Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Asimo posted:

Yeah, the only real value of a circus was basically finding a way to waste a day with a novel diversion, and that basically became obsolete once the television rolled around. Let alone the internet.

I don't know if OSHA had anything to do with it. They were the ones that told SeaWorld that no, it is not OK to expose your employees to the risk of being killed by animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CubanMissile posted:

Are there fifty articles now blaming millenials for killing the circus?
Give it time

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bonzo posted:

We interrupt Teacher Derail Chat to tell you that American Apparel is closing stores.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/06/news/companies/american-apparel-closing-stores-layoffs/

This is from 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Boywhiz88 posted:

This is from 2015

It stopped the derail though.

Anyway, here http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/American-Apparel-to-close-all-of-its-stores-10857158.php

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I bought some Gildan undershirts from Walmart months ago and they're poo poo. I am 100% sure Gildan will pump out a ton of low cost manure with the American Apparel label, made by the lowest paid employees on substandard machinery in the dankest factory they can find.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I last took my kid to a Shriner circus. They still have people who look like truck stop employees getting into cages with tigers so that's kind of cool.

I don't mind the circus closing, but it was an unique throwback in that everything still traveled by rail and they have to literally find housing for some of their employees because they have no homes and just lived in the circus.

The article I read said some employees would find work in the parent company's other traveling shows. So the Frozen on Ice staff better get ready for some hot carny action.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm glad I got to go to the Barnum & Bailey circus when I was younger. I don't remember a whole lot about the actual show, but I do remember coming home with a sweet sword/flashlight thing and some cool glow-in-the-dark rings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mostly remember that goat they glued a horn to and called an unicorn.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Strategic Tea posted:

...Fireworks displays?...

I would totally go to the traveling fireworks display. gently caress this twice a year, national birthday and new years poo poo. I want to watch some in loving march.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I would totally go to the traveling fireworks display. gently caress this twice a year, national birthday and new years poo poo. I want to watch some in loving march.

Move to Orlando and you can see them every day.

Even from your house if you want.

Or don't want but your neighbors don't care what you think.

Also at Disney World.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero One posted:

Move to Orlando and you can see them every day.

Even from your house if you want.

Or don't want but your neighbors don't care what you think.

Also at Disney World.

The public can't buy the really good fireworks anymore, though. :saddowns:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

Yeah, the only real value of a circus was basically finding a way to waste a day with a novel diversion, and that basically became obsolete once the television rolled around. Let alone the internet.

The internet is actually what did it. All the stuff you went to the circus to see you can just watch on demand on YouTube now. On demand video is causing all sorts of financial misery for so much of the entertainment industry.

All the animal rights criticism also didn't help. The internet of course had its hand in that too; suddenly it became balls easy for people to find out just how terribly the animals get treated by the circus. That and people are overall realizing just how smart some animals are; elephants especially. When a video of a rather bright animal being chained to a concrete floor all alone "until its will is broken" actually bothers a significant amount of people.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The internet is actually what did it. All the stuff you went to the circus to see you can just watch on demand on YouTube now. On demand video is causing all sorts of financial misery for so much of the entertainment industry.

All the animal rights criticism also didn't help. The internet of course had its hand in that too; suddenly it became balls easy for people to find out just how terribly the animals get treated by the circus. That and people are overall realizing just how smart some animals are; elephants especially. When a video of a rather bright animal being chained to a concrete floor all alone "until its will is broken" actually bothers a significant amount of people.

Don't doxx my job

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

whiteyfats posted:

The public can't buy the really good fireworks anymore, though. :saddowns:

Legally maybe. I'm sure there's ways to buy sickass illegal ones like my dad used to back in the day. I mean, we can order poo poo online like murderlasers and knives that explodes things after they're stabbed

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you can cross the state line to either Georgia or Alabama and still get good ones, but I may be wrong.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The irony is it only bothered people who were not attending circuses. When they cut out the elephants Ringling Brothers a business-killing drop in ticket sales because circus-goers wanted to see some loving elephants.

They were going to go out of business regardless anyway, but they definitely sped it along by trying to be all progressive.

I kind of want to see a Venn diagram of Circus-goers and Trump supporters.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

The irony is it only bothered people who were not attending circuses. When they cut out the elephants Ringling Brothers a business-killing drop in ticket sales because circus-goers wanted to see some loving elephants.

They were going to go out of business regardless anyway, but they definitely sped it along by trying to be all progressive.

Not abusing animals is "trying to be all progressive?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Senor Dog posted:

Not abusing animals is "trying to be all progressive?"

When abusing animals is the norm.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The UniverSoul Circus is still around, apparently.

http://www.universoulcircus.com/

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think a bigger factor is that they didn't really have the talent to replace the elephant acts. Cirque du Soleil essentially has all of the high-end acrobatic talent in North America on lock. They pay better and are more prestigious (not to mention that having a chance to have a steady life in Vegas is better than touring all summer).

You could replace an elephant act with a "holy poo poo that's awesome" A-level trapeze/high-wire/etc act, but those kind of acts aren't around anymore. (They still had good acrobatic acts, but didn't have the world-class kind of acts they would need to replace something like elephants and lions.)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Feld has a bunch of other properties going, like Monster Jam and assorted licensed shows. I don't think the circus folding is a big loss for them, but I might be mistaken.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Double Punctuation posted:

Feld has a bunch of other properties going, like Monster Jam and assorted licensed shows. I don't think the circus folding is a big loss for them, but I might be mistaken.

They run the Disney/Marvel On Ice stuff too, so they're going to be just fine. They'll probably shuffle some of their ex-circus workers into those productions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Circuses also used to be more like a fair- you had the main tent with the big acts, and also the sideshow, and dancing girls (pseudo-strippers basically), and magic acts, and so on. There are still street fairs and county fairs and such, all that's died is the three ring "elephants and clowns and tightrope acts" stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Clothing retailer Wet Seal is shutting down. It had 171 stores.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

I mostly remember that goat they glued a horn to and called an unicorn.

Seems to me it would be cheaper to just cut off one of it's horns.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The other day I stopped by a KMart on my way home since it's closing and there was a dude with a table just inside trying to pitch subscriptions to the local paper.

I thought it was kind of fitting to find one dying business inside another.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Greatbacon posted:

The other day I stopped by a KMart on my way home since it's closing and there was a dude with a table just inside trying to pitch subscriptions to the local paper.

Is that unique? I see the newspaper guy a lot in the local Kroger.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rough Lobster posted:

Legally maybe. I'm sure there's ways to buy sickass illegal ones like my dad used to back in the day. I mean, we can order poo poo online like murderlasers and knives that explodes things after they're stabbed

I didn't initially read the post you quoted and assumed you were talking about elephants. :stare:

Just saw a sign on the road that said the local K-Mart is closing. I'll be in the same plaza grocery shopping tomorrow and may check it out.

Edit: went and it was really underwhelming and not worth posting a real trip report over. Basically anything worth a drat was already gone and the rest of it wasn't worth the % off. It was slightly less messy than expected and much busier than I'd ever seen it.

Quiet Feet has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Jan 28, 2017

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Bye Bye HMV Canada. Overpriced CD's, overpriced DVD's and then overpriced thinkgeek poo poo.

*salutes toilet as it flushes*

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/struggling-hmv-canada-goes-into-receivership-1.3956302

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

overpriced thinkgeek poo poo.

Well at least I can get the same quality merch at EB/GameStop

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Bye Bye HMV Canada. Overpriced CD's, overpriced DVD's and then overpriced thinkgeek poo poo.

*salutes toilet as it flushes*

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/struggling-hmv-canada-goes-into-receivership-1.3956302

As an American fan of the Matthew Good Band, I have fond memories of buying music online from HMV back in the day because they often had stuff that wasn't released in the US for about what it would've cost of it had been. This is when the exchange rates meant that any order with more than 2-3 items was cheaper than Amazon. Eventually I switched to MyMusic.ca, which effectively used this sort of currency arbitrage as their entire business model. That was certainly a different era.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Decrepus posted:

I don't know if OSHA had anything to do with it. They were the ones that told SeaWorld that no, it is not OK to expose your employees to the risk of being killed by animals.

I'm on board with a lot of the other reasons for not liking marine mammal parks, but when I read "Death at Sea World" this sort of felt like a dick move from OSHA specifically to target them. If you can't be in the water with whales because they MIGHT go crazy on someone from time to time, why hasn't OSHA shut down PBR when Bushwhacker and his colleagues come out of the gate fully intending to buck, stomp, gore, the bullrider within eight seconds EVERY SINGLE loving TIME?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
You could make the argument that PBR has appropriate safety precautions in place and marine parks don't and frankly probably cant

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I feel like there's a lot of qualitative difference between deciding you're going to be a rodeo bullrider and then having a bull do exactly what you chose to make the bull do on purpose, vs being a teenager taking a summer job at a theme park and then getting surprise-eaten by an orca?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

InediblePenguin posted:

I feel like there's a lot of qualitative difference between deciding you're going to be a rodeo bullrider and then having a bull do exactly what you chose to make the bull do on purpose, vs being a teenager taking a summer job at a theme park and then getting surprise-eaten by an orca?

I'm pretty sure they don't let teenage summer help in the water with the orcas. I think it was one of the trainers who was killed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Bull and bronc riding anticipate that the animal is going to be hostile and make allowances for that; riders wear safety gear and there's a whole system for preventing goring and trampling. And even then, the biggest danger is a bad landing when you're thrown.

I don't know what allowances you can make for not getting eaten by apex-predator of the sea that isn't just stay away.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

there wolf posted:

Bull and bronc riding anticipate that the animal is going to be hostile and make allowances for that; riders wear safety gear and there's a whole system for preventing goring and trampling. And even then, the biggest danger is a bad landing when you're thrown.

I don't know what allowances you can make for not getting eaten by apex-predator of the sea that isn't just stay away.

Those clown fellows at the rodeo seem on the ball, lets toss a few in the tank and see how they fare.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PallasAthene posted:

I'm on board with a lot of the other reasons for not liking marine mammal parks, but when I read "Death at Sea World" this sort of felt like a dick move from OSHA specifically to target them. If you can't be in the water with whales because they MIGHT go crazy on someone from time to time, why hasn't OSHA shut down PBR when Bushwhacker and his colleagues come out of the gate fully intending to buck, stomp, gore, the bullrider within eight seconds EVERY SINGLE loving TIME?

You're right. That should be done away with too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't let teenage summer help in the water with the orcas. I think it was one of the trainers who was killed.

Yeah, she was a senior trainer who'd been working there for years. The whale that got her was one that nobody was allowed in the water with because he had a history of incidents. The book talks about how leading up to that there were quite a few injuries that were regular "20 foot whale bumped into me at 15 mph and broke my nose because he was looking at a fish the other trainer was holding" type stuff. Enough that even if a newbie had no idea that they were called "killer whales" before "orca" became the preferred term, there would still be no question that they were dangerous.

I'm not going out of my way to defend Sea World...I hate seeing a goldfish in a non-filtered/aerated bowl, I can imagine how much it sucks to be a whale in a tank that small...I just got the feeling that OSHA thing was their way of "This'll shut 'em down" by "protecting people" on a sort of case by case/subjective basis, instead of just working to get rid of the marine mammal parks from the ground up.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

You're right. That should be done away with too.

I'm not sure if you're trolling me, but if OSHA came out and said "Any job where you're in close contact with potentially dangerous animals as a form of entertainment is now over with for the employees' safety" then I'd get it. To me, it's like saying "Commercial tuna fishing boats are dangerous to the occupants and nobody can use them anymore...However, commercial swordfishing boats, which have similar incident statistics, will remain legal."

But I only read one book about it. For all I know, bull riders, snake charmers, lion tamers, and Miccosukee alligator wrestlers have a powerful dangerous animal lobby in DC that Sea World never had the sense to join.