Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you playing?
Velvet
Rokurou
Eleanor
Eizen
Laphicet
Magilou
View Results

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheKingofSprings posted:

How do I get Eleanor to cast healing artes faster during a fight without equipment?

Sidestep counts as an attack. Sidestep/dash twice with healing in the third slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

When the hell's the midgame, I'm like 8 hours in and still only have 4 party members.

No clue. I'm around the ten hour mark and only got the fifth.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

Dodging is overrated, blocking severely limits damage so just block until the enemy is done with their attacks and counterattack. Especially better once you get skills that encourage blocking like SG regen and stun increase.

I know what you mean, I already thought that the whole "get hit, then dodge as you get hit" to be really counter-intuitive. Like, don't make me get hit, the dodge steal should be on an actual dodge or a perfectly-timed block, which I'm good at, instead of "it's kind of between a block and a dodge and you still get hit for one damage but the timing is after the hitbox connects"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there anything different I need to do for the AI fix if I am using a Steam Link and have a controller hooked up to it?

I have a PS4, but I would miss the 60 fps.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's 60 fps on PS4 too

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Terper posted:

It's 60 fps on PS4 too

Huh, must have got nodes crossed on the PS4 and PS3 versions then.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Are you still using low level equipment or what? I didn't notice any jump in that part, save that it starts introducing enemy casters.

I was using a hodgepodge of different equipment to master skills, but all of it was fresh and upgraded. I still wonder what was up with that area, because now I'm past it and everything's back to normal difficulty-wise :shrug:

My kill times in that area (the boars, serpentladies and rats) was easily 5x as long as elsewhere. At least I got better at guarding since everything could stunlock and nearly kill me! I feel like the game doesn't emphasize enough how powerful guard charging is. I'm still stuck in some situations where there are so many enemies attacking me (and ignoring everyone else in my party) that I just get stunlocked or never get the chance to attack. I guess that's what the knockback on character switching is for?

e: also, how are you supposed to avoid the attacks that appear on your character and also last for a while? If you guard, you still take a lot of damage and if you quickstep it you'll just get hit by the next "pulse" (and then take a ton of damage because you're now staggered).

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you quickstep a bunch in one burst your i-frames won't end and you'll get out of the radius

also the early game is missions > dungeon > magilou > dungeon > start of act 2 > dungeon > eleanor

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

if you quickstep a bunch in one burst your i-frames won't end and you'll get out of the radius

also the early game is missions > dungeon > magilou > dungeon > start of act 2 > dungeon > eleanor

Man they really tease you with Magilou early on though.

Eleanor taking a lot of time to join makes complete sense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I've gone through like 3 dungeons, please tell me magi joins after the fortress quest.

Also I found these mini-games Tales coins, seems really simple to just buy all the low cost fashion items really fast?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why, it's only been 23 hours ingame time and I already have all the party members! :v:

Mokinokaro posted:

Eleanor taking a lot of time to join makes complete sense.

After all you do to her, I was really wonder how on earth she would ever join. Even if she's still working for Artorius I feel so incredibly bad for her, and I really look forward to seeing how her story proceeds. All the characters in this game are great!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I've gone through like 3 dungeons, please tell me magi joins after the fortress quest.

Also I found these mini-games Tales coins, seems really simple to just buy all the low cost fashion items really fast?
yeah you can grind out tales coins really easily but they're pretty much just for fashion items and convenience items, you can't buy any equipment with them etc

anyway magi joins during the assassination mission

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
If I play moderate instead of hard, am I loving myself out of unlocking stuff later without replaying? Also how the hell should I be setting up art trees and why do I never get to the fourth hit of a combo without breaks and whats the difference between sg and souls

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tae posted:

When the hell's the midgame, I'm like 8 hours in and still only have 4 party members.

I had about 28 hours when i got to a point someone else referenced as being 40% in or so. I am very thorough about fighting everything and picking up everything in an area the first time I run through it though and I've also idled a couple hours probably.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop: You can press Y on the fashion screen to rotate, scale and place the accessories wherever you want! :eyepop:

Holy poo poo this changes everything. Best game.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Farg posted:

If I play moderate instead of hard, am I loving myself out of unlocking stuff later without replaying? Also how the hell should I be setting up art trees and why do I never get to the fourth hit of a combo without breaks and whats the difference between sg and souls
nothing's locked to hard, set arte trees to whatever you want, you need four or more souls to get to the fourth hit of a combo, sg is the white stuff around your souls, the souls are the actual ticks in the bar. basically the sg is the meter and the souls are how long that meter goes on for.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If you care about trophies it's probably possible that the one for seeing every mystic arte is locked from lower difficulties, at least without a guide to know which things to not just insta-gib.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

has anyone used vjoy to fix the AI bug? im trying but im not familiar with the program so im having trouble

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
BTW, anyone has a list of Dire Foes (the wandering enemies that come sometimes when you do a perilous encounter)? I have killed the one that's around Loegress but I am unsure if there was one beforehand.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

has anyone used vjoy to fix the AI bug? im trying but im not familiar with the program so im having trouble

You just add in Vjoy 2,3,4 and nothing else. Do NOT add Vjoy 1 because that crashes the game. Go into the game system and assign player 2-4 to their respective vjoy and set auto for them.

Keep in mind, the controls stick directly to the controller so if you switch your main character (Velvet in this case) and switch to Eizen out of battle, Velvet will be Manually controlled still aka standing still. You have to switch in-battle with this set-up.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Tae posted:

Keep in mind, the controls stick directly to the controller so if you switch your main character (Velvet in this case) and switch to Eizen out of battle, Velvet will be Manually controlled still aka standing still. You have to switch in-battle with this set-up.

What? I can switch them just fine both out and in combat (and I also can make the game run with 1-3, but I guess that's me being lucky).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
M'alakhim

*tips fedora*

Also I finally got to play as Eleanor and wow I'm bad. She supposedly has the highest Attack of all my characters, yet I'm taking 10x as long killing things with her. Is she like Eizen in that she needs some core skills before she really starts kicking rear end? Her moveset just seems to contradict itself right now. The Break Soul combos into nothing (despite it literally saying it's good for combos), some artes just push the enemy out of reach of your other attacks and a lot of the artes seem identical (spin the spear). Are you supposed to combo spinning and shooting magic? I don't understand how to play this character at all, but she's Cool and Good so I really want to!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any titles that increase the rate of stun?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are there any titles that increase the rate of stun?
Yeah, there are a few that increase the rate of stun based on how many times you've used the arte. not sure on their names but I know laphi has one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah, there are a few that increase the rate of stun based on how many times you've used the arte. not sure on their names but I know laphi has one.

It looks like it might be Weakness Hunter? It talks about the effect rate.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

Also I finally got to play as Eleanor and wow I'm bad. She supposedly has the highest Attack of all my characters, yet I'm taking 10x as long killing things with her. Is she like Eizen in that she needs some core skills before she really starts kicking rear end? Her moveset just seems to contradict itself right now. The Break Soul combos into nothing (despite it literally saying it's good for combos), some artes just push the enemy out of reach of your other attacks and a lot of the artes seem identical (spin the spear). Are you supposed to combo spinning and shooting magic? I don't understand how to play this character at all, but she's Cool and Good so I really want to!

I posted some Eleanor advice earlier albeit I think in spoiler tags. Her Break Soul is really, really good for combos. On things it launches, you can go straight into the Shock Drum spell once you've unlocked it for big damage and a re-stand or you can let the BS recover and then try to time a fast attack to hit them before landing to re-stand them (this works better if you use the BS immediately after a move that already launches like Flame Beast). On heavier enemies it doesn't launch, you can still go into Shock Drum since the BS has a large amount of hitstun or you can go into literally anything else instead.

If you'd like to see a visual reference of what I'm talking about, here's my runs through the first arena island thing you get to go to: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/117830344

I also streamed some runs of the second arena island, if you want to see the movesets as they stand in the late 30s: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118104360

Related to those two videos: I still have no idea whatsoever how to effectively control Magilou. Nothing about controlling her feels good. On the other hand, Laphicet is a drat monster and is probably who I'll get the True Character title to level 2 with next.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Welp, my first red daemon was entirely cheesed by the fact that Velvet literally can't die while in claw mode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

Welp, my first red daemon was entirely cheesed by the fact that Velvet literally can't die while in claw mode.

Yeah I noticed that during the Teresa fight. When Velvet would die she just does the claw mode finisher instead.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

TheKingofSprings posted:

It looks like it might be Weakness Hunter? It talks about the effect rate.

Yeah, that should be it. There's also Incapacitator which will increase the stun duration as opposed to its chances of landing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I unlocked "Intense" difficulty by beating a lamia red daemon. Which uh I dunno if glitched or something, but it barely did anything because it kept getting interrupted. Higher difficulty increases loot chance, right? Any other benefit?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks! I don't have shock drum yet and I can see from the footage that she gets a lot of artes that make things more fluid, so I guess she's one of those characters. I'm the type who likes to immediately switch to the new character when I get one, so I find it kinda annoying how many of them have incredibly lacking movesets when introduced. Eizen when you get him and Eizen a couple of levels later is like night and day, for instance.

(Un?)related, a lot of the skits after Eleanor joined have been anime :biotruths: but the good ones have been really good :3: I guess Laphicet has two moms now! Also the fat anime cat is great.

Tae posted:

Higher difficulty increases loot chance, right? Any other benefit?

Several of the unlocks you get by beating code red daemons only apply to certain difficulties. Most of the ones I've gotten so far have been "on Normal or above" but there are also ones that are "Moderate or above" or Hard only.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I am upset by the two Very Good Dogs in the first town probably dying horribly in the demon apocalypse although I will admit that I never saw a body.

Aside from that this game owns, and I think this is the first time I've given a poo poo about the child character in an RPG party like ever, and I'm not sure how they managed that.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the localization is pretty liberal, huh? hows the english voice acting?

playing with japanese audio because magilou = ritsu and i dont want it any other way

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PotU posted:

the localization is pretty liberal, huh? hows the english voice acting?

playing with japanese audio because magilou = ritsu and i dont want it any other way

I don't have any problems with the English voice acting, personally. Young Velvet wasn't so great, though.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Arkeus posted:

BTW, anyone has a list of Dire Foes (the wandering enemies that come sometimes when you do a perilous encounter)? I have killed the one that's around Loegress but I am unsure if there was one beforehand.

I believe they spawn in based on the foes you're fighting in the encounter rather than the area maybe? I fought an undead thing in the gate fortress while there were undeads in the perilous encounter and a beast thing in the yawning wetlands while there were beasts. Given that, I doubt any are missable.

CaptainRat posted:

I am upset by the two Very Good Dogs in the first town probably dying horribly in the demon apocalypse although I will admit that I never saw a body.

Aside from that this game owns, and I think this is the first time I've given a poo poo about the child character in an RPG party like ever, and I'm not sure how they managed that.

There was a swaddled baby corpse that really got me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CaptainRat posted:

Tales has had pretty decent child characters in general, honestly. At the very least Sophie was good.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Endorph posted:

Tales has had pretty decent child characters in general, honestly. At the very least Sophie was good.

I admit that for me most of it is not caring for Relm back in the day and then hating Anise from Abyss, who was the wooooorst.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Karol and Chat too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly I don't think kid characters are even bad on a average if you're not bothered by the inherent implausibility of hauling a kid around while you're saving the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Eleanor seems kinda weak so far

E: About what level should I be for the Water Temple?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 29, 2017

• Locked thread