Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that's how the furniture industry rolls. It also has to take 8-12 weeks to arrive.

So really it's only customized, with the customization limited to upholstery. Which isn't a new thing, but it's probably something that my generation's mostly forgotten about or ignored because money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

So really it's only customized, with the customization limited to upholstery. Which isn't a new thing, but it's probably something that my generation's mostly forgotten about or ignored because money.

Custom means "manufactured on demand, slowly and expensively, and you can't return it". Sometimes you can pick sizes or components to join. It sometimes means "let's draw up some plans together and we'll build exactly what you want", like with kitchen cabinets, but much more rarely.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tim Raines IRL posted:

2017, where your chic 40-person luxury furniture startup includes two people who might be expected by title to know something about furniture. And, of course, no one to actually make the stuff, since obviously we still have to do that somewhere else or a $3000 couch isn't profitable.

https://joybird.com/team/

What kind of title is "Swatch Experience"

And the 40 includes 6 "creatives" and 7 "customer experience" people.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

2017, where your chic 40-person luxury furniture startup includes two people who might be expected by title to know something about furniture. And, of course, no one to actually make the stuff, since obviously we still have to do that somewhere else or a $3000 couch isn't profitable.

https://joybird.com/team/

What kind of title is "Swatch Experience"

i wonder what the ''data science'' dude does. I bet he makes excel sheets.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's telling that none of the team members have anything to do with furniture assembly. And that the only positions they're hiring for are white-color jobs based in the USA. And that they refer to a commitment to "build" in "North America" without any reference to where they actually source the parts and materials.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

But that's how furniture stores have usually worked as well. And, unlike books and toasters, you usually want to sit in one, see if it matches your body, before buying.

What do I know. Disruptive.

Yahoo-Verizon deal shook up by new Federal investigation.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
"Approximately 90% of our users have not been hacked ".
Wow that's great

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I doubt that %90 because wasn't one billion with a B accounts hacked? I doubt they're all unique, but still

:and that was in addition to the 500 million one, too

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elon Musk says he's going to start boring a tunnel in LA in a month. The city of LA says he doesn't have the permits. Ah, the smell of disruption in the morning!

I am viciously hoping that Musk and Thiel are feeling at least a little pain at Trump's announcement that he's cutting *all* H1-B visas. I have my issues with the program, but obliterating it doesn't really seem like a solution.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Elon Musk says he's going to start boring a tunnel in LA in a month. The city of LA says he doesn't have the permits. Ah, the smell of disruption in the morning!

I am viciously hoping that Musk and Thiel are feeling at least a little pain at Trump's announcement that he's cutting *all* H1-B visas. I have my issues with the program, but obliterating it doesn't really seem like a solution.

If Cali breaks off into the Pacific like wedges of a Tobler Orange, he can blame it on frackin' San Andreas.

Like teardrops... in the rain

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As someone who work in the tunneling business, I'm lolling pretty hard at this.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's probably (intended as) a way to increase pressure to expedite the permits.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am viciously hoping that Musk and Thiel are feeling at least a little pain at Trump's announcement that he's cutting *all* H1-B visas.
What? Source?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Prediction: enormous spike in L-1 applications in 13 months.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unless he's planning to put a train in that tunnel, it will do gently caress all for traffic. The more roads in a congested area, the more cars.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Unless he's planning to put a train in that tunnel, it will do gently caress all for traffic. The more roads in a congested area, the more cars.

Its probably for the HYPERLOOP

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would assume that the rejuvenating blood of orphan children makes Thiel immune to pain.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Nah, just limited to Stonecutters.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Dmitri-9 posted:

I'd totally be down with Musk fronting a bunch of his own money for future sci-fi trains and anyone who isn't down is dumb.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait until the first hyperloop disaster. Imagine having to scrape bodies off the walls of a tunnel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

I can't wait until the first hyperloop disaster. Imagine having to scrape bodies off the walls of a tunnel.

Just put the squeegee attachment on the next scheduled train.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cicero posted:

I'd totally be down with Musk fronting a bunch of his own money for future sci-fi trains and anyone who isn't down is dumb.

I'd rather he front the money for something that would actually function and provide a useful service.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It'd be great if all these people who talk about distributed systems and scaling understood that cars don't scale in anywhere near the same magnitude as effective public transport in terms of people transported.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Maluco Marinero posted:

It'd be great if all these people who talk about distributed systems and scaling understood that cars don't scale in anywhere near the same magnitude as effective public transport in terms of people transported.

ya but i dont want to breathe the same air as the gross poors/homeless

edit: really I'm looking forward to someone managing to innovate all the poors away from where I live, eat, and work because as an Innovateur Entrevator I don't want to be subjected to them

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

What? Source?
A leaked executive order draft; the Tweets I saw overstated. It's a lot vaguer than "eliminate h1b". "Consider ways to make the process ... more efficient and ensure that the beneficiaries are the best and the brightest." What that means? Nobody knows.

Meanwhile, Chuck Grassley will introduce an H1-B reform bill reformbill he's been promoting since 2007; Zoe Lofgren is introducing one that prioritizes visa allocation by salary (!!!!), Darrell Issa wants to raise the minimum wage requirement to 100K rather than the current 60K.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cicero posted:

Hyperloop is so stupid that even Musk isn't actually involved. It's literally a giant scam by some con artists who took a short half-serious idea Musk once briefly mentioned and are trying to pretend that it's a real idea/company.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Zoe Lofgren is introducing one that prioritizes visa allocation by salary (!!!!)

This is pretty good if you look at exactly how the current system fails. Add an exemption for postdocs/academics and one or two other occupations, and you're probably there.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

blah_blah posted:

This is pretty good if you look at exactly how the current system fails. Add an exemption for postdocs/academics and one or two other occupations, and you're probably there.

The 100k minimum isn't terrible either. If they're important enough to import from another country, they're probably worth that much.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A Man With A Plan posted:

The 100k minimum isn't terrible either. If they're important enough to import from another country, they're probably worth that much.

It may also help many professionals who are worth it get a fair wage.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 27, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

blah_blah posted:

it's bad if you think h1b's should be used to bring in high achievers in diverse fields to drive economic expansion and it's bad if your primary concern is wage suppression of american workers but it's good if you're facebook, oracle, google, etc and you need bodies for your code mill

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
More lanes and more roads leading to more cars and no real change in traffic is basically one of the best understood and widely accepted principles of modern urban planning. Cars are really, really lovely at moving people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

it's bad if you think h1b's should be used to bring in high achievers in diverse fields to drive economic expansion and it's bad if your primary concern is wage suppression of american workers but it's good if you're facebook, oracle, google, etc and you need bodies for your code mill
Actually, it's good if your primary concern is wage suppression of American workers, because it means you can't bring people in solely because they're cheap. Some of these people will just be outsourced to India, of course, but at least Indian workers won't be being imported to replace Americans -- this is happening at the UCs, for instance.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Actually, it's good if your primary concern is wage suppression of American workers, because it means you can't bring people in solely because they're cheap. Some of these people will just be outsourced to India, of course, but at least Indian workers won't be being imported to replace Americans -- this is happening at the UCs, for instance.

they're still cheap relative to who they are replacing. a developer at google or fb can make $200-300k pretty easily. they can bid $150k on h1bs to put to work optimizing ads, starving out industries that can't afford to meet that $150k and put a bunch of high earning americans out of work

i think h1bs should definitely go to high achievers/high earners but assignment should go by relative pay within a field/industry. if you're not paying your h1bs more than your american workers someone else should get a shot at those visas to bring in productive foreigners that america actually lacks

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

i think h1bs should definitely go to high achievers/high earners but assignment should go by relative pay within a field/industry. if you're not paying your h1bs more than your american workers someone else should get a shot at those visas to bring in productive foreigners that america actually lacks
You're absolutely right. I don't see that passing any time soon, though.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

LanceHunter posted:

Hyperloop is so stupid that even Musk isn't actually involved. It's literally a giant scam by some con artists who took a short half-serious idea Musk once briefly mentioned and are trying to pretend that it's a real idea/company.

Ummmm if Hyperloop wasn't a real idea then why would my dumbshit state government have given it $9.2 million, hmm?

Wired posted:

What happened next is the matter of legal dispute. This much is clear: while Pishevar was in Russia reassuring the investors, Afshin, upset by BamBrogan’s actions, procured a length of rope with a slip-knot tied at one end, went back into the office late at night, and left it on BamBrogan’s chair, to send a message.

Discovering the rope the next morning, BamBrogan took that message to be a death threat, believing the rope to be a “hangman’s noose”, and called the police. (He also filed for a restraining order, which was later denied.) “He had lived with my family. Still had a key to my house. I was extremely fearful. I’ve got a pregnant wife at home, and my life is being threatened,” BamBrogan says. Hyperloop One maintains the rope was a “lasso” intended “for someone acting like a cowboy”. Either way, Afshin Pishevar was immediately fired. The company hired security for the office. The BamBrogans spent the night in a hotel.

The same industrial complex is also home to Faraday Future, a company trying to compete with Tesla in the electric car market. FF is slated to get $335 million in tax subsidies and infrastructure.

Jalopnik posted:

FF spent the next several months in the news over and over again, almost always for reasons no company wants to be in the news. There was the lag on payments to the factory’s construction company, the senior staffers jumping ship, the confusing debut of a seemingly competing car from the company helmed by its principal backer, the lawsuits from a supplier and a landlord who said they weren’t getting paid, the work stoppage on the factory, the state officials in Nevada who said [principal backer] Jia didn’t have as much money as he claimed (something that Jia denied in a haters-are-my-motivators statement), and the fact that leaders in that state copped to never really knowing much about FF’s financials before approving that incentive package.

And of course, it's arguable whether Tesla itself is a unicorn, but that didn't stop Nevada from giving it $1.3 billion in tax subsidies! Of course, on the plus side the "Gigafactory" actually exists, and it helps that electric car batteries are a technology that actually already exists. But on the other hand, there are still delays and I feel like that money could have been spent more productively.

IEEE Spectrum posted:

Musk has also touted the Gigafactory’s economies of scale. Experts, however, are less sanguine on the benefits of large volumes. New research on EV battery manufacturing from Carnegie Mellon University considered a bevy of factors impacting lithium cell production, including costs to install and operate machinery, labor, cycle times, and unplanned downtime. Looking at both pouch-shaped lithium cells and the cylindrical cells favored by Tesla, the CMU researchers found that economies of scale level off by 1 GWh—a volume already achieved by Panasonic and other battery makers. “Beyond 1 GWh, you’re just building multiple parallel manufacturing processes. There’s not any savings from having bigger machines,” says Rebecca Ciez, a doctoral student who conducted the study with CMU’s Jay Whitacre, an engineering professor and founder of battery startup Aquion Energy.
Muro of the Brookings Institution says assembling the Gigafactory’s workforce may also be a challenge. Tesla has promised to hire half of the Gigafactory’s projected 6,000 workers in-state. That could be tough, says Muro. A 2014 report that he coauthored on the Nevada economy identified a “proficiency crisis” in the state’s [grossly underfunded] science, technology, engineering, and math education.

In conclusion, if you have a dumb idea, come to Nevada and we'll throw buttloads of public money at it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cheese posted:

More lanes and more roads leading to more cars and no real change in traffic is basically one of the best understood and widely accepted principles of modern urban planning. Cars are really, really lovely at moving people.

Yeah, but that is also the one fact about traffic design people know so it is slowly morphing into some weird idea that all roads are exactly identical and that a 1 lane gravel road that loops around and around and that has a stop light every 10 feet is exactly identical to a 12 lane limited access highway. Because everyone learned "adding lanes doesn't necessarily reduce congestion"

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but that is also the one fact about traffic design people know so it is slowly morphing into some weird idea that all roads are exactly identical and that a 1 lane gravel road that loops around and around and that has a stop light every 10 feet is exactly identical to a 12 lane limited access highway. Because everyone learned "adding lanes doesn't necessarily reduce congestion"
Except we don't live in a world where a new 12 lane limited access highway would be created, because it is economically and politically unfeasible, and sometimes even physically impossible. New construction is so lagged behind demand for it that spending 50 million to add another lane to a freeway already way beyond capacity doesn't do poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Except we don't live in a world where a new 12 lane limited access highway would be created, because it is economically and politically unfeasible, and sometimes even physically impossible. New construction is so lagged behind demand for it that spending 50 million to add another lane to a freeway already way beyond capacity doesn't do poo poo.

It doesn't do poo poo because it turns out the right way to fix a freeway beyond capacity is to reduce demand, not increase capacity.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i'm impressed you keep hammering on this point despite multiple people explaining over and over how you're wrong in many different ways. if only you could be so stubborn about asking for raises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

they're still cheap relative to who they are replacing. a developer at google or fb can make $200-300k pretty easily. they can bid $150k on h1bs to put to work optimizing ads, starving out industries that can't afford to meet that $150k and put a bunch of high earning americans out of work

I don't think this is quite the case. The highest paying H1B jobs are healthcare and law, not tech, so it is not a foregone conclusion that an auction based system will just result in 100% of H1Bs going to the tech industry.

With regards to your second point, H1Bs currently make market rates right now at top tech companies. In reality, anyone who can get a job at one of those is likely to be able to get a job at similarly selective companies, resulting in a reasonably efficient market. A developer at e.g. Google making $300k a year is generally acknowledged (avoiding the argument as to whether that is actually true or not) to be generating way more value to the company than his total compensation, meaning that the incentive to replace him with someone making $150k isn't all that high. Conversely, severely restricting access to the labor market for the likes of Infosys and Tata, whose entire model is built around undercutting American wages and eliminating the need for individual companies to hire their own tech workers, is going to be unequivocally good for American programmer wages overall.

You can certainly argue that this isn't the best implementation of the system and that perhaps individual disciplines should have sub-quotas (I already mentioned academia as one), but the status quo is over 70% of H1Bs going to STEM disciplines and over 50% going to tech. There's a lot of gains to be had from just improving efficiency in those categories.