Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Very good advice

Thank you. The stack size one alone is huge for me. Most of the stuff about magic dice and upgrades I've been doing, but it looks like I need to update my mods to get things like the essences. I had known about the Souls themselves because I made a slime staff and that used to be a component of the full summoners soul.

And I think that I'll finally look into the mod hotkeys more than for the boss checklist one, so I can use that recipe browser.

Having looked at some of the stuff involved in some of the mods (Thorium) I am very excited about the future. Chained Dragon head summons right from the start of Hardmode? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Even Yharon get's pretty trivial at the end of this modpack:
https://gfycat.com/MinorBareGiraffe
Spoilers!

I don't think there's much more content you can add to the game when you can hit 100k dps

Garfu fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 29, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Garfu posted:

Spoilers!

I don't think there's much more content you can add to the game when you can hit 100k dps
How the hell are you taking him down so quickly? Yharon is a loving pain in the rear end for me and I'm using the same weapon at +10, plus the two ultimate souls (about 1k damage listed on the book, 116% crit), and every time I win I usually barely scrape through. The fact that he hits for like 200-300 damage sure doesn't help.
I must be doing something wrong.

E: I just noticed you have a "level" readout in the top. That might have something to do with it?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah I guess that mod helps

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Garfu posted:

Yeah I guess that mod helps
What's the name of the mod? Is this Ivysaur's leveling system?
E: Ah, Experience and Classes, I see.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

What's the name of the mod? Is this Ivysaur's leveling system?
E: Ah, Experience and Classes, I see.

Yeah sorry I couldn't think of it and I wasn't at my computer. It definitely adds a lot of damage. I guess my point was when you start piling mods on the content starts to get kind of trivial which isn't really a problem, game's still fun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Does the mod pack add more cool rocket weapons? They're my favorites in the game but there's only like 4 of them vanilla.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

watho posted:

Does the mod pack add more cool rocket weapons? They're my favorites in the game but there's only like 4 of them vanilla.
Yep. It also adds some lower tier (i.e. pre-plantera) rocket launchers, and even adds some equipment and accessories designed for boosting rocket power specifically.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Vib Rib posted:

Yep. It also adds some lower tier (i.e. pre-plantera) rocket launchers, and even adds some equipment and accessories designed for boosting rocket power specifically.

Downloading now!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Absolutely focus on auto chests as soon as possible. They'll give you basic resources in such supply you'll never need to go hunting for them again. This is especially useful for stuff like ores, souls of flight/light/night, fallen stars, pixie dust, etc.
Always keep an eye out for new weapons. You'll likely be leapfrogging new mods, and chances are armor updates will be much scarcer and rarer than new weapons. When you do get new weapons, reforging is important, then use magic dice on them until you find a modifier you like (or just blank one you don't, like Cursed!), then finally apply an upgrade scroll as needed. A +4 is a pretty good start and gives a sizeable boost, though early weapons will see much less benefit from such upgrades. There's even an item customizer that can rename and dye your weapons, and even the projectiles will be dyed as a result, so it can be good for that personal touch.
The in-game boss menu will give you a pretty good guide for what bosses to take on in what order. Hunting late-game bosses will also net you insane amounts of cash, far faster than any coin farm ever would, so if you need money, buy a summon item from the Mutant and fight the hardest boss you can cakewalk. You'll always gain a profit from doing so, and you can sell the items to boot.

The souls are a huge goal, with the ultimate form of them only being attainable after beating the final most bullshit boss ever who makes Moon Lord look easy, Yharon the Jungle Dragon. The souls combine almost every relevant accessory in a category, so you'll be insanely buffed and have all kinds of conveniences piled on. One alone combines the ankh shield, frostspark boots, lava waders, etc. Use the recipe browser to find out how to craft the souls -- each one requires a Strange Tentacle to complete, so you won't be able to assemble them before beating Moon Lord, but you can make the Essences. They're the pre-hardmode version of the souls, giving a massive boost to a given damage category, one each for melee, magic, ranged, summoning, and throwing. They require Wall of Flesh drops as their ultimate ingredient, but everything else is pre-hardmode, so try to assemble the pieces early, and then as soon as you drop into hardmode you'll have an incredible accessory to boost whatever class you're playing.

Also go into the mod browser in the main menu and search/download the mod "Stack Size Plus" so you can have almost all items stack to 9999. Especially with auto chests, this almost becomes a necessity. You'll be thankful for the convenience.

Recipe Browser I could really use that as I cannot figure out how to craft 95% of the mod crap but I cannot seem to find it?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

socialsecurity posted:

Recipe Browser I could really use that as I cannot figure out how to craft 95% of the mod crap but I cannot seem to find it?

It's shown with the keybind, under mod keybinds, which are blank by default. Bind it to something then hit the key ingame to bring up the browser.

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly the only mod so far I'm not thrilled with is Butterknife's Tech Mod, which looks kind of like an entire biome of developer placeholder art and whose mod page is basically "uh, I don't know... guns?"

Yeahhhh, if I start another expert playthrough, I'm gonna turn that mod off. It adds this horrible biome with transparent walls that just fucks up the other biomes. I didn't really know what it did when I installed it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The worst part of the tech mod IMO is how the background music just suddenly stops when you enter that lovely biome. Nothing quite like walking through MSPaint-land in dead silence.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, which mod is that? I need to disable it. Everything else seems great!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, which mod is that? I need to disable it. Everything else seems great!

In the mod list its called Tech Mod.
E:

Garfu posted:

Spoilers!

What mod are you using to get so many more accessory slots? There are so many good ones to play with, but so little space...

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 29, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

What mod are you using to get so many more accessory slots? There are so many good ones to play with, but so little space...

The Cheat Sheet menu (the menu on the bottom) lets you add up to 6 slots, among other things like increasing the spawn rate (I just did a playthrough on 3x spawns). It's a good tool to have even when you're not using it to actually cheat.

One of the various .exe patchers will let your vanity accessory slots count as actual accessories.

So yeah, having all of those accessory slots make's it easy (and fun) too. I'm just glad there was hard content added after moonlord for all of the bloat the mod combinations add.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Garfu posted:

The Cheat Sheet menu (the menu on the bottom) lets you add up to 6 slots, among other things like increasing the spawn rate (I just did a playthrough on 3x spawns). It's a good tool to have even when you're not using it to actually cheat.

One of the various .exe patchers will let your vanity accessory slots count as actual accessories.

So yeah, having all of those accessory slots make's it easy (and fun) too. I'm just glad there was hard content added after moonlord for all of the bloat the mod combinations add.

What patcher did you use? Ive never even heard of them.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

What patcher did you use? Ive never even heard of them.

This is my favorite one:
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-terrariapatcher-plugins-and-more-works-with-tmodloader-now.24615/
Since it has a bunch of other plugins like /time and you can just press C to bring up a more simple guide thing rather than the cheat sheet recipe browser.

You need to patch a fresh tMod terraria.exe though so be careful when using this. Like you can't patch and then patch the same exe again if you want to change something. It does an autobackup of the original terraria.exe but it can get confusing.

I'd suggest unchecking all of the cheaty stuff like 'Remove Potion Sickness Debuff' and 'Remove Mana Cost' and any other ones like that. It makes the game pretty dumb. I just use 'Functional Social Slots' and some of the plugins.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 30, 2017

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Garfu posted:

This is my favorite one:
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-terrariapatcher-plugins-and-more-works-with-tmodloader-now.24615/
Since it has a bunch of other plugins like /time and you can just press C to bring up a more simple guide thing rather than the cheat sheet recipe browser.

You need to patch a fresh tMod terraria.exe though so be careful when using this. Like you can't patch and then patch the same exe again if you want to change something. It does an autobackup of the original terraria.exe but it can get confusing.

I'd suggest unchecking all of the cheaty stuff like 'Remove Potion Sickness Debuff' and 'Remove Mana Cost' and any other ones like that. It makes the game pretty dumb. I just use 'Functional Social Slots' and some of the plugins.

Thanks! Appreciate the info.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I wasnt able to get that patcher to work right sadly.. i really wanted those extra trinket slots. Terraria crashes whenever i tried doing a patch.

But, on the other hand, that Cheat Sheet mod... Boy, starting a brand new expert character and world with 5x spawns was god damned brutal. Its taken me hours to get enough basic stuff to start my build. I did cheat in a mid-high level axe though becuase of how frustrating it was getting trying to cut trees down with tons of mobs everywhere. but now that ive got a good chunk of wood and getting my building started, im gonna look into that Autochest mod. And the stack size mod. Oh man am i happy with that.

Also, gently caress alpha wolves. And bubbles. And the undead knight guys.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I'm just going to disable prefixes for enemies from my list. Its a nice mod and all, giving enemies more varieties and all, but maybe it shouldn't be enabled for bosses. Like The Enduring Adaptive Jungle Dragon I just fought, who have 90% defense against my attacks 90% of the time, but only 20% defense more than usual the res of the time.

On the upside I got like ten levels from beating it, though no loot at all.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

I'm just going to disable prefixes for enemies from my list. Its a nice mod and all, giving enemies more varieties and all, but maybe it shouldn't be enabled for bosses. Like The Enduring Adaptive Jungle Dragon I just fought, who have 90% defense against my attacks 90% of the time, but only 20% defense more than usual the res of the time.

Yes I did the same thing as soon as I figured out why I kept instantly dying to Moon Lord every time I hit him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ashsaber posted:

Levels? I'm using the modpack and haven't noticed that yet.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

Levels? I'm using the modpack and haven't noticed that yet.

I added the Experience and Classes mod that was mentioned here earlier. It scales ridiculously as you get to higher and higher levels.

Also, I think I've hit the end of the content available right now, so after doing like ~60 hours over the last 6 days or so, I'm finally putting Terraria down again and catching up on what I missed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ashsaber posted:

I added the Experience and Classes mod that was mentioned here earlier. It scales ridiculously as you get to higher and higher levels.
Also, it's based on health, damage, and defense of the enemy, so you can kill one dungeon guardian and go from level 1 to level 100.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Also, it's based on health, damage, and defense of the enemy, so you can kill one dungeon guardian and go from level 1 to level 100.

Thats good to know but what guardian gives you that much? Im at level 40ish Summoner Master? I think. The Quality over Quantity one. Its been a slow slog.

I also grabbed the Spirit Mod which has some really cool stuff butt gently caress the biome for spawning on my base though. I love the colors it has so its nice in that aspect but the cheatsy laser crystal things are annoying as hell to deal with. The float onside the terrain and shoota you through everything.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

what guardian gives you that much?

The literal Dungeon Guardian, aka the flying skull that instakills you if you enter the dungeon without killing Skeletron.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pierzak posted:

The literal Dungeon Guardian, aka the flying skull that instakills you if you enter the dungeon without killing Skeletron.

You know... ive never even tried to kill one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Don't. Your hits only do 1hp of damage, no matter the weapon, he has 1000hp, instakills you, and flies through blocks directly at you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any sufficiently rapid fire or clustering weapon will still take it down quickly enough, since damage isn't a factor. Just clear a tunnel or something so you can fly out to the surface once the guardian awakens, then start kiting it. I think you can do it in a UFO mount but you might need some kind of speed booster.
A fast enough minecart will work too, and you could probably set up a teleporter/bouncer to keep the guardian halfway between two warp points, which you could then flood with spike ball traps or something.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Any sufficiently rapid fire or clustering weapon will still take it down quickly enough, since damage isn't a factor. Just clear a tunnel or something so you can fly out to the surface once the guardian awakens, then start kiting it. I think you can do it in a UFO mount but you might need some kind of speed booster.
A fast enough minecart will work too, and you could probably set up a teleporter/bouncer to keep the guardian halfway between two warp points, which you could then flood with spike ball traps or something.
If I recall from when I tried, the UFO mount is exactly as fast as the thing, if you're moving horizontally. Moving diagonally up or down away from it can let you gain some distance on it.

You'll run into problems when you have to switch directions because you hit the end of the world, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You used to be able to Mario it with the slime mount, which is how I got my bone key.

I didn't even particularly want the pet, just the collection of it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just wanted to see if I could do it, and the answer is "maybe if I manage to go the entire long period of time it takes without any execution fuckups".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dareon posted:

You used to be able to Mario it with the slime mount
That doesn't work anymore? Lame.

Dareon posted:

which is how I got my bone key.

I didn't even particularly want the pet, just the collection of it.
:same:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It's really not too hard if you understand the challenge and prepare for it. I beat the Guardian by constructing a big sky bridge and letting it chase me back and forth across the world while I shot it with a Megashark and wearing frost armor so the frostburn effect would help whittle down its HP. The Dungeon Guardian moves a little faster than you do with Lightning Boots, but you can fly/fall faster than it moves so I just carefully flew over it whenever it got too close or I needed to turn around.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Ambaire posted:

One thing I really like about Thorium mod is that one can get pre-hardmode wings as soon as Eye of Cthulhu is defeated and the blacksmith moves in. Just kill harpies for their drops and craft 'Flight Wings' and one can have their benefits right away. And with the 'wings slot' mod, they don't even occupy a precious accessory slot.

In case you're wondering, I got the chlorophyte from a golem that spawned for some odd reason. And the reduced grinding mod seems to have a typo for trifold maps because they've been dropping at least 1 per 5 kills... inventory clutter ahoy.

Hey which mod adds the uncommon tags and the luck stat and whatnot? I have the Thorium Mod and my items don't look like that.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Hey which mod adds the uncommon tags and the luck stat and whatnot? I have the Thorium Mod and my items don't look like that.

Even More Modifiers. Luck is your chance to get more mods on stuff when you make/reroll it. Mostly you'll see it on weapons, with % chance to burn/frostburn/cursedburn/etc enemies, but there are more exotic ones too.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Sweet thank you!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Please help me. I just got though an even more modded playthrough as a ranged class rather than a summoner, and now I'm considering doing a run as a throwing focused character.

Mostly because the experience and classes mod gives 2% damage scaling to the throwing class, and every mod and their mother wants to make throwing a viable endgame class. I've seen two different armor sets at lunar tier that are based around throwing, and like a dozen before that.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Hey, I've been having some issues with the modpack and the Old One's Army event. For some reason, I can start the event just fine (portals appear, music starts, counter appears), but none of the enemies show up. Some experimenting suggests they only spawn in when I'm sat right next to the portals, and if I get too far away from the enemies, they despawn again. I'm only playing on the first set so far (on Hardmode, but haven't gone for a mechanical boss yet), but it means that the event is entirely unremarkable and unchallenging, until the last part of Wave 5, where the Dark Mage spawns in and and survives my magical onslaught for long enough that they hit me really hard. I'm on Expert mode as well, if that's at all relevant.
Possibly related, the items the Tavernkeep sells for Defender medals don't show up properly - the cursor just vanishes over them, and there's no descriptive text whatsoever.

Any ideas which mod might be causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yep happened to me too. I just ignored the event but it would be neat to find out what was causing it to not work.