching orbital velocity

It's the same thing as the swing-set in GTA4 I think.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dwarf Fortress dev log:

quote:

There are still all sorts of strange things going on. For instance, when I returned a figurine to a lord, he stuffed it into a personal pouch where his guards couldn't see it, so some of them started interrogating me since they thought I'd hidden it and didn't actually see the hand-off.
The upcoming version should produce plenty of new material for the thread.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That is an unbelievably nuanced reaction and sounds well in keeping with the bizarre ad-lib story generating that Toady wants DF to do; it's just a shame it'll probably take an entire development arc to work out the appropriate counter-reaction of 'no dudes it's right here we're cool'.

I'm still not sure that tops feline alcohol poisoning or novice necromancers losing the trust of their own undead for emergent behaviorial interactions, though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That is an unbelievably nuanced reaction and sounds well in keeping with the bizarre ad-lib story generating that Toady wants DF to do; it's just a shame it'll probably take an entire development arc to work out the appropriate counter-reaction of 'no dudes it's right here we're cool'.

I'm still not sure that tops feline alcohol poisoning or novice necromancers losing the trust of their own undead for emergent behaviorial interactions, though.

I'm pretty sure the demonic building-smashers who happen to be Humanity's trade liaisons are stronger than either of those. "RRAGH KRONK THE UNHOLY HORNED BEYOND DEMON SMASH yes, okay fourteen tons of steel, will do RR THAT DOOR UPRIGHT NOT FOR MUCH LONGER wood? Really? You're in a forest, but, as you wish TABLE MORE LIKE RUBBLE Of course I'll bring beer, everyone loves your stone mugs GRAAAH"

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 24, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Best thing is when those demonic liasons have their procedurally generated stuff include constantly releasing horrible syndrome clouds or slime trails or whatever that would make people's feet rot off.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Zach and Tarn actually went into the feline alcohol poisoning thing a bit in their Roguelike Celebration talk last year (at around 22:20). Apparently it was an unintended consequence of implementing eyelids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRsScwdPcE

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't forget about - what was it - geese laying iron thrones instead of eggs?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Not quite a glitch. He had intentionally done that to see if he had the code working properly in case he wanted critters to lay non-egg items (golden eggs, anyone?) but he forgot to change it back before the release.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Well, yeah, if we're talking about stuff that isn't just emergent behavior that may or may not be bugs. I'm personally still very fond of the 'boiling rain' problem that came up a couple of times early in development of the 3d version, simply because everything would be trucking along fine at your fort until a happy little raincloud happened by and suddenly everyone's skin is melting and barrels are exploding and absolutely everything is on fire in your once-happy little hellscape.

Like, tons of stuff in DF is unintended, but hilariously appropriate behavior. If a monster declares itself ruler of a civ it conquered, you can still get adventurer quests to kill that monster from members of the civ. If cats tried to clean off alcohol, they'd get drunk/die. In many relatively recent versions, it's possible for your settlement to enter into a civil war due to an unintended consequence of civ hostility, as arbitrary boundaries are drawn and dorfs end up sorting themselves out into two eternally-warring ideological camps, perpetrated by new arrivals long after anyone who knows what set off the original fight is dead. Undead sponges were once essentially immortal because they had no particular vulnerabilities to exploit. Novice vampires may attempt to blame their crimes on the deceased victim, or on babies. A noble who was the most experienced craftsman might blame themselves for failing to meet one of their own demands and order their own hammering. Most of these behaviors end up classed as bugs and are at least modified, if not removed outright, but they're excellent for telling funny stories.

If we want to look at the just plain weird bugs, though, yeah, there's some other real winners out there. For a long time, Toady struggled with body-parts and flesh-layering; as the eyelid problem suggests, it's been kind of an ongoing struggle. Geese making GBS threads iron thrones was a pretty good one as well. Fruit-picking continues to be a dangerous vocation for dwarves who tend to end up like treed cats, refusing to come down until they starve to death (or the offending fruit tree is chopped down from underneath them). Then there's the military hazing exercise where dropping a dwarf onto a wooden spike would trigger a massive explosion of difficult skill-checks, instantly levelling them to Legendary status with whatever weapon, shield, armor, or dodging skill they attempted to use to avoid being skewered (I think parrying with a pickaxe could even make a dwarf a Legendary miner?). Various substances have had problems with being spontaneously flammable or explosive, including alcohol and blood. Dwarven perpetual motion machines are probably still something you can make.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Well, yeah, if we're talking about stuff that isn't just emergent behavior that may or may not be bugs. I'm personally still very fond of the 'boiling rain' problem that came up a couple of times early in development of the 3d version, simply because everything would be trucking along fine at your fort until a happy little raincloud happened by and suddenly everyone's skin is melting and barrels are exploding and absolutely everything is on fire in your once-happy little hellscape.

Like, tons of stuff in DF is unintended, but hilariously appropriate behavior. If a monster declares itself ruler of a civ it conquered, you can still get adventurer quests to kill that monster from members of the civ. If cats tried to clean off alcohol, they'd get drunk/die. In many relatively recent versions, it's possible for your settlement to enter into a civil war due to an unintended consequence of civ hostility, as arbitrary boundaries are drawn and dorfs end up sorting themselves out into two eternally-warring ideological camps, perpetrated by new arrivals long after anyone who knows what set off the original fight is dead. Undead sponges were once essentially immortal because they had no particular vulnerabilities to exploit. Novice vampires may attempt to blame their crimes on the deceased victim, or on babies. A noble who was the most experienced craftsman might blame themselves for failing to meet one of their own demands and order their own hammering. Most of these behaviors end up classed as bugs and are at least modified, if not removed outright, but they're excellent for telling funny stories.

If we want to look at the just plain weird bugs, though, yeah, there's some other real winners out there. For a long time, Toady struggled with body-parts and flesh-layering; as the eyelid problem suggests, it's been kind of an ongoing struggle. Geese making GBS threads iron thrones was a pretty good one as well. Fruit-picking continues to be a dangerous vocation for dwarves who tend to end up like treed cats, refusing to come down until they starve to death (or the offending fruit tree is chopped down from underneath them). Then there's the military hazing exercise where dropping a dwarf onto a wooden spike would trigger a massive explosion of difficult skill-checks, instantly levelling them to Legendary status with whatever weapon, shield, armor, or dodging skill they attempted to use to avoid being skewered (I think parrying with a pickaxe could even make a dwarf a Legendary miner?). Various substances have had problems with being spontaneously flammable or explosive, including alcohol and blood. Dwarven perpetual motion machines are probably still something you can make.

Let's not forget bringing your infants into battle and using them as shields/clubs then going into rage because they were injured.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't it discovered not too long ago that dwarves had been only a couple of inches tall for years and nobody noticed because it didn't break anything?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

Wasn't it discovered not too long ago that dwarves had been only a couple of inches tall for years and nobody noticed because it didn't break anything?

That seems fully intended to me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

haveblue posted:

Only Dwarves/animals born in a fort. They didn't properly grow after birth so they were infant sized forever. There were a few knock on effects but most people don't have a ton of dwarfs actually grow up while playing a fort so it wasn't really noticed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Because size is subjective, the only way they were able to analyze it was by tracking each dwarf's total blood volume.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tunicate posted:

Because size is subjective, the only way they were able to analyze it was by tracking each dwarf's total blood volume.

And somebody bothered to do this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

"And somebody bothered to do this" is Dwarffortress.txt

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Apparently someone made a functioning computer using objects in dwarf fortress. It's been done in minecraft using redstone too. People bother to do very odd things.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I do recall at one point it was possible to make Dwarfs immune to fire by setting them on fire then extinguishing them once all their fat was burned off, because only fat burned properly.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Digirat posted:

Apparently someone made a functioning computer using objects in dwarf fortress. It's been done in minecraft using redstone too. People bother to do very odd things.

Clearly the next step is dwarf bitcoin.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

VanSandman posted:

I do recall at one point it was possible to make Dwarfs immune to fire by setting them on fire then extinguishing them once all their fat was burned off, because only fat burned properly.

If I recall correctly, a goon accidentally did this by managing to rescue a magma-charred dwarf miner via a legendary doctor with adamantine bandages, and was surprised when she hopped out of bed around a year later. There was a screenshot of her wounds screen that showed how absolutely every part of her had burned away except her bones (which were now completely wrapped in adamantine bandages). The guy put her in adamantine armour and sent her off to join the military; apparently she was literally impervious to all forms of injury because she didn't bleed or feel pain and had no flesh to injure, and she was wearing so many insulating and deflecting layers of adamantine that nothing could deliver sufficient force to crack her shambling, mummified bones.

e: I think I remember the poster saying that being Anakin Skywalker'd in a molten inferno had only given her a moderate unhappy thought and she was perfectly happy in her new career as an invincible skeletal hell knight

Angry Diplomat has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jan 25, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nob6kcLod3w

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wait so these guys are making a video game but can't find a better way than to film their screen ? :v:

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Angry Diplomat posted:

she was perfectly happy in her new career as an invincible skeletal hell knight
I would be too

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dwarf Fortress mechanics always sound made up to me.

Sometimes be actually programmed a game that can track blood volume, body mass, tracks what liquids a body might be covered in, and can calculate vaguely logical consequences for all these things interacting?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Davoren posted:

Sometimes be actually programmed a game that can track blood volume, body mass, tracks what liquids a body might be covered in, and can calculate vaguely logical consequences for all these things interacting?

I've never played DF but "vaguely" kinda sounds like the operative word there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I've never played DF but "vaguely" kinda sounds like the operative word there.

DF development plunges right into the uncanny valley of simulation.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Davoren posted:

It's been in development for like 10 years.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Davoren posted:

Its graphics are ASCII if that gives you any indication of the devs priorities

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

Its graphics are ASCII if that gives you any indication of the devs priorities

It's ascii art. The rendering is done in OpenGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
In fairness, Toady did eventually relent and let someone else rewrite the graphics code since it's not really his focus and it badly needed overhauled. It gives him more time to try to focus on tweaking variables just so so that novice necromancers won't keep giving up necromancy in order to become best-selling ancient-mythical-times authors.