Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
The buisness stuff is great, it's pretty much a game in itself, I just took over the first district and will be going for all of them before clearing the game :)

I hope the sale of this game are great so all the future titles get released in us and eu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I started the real estate thinking it didn't pay out nearly as much as it should and then 20 minutes later I own almost all of the first district and money is pouring in.

Where does the money go when you invest in yourself, do you just swallow it all?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

Where does the money go when you invest in yourself, do you just swallow it all?

Close, it goes up your nose :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tap my mountain posted:

I started the real estate thinking it didn't pay out nearly as much as it should and then 20 minutes later I own almost all of the first district and money is pouring in.

It goes to paying hobos to punch you

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
They carefully rub each bill on their biceps and calves one by one, alternating until every one has been absorbed.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Remember how the villains in Scott Pilgrim burst into coins when they were defeated? You're doing the opposite: dumping money in yourself to make your punches hit harder.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I have to say the CP and money systems are a clever way to encourage players to explore all the side stuff and I'm going to end up doing a lot more of it in this one than any of the others.

Probably still not going to learn Shogi or Mahjong though. :effort:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

I have to say the CP and money systems are a clever way to encourage players to explore all the side stuff and I'm going to end up doing a lot more of it in this one than any of the others.

Probably still not going to learn Shogi or Mahjong though. :effort:

I actually kind of like mahjong, even if it took me a while to realize that actively melding groups only works if you are going for specific hands.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
drat, this game really makes bubble era look cool. Just like this music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LdPx3nGXk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm streaming a bunch of this game today. I'm not funny or anything, but neither are most streamers, so that's okay! My twitch channel is AquariumTrees. :)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

I'd assumed it didn't matter if it's black or white

This deserves more love as it was really quite subtle but made me chuckle :)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love the money comparisons this game has. I just went to the results screen after a random fight and was told my 188292 yen was similar to 1569 energy drinks. Thats the best comparison.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So what's the relationship between Majima and Kiryu in the other games? They enemies or somethin?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Detective No. 27 posted:

So what's the relationship between Majima and Kiryu in the other games? They enemies or somethin?

Rivals mostly in the beginning. Majima remains in Tojo Clan and ends up being a patriarch in later games and is used as a plot device in 4 and 5. At that point it is a relationship of mutual respect. The end of 5 sorta enforces it when it comes to not wanting to harm Haruka (Kiryu's adoptive daughter since 1) while under duress of the main antagonist.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 28, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

He's basically his frienemy.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Frenemies.

They are friends but has tried pretty hard to kill Kiryu.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Detective No. 27 posted:

In Yakuza 1, Majima is a secondary antagonist who insists that only he can be the one to defeat Kiryu.

By Yakuza 3, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbFuJKfk5E

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well that is fun. I should play through 3 and 4 after this, since I've had them on my shelf for years. Really regretting not putting Yakuza 5 in my library while it was on PS+ that month.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If you like Majima, you should definitely play 4 and 5, because Majima and Saejima is some of the best Majima.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You should also be excited for Yakuza Kiwami this Summer, as they added Majima all over that remake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was a bit weary of leaving hard-edged Ryo Hazuki to play as Majima, but that was one hell of an introduction.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

majima is really way more fun

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best part of dead souls was majima

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This one is a hell of a lot harder than any other game in the series. I died 5 times in 2 hours, that's more than I Game Overed in Yakuza 3 and 4 combined.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best part of dead souls was majima

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

This one is a hell of a lot harder than any other game in the series. I died 5 times in 2 hours, that's more than I Game Overed in Yakuza 3 and 4 combined.

Do you have the Charismatic Autobiography equipped? If so, that is why.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Game is great. Slot car races are great. Substories are great.

Mahjong sucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Game is great. Slot car races are great. Substories are great.

Mahjong sucks.

Can't win 'em all.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I've been struggling beating the score for OutRun for that friendship :argh:

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Where do you get more slot car parts? I got the..I think it was called God Battery from the Dream Vending Machine, so my car's stupidly fast but it always drives right off the track. I've only got enough gauge to mash O twice a race, but this little bastard tries to fly off the track 2-3 times a lap. :argh:

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
as Kiryu, how do you go about purchasing extra properties? I've got the first one that it gets you to buy, but how do I know whats for sale and what isnt, and then how do i go about buying them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Copper For Lyfe posted:

as Kiryu, how do you go about purchasing extra properties? I've got the first one that it gets you to buy, but how do I know whats for sale and what isnt, and then how do i go about buying them?

Honestly, you just look for buildings that kinda stand out, go up to them and mash X. (Or just look for Look prompt while walking past.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Furnaceface posted:

Mahjong sucks.

mahjong is actually very very good

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Copper For Lyfe posted:

http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/moneyisland.html

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"I'll make an offer...in cash!" does not happen nearly enough for my tastes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hit Chapter 6 and been poking around with the real estate stuff, seems real good for bringing in money after the initial investments. Sidestories continue to be good. Still a great game.

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/825243286054899712

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I never thought I'd ask my grandmother for help with a video game, but mine is a mahjong champion (of her retirement community) I bet should would kick some rear end

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Trying to earn the CP for mahjong in Yakuza 0 is a bit annoying. The high-end tables go for hands that are as fast as possible, and while that makes sense from an AI standpoint it also makes for really irritating play.

I wrote a Mahjong For Idiots primer for a previous Yakuza thread, here it is again:

BASIC poo poo
  • You're trying to make 4 sets of 3 tiles, either a triplet (5-5-5) or a straight (2-3-4). On top of that, you want a pair. The trick is that in order to win you have to make your hand 'valid'. You do this by getting certain special hands, called yaku. Getting multiple yaku in the same hand is how you score big.
  • Don't always pick poo poo up if you're given the offer. You can complete a set of 3 with an opponent's tile, but this will 'open' your hand. Not doing this (keeping it 'concealed') is a prereq for many common yaku, and will make others give you more points. You can gently caress yourself or the value of your hand doing this.
  • Pon - a triplet. Chi - a straight. Kan - a set of four. Riichi - Declaring you're one tile off winning. Ron - Winning by picking up someone else's tile. Tsumo - Winning by drawing your own tile.
QUICK LIST OF COMMON HANDS - *** means concealed only.
  • *** The simplest way to win is by calling riichi (PRESS SQUARE TO DO THIS) when you're one tile away from winning, regardless of hand. Once you call riichi you can't change your hand, so don't do this if things look dicey. Must be concealed when you call riichi.
  • Scrubby quick tier (allows you to open your hand and win quickly. Dora (see below) are important for making these actually worth a drat):
    • Get a triplet / kan of dragons.
    • Get a triplet / kan of the round wind (see the middle - it'll be East or South.)
    • Get a triplet / kan of your wind (see next to your name.)
  • Pretty common, and much better if concealed / including a riichi:
    • *** 4 straights. This only counts if you're not waiting on the middle tile of a straight (i.e. 6-8).
    • *** Get two copies of a straight, e.g. (5-5-6-6-7-7)
    • Only use tiles 2-8.
    • Only get triplets / kans. (This is not a high scoring hand but if you start with a lot of pairs it does leave you super free to pick up people's tiles)
    • Get the same straight in every suit. (1-2-3 bamboo, 1-2-3 characters, 1-2-3 circles)
  • Fiddly:
    • Involve a special tile (1, 9, dragon or wind) in each part of your hand, pair included. (1-2-3 7-8-9 1-2-3 Red-Red-Red White-White, for instance)
    • Get a full straight, e.g. (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9)
    • *** Seven pairs. Y5 had a trophy around getting this loving hand together.
  • NB: You cannot ron if you have previously discarded a tile you could have won with! This is furiten and the biggest reason you can't complete a given hand. If you get into this situation, try to rework your hand a little to get out of furiten. Don't riichi, because you'll be proper hosed.
OTHER STUFF THAT GIVES POINTS
  • That tile in the middle is the dora indicator. Try to work the tile one number above it into your hand for extra points, multiple times if you can.
  • Calling riichi and then winning gets you a second one, but you don't know what it is 'til points are tallied.
  • Calling kan will get you another two. (Again, be careful you don't open your hand if you don't want to! If you collect all 4 tiles of a given type, you can call kan yourself with square. This is a 'concealed' kan and doesn't open your hand.)
  • If you're playing ranked, look out for red 5 tiles, and use them in your hand rather than normal 5s.
DEFENDING
  • If someone else calls riichi and you're nowhere near a full hand, consider playing defensive. To do this, look at their discards. Because of furiten, all those tiles face up in front of them are totally safe. Stick to those where you can.
  • Also check what other players have discarded since the riichi call. Those tiles must be safe too, or the guy would've won off them.
  • If you're out of tiles, or you want to keep most of your hand in hopes of winning, you have some options. Have they thrown away a bunch of 1s and 9s? He's probably trying for the hand that doesn't use them, so they're probably safe. Do you have a wind tile or a dragon, and there are 2 of the same tile in people's discards? Those are probably safe because 99% of the time they're used for triplets. (In general, pitch them when 2 have been discarded.)
  • If all that fails, then try to discard something that's 3 away from a tile your opponent has put down. The reasoning here is that, if your opponent has discarded a (3 bamboo), he can't be waiting on (4-5 bamboo) because he could have won with that 3. So, a 6 is somewhat safer than any alternatives.
  • If possible, try to reach the end of the round in a situation where you'd only need one tile to complete a hand. In this case, yaku don't matter - as long as you could make 4 sets of 3 and a pair, you'll get some consolation points at the end, so open your hand or go furiten if need be.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 30, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize this game featured Sotenbori from Yakuza 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Remember the days when we almost didn't even get Yakuza 3 at all? Lol funny times, I tell ya.