Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrWillsauce

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chinese-salad-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656838&userid=49474

It's fun to browse just one person's contributions to the thread and see all the great stuff they've made. There's your go-to for great bread Pogi

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i think i killed my nukadoko. it went from smelling like good sourdough starter to sort of feet-y and i'm gonna toss it. :( i used 13% salt to the weight of the wheat bran per gardenbetty's blog on it; somehow i think it wasn't enough. i lost a bunch of radish and turnip pickles. any protips on winter-weather nukadoko habitats? i don't have indoor heating that is turned on at all, and the ambient temperature stays right at 58F.

joke_explainer

Terrible feeling when something like that goes wrong. I had a nice levain started for like 4 days and it seemed to be coming together awesome, but the final step was to remove all but 100g and so much was sticking to the sides, that was basically all that was left. I re-fed it but it did not come back to life; next day it smelled terrible and was clearly not growing properly. Haven't tried it again since

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

Terrible feeling when something like that goes wrong. I had a nice levain started for like 4 days and it seemed to be coming together awesome, but the final step was to remove all but 100g and so much was sticking to the sides, that was basically all that was left. I re-fed it but it did not come back to life; next day it smelled terrible and was clearly not growing properly. Haven't tried it again since

it probably would have been fine! you should have just kept feeding it.

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

i think i killed my nukadoko. it went from smelling like good sourdough starter to sort of feet-y and i'm gonna toss it. :( i used 13% salt to the weight of the wheat bran per gardenbetty's blog on it; somehow i think it wasn't enough. i lost a bunch of radish and turnip pickles. any protips on winter-weather nukadoko habitats? i don't have indoor heating that is turned on at all, and the ambient temperature stays right at 58F.

i did have a pipe dream one time about replacing the thermostat on an old minifridge w/ an arduino to make it hold 55c or whatever for desem but thats as far as it went

e: everything I know about nukadoko i just learned right now so take this with a grain of salt, but my advice based on keeping sourdough starter alive for a year is it's probably a lot harder to mess up and easier to fix than you think. Also, a new culture can take weeks to stabilize and stop smelling a little funky (and im guessing this will be a little slower since you're not churning through 90% of your grain every day). I say be patient and keep feeding it and see if it comes around

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 10, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

how long has it smelled feet-y? in the sour sense or in the sulfur sense? if it's only been a day or two, the bed is probably salvagable, but needs to be stirred more frequently, at least twice a day until it normalizes. you may need more mustard. i also added in more ginger when mine got a little shirty on me and more veggies since they carry a lot of the colonies i wanted. i definitely don't think you need more salt as things stand -- 13% is a lot of salt. too much moisture might be a problem, though. i managed this with

were you turning it every day? it really needs turned a minimum of once per day, every day. how wet was it? what add-ins were there? nukadoko does end up with a more sour smell, but it shouldn't ever be off-putting. gardenbetty's article looks mostly like it was lifted from the book i originally learned about nukadoko, at least in the troubleshooting section, so it should be mostly correct. 58F might actually be a touch cold for the nukadoko, so it's possible that less friendly germs took hold. when your place is colder, consider reducing the amount of salt (add a bit more bran and water to bring it back to the wet sand consistency).

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

POOL IS CLOSED

Well, I'm gonna double post about

Preserved Lemons

Preserved lemons are awesome. First of all, you can use 'em to make this delicious chicken tagine. You can also use them to make salad dressing, or include them for seasoning and fragrance in any papillote/cocotte recipe (that one has a dumb autoplay video, but still).

They're also kinda expensive and sometimes hard to find, and for some reason, a lot of online recipes don't tell you the salt to lemon ratio. Well, I say to h*ck with that. Here's how I make preserved lemons without a brine.

Once the current madness blows over & some more time has elapsed, I'll show you guys some spicy pix of my current batch.

You need: lemons, salt, a big food-safe & air-tight container. Optional: whole spices (bay leaves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cloves, whatever).

Get as many meyer or even regular lemons as you want. Meyer lemons are "in season" now, whatever that means in a post-seasonal food world. Do your best to get unblemished, ripe lemons that feel a little heavier than they look. If you find that some lemons are a bit gouged up later, though, that's okay. They can still participate in a different fashion. Also get some kosher or pickling salt. You don't want iodized/Morton's-style salt, because the extra additives can impart weird flavors.

Sort your lemons: any hosed up lemons go in one pile, the pretty lemons go in another. Pick any remaining stem off the pretty lemons. Weigh them lemons, then calculate 3% of that weight. I do this poo poo in grams because I'm too dumb to handle ounces without a calculator.

Whatever 3% of the weight of your good lemons is, that's how much salt you need. If you opt to include whole spices, you should weigh them with the pretty lemons so that you include their weight into your salt calculation.

Sprinkle some of that salt into the bottom of your container of choice.

Wash your lemons and dry 'em. Take your pretty lemons and cut them starting at the stem end and heading toward the nipple end. Don't cut all the way through. Then repeat crosswise, like you're going to slice the lemon into four wedges. If you accidentally cut all the way through, that's okay. You can use those pieces to fill in the gaps when you stuff your container with salty as h*ck lemons. Rub the outside of your sliced up lemons with salt, sprinkle some more inside, then put the lemon in the container. Sprinkle some more salt on top. Repeat with the rest of your pretty onions.

You might need to press on your lemons to get them all to fit in your container, which is Fine and Good. You want salty lemon juice to mostly fill up the container and cover your lemons, much like the process of making sauerkraut or other fermented foods. Once you've gotten all your lemons in the container, pour in the rest of the measured salt. Your lemons should be packed in there nice and tight, like a bunch of nice-smelling, yellow sardines.

Cut the peel off the rest of the h*cked up lemons if you like using citrus peel for stuff. Then juice 'em, strain out the seeds, and pour the juice into the container. I usually add some extra salt at this point to make up for the lemon juice diluting everything. You probably won't manage to cover your lemons, but that's fine. The salt will draw more moisture out of the lemons in time.

Seal 'er up. Let this poo poo sit somewhere that's dark and relatively cool for about a month; the lemons will become tender. The longer the lemons develop, the more the flavor improves, but about a month in is when they get good enough to start using. Once they're ready to start using, refrigerate them and have a good time.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

well gosh, I'm gonna have to preserve some h*cking lemons

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

how long has it smelled feet-y? in the sour sense or in the sulfur sense? if it's only been a day or two, the bed is probably salvagable, but needs to be stirred more frequently, at least twice a day until it normalizes. you may need more mustard. i also added in more ginger when mine got a little shirty on me and more veggies since they carry a lot of the colonies i wanted. i definitely don't think you need more salt as things stand -- 13% is a lot of salt. too much moisture might be a problem, though. i managed this with

were you turning it every day? it really needs turned a minimum of once per day, every day. how wet was it? what add-ins were there? nukadoko does end up with a more sour smell, but it shouldn't ever be off-putting. gardenbetty's article looks mostly like it was lifted from the book i originally learned about nukadoko, at least in the troubleshooting section, so it should be mostly correct. 58F might actually be a touch cold for the nukadoko, so it's possible that less friendly germs took hold. when your place is colder, consider reducing the amount of salt (add a bit more bran and water to bring it back to the wet sand consistency).

it was feet-y for about 2 days in the sulfur sense before i gave up. i probably oversalted it to begin with :negative: i'll start over. i turn the beds about twice a day; it was pretty wet (slightly wetter than wet sand) and the add-ins were mostly chili, garlic, ginger, kombu and dried mushrooms. i'm going to try putting it over near the kitchen window/stove where it's warmer in the house; my kimchi flourishes at around 58F so this was sad. oh well. :( sorry nuka, you were my baby and i murdered you somehow. i'll try again in the big glass pan.

the kimjang kimchi is looking good; i might make soup with that tonight.

and heck yes, let's have a lemon preservation party in the yob

alnilam

Some old guy invited me to a lemon party once but we didn't preserve any lemons in fact there were no citrus of any kind, i was kinda confused

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i hate it when old guys mix up apples and lemons like that

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bet there was some salt at least

POOL IS CLOSED

no one ever invites me to the lemon parties :(

it was feet-y for about 2 days in the sulfur sense before i gave up. i probably oversalted it to begin with :negative: i'll start over. i turn the beds about twice a day; it was pretty wet (slightly wetter than wet sand) and the add-ins were mostly chili, garlic, ginger, kombu and dried mushrooms. i'm going to try putting it over near the kitchen window/stove where it's warmer in the house; my kimchi flourishes at around 58F so this was sad. oh well. :( sorry nuka, you were my baby and i murdered you somehow. i'll try again in the big glass pan.

the kimjang kimchi is looking good; i might make soup with that tonight.

and heck yes, let's have a lemon preservation party in the yob

yeah, i'm thinkin your place was too cold for the amount of salt. bed was probably a bit too wet too, though it can be hard to tell with wheat bran; it's deceptively fluffy imo. dried apple peel might help your yeasts get a better head start on nukadoko mk. 2.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Well, I'm gonna double post about

Preserved Lemons

Preserved lemons are awesome. First of all, you can use 'em to make this delicious chicken tagine. You can also use them to make salad dressing, or include them for seasoning and fragrance in any papillote/cocotte recipe (that one has a dumb autoplay video, but still).

They're also kinda expensive and sometimes hard to find, and for some reason, a lot of online recipes don't tell you the salt to lemon ratio. Well, I say to h*ck with that. Here's how I make preserved lemons without a brine.

Once the current madness blows over & some more time has elapsed, I'll show you guys some spicy pix of my current batch.

You need: lemons, salt, a big food-safe & air-tight container. Optional: whole spices (bay leaves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cloves, whatever).

Get as many meyer or even regular lemons as you want. Meyer lemons are "in season" now, whatever that means in a post-seasonal food world. Do your best to get unblemished, ripe lemons that feel a little heavier than they look. If you find that some lemons are a bit gouged up later, though, that's okay. They can still participate in a different fashion. Also get some kosher or pickling salt. You don't want iodized/Morton's-style salt, because the extra additives can impart weird flavors.

Sort your lemons: any hosed up lemons go in one pile, the pretty lemons go in another. Pick any remaining stem off the pretty lemons. Weigh them lemons, then calculate 3% of that weight. I do this poo poo in grams because I'm too dumb to handle ounces without a calculator.

Whatever 3% of the weight of your good lemons is, that's how much salt you need. If you opt to include whole spices, you should weigh them with the pretty lemons so that you include their weight into your salt calculation.

Sprinkle some of that salt into the bottom of your container of choice.

Wash your lemons and dry 'em. Take your pretty lemons and cut them starting at the stem end and heading toward the nipple end. Don't cut all the way through. Then repeat crosswise, like you're going to slice the lemon into four wedges. If you accidentally cut all the way through, that's okay. You can use those pieces to fill in the gaps when you stuff your container with salty as h*ck lemons. Rub the outside of your sliced up lemons with salt, sprinkle some more inside, then put the lemon in the container. Sprinkle some more salt on top. Repeat with the rest of your pretty onions.

You might need to press on your lemons to get them all to fit in your container, which is Fine and Good. You want salty lemon juice to mostly fill up the container and cover your lemons, much like the process of making sauerkraut or other fermented foods. Once you've gotten all your lemons in the container, pour in the rest of the measured salt. Your lemons should be packed in there nice and tight, like a bunch of nice-smelling, yellow sardines.

Cut the peel off the rest of the h*cked up lemons if you like using citrus peel for stuff. Then juice 'em, strain out the seeds, and pour the juice into the container. I usually add some extra salt at this point to make up for the lemon juice diluting everything. You probably won't manage to cover your lemons, but that's fine. The salt will draw more moisture out of the lemons in time.

Seal 'er up. Let this poo poo sit somewhere that's dark and relatively cool for about a month; the lemons will become tender. The longer the lemons develop, the more the flavor improves, but about a month in is when they get good enough to start using. Once they're ready to start using, refrigerate them and have a good time.

Want your preserved lemons tomorrow? Take your salt, lemons, and herbs/spices (personally I use bay leaves and peppercorns), combine them in a plastic bag and sous vide at 177F for 12 hours. I also usually quarter/sixth my sous vide preserved lemons rather than doing the "just cut the rind" thing.

shabbat goy

Made a poulet basquaise for date night with some baguettes, but how in the heck do you make those slits without causing the loaves to deflate? It still was very tasty and crusty, but more dense than I'd like. And yes, my knives are very sharp, it didn't seem to make a difference...

POOL IS CLOSED

i've not really had much trouble with deflation when i slice the dough. sharpness is of course a big factor. if you have to press down at all to cut, it's not enough. but the motion you're using might also be a factor. just draw the blade across confidently and quickly. it doesn't have to be effortful levels of speed, just do it like it's natural. you also don't want to make the cuts until literally right before you put them in the oven, or they kinda just dry out instead of directing the bread's rise.

so far i have to admit that a serrated tomato knife is serving me better than an actual bread lame... that's my story, hope it helps.

fwiw those breads look fantastic

MrWillsauce

eatin that drunk grilled cheese at 2am

no pics cause i already ate it

ciabata burns easy but i ate it anway I had to melt that cheese right all the way and it was good

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

started another nukadoko with wheat bran and some apple peels and a bit of korean pear thrown in because i ate the other apple peel and all before i could remember to save the peel. kombu/ginger/garlic/chile ratio is the same, salt is much lower and it's thankfully a tiny bit warmer in here because it's 60F avg ambient for the last few days. fingers and toes crossed--i also lowered the water ratio. i'll check it when i turn it in the morning and i'll pat it down a little firmer too.

re: bread deflation: immediately before you put it in the oven is when you gotta slice those guys, and you want your oven at the hottest right as you put in your bread. it makes for happier results. also i'd eat the heck out of those breads, those are good.

this weekend meat people are coming to my house so i will probably cook them an ossobucco since it is raining and cold af and i can get beef shank bits for $3 a pound right now. the people who are coming have a lot of food allergies so the recipe will likely be: beef, garlic, onion, salt, pepper. nothing else because the traditional vegetables cooked and served in an ossobuco are all allergens and they cannot have any grains, summer or winter squashes, turnips, celery, potatoes or tomatoes. any suggestions for sides? yucca fries? take them out for steak?

joke_explainer

It looks like you pressed down on the dough. You should not have to do that at all. The knife should be doing the work. It should be sharp enough to slice through the dough just by pulling it through with a determined , swift but gentle stroke. 'Iron hand in a velvet glove'.

Make sure your knife is very sharp. Wet the blade before slices if you're dealing with a sticky high hydration dough. I guess some people spray a little oil on there too, idk, never done that.

This guy scores some baguettes really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLnzomvEF8

POOL IS CLOSED

I use me some olive erl because my house is very dry, it seems to work ok

good luck on the nukadoko hamjobs, if you have more questions, i'm glad to lend my humble assistance :)

alnilam

I'm glad I'm not the only one who says it this way to be goofy

POOL IS CLOSED

alnilam posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who says it this way to be goofy

:c00l:

i started doing it because my partner was trolling me by calling it "evoo" all the time. i find "evoo" irrationally irritating!

alnilam

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:c00l:

i started doing it because my partner was trolling me by calling it "evoo" all the time. i find "evoo" irrationally irritating!

:agreed: unless wall-e is the one saying it

POOL IS CLOSED

alnilam posted:

:agreed: unless wall-e is the one saying it

wall-e is the best toaster oven

content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV50GNovh9I

I made this dude's portioned-for-two gratineed onion soup and it turned out really well. I'm still reluctant to post photos for the near future, so enjoy his video instead.

The one thing I improvised was my stock. Previous onion soup attempts demonstrated that broth quality is a big deal (duh). I don't usually have access to beef soup bones, and beef marrow bones aren't ideal unless you can devote time to roasting them, scraping out the marrow, and then defatting the broth the leftover bones make. I don't really feel like putting up with all that.

So I got a stock pot, briefly browned the cut side of a halved onion, tossed in a quartered tomato, probably half a tsp of peppercorns, a bay leaf, about 1.5 quarts of boxed chicken broth, and a patty of lean ground beef. I brought that to a boil, poured in probably half a cup of dry red wine, then turned the heat down and let it simmer for 20 min. I scooped out the big stuff and discarded it, clarified the broth with an egg white, and used the result for the broth in this recipe. It turned out to be very satisfying, so if you ever need beefy broth but don't want to gently caress around with bones, give this a shot.

I got the ground beef tip from an issue Cooks Illustrated years ago but I don't think I ever gave it a shot. For whatever reason, soup bones aren't a thing at my neighborhood grocery stores, but lean ground beef is really doable.

The recipe in the video does make small portions, so if you want to do that for dinner or lunch, you might want to make some other dishes (or at least a nice salad!).

shabbat goy

joke_explainer posted:

It looks like you pressed down on the dough. You should not have to do that at all. The knife should be doing the work. It should be sharp enough to slice through the dough just by pulling it through with a determined , swift but gentle stroke. 'Iron hand in a velvet glove'.

Make sure your knife is very sharp. Wet the blade before slices if you're dealing with a sticky high hydration dough. I guess some people spray a little oil on there too, idk, never done that.

This guy scores some baguettes really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLnzomvEF8

Dang, now I have a use for all those double-edged razor blades I bought pre-beard.

Thanks to you and POOL IS CLOSED for the help + the kind words. More bread this weekend, potentially...

bird.

there was a sale on bagels at safeway, im talking the good kind the big bakery bagels kind with cheddar and jalapenos .... and also there was a sale on roast beef so i've been making toasted jalapeno cheddar bagels with cream cheese and a bit of horseradish sauce and some roast beef and let me tell you i am having the time of my life

alnilam

It's something unforgettable, and in the end it's right
I hope you had the bagel of your life

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i made tamales with sweet corn and homemade cheese and a lot of peppers and didn't gently caress it up. i'll post pictures when poo poo settles again, but basically i just wanna say thank you to my ancestors for figuring out nixtamalization, y'all are the best.

bird.

i made polish sausages hot dog style with cream cheese mixed with curry powder spread on the bun, green onions, diced tomatoes, and bacon bits and it was very good i highly advise

joke_explainer

BrownianMotion posted:

i made polish sausages hot dog style with cream cheese mixed with curry powder spread on the bun, green onions, diced tomatoes, and bacon bits and it was very good i highly advise

did you actually make the sausages too?? we need someone to make another sausage post, its been too long

bird.

joke_explainer posted:

did you actually make the sausages too?? we need someone to make another sausage post, its been too long

no i bought them i don't know how to make polish sausages

MrWillsauce

I made the biggest grilled cheese of my life with some naan it was real good

Piso Mojado

help me settle an argument pls :

best oil for frying eggs

edit: excluding butter obv

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 28, 2017

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

ghee

Piso Mojado

i strongly consider this butter (see edit)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
currently cooking pork shoulder

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought ghee was just the oil part, ok

olive if you like the taste, canola or safflower if you don't

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
weighing in on the fried egg debate: i only use butter

Piso Mojado

Luvcow posted:

weighing in on the fried egg debate: i only use butter

oh really? you dont say? i didnt think about butter :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

Subjunctive posted:

I thought ghee was just the oil part, ok

olive if you like the taste, canola or safflower if you don't

maybe it is, ive never seen it i just always seen it sold in butter like containers