Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I probably got my first job thanks to a 40-hour-a-week unpaid summer internship in a shrinking newsroom that was clearly capitalizing on free labor to offset its rapid decay, so I feel qualified to comment on this subject:

1) The only reason I was able to do this is because my parents were well off
2) gently caress anyone who thinks that's an acceptable barrier of entry into the workforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

xbilkis posted:

I probably got my first job thanks to a 40-hour-a-week unpaid summer internship in a shrinking newsroom that was clearly capitalizing on free labor to offset its rapid decay, so I feel qualified to comment on this subject:

1) The only reason I was able to do this is because my parents were well off
2) gently caress anyone who thinks that's an acceptable barrier of entry into the workforce

I have no knowledge on this situation but do people who work for student newspapers at universities get paid or no? I tried to google it but I came up empty.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Akileese posted:

I have no knowledge on this situation but do people who work for student newspapers at universities get paid or no? I tried to google it but I came up empty.

Maybe at some state schools but I certainly didn't.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

It varies. Some student papers are basically just a student run club, others can be sort of a department of the school as a whole.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

He has doubled/tripled/quadrupled and more down on this sentiment. It's amazing.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Akileese posted:

I got paid like $10 / article for one student newspaper, and my tuition paid for the privilege of writing at another!

Inspector_666 posted:

He has doubled/tripled/quadrupled and more down on this sentiment. It's amazing.

Everyone he's retweeting to prove his point is a white dude...

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 27, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Inspector_666 posted:

He's literally fighting the entire internet right now and getting destroyed.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/825046078810632195

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Of all the insane stuff Rovell says on a daily basis, this unfortunate but also very accurate statement is what's setting Twitter on fire?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's reprehensible precisely because it's accurate.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Rovell is a special kind of monster who can recognize the terrible implications of a system that boxes out people who can't afford to work for free, but is unable to ascribe any negative value to the perpetuation of that system

In his replies to people he keeps saying "Yeah, rich people have an advantage, but that's just life. There are some poor people who have been able to make it through so whatever"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, the only world we can live in is the one we live in.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Obligatory Harlan Ellison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

gently caress off.

I'm barely being paid poverty wages as it is.

I'd love to see Rovell in actual newsroom on an actual beat rather than filling his story quota by stretching a few sentences out about a tiny convenience store not selling Sam Adams until after the Super Bowl.

The store owner rightly noted that the stunt was likely to make him money because news organizations took the bait.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Rovell said Nike sweatshops are good to because people in those countries need jobs or some ghoulish poo poo

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rovell said Nike sweatshops are good to because people in those countries need jobs or some ghoulish poo poo

it's hosed up that they pay them, you think they'd appreciate the opportunity to get work experience

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sage steele is all why are those protesters blocking my flight

https://twitter.com/sagesteele/status/825964829022289920

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

sage steele is all why are those protesters blocking my flight

https://twitter.com/sagesteele/status/825964829022289920

It's always okay to be pissed off at your airport experience, I wouldn't take that away from anyone.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

"But it saddened me to see the joy on their faces knowing that they were successful in disrupting so many people's travel plans. Yes, immigrants were affected by this as well."

lol

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The first Goddamn reply calls her a "coon" :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Le Batard isn't having it

quote:

“The genie is out of the bottle on this because we all have our own Twitter accounts and all have our own social media. This is what ESPN is trying to prevent because once one person does it, it opens the floodgates for the rest of us because, of course, I, as the son of exiles, look at this and I’m like what the hell are you talking about [that] your travel plans were affected? What are you talking about? The height of privilege.

“But you can’t give this a voice and then muzzle the rest of us. You can’t give Sage Steele this voice and muzzle the son of exiles.”

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Respect to Dan LeBatard

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Their interview with Big Boi today made me spit up my water laughing

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Unmerciful posted:

As someone who's been pretty down on the Ringer in the past, I'm excited they are finally bringing on a must read

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/824263836840566785

What do you mean finally? They've had Shea for awhile

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Adun posted:

Respect to Dan LeBatard

Am I wrong for unabashedly liking Le Batard? I feel like doing so is a thing that might blacklist me from being allowed to have an intelligent opinion on sports journalism, but I've always found his takes, hot and tepid, to at least be somewhat refreshing, and the fact that Bomani Jones likes him is good enough for me

e: he's also a pretty solid Twitter troll

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Am i wrong for unabashedly liking Le Batard? I feel like doing so is a thing that might blacklist me from being allowed to have an intelligent opinion on sports journalism, but I've always found his takes, hot and tepid, to at least be somewhat refreshing, and the fact that Bomani Jones likes him is good enough for me

I honestly just thought of him as some generic lovely ESPN talking head but I totally agree with you. Plus Highly Question is pretty entertaining

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Am I wrong for unabashedly liking Le Batard? I feel like doing so is a thing that might blacklist me from being allowed to have an intelligent opinion on sports journalism, but I've always found his takes, hot and tepid, to at least be somewhat refreshing, and the fact that Bomani Jones likes him is good enough for me

I think most of SAS likes him.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Adun posted:

Plus Highly Question is pretty entertaining

His father is a goddamn national treasure

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Teemu Pokemon posted:

He treats sports with all the seriousness it deserves, he's very good

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
For people who have been following LeBatard more closely for longer than I have - did he Get Better at some point in the not-too-distant past, or was I just not familiar enough with his more substantive work?

I definitely had him written off as an annoying generic sportswriter when I primarily knew of him as a PTI fill-in, but over the past few years he has definitely established himself as one of the better sports media types

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

imo Le Batard is the Doug Stanhope of ESPN personalities in the sense that people blame him for loving up a once good show because they fail to realize that it was already circling the drain. And also that his strengths are not the things that the network actually wants him to do.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've been listening to his radio show for like 10 years. It is fantastic and fun and has always been good, although now it's much more polished. He's been doing the same stuff for the entire time. His show is great because Stugotz is the perfect foil and b/c they love bringing in guest co-hosts. I imagine it might be hard to get into because so many jokes have been set up for years but I can't recommend it more strongly.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Dango Bango posted:

The first Goddamn reply calls her a "coon" :(

I don't know if it makes it any better for you, but we've been using "coon" and "cooning" as an occasional substitute for "Uncle Tom".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BasicFunk posted:

I don't know if it makes it any better for you, but we've been using "coon" and "cooning" as an occasional substitute for "Uncle Tom".
I don't really see how that's any better.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

DJExile posted:

:stare:

I certainly understand being upset and emotional but holy poo poo Bart.

Part Deux
https://twitter.com/BartHubbuch/status/826234204174311426

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha welp

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

To be fair we are like two weeks in and he was right.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Oh man he Tweeted that while employed by a Murdoch outlet? There was only one way that was going to end.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair we are like two weeks in and he was right.

100% right but doing that at the post would is begging for a firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore/status/826294299327348737

Sportsnet is a Canadian sports channel, for those not in the know, although Baldesarra appears to be US-based