Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tap my mountain posted:

So do you get to switch freely between characters a little ways in or is it only at the very end of the game like 5?
Like 5.

edit: wait actually no, you can't switch until Premium Adventure I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just did the Miracle Johnson substory and he is amazing. I chose the black box -- what is in the white?

You will get some more quests in that line. Always choose black until you get the Encounter Finder, it's invaluable for making money because it shows you where Mr. Shakedown is.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Stelas posted:

You will get some more quests in that line. Always choose black until you get the Encounter Finder, it's invaluable for making money because it shows you where Mr. Shakedown is.

poo poo i took the white box because i thought that miracle johnson preferred white

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish I could remember where I got it because the Trouble Finder is top tier equipment.

(It shows you where sidequests are on the map.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

poo poo i took the white box because i thought that miracle johnson preferred white

specifically it's substory 23 that has that reward, not the first Miracle one, so you might still be in luck

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are there missable sidequests?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

OK Majima's intro scene and fight is probably my favorite scene in the series. It was not what I was expecting at all.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Slugger style owns Mr.Shakedown, still have to pop some staminans, but easy money.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

fadam posted:

Are there missable sidequests?

Nope. Only a handful of missable trophies.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Stelas posted:

Nope. Only a handful of missable trophies.

What are they?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

fadam posted:

What are they?

There's 8 of them.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Almost beat 800 million yen Shakedown, he was at 1/4 health but at that point if you get knocked down and he follows up, he will kill you, kinda BS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a chart of yakuza heirarchy out there?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a chart of yakuza heirarchy out there?

Like what? Like in general?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza#Structure

In the Yakuza games, Kiryu belonged to the Dojima Clan, a subsidiary of the larger Tojo Clan. The rivaling clans to Tojo are the Omi Alliance and Ueno Seiwa and each group have many different clans under them that make up their ranks with their own clan patriarch and under them their Captain which is 2nd in command and the lieutenants.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I meant more in general. But the catch up is also helpful.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

HORMELCHILI posted:

I'd assumed it didn't matter if it's black or white

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Tunahead posted:

The beginning of Chapter 2 is precisely when everything opens up, including the arcades.

It's 1988 though so there's no Virtua Fighter. You initially get Outrun and Space Harrier and crane games.

FFFFFFFffffffuck

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Night Blade posted:

FFFFFFFffffffuck

Look on the bright side: Yakuza 6 has Virtua Fighter 5!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Night Blade posted:

FFFFFFFffffffuck

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does the US version allow screenshots outside of premium adventure mode or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the US version allow screenshots outside of premium adventure mode or something?

I just have a screen capture device so I don't worry about that bullshit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been taking plenty of screenshots with no issue. They have a slightly annoying Sega watermark in the bottom corner, but yeah, I've got screenshots of gameplay, cutscenes, and boss fights, no problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I just have a screen capture device so I don't worry about that bullshit.
I have one too but when I got the PS4 Pro I wanted to set it to output in 4K and my device doesn't support that. So, I'm back to dealing with Japan's weird recording restrictions. Gravity Daze 2 doesn't have them though so it's okay.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

Where is this survey? I can't find it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I knew it was a good idea to do some sidestories while wearing glasses.

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/824942599400148992

justdan posted:

Where is this survey? I can't find it.

You can access it in the game's page in the homescreen on the PS4 itself. It's a super long link to type out.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yakuza Series drinking game : Drink when the word "traitor/betrayal" (uragiri(mono)) are said.

Finish the bottle if actual betrayal happens

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 27, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I take it Rush Mode isn't that great against bosses, since it didn't work very well against the first one for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I take it Rush Mode isn't that great against bosses, since it didn't work very well against the first one for me.

It depends. If you're good at bobbing and weaving it's amazing against bosses but it's probably the most effort to payoff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

The real challenge will be to time a screenshot perfectly so that the SEGA watermark covers something in a funny way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

I think Rush Mode would be extremely useful against a boss if you don't want to or can't take any hits. It requires the most patience, like ImpAtom says up there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

It depends. If you're good at bobbing and weaving it's amazing against bosses but it's probably the most effort to payoff.

Is there some trick to dizzying people with it since it seems to happen so rarely at the moment, they're usually dead before it happens.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in the brawl leading up to the first boss fight there's some dude who keeps coming back after you knock him out, the last time he comes back with a knife and does these big lunges, i used Rush Mode to deal with that guy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there some trick to dizzying people with it since it seems to happen so rarely at the moment, they're usually dead before it happens.

If you want to dizzy don't ever use the finishing blows, just mash square

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Mahjong: What is the Round Wind? I get that your Seat Wind refers to your seat in the table.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yakuza Series drinking game : Drink when the word "traitor/betrayal" (uragiri(mono)) are said.

Finish the bottle if actual betrayal happens

Christ, Yakuza 4's final chapters would kill you if you played them too fast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlestonJew posted:

If you want to dizzy don't ever use the finishing blows, just mash square

Ohhhh thanks

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sakurazuka posted:

It seems to take about 1.5 full square combos but if you knock them down it resets.

I've discovered Rush is actually good for earning cash early in the game since the stunned heat move can get you the double KO bonus if you whittle down all the guys' health beforehand.

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I could remember where I got it because the Trouble Finder is top tier equipment.

(It shows you where sidequests are on the map.)
oh god someone please tell me how to get this. I'm going to go insane without it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 27, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

At the same time, the boss fight in the sewer I was able to beat entirely by spamming the Square attack in rush mode at full Heat. I was going so fast, the boss only had time to hit me once the whole time.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Sindai posted:

oh god someone please tell me how to get this. I'm going to go insane without it.

You get it from doing the sidequest with the tax lady, which starts automatically after you defeat the computer king. So as early as chapter 5 if you focus on business stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sindai posted:

Apparently Majima gets his from the friendship with the chef in Komian. I can't find anything for kiryu's.