Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

It always confuses me how Chaos themselves have to use the Cadian gate. Like. can they not use all their sorcerors and demons to make their own paths out?

Supposedly the Cadian Gate is the most stable path into and out of the Eye of Terror. Trying to just burst into reality from anywhere else in the galaxy works too of course, but it's a lot less reliable, I imagine. The difference between being able to get a hundred ships into the materium as opposed to a dozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

It always confuses me how Chaos themselves have to use the Cadian gate. Like. can they not use all their sorcerors and demons to make their own paths out?

If you were planning a massive campaign against your hated enemies, would you trust sorcerers and demons who are almost universally dicks to get you to your enemy to kill them or take the stable path that always works?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Also, would you sneak around back like a pansy or crush your hated enemies' stronghold with your iron fist?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, fun fact: Cadia was tainted by Chaos from the word go. It was discovered by Lorgar, the first primarch to fall to Chaos, and colonized on his orders. The Cadian Gate was where the bulk of Lorgar's legion fell to Chaos.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Comstar posted:

So..err...what was it? I thought the point was to destroy Cadia to err..close the gate I guess? Seeing as the pylons on the planet was what was keeping the area clear of warp stones?

Fall of cadia minor spoilers/black crusades spoilers. Read at your own risk.

It turns out that cadia was not the only planet with pylons on it and these pylons spread across multiple planets are what keeps the eye of terror from expanding. So now the writers have made it so that each or at least some of the past black crusades were Abbadon finding said planets and wiping out all the pylons on them by orbital bombardment so that the eye of terror could grow bigger. Take what you want from that.

Veloxyll posted:

Haha no, not at all. One thing that doesn't quite get explained well is that all of those chaos ships you see flying around also have to use their Gellar fields to keep out the demons when travelling through the warp and/or the more dangerous parts of the eye of terror. If they didn't then the super powerful but still mortal chaos marines onboard would be possessed by said demons and if not them them the thousands of mortal slaves they use to keep their ships running.

In fact in a lot of the chaos books you find out that the demons that a lot of the sorcerers summon are only serving them because they are bound and forced to.

One of my favourite examples of the relationship chaos marines have with demons is from the Talon of Horus book, where the protagonist Thousand Sun Sorcerer opens a portal for him and his chaos buddies including a funny world eater marine to escape and as soon as he opens said portal both he and his mates and the soldiers back on his ship facing the other portal are immediately attacked by chaos demons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

koolkevz666 posted:

One of my favourite examples of the relationship chaos marines have with demons is from the Talon of Horus book, where the protagonist Thousand Sun Sorcerer opens a portal for him and his chaos buddies including a funny world eater marine to escape and as soon as he opens said portal both he and his mates and the soldiers back on his ship facing the other portal are immediately attacked by chaos demons.

Also the bit in Deliverance Lost where a Raven Guard ship under cloak (fyi Raven Guard ships have cloaking devices) enters the Warp right next to a Word Bearer battlecruiser and the Word Bearers get dragged unprotected into the Warp in the Raven Guard's wake. The Word Bearers are all eaten by daemons before they can get their Gellar field up and running.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In short, the Eye of the Warp is "shallows" of the "ocean" of the Warp. If you randomly jump into the Warp and you're not protected by the "bubble" of a Gellar field, you sink like a rock, "drown", and get eaten by the local wildlife. Chaos-aligned humans are still human enough to want to keep their head above the "water", and even when they take a dive, they prefer to do it in circumstances of their own choice, like when there are no "sharks" around, and it's easy to get a stable footing and "take a breath".

Of course, the analogy breaks to some degree since the "ocean" is trying to convince that it's perfectly safe to tie rocks around your feet and dive into the Mariana trench, and is also making you grow tentacles, but you get the point.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hey, Herp, can you rip the "ENGAGE TACTICAL COGITATORS" audio clip and upload it somewhere? I'd like to use it for when I start up my computer.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Soon Chaos are really here! You are help Chaos with *parties*. Chaos looking for you, and find you. So much joy!! Chaos does not like Eldar. Eldar are too much trouble. We can not have parties when Eldar always *jumping in front*. It makes Chaos *frumple* so much.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

inscrutable horse posted:

Soon Chaos are really here! You are help Chaos with *parties*. Chaos looking for you, and find you. So much joy!! Chaos does not like Eldar. Eldar are too much trouble. We can not have parties when Eldar always *jumping in front*. It makes Chaos *frumple* so much.

I was actually trying to invoke that without directly referencing it. :)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

Fall of cadia minor spoilers/black crusades spoilers. Read at your own risk.

It turns out that cadia was not the only planet with pylons on it and these pylons spread across multiple planets are what keeps the eye of terror from expanding. So now the writers have made it so that each or at least some of the past black crusades were Abbadon finding said planets and wiping out all the pylons on them by orbital bombardment so that the eye of terror could grow bigger. Take what you want from that.

Isn't the Warp supposed to be anathema to the Necrons/C'tan, and that's why they built all the pylons, to stop the big giant Warp leak from getting bigger? Seems weird that the Deceiver would try to convince Abby to go wreck more planets with them.

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm honestly always surprised that the Imperium doesn't make more use of Glory Devices.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If there's one thing that doesn't describe the Imperium, it's *happy camper*.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Shoeless posted:

Isn't the Warp supposed to be anathema to the Necrons/C'tan, and that's why they built all the pylons, to stop the big giant Warp leak from getting bigger? Seems weird that the Deceiver would try to convince Abby to go wreck more planets with them.

I think they considered the Blackstone Fortresses more of a problem than the Pylons getting destroyed. Especially since they can probably just build new pylons but the Eldar can't build new fortresses.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

DatonKallandor posted:

I think they considered the Blackstone Fortresses more of a problem than the Pylons getting destroyed. Especially since they can probably just build new pylons but the Eldar can't build new fortresses.

This and it should be mentioned that other than that shadow, there is no other evidence of the Necrons being involved in swaying Abbadon. At least as far as I can remember he Gothic rule book and story just said that Abbadon was here for some artifacts and the fortresses. I don't believe it ever really said why he wanted them either.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Cythereal posted:

Also the bit in Deliverance Lost where a Raven Guard ship under cloak (fyi Raven Guard ships have cloaking devices) enters the Warp right next to a Word Bearer battlecruiser and the Word Bearers get dragged unprotected into the Warp in the Raven Guard's wake. The Word Bearers are all eaten by daemons before they can get their Gellar field up and running.

This is basically why Raven Guard is the best loyalist legion.

"Special rule: Working brains."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shoeless posted:

I think warp energy/psychic powers are one of the only things able to fully kill a C'Tan, which is why when the Old Ones made the proto-Eldar and proto-Orks during the War in Heaven they made both able to throw around a shitton of psychic energy easily. Which riled up the mostly placid Warp, which caused the first Daemons to spawn, which resulted in the first three Chaos Gods (Tzeentch, Khorne, & Nurgle) forming, which eventually led to the current shitshow. Thanks, Old Ones!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mightypeon posted:

This is basically why Raven Guard is the best loyalist legion.

"Special rule: Working brains."

the best legion is the blood ravens

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My introduction to 40k was the Ian Watson trilogy and as a result I will never not love the Imperial Fists.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What heresy is this? The best Legion totally-not-a-Legion are of course THE ULTRAMARINES! So Ultra! So Marine! So Space Roman you won't room on your genetically enhanced tiny head to hold all the laurel wreaths you shall surely earn by bitchslapping every daemon from the Ruinous Powers themselves down to the slightly possessed janitors in the Inquisitorial toilets! Every Marine wants to be the Ultramarines, and non-Codex compliant Chapters are simply playing hard to get, those silly Space Wolves! Yes sir, the Ultramarines truly live up to their name in both word and deed! ULTRA!

EDIT: But seriously though, I actually like the Salamanders and Space Wolves myself, even with the latter's current ALL WOLF ALL THE WOLFTIME shtick.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Blood Angels or Bust Blood Vessels!!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im a Dark Angels man myself. Anyone who isnt is just fooling themselves. Or playing into The Plan.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Raptors. Or Marines Malevolent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You all spell 'Flesh Tearers' very strangely.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Im a Dark Angels man myself. Anyone who isnt is just fooling themselves. Or playing into The Plan.

Sure, if you wanna follow Lion "I'majustwaithereandseeifHorusorDadwinsthewar" El'Johnson.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Please.

The Legion Of The Damned are the best.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm a big White Scars guy. Badass space biker Mongols. I can picture them driving around,rocking the gently caress out and having a fun time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ultramarines are only good when they're proper blue with bright red guns and back banners and goblin green bases and colourful shoulder pad trim, as presented in Codex Ultramarines.

Also Space Wolves should still drive Leman Russes, which I guess would mean the Blood Ravens have one lying around somewhere?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Finally got a chance to catch up; never really got into this game because it was kicking my rear end too hard in the prologue alone, might see if I can use your tips here to try again since it looks like my main problem was not understanding how things worked despite trying the tabletop version a long time back.

In regards to size comparisons, this one is rather simplistic compared to the posted photos but always amused me (linked for file size).

Veloxyll posted:

Orky tellyportas are not safer, or more reliable than the other races.

Orks are just more willing to risk half the people who go through their tellyporters dying.
And are immune to some of the other horrors that the Warp often inflicts on teleporting persons.

While the Eldar are probably comparable, they have a much higher risk of getting horribly possessed or eaten by things. So are less inclined to use their teleportation technology.

And Orks are still at the 'height' of science and development while the Edlar and Imperium are definitely in decline. So neither are really developing new teleporters.

Heck, one of the Ork heavy weapons in tabletop is the Shokk Attack Gun, which fire snotlings and the occasional too slow to run gretchin through the warp to rematerialize inside targets. It's hilariously unreliable even by Ork tech standards, which is saying something, but even funnier when it works:

Also speaking of Orks, you can tell the developers are Warhammer 40K fanboys because they snuck in a very obscure 40K reference to the Gretchin Revolutionary Committee from Gorkamorka in the introductory cutscene for the orks:

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
the best part of the Fall of Cadia is Trazyn throwing out Heresy-era ultramarines, guard regiments, and custodes from his pokeballs to fight Abbaddon

and the best Space Marines are the Mentors, because who doesn't love Green Berets in space?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This game looks almost exactly like an old game I played when I was a kid, called 'Nexus: The Jupiter Incident' (especially the combat interface, which is pretty much completely identical). Were they made by the same team?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Technowolf posted:

I think warp energy/psychic powers are one of the only things able to fully kill a C'Tan, which is why when the Old Ones made the proto-Eldar and proto-Orks during the War in Heaven they made both able to throw around a shitton of psychic energy easily. Which riled up the mostly placid Warp, which caused the first Daemons to spawn, which resulted in the first three Chaos Gods (Tzeentch, Khorne, & Nurgle) forming, which eventually led to the current shitshow. Thanks, Old Ones!

Progenitor races always end up making things worse.

DatonKallandor posted:

Well not with that attitude they can't. :colbert:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Chapter 1, Part 2, wherein I weigh in on your "best chapter/legion" discussion.

Mister Bates posted:

This game looks almost exactly like an old game I played when I was a kid, called 'Nexus: The Jupiter Incident' (especially the combat interface, which is pretty much completely identical). Were they made by the same team?

No they weren't, but that game is much better at being good at tactical combat. I intend to LP that after this game.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No they weren't, but that game is much better at being good at tactical combat. I intend to LP that after this game.

I'll absolutely be looking forward to that. Please link it in here once you start it, if possible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fighting Farmers were, indeed, the best.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You think the Bruce-Wayne chapter are the coolest of the traitor legions? The Burning Pyres had the best colour scheme.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Samovar posted:

You think the Bruce-Wayne chapter are the coolest of the traitor legions? The Burning Pyres had the best colour scheme.

I've got a soft spot for the Iron Warriors since I like Perturabo, but I love the petty, cowardly Night Lords and their daddy issues. When I was first reading Horus Heresy I had decided that Emperor's Children would be my favourites, but then Fulgrim and his dildos happened.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The what now?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

my dad posted:

The what now?

Even after I read the entirety of fulgrim's backstory and multiple GW retcons this is still my reaction.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fulgrim is bad, the Emperor's Children are bad and Slaneesh is bad (other than noise marines). That book is full of orgies and dildos and is generally not a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Fulgrim is bad, the Emperor's Children are bad and Slaneesh is bad (other than noise marines). That book is full of orgies and dildos and is generally not a great time.

All I remember is the talking sword and Ferrus Manus dismissively insulting Fulgrim's art masterpiece without knowing it. I guess there were a few rewrites since I bought my copy.

• Locked thread