Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like my games to be short, expensive, and garbage, ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bloodychill posted:

I like my games to be short, expensive, and garbage, ama

The Order 1886 philosophy

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

The Order 1886 philosophy

Also see Devil May Cry 2 and Star Ocean 5

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bloodychill posted:

Also see Devil May Cry 2 and Star Ocean 5

I'd like to hear someone who truely believes it give a passionate defence for Devil May Cry 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I checked to see what Ready at Dawn was doing these days, after they were saying that gameplay was getting in the way of their storytelling for the Order:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

I'd like to hear someone who truely believes it give a passionate defence for Devil May Cry 2.

You'd probably need to get a hold of some old Diesel marketing dude

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always been kind of curious if they'd end up with a second chance with The Order. I think it sold pretty well on hype alone but Sony probably knows that is the only reason it sold and selling a sequel would be an uphill battle.

Not curious in the sense that I'd actually play the Order 2 though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd play it for $10 like the first one.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Did you time yourself/is there a timer? 'Cause I don't really remember the game actually being very much longer than that. I Redboxed it and played it one Saturday when it was new; there wasn't a ton there. $60 was about $30 too much, imo.

The Order definitely wasn't one of these situations. That game was short, with nothing to do afterwards but go back in for collectibles, IIRC.

I didn't time it but I think timing a game as a definition of value being time=money=value doesn't do this game (and some other games) justice. A major problem is not considering the cinematic sequences as part of the game. Based on my expectations, I thought the game was going to end just when it got good. It made me question if many reviewers even finished the game. I agree that I wouldn't recommend it at $60. However, this holds true for most games. The game has a production value which is almost unparalleled. If people are into that, then they should absolutely play it. I really like this take on the game and why it is worth reconsideration: http://www.thumbsticks.com/second-shot-the-order-1886/

The replay value from the game would come from wanting to experience the story again, much like wanting to watch a movie again. It is a great example about how sometimes good games can be buried by biases from the gaming press. It is a press filled with hardcore gamers, who play games at lightning speed, and are often white males (with their politics and historical biases). The characters and themes in the story aren't likely to hit with this audience and that is not necessarily a problem with the game. The letterbox critique in particular feels shortsighted. It would be like critiquing a third-person shooter for not being first-person. The game is designed for this viewing and playing experience. If you don't like that than you probably don't like 'genre'.

I don't think it is perfect, but I am disappointed that the negative press at launch means we are unlikely to see a sequel which can a build upon a solid foundation.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

If there only was some ethics in game journalism then the Order wouldn't have gotten such a bad rep

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NNick posted:

I didn't time it but I think timing a game as a definition of value being time=money=value doesn't do this game (and some other games) justice. A major problem is not considering the cinematic sequences as part of the game. Based on my expectations, I thought the game was going to end just when it got good. It made me question if many reviewers even finished the game. I agree that I wouldn't recommend it at $60. However, this holds true for most games. The game has a production value which is almost unparalleled. If people are into that, then they should absolutely play it. I really like this take on the game and why it is worth reconsideration: http://www.thumbsticks.com/second-shot-the-order-1886/

The replay value from the game would come from wanting to experience the story again, much like wanting to watch a movie again. It is a great example about how sometimes good games can be buried by biases from the gaming press. It is a press filled with hardcore gamers, who play games at lightning speed, and are often white males (with their politics and historical biases). The characters and themes in the story aren't likely to hit with this audience and that is not necessarily a problem with the game. The letterbox critique in particular feels shortsighted. It would be like critiquing a third-person shooter for not being first-person. The game is designed for this viewing and playing experience. If you don't like that than you probably don't like 'genre'.

I don't think it is perfect, but I am disappointed that the negative press at launch means we are unlikely to see a sequel which can a build upon a solid foundation.

That's cool and good that you liked it, but beyond the length most people seemed to think the story and gameplay were really bad. I know I did. Imo despite being what amounted to I think 4 hours for me it felt like a total slog I wanted to end way before it did.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ramagamma posted:

It doesn't even work for that like me. I paid £40 for Uncharted 4 and have a very condensed, cinematic, heavily produced and ultimately fantasic 10 hours. For comparison sake, Rocket League, Binding of Isaac and Spelunky have a combined playtime of some 400 hours for me and those are 3 games you could potentially not have paid to directly own(not sure if Spelunky was ever on PS Plus). I bought all 3 at full price and adored them.

Videogame are great y'all.

Uc4 is like 15 hours isnt it?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

Uc4 is like 15 hours isnt it?

I did it in about 11 but I was playing on the easiest difficulty and punching every nameless grunt in the mouth

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

veni veni veni posted:

I've always been kind of curious if they'd end up with a second chance with The Order. I think it sold pretty well on hype alone but Sony probably knows that is the only reason it sold and selling a sequel would be an uphill battle.

Not curious in the sense that I'd actually play the Order 2 though.

Short, cinematic, single-player only shooters as a technical showpiece are facing a critical and commercial dead end this generation. The AAA market has become increasingly dominated by service-based shooters, open world games, and licensed sports games. It's the same problem that affected Quantum Break.

I suppose you could greenlight the Order 2 and give it more money so it's a fully feature game. Or you could just make more map packs/DLC for Uncharted 4 which is already a successful product.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the worst part about uncharted is the uninspired cover shooting, and it seems like 3 decided to make that the majority of the game. that and drab stucco/concrete environments

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I remember uncharted 3 seemingly consisted entirely of those big cinematic moments and dramatic settings like a capsizing cruise ship, a plane, a desert etc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The cruise ship sinking is still my favourite part in the series. gently caress the shoot out beforehand on Crushing though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gravity rush 2 is fun but i am never doing another side mission after some of the horse poo poo tower defense ones that go on forever

thank god i found the cancel mission option buried in the menu.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

veni veni veni posted:

That's cool and good that you liked it, but beyond the length most people seemed to think the story and gameplay were really bad. I know I did. Imo despite being what amounted to I think 4 hours for me it felt like a total slog I wanted to end way before it did.

You're obviously a white male.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

gravity rush 2 is fun but i am never doing another side mission after some of the horse poo poo tower defense ones that go on forever

thank god i found the cancel mission option buried in the menu.

I finished the game earlier today and it is good, but I gave up ok the sidemissions too. They are all terrible, unfun garbage that seems like it was made to spite you. Slow as gently caress tailing missions, stealth sections, platforming and combat sections where they love taking away your powers. And they all seriously overstay their welcome.
The rest of the game is very enjoyable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can I beat Last Guardian in a week? Trying to see if I can squeeze it in before Nioh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I beat Last Guardian in a week? Trying to see if I can squeeze it in before Nioh

I beat it in a day so probably

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Easily, it's probably under 10 hours if you don't search every nook and cranny.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So what was the final verdict on Berserk Musou - looking at you Sanders, others who played it.

I'm still all in, but curious if y'all thoughts changed playing it more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

So what was the final verdict on Berserk Musou - looking at you Sanders, others who played it.

I'm still all in, but curious if y'all thoughts changed playing it more.
I thought it had excellent fundamentals for a Musou game and went through the manga story well, just with lots of repeated gameplay content. I don't regret buying it at full price.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty interesting that GR2 and RE7 are both getting free DLCs. Then some of these MP games like Titanfall and UC4 are doing a bunch of free stuff as well. Really it's kind of smart way to get people to hold onto games. Especially after last gen where publishers were feeling almost hostile to customers with online passes and cutting parts of games out for people who bought used copies. I definetly feel more inclined to hold onto games these days than I used to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

shooters making map dlc free is just smart because fragmenting the player base with a bunch of different map packs as well as a season pass was always super loving dumb

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that BF1 is still doing that it is a big part of why I haven't bought it. Felt really burned by BF4's DLC strategy. That game had literally an insane amount of content by the end and no one played anything but the vanilla game. It was so dumb.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

The fact that BF1 is still doing that it is a big part of why I haven't bought it. Felt really burned by BF4's DLC strategy. That game had literally an insane amount of content by the end and no one played anything but the vanilla game. It was so dumb.
I fired up BF4 last night and saw same as a few months ago almost all the servers are "All (some one launch map) all the time! Woooo!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can put a down payment on a loving car on my visa but can't use it to add 22.03 so I can buy my weeb game.

gently caress you Sony.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the last time I played it I wanted to play the Naval assault maps and found a single, rockin 2 vs 2 match to play. There are like 30 giant rear end maps in that game and people play 6 of them. None of the DLC maps were viable after 2 weeks.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I can put a down payment on a loving car on my visa but can't use it to add 22.03 so I can buy my weeb game.

gently caress you Sony.

Sony not taking foreign address credit cards is so backwards. Amazon does not care at all if you buy digital pen codes, luckily.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty interesting that GR2 and RE7 are both getting free DLCs. Then some of these MP games like Titanfall and UC4 are doing a bunch of free stuff as well. Really it's kind of smart way to get people to hold onto games. Especially after last gen where publishers were feeling almost hostile to customers with online passes and cutting parts of games out for people who bought used copies. I definetly feel more inclined to hold onto games these days than I used to.

everything they're adding in overwatch is free as well (tho you can buy lotto tickets loot crates if you want), which is nice

cod and bf1 asking for basically double the price of the game is hosed up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seems like COD and BF still think they are invincible but they will get burned soon by games with superior DLC strategies.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Seems like COD and BF still think they are invincible but they will get burned soon by games with superior DLC strategies.

They don't care. Titanfall 2 is the better game but it's borderline dead on PC and sparsely populated on console. It actually lacks new maps and premium dlc content like pretty titan skins or voices.

I've had evenings in Germany/EU with 800 players in Titanfall 2

And every game mode except attrition are dead even on ps4. Cause nobody plays them because nobody queues for it.

Meanwhile BF1 has 40k players on peak times.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 30, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is a really basic question but is there an official list of what if any surround sound formats PS4 games support?

Edit: or an up to date wiki or anything? Or a universal way to tell in the game itself somewhere?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 30, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They don't care. Titanfall 2 is the better game but it's borderline dead on PC and sparsely populated on console. It actually lacks new maps and premium dlc content like pretty titan skins or voices.

I've had evenings in Germany/EU with 800 players in Titanfall 2

And every game mode except attrition are dead even on ps4. Cause nobody plays them because nobody queues for it.

Meanwhile BF1 has 40k players on peak times.

PC Titanfall 2 wasn't helped any by being stuck on the wretched turd that is Origin either.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's... Yeah. It's fine I guess. It works. The support is there. But releasing Titanfall 2 next to BF1 was insane, and now the game still only has one map patched and maybe 5 pieces of cosmetics. They don't even have all the premium titan skins or OS Voicepacks, which was a feature I loved about Titanfall 1.

A second map is coming as is a better queue, but it's probably too late.
The matchmaking on PC is so busted, without a group you'll end up getting owned by stuff you haven't unlocked the counter for.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is a really basic question but is there an official list of what if any surround sound formats PS4 games support?

Edit: or an up to date wiki or anything? Or a universal way to tell in the game itself somewhere?

Pretty certain most if not all games support Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Of course, how 'good' the surround mixing is done will vary per game and I'm sure some have just faked it by just duplicating the stereo channels (it's not as if 2D games need proper surround).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bf4, I found plenty of people playing the dlc maps. The trick is you need to find several custom servers that do a full map rotation, including dlc. Add them to your favorites.

Now the new dlc map modes.... Yeah it was almost impossible to find games for it after a month.