Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

I can't say I really see the point in outing the little people at CIG, they're just green rookies in the gaming industry, trying to keep a roof over their heads and avoid going bankrupt from student debt. It's a loving hard industry to get into so I can't say I blame those kids for staying on even if they know it's futile, a paying job is a paying job.

All of that is irrelevant, and has no basis on the premise of listing the people working on a game.

To assume that they are somehow "victims" by working on or being associated with what, for all intent and purposes, has turned into a $142m scam, is a non-starter.

And their "innocence" and "livelihood" is no more valuable than that of the gamers who put in millions of dollars to fund their payroll, and thus their livelihood.

Finally, the notion that publishing a list of people working on a project is now somehow victimhood, not to mention inferring that they have somehow committed a crime, is the pinnacle of faux outrage. Spare me the sentiment.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben stores an emergency supply of M&Ms behind his glass eye?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Might not be doxxing, but it's pretty creepy in my opinion.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No one gives a gently caress what your opinion is though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I care deeply.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

JugbandDude posted:

Might not be doxxing, but it's pretty creepy in my opinion.

You mean like all the people listed as working on these crowd-funded game projects?

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?ref=home_potd

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ayn Marx posted:

Our own mods will probate this ruthlessly

:black101::black101::black101:

e: Derek knows the line and I don't expect him to cross it here. If he wants to write a blog with a list of every employee and what they had for breakfast on his own website or forums that's his prerogative.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 26, 2017

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

I can't say I really see the point in outing the little people at CIG, they're just green rookies in the gaming industry, trying to keep a roof over their heads and avoid going bankrupt from student debt. It's a loving hard industry to get into so I can't say I blame those kids for staying on even if they know it's futile, a paying job is a paying job.

You only see higher level exits from the company. Maybe, once hired, the students don't have a choice on leaving freely or not?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

D_Smart posted:

You mean like all the people listed as working on these crowd-funded game projects?

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?ref=home_potd

You mean each project is listing their own dev team? It doesn't look like the same case.

No offense, man, but it feels like you are keeping one of those police boards with pictures and the hierarchy of a criminal organization.

I feel for the little guys here. They are not SS soldiers "just" following orders, they are trying hard to make a dream come true, even though there is no solid design, plan or management.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sum Mors posted:

You only see higher level exits from the company. Maybe, once hired, the students don't have a choice on leaving freely or not?

Maybe they don't have a choice because they like to eat or have a roof over their head. People get stuck in lovely jobs because they have other responsibilities.

Derek just needs to get the spotlight back on him because that's all this has ever been about for him and "outing" some lowly intern trying to make ends meet is his way of doing that. What a dick.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

JugbandDude posted:

You mean each project is listing their own dev team? It doesn't look like the same case.

No offense, man, but it feels like you are keeping one of those police boards with pictures and the hierarchy of a criminal organization.

I feel for the little guys here. They are not SS soldiers "just" following orders, they are trying hard to make a dream come true, even though there is no solid design, plan or management.

:same:

It isn't the "little guys" faults that the project is in such a mess, but all those in management positions: Directors, Producers, Dept Heads & Leads.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

JugbandDude posted:

Seating Plan.

Credit - CIG official publication Jump Point magazine "Creating Magic" July 2015 Page 41.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Ben Parry mutters "gently caress you Derek" while arguing furiously on twitter and on the Frontier forums and if the guy sitting facing him in the office gets bothered by it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

I wonder if Ben Parry mutters "gently caress you Derek" while arguing furiously on twitter and on the Frontier forums and if the guy sitting facing him in the office gets bothered by it.

lol at that guy being called Derek Senior

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

scrubs season six posted:

I'm gonna play AC4 right now, now that I think of it.

Is there a mod, cheat or something that lets you skip the future sections? I've enjoyed Assassin's Creed games, but I am completely uninterested in the overarching plot.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Not a threat. Not a doxx. Not harassment.

Regardless of what other people say my intent is, that's on you guys who listen to them.

As I said on Twitter, it is a blog listing all key people - past and present - working on the project. Short bios and links to LinkedIn (and where possible, RSI profiles) profiles. No different from any company website or crowd-funded project in which the people are listed.

Heck, you could go right now on LinkedIn do a search for "people who work at cloud imperium" and come up with a list. Similarly, you could go on any crowd-funded project page and see the people asking for money and making the product. What makes Star Citizen any different or special?

Faux outrage never concerned me one bit. So all this is just noise.

I can understand your perspective on it. The part I'm not getting is the why part.

Can you explain why you feel this is a good idea? How will it promote your cause?

It seems to me like you will only get negative publicity for this, and the swarms will herd to protect CIG from the bogey man again.

Looking forward to your why this is a good thing reply! :)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

I can understand your perspective on it. The part I'm not getting is the why part.

Can you explain why you feel this is a good idea? How will it promote your cause?

It seems to me like you will only get negative publicity for this, and the swarms will herd to protect CIG from the bogey man again.

Looking forward to your why this is a good thing reply! :)

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not getting the outrage about this as long as it's a simple list of names and what positions they occupied. If there is a shitload of people leaving that's very relevant to the state of CIG and if Derek simply says "30 people left in the last couple of months" he'll be called a liar. If all he's doing is pointing the people that left CIG on Linkedin I don't see a problem, it's just that I know if he posted/linked to such a thing here we'd have the FYAD brigade screaming for mods in 10 minutes top.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 26, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

lol at that guy being called Derek Senior

What if he gets a son named Derek

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
He'd literally be called Derek Senior Jr. right?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
If you watch right to the end of Wing Commander the Movie it's nothing but a scrolling list of doxing for the last few minutes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

…and then he moves to a Spanish-speaking country.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

Seating Plan.

Credit - CIG official publication Jump Point magazine "Creating Magic" July 2015 Page 41.

I have no problem with this, and all the info is totally public. I'm sure it's all on linked in too.

The real difference is in the presentation. I don't feel like Derek's blog is going to be "and here's a totally innocent list of names from this seating chart".

It's going to be people's names, accounts, etc, on a site that is doing its best to show how this whole thing is a huge scam. It's not the list I feel is the problem, it's the presentation.

It's like having an FBI most wanted list, and at the bottom they say "Oh and here's our seating chart! :)" and suddenly people are on the list who probably don't need to be there.

Data is powerful not that it contains data, but how it is presented. I'm not sure if Derek's blog, outing a scam, is the best place to put random names of people working there; unless of course they are irrefutably part of the scam. Ortwin deserves to be there, Jay Thomas in seat 12B working on the drink mini game probably doesn't.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Morningwoodpecker posted:

If you watch right to the end of Wing Commander the Movie it's nothing but a scrolling list of doxing for the last few minutes.

And still better than the previous hour and a half.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well he can't post it here so unless someone else steps up and presents it in a tasteful and classy manner before he does the Warlord is gonna warlord.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not getting the outrage about this as long as it's a simple list of names and what positions they occupied. If there is a shitload of people leaving that's very relevant to the state of CIG and if Derek simply says "30 people left in the last couple of months" he'll be called a liar. If all he's doing is pointing the people that left CIG on Linkedin I don't see a problem, it's just that I know if he posted/linked to such a thing here we'd have the FYAD brigade screaming for mods in 10 minutes top.

I just answered this above! :)

Pretty much my last on the topic too. I'm not here to brigade against or for anybody in particular. And nobody can stop Derek if he has his mind set on something, so I'll just enjoy the show.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

serious norman posted:

is the game out yet?

https://twitter.com/bakcground/status/824451119149576192

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I have no problem with this, and all the info is totally public. I'm sure it's all on linked in too.

The real difference is in the presentation. I don't feel like Derek's blog is going to be "and here's a totally innocent list of names from this seating chart".

It's going to be people's names, accounts, etc, on a site that is doing its best to show how this whole thing is a huge scam. It's not the list I feel is the problem, it's the presentation.

It's like having an FBI most wanted list, and at the bottom they say "Oh and here's our seating chart! :)" and suddenly people are on the list who probably don't need to be there.

Data is powerful not that it contains data, but how it is presented. I'm not sure if Derek's blog, outing a scam, is the best place to put random names of people working there; unless of course they are irrefutably part of the scam. Ortwin deserves to be there, Jay Thomas in seat 12B working on the drink mini game probably doesn't.

:gary:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:yarg:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I think you guys are overthinking this 'doxxing' business.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Unironically, that looks like the shittiest place to try and do any sort of focused creative work. Nothing better for focus than being crammed cheek-to-cheek with 6 other dudes in a seating plan that looks like it came out of the slave section of a 50-oar galley, right? I love having my train of though interrupted every time anyone within 3 departments of me takes a phone call or has a meeting! But it probably makes it really convenient for the big boss to storm through once a day and upend literally everybody's work cycle. Seriously no loving wonder they never get anything done.

Edit: Catte

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Unironically, that looks like the shittiest place to try and do any sort of focused creative work. Nothing better for focus than being crammed cheek-to-cheek with 6 other dudes in a seating plan that looks like it came out of the slave section of a 50-oar galley, right? I love having my train of though interrupted every time anyone within 3 departments of me takes a phone call or has a meeting! But it probably makes it really convenient for the big boss to storm through once a day and upend literally everybody's work cycle. Seriously no loving wonder they never get anything done.

I feel bad for the dudes with their backs to the kitchen door. I bet they don't get a loving thing done all day what with all the folks taking breaks to go get a two-thousand-calorie sandwich or whatever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I feel bad for the dudes with their backs to the kitchen door. I bet they don't get a loving thing done all day what with all the folks taking breaks to go get a two-thousand-calorie sandwich or whatever.

I like the audio team sandwiched between the machine room, server room, and emergency exit. Across from 16 artists and just down the way from the customer service team. Bet the acoustics are top-notch!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the Bodie meeting room looks really good, while the Doyle one is a bit unkempt and poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

I just answered this above! :)

I don't read your posts :shrug:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

serious norman posted:

is the game out yet?

Game?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Raskolnikov posted:

Want to hang out next time I'm in Portland? I will treat you to Screen Door. Also I will keep your identity a secret. But I want to do a MoMA trip report and be nerds over breakfast food.

Their shrimp and grits are as good as I have had when I visited Nashville. I would get again.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller posted:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. You goonies about both the noveau-riche-wannabe opulence of the LA palace AND the Wilmslow JPEG sweatshop, exactly how would they go about things to suit your fancy? Furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Not a threat. Not a doxx. Not harassment.

Regardless of what other people say my intent is, that's on you guys who listen to them.

As I said on Twitter, it is a blog listing all key people - past and present - working on the project. Short bios and links to LinkedIn (and where possible, RSI profiles) profiles. No different from any company website or crowd-funded project in which the people are listed.

Heck, you could go right now on LinkedIn do a search for "people who work at cloud imperium" and come up with a list. Similarly, you could go on any crowd-funded project page and see the people asking for money and making the product. What makes Star Citizen any different or special?

Faux outrage never concerned me one bit. So all this is just noise.

I mean, we can all have opinions right? You can repeat whatever you wrote in a blog or yelled on twitter - doesn't make it correct.