Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's probably to do with turbulence in the warp. When the crusade started the warp was docile and quiet, when the heresy kicks off its crazy as gently caress and you need extra power to cut through the static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just picked up a copy of Baneblade and I'm about to start it. Anyone else read it? Is it decent?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Well you could also say that the Emperor is required to sit there to deal with the pressure from Magnus's Folly. He punched a huge hole into the webway that was self contained before he hosed with it. Eis required to sit there to combat the daemons trying to turn Terra into a new eye of terror.

Also there's been some fluff recently about the Emperor gathering souls and poo poo, and it was interesting that I was just rereading MoM and when he steps off the throne and joins them in the webway, there are souls with him to battle daemons and even the 10th Primarch is reborn briefly. It literally states that, so perhaps some foreshadowing of what may be coming down the pipeline. Also the fact that no one sat on the throne while big E was in the webway, BUT Malcador was required to when E went to wup Horus lends some legitimacy to the idea that pre magnus putting his dick through the webway and flooding it w daemons, it wasn't necessary for anyone to sit on the throne.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

pubic works project posted:

Just picked up a copy of Baneblade and I'm about to start it. Anyone else read it? Is it decent?

I've heard it's pretty great, hoping to pick it up myself sometime in the future.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I thought it was alright, though I can't remember anything about it for some reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought it was alright, though I can't remember anything about it for some reason.

Yeah. Not great, not one of the landmark books in the setting, but it's a good Guard novel and one of the few dealing with Guard armored units. Tanks are one of the reasons Honor Guard is very close to the top of my list for the Gaunt series: one kickass big tank battle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The scene stealer is the Tank Hunter which gets set up early in the fight, and then sits still until the moment it needs to put a laser through a target, reminding you that "oh, yeah, you were there, weren't you?"

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

mllaneza posted:

Yeah. Not great, not one of the landmark books in the setting, but it's a good Guard novel and one of the few dealing with Guard armored units. Tanks are one of the reasons Honor Guard is very close to the top of my list for the Gaunt series: one kickass big tank battle.

I also liked this one basically for that reason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can one of you poor bastards who reads the Gav Thorpe books tell me what a "Whispercutter" is please. I think it is going to make me angry, but I'm morbidly curious about what idiocy Thorpe has come up with now.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 22, 2017

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Can one of you poor bastards who reads the Gav Thorpe books tell me what a "Whispercutter" is please. I think it is going to make me angry, but I'm morbidly curious about what idiocy Thorpe has come up with now.

Isn't that a Harlequin transport/skimmer?

I don't think Gav Thorpe came up with it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He claimed responsibility in a WD article.

Found it:

quote:

The Whispercutter is a type of light transport aircraft used by the Raven Guard. Constructed on Kiavahr, the Whispercutter is an open-topped airframe flyer that uses gravitic impellers. It is capable of dropping 10 Space Marines into a war zone in utter silence and with practically no chance of detection.

loving hack.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Silenced bolters

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Skarsnik posted:

Silenced bolters

Stalker Boltguns.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished Baneblade. I really enjoyed it! The tank combat kept me really interested.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So in March, Dan Abnett's Titanicus novel is getting a limited edition release (I quite like the book, but still :rolleye:) to coincide with a new Titanicus tabletop game. Perhaps more importantly, though, BL also will be releasing his Titan comic in hardbook and eBook formats for the first time. That might be worth picking up provided it's not outrageously priced…so probably not. Who knows!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
poo poo, GW really are desperate to reel the grogs back in aren't they?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually, I'm not sure of that. I think they've decided to be an IP factory and sell all the rights to their IP as video games. To that end, reviving Titanicus lets them ship the Titanicus IP around to various video game companies as the new hot property.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jng2058 posted:

Actually, I'm not sure of that. I think they've decided to be an IP factory and sell all the rights to their IP as video games. To that end, reviving Titanicus lets them ship the Titanicus IP around to various video game companies as the new hot property.

Supposedly Titanicus is them testing the waters for a smaller scale game. If it sells well they'll put out more stuff in the same scale, basically bringing back Epic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jng2058 posted:

If it means we get Mechwarrior 40k, I'm onboard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Slocomb's Warbots. Literally Battletech designs. Even the new version of them basically ripped off other, newer, Battletech designs.

jng2058 posted:

I'm not sure that in any way contradicts the goal of "reel the grogs back in".

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I just loving want Deathwing released for console already.

But I'd be happy with a Titan game as well a la Mechwarrior.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
Slocomb's Warbots. Literally Battletech designs. Even the new version of them basically ripped off other, newer, Battletech designs.

Holy poo poo, I'd never even heard of these:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd never seen them photographed well, so it's nice to see that the one I could never identify is a somewhat modified Archer, itself a Macross design originally :allears:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

I just loving want Deathwing released for console already.

It's not very good so don't feel too bad.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dodoman posted:

Seconded.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Goddamn ADB is so good at writing Chaos Marines.

Is The Long Night the latest story involving Jago Sevatar right now?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AndyElusive posted:

Goddamn ADB is so good at writing Chaos Marines.

Is The Long Night the latest story involving Jago Sevatar right now?

Is that after "Prince of Crows" ?

Also, Sanctus Reach is being very well received. 84% positive on Steam. At only $30 I won't be able to hold out for very long.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mllaneza posted:

Also, Sanctus Reach is being very well received. 84% positive on Steam. At only $30 I won't be able to hold out for very long.

It's terrible but pretty. Braindead AI and awful missions.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Is that after "Prince of Crows" ?

It is! Takes place directly after.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Dodoman posted:

Just to add to this, the Sanctus Reach game from the same crew that did the Armageddon a few years back is overpriced and underperforms. Avoid it unless you think $30 for a strategy game that would look better on your Iphone (Yet with less content than a good number of games for your Iphone) is a good idea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so my gf is awesome and got me the entire warhammer comics collection for my birthday. they are pretty great.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so my gf is awesome and got me the entire warhammer comics collection for my birthday. they are pretty great.

PETA fighting the good fight.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

You have to check out the full statement. It's hilarious.

http://www.peta.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Games-Workshop-Ban-Fur-Letter.pdf

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

We really do live in the best timeline, don't we?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I'm angrier than a herd of Grox right now. Those 'furs' are 100% human-hide thank you very much.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm angrier than a herd of Grox right now. Those 'furs' are 100% human-hide thank you very much.

Well, there are no wolves on Fenris...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

quote:

Indeed, nothing on the bloody battlefields of Warhammer’s war-torn
world could match the horrific reality that foxes, minks, rabbits, and other
living beings experience at the hands of the fur trade. Those killed for their
fur typically first endure a bleak life inside a tiny, filthy wire cage before
being electrocuted, drowned, or even skinned alive. Or they may be out
minding their business and get caught in horrific bone-crushing steel-jaw
traps – often languishing for days before eventually dying of hunger,
thirst, or blood loss.
DarkEldar.txt

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SRM posted:

DarkEldar.txt

Holy poo poo. That is the most obliviously stupid thing I've ever seen.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What is the ting with "no wolves on Fenris"? IDGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Sandweed posted:

What is the ting with "no wolves on Fenris"? IDGI

It's saying that Fenrisian Wolves are just horribly mutated Space Wolves.

So it's Space Wolves riding Space Wolves while wearing Space Wolves.

Space Wolves all the way down.