Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Interesting. According to the official Facebook page (reverting/updating their profile picture to the original one), the podcast isn't on the Slideshow network anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Interesting. According to the official Facebook page (reverting/updating their profile picture to the original one), the podcast isn't on the Slideshow network anymore.

This got mentioned upthread; the Sideshow Network went out of business.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
EDIT: Wow

precision fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 29, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey Eric if you're listening, Man in the High Castle does get better in the second season. They send the members of the love triangle to three separate countries.

Also Rufus Sewell is great

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dredd deserved better and a sequel would have been great. :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey Eric if you're listening, Man in the High Castle does get better in the second season. They send the members of the love triangle to three separate countries.

Also Rufus Sewell is great

Yeah season 1 is a very soft recommend but season 2 is just flat-out fantastic, especially once the titular Man shows up. And he's not wrong that Rufus Sewell is the best part of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Rufus Sewell ever not the best part of whatever he's in?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Rufus Sewell ever not the best part of whatever he's in?

Richard O'Brien and Kiefer Sutherland were both better than him in Dark City, but that's a very slim margin since everyone in that movie is fantastic.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

I liked the part where they were explaining that you had to have money/riches to get into the afterlife, that's why you built a pyramid, and you just hear Eric whisper in amazement "you built a pyramid?" Very stupid moment but I laughed.

Unlike most people, eric displays absolutely zero fear of saying the dumbest jokes that come to him. It's an asset.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched the movie right before listening to the episode, and in retrospect, while the whole whitewashing argument had some merit, literally nothing about the movie was accurate to real life in any way and the movie was a piece of poo poo so who really even cares?

Setting aside any contentious arguments about who should be allowed to play what culture, one of the big arguments against whitewashing is that it takes away acting roles from actors who aren't white, in a film industry that (to use the US film industry as an example) already casts far more white actors than is representative of the actual demographics of the US. So if you're a black actor, for example, you're already (controlling for all other factors) less likely to be hired in the film industry explicitly because of the colour of your skin. By changing the few roles that, for whatever reason, probably could have explicitly asked for actors who aren't white (if it's adapting a work and the character isn't white, for instance) into roles for white actors, it just restricts the field of acting further for people who aren't white.

The argument is of course that audiences only want white actors and Will Smith (and maybe not even Will Smith anymore!) but at the end of the day I think the only people with the responsibility to change who gets cast in films and address a pretty openly racist hiring policy are the people actually making the films, and a good step toward addressing these discriminatory hiring policies would be to maybe take the tiny step of not going out of their way to change the ethnicity of a character just so they don't have to hire someone who isn't white. Or you can believe the same Hollywood that keeps giving Jeremy Renner leading roles when they tell you they're 100% certain that making a film about an asian woman or some black people would sink the studio.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: Michael Jackson

precision fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 29, 2017

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

The problem with Gods of Egypt isn't that they were white people, it's that they weren't animorphs

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

precision posted:

It's OK To Be White In A Movie

Making Moses or Jesus white, though, now that is pretty ridiculous. At least those guys probably existed, and definitely weren't white if they did.

What makes you so sure that Yahushua el Bayt Lahm wasn't a tall blond man with piercing blue eyes?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why even make a movie set in or around Egypt if you're just going to cast the whitest people possible? Just because the film is made up garbage that no one saw doesn't magically excuse a lovely practice that has been going on in Hollywood since its inception.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
#EgyptSoWhite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: NOT

precision fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 29, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

precision posted:

On the other hand, why not cast whoever the director thinks can do the job the best

They cast Gerard Butler as one of the lead roles.

Besides, the backlash months before the movie even came out helped it crash and burn.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

precision posted:

On the other hand, why not cast whoever the director thinks can do the job the best

Agreed

#whitepower

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

well why not posted:

Unlike most people, eric displays absolutely zero fear of saying the dumbest jokes that come to him. It's an asset.

It kind of is... He does "amiable doofus" pretty well, and it gives the other people more room to be caustic.

(I think I'm thinking of the right guy. I don't have voices attached to names yet. I originally thought one of the guys was doing a good Kevin Spacey impression, and then later it seemed like, "Wow he is really committed to this," before I realized it was a fully separate person who just sounds like Kevin Spacey.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: Canticles for Leibowitz

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sax Solo posted:

It kind of is... He does "amiable doofus" pretty well, and it gives the other people more room to be caustic.

(I think I'm thinking of the right guy. I don't have voices attached to names yet. I originally thought one of the guys was doing a good Kevin Spacey impression, and then later it seemed like, "Wow he is really committed to this," before I realized it was a fully separate person who just sounds like Kevin Spacey.)

Amiable doofus sounds more like Sajdak. Eric has the exact tone of voice and cadence as Norm McDonald.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JT Smiley posted:

Why even make a movie set in or around Egypt if you're just going to cast the whitest people possible? Just because the film is made up garbage that no one saw doesn't magically excuse a lovely practice that has been going on in Hollywood since its inception.

I mean, it's not like there aren't silly white people gods you could use instead and only have to change the names of the characters.

Goddamn Mug Ruith is starting poo poo with Luchtaine in god land!

precision posted:

Oh I was just making a general point not meant to refer to Gods of Egypt.

I'm just saying like as a general rule why impose arbitrary expectations on people making art. Like, would it have killed JK Rowling to have put less white people in her books? But at the end of the day, it's her story.

The system is set up to help white people, because it's American. Just letting things cruise along, awarding the best people in the system is going to do nothing but continue the issue of all these white people with roles and nothing for non-white people. Unless you're Denzel, or Will Smith, or something. It's a Catch 22 situation akin to the lack of female leads in many genres, because nobody has made money off a female lead movie in the genre, which no one has ever made because there's no money in it.

Plus just wanting the best actor for the job assumes that cinematic parts have actoral soulmates. Either lots of people can turn in a good performance for a part, or we hold out for Anthony Hopkins and Helen Miran to play every single roll. Sir Anthony, we really need to get this Resident Evil movie going, but those fuckers in wardrobe keep insisting none of the Alice costumes fit you. Would you be willing to trade with Helen and play Wesker instead?

Edit: Though there is a certain honesty in casting Gerard Butler as Set, a god whose dominion includes foreigners.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Unless you're Denzel, or Will Smith, or something.

Even if you're Denzel or Will Smith. The Sony hacks revealed an exec warning people not to cast him because "black leads don't play well overseas" and Will Smith has said he had to personally petition a studio to send him to Cannes to promote something for the same reason.

Hollywood is wrong about international audiences by the way. Denzel's "Equalizer" did like 3 times the foreign numbers of Keanu Reeves very similar "John Wick"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

precision posted:

Oh I was just making a general point not meant to refer to Gods of Egypt.

I'm just saying like as a general rule why impose arbitrary expectations on people making art. Like, would it have killed JK Rowling to have put less white people in her books? But at the end of the day, it's her story.

Actually Rowling never said what anyone's ethnicity was in any of the books. We just all assumed they were white.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually Rowling never said what anyone's ethnicity was in any of the books. We just all assumed they were white.

At least the main cast, as shown in the book covers, were white, but yeah there were a whole lot of characters whose ethnicity was never mentioned and people just assumed were white (some that wouldn't even make sense, like the Patil twins or the guy whose last name is Zabini)

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I disliked them disliking The Raid.

I like both Dredd and The Raid and look forward to The Raid 3.

Gods of Egypt was sorta there I guess.

They have correct opinions about John Wick so it's ok. I hope they never make a Dredd sequel because it would make this one much less special

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MariusLecter posted:

Dredd deserved better and a sequel would have been great. :sigh:

Getting to be a cult classic that's forever remembered fondly is such a better fate than $85 million, a bad sequel and then a few DTV sequels that bring the whole thing down so far that you'll refuse to admit you like the first one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

because if that's how it worked it means for all of cinema history it just happens that white people are just inherently better actors than any minority, even in stories about that minority.

Like, either racism is a thing that exists and you can try to buck it at least a bit, or somehow there just are literally no good minority actors save for a rare few.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Unless the best person for the job is "Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such", in which case you can't cast him because he's just not marketable enough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: Shut up!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
One of my favorite things about this podcast is that the guys just get stuff like this, even if some of their listeners don't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: Mistakes have been made this day

precision fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 29, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

One of my favorite things about this podcast is that the guys just get stuff like this, even if some of their listeners don't.

After years of trying I finally got my wife hooked on this podcast and she loves the fact that the crew not only gets it, but calls movies out for sexist/racist bullshit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

What? I think what I'm saying is in line with them verbally rolling their eyes at the guy saying "whitewashing 101" out loud. I specifically pointed out how I agree that Wesley Snipes would make a great Joker and also that the explosion of white nerds would be huge and stupid in order to try and head off where this has ended up going. :shobon:

Lol I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the "Moooom come jerk me off!" twitter guys. But if you want to bring it up, you're saying some well-meaning but ignorant things. We actually have a really great forum for discussing race now that might help you grasp the subtleties. I don't think we have a race and casting thread yet. Maybe you could start one!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I kinda suspect Gods Of Egypt was a hasty copy & paste over a script titled something about norse gods when they realised that the Thor movies exist.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The director is Egyptian so it's possible that this was just a movie about his culture that he'd always wanted to make, and that movie just turned out to be not very good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

well why not posted:

I kinda suspect Gods Of Egypt was a hasty copy & paste over a script titled something about norse gods when they realised that the Thor movies exist.
Oh man, you saying this just reminded me of a lovely old 360 game called "Too Human". It was an action RPG lootfest game where the idea is that the Norse gods are actually these superadvanced future humans <sajdak>or something</sajdak>.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7Qk4RJFLs

The thing I always loved about it was how the game was set up as the first part of a trilogy that never happened because the game sold terribly. Oh, and every time you died there was an unskippable 25 second cutscene.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I played the demo for that, it seemed pretty fun in a mindless way. The setting was very cool (you played as a not-quite fully cyborg Baldur) and the graphics seemed nice. Weird controls, though. I also hated the 30s respawn animation of the Valkyrie rising up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Listening to old episodes, I think Easy Rider 2 is the perfect We Hate Movies episode: the movie sounds dire, their analysis at the beginning of the episode and throughout is well reasoned and thought out, and their jokes are on point and incredible, from the mannequin complaining about being put in Macy's to the Hitler estate not licensing the swastika because they had no faith in the project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Calaveron posted:

Listening to old episodes, I think Easy Rider 2 is the perfect We Hate Movies episode: the movie sounds dire, their analysis at the beginning of the episode and throughout is well reasoned and thought out, and their jokes are on point and incredible, from the mannequin complaining about being put in Macy's to the Hitler estate not licensing the swastika because they had no faith in the project

Their commentary was like a beautiful blue sky

Right before 9/11