Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm more confident about Chibnall than I was because he's going to make it more of a writers' room sort of deal, and an issue the show has run into both recently and near the end of RTD's run was that after a few years with these very identifiable creators at the helm you sorta know all their tricks, so it's like "oh, a nonlinear timey-wimey plot twist AGAIN." Now we're presumably going to get more a mix of voices. (I kinda wish they'd bring back creator ownership of new monsters/characters in the bargain but I doubt that's in the cards.)

It would have been nice to see Capaldi in that new environment because I think even by Season 8 (which was Moffat's fourth season, of course) we were in that familiar stage and that did slightly hamper the fun, but he's still been an amazing Doctor and I hope he makes the most of S10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/826475162379825152

More Ice Warriors

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The "New Kind of Ice Warrior" worries me greatly.

We're all in agreement- the work they did on the Ice Warrior in the suit was great. The CGI thing...not so much. Right?

I really don't want them to take away the clunky suit look.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Megaspel posted:

Also, unrelated question. How does everyone feel about the main character on this show, who's name is "Doctor Who"? You know, the character who is called "Doctor Who", my friend Doctor Who, the doctor guy who's name is Doctor Who?

Doctor Who is required

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

We're all in agreement- the work they did on the Ice Warrior in the suit was great. The CGI thing...not so much. Right?

I really don't want them to take away the clunky suit look.

Might be talking about something along the lines of how the Ice Lord is different from an Ice Warrior.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Codependent Poster posted:

I would do anything for Hayley Atwell to be the next Doctor.

I'd prefer she got to do a third season of Agent Carter (and that it was more like season 1 than season 2) :smith:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Heard that Capaldi is leaving after this new season yesterday and I'm bummed out. I should be used to this by now, but I won't be able to watch the new eps when they come out without the dread of another Christmas Special regeneration looming.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

echoplex posted:

Doctor Who is loving hard work, to be fair.

And I think it's gotten harder as t he show has gathered more and more international success (plus, it seems like you've basically got to stick with the show for five years to get three seasons out of it these days). There's a reason only Tom Baker did it as long as he did. Three or four years is hard enough.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm more confident about Chibnall than I was because he's going to make it more of a writers' room sort of deal, and an issue the show has run into both recently and near the end of RTD's run was that after a few years with these very identifiable creators at the helm you sorta know all their tricks, so it's like "oh, a nonlinear timey-wimey plot twist AGAIN." Now we're presumably going to get more a mix of voices. (I kinda wish they'd bring back creator ownership of new monsters/characters in the bargain but I doubt that's in the cards.)

It would have been nice to see Capaldi in that new environment because I think even by Season 8 (which was Moffat's fourth season, of course) we were in that familiar stage and that did slightly hamper the fun, but he's still been an amazing Doctor and I hope he makes the most of S10.

This is great news. I don't have enough experience of Chibnall's work to have an opinion of him but this addresses what I regard as the single biggest weakness of NuWho. RTD and Moffat have done great things for Doctor Who but it felt like they stretched themselves too thin. Delegation might also take care of those annoying gap years Bicyclops mentioned. I never understood why the insisted on trying to do it all themselves instead of relying on the old school model of Producer, Script Editor for continuity of theme/voice, and hired writers as necessary to fill out the volume the Script Edditor couldnt produce all by himself.

Jerusalem posted:

I'd prefer she got to do a third season of Agent Carter (and that it was more like season 1 than season 2) :smith:

Oh man, me too. It makes me so sad there's no more Agent Carter (and Jarvis! And Howard!) on the horizon. I hope she gets some more screen time. Even a TV movie or something. She's in a better place than retired Doctors. She can keep coming back, if willing, unto the end of her days.

But Atwell is so cool in and of herself. Having her as The Doctor would be a hell of a consolation prize. Maybe with James D'Arcy as one of her companions? Too much? Maybe. But could we have more than one companion at a time?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WELP TIME FOR A NEW DOCTOR

They're gonna gently caress it up like Brexit aren't they? :suicide:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if we're floating candidates for female Doctors I vote Julia Davis, she's really good at being hilarious and kind of terrifying at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-Q4P-tKnc

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Plum the Nth posted:

This is great news. I don't have enough experience of Chibnall's work to have an opinion of him but this addresses what I regard as the single biggest weakness of NuWho. RTD and Moffat have done great things for Doctor Who but it felt like they stretched themselves too thin. Delegation might also take care of those annoying gap years Bicyclops mentioned. I never understood why the insisted on trying to do it all themselves instead of relying on the old school model of Producer, Script Editor for continuity of theme/voice, and hired writers as necessary to fill out the volume the Script Edditor couldnt produce all by himself.

Yeah that's one thing about RTD and Moffat is that they almost immediately decided to start trying to do other poo poo, producing and working on other shows at the same time, like they were bored with just doing one thing. Then they got spread too thin and the show suffered. Hopefully Chibnall will just focus on Who for the next few years.

I'm not thrilled about losing Peter, especially since it would have been interesting to see him under a new showrunner, it's shades of Tennant leaving with RTD all over again. I find it interesting too that yet again we see a huge gap in production and then the lead decides to leave. Hopefully a lesson can be learned there! But at least with Peter we got to see an older Doctor again, a more prickly, less cute character. I loved Tennant and Smith, but I was worried that the new mold for The Doctor would always be some young sexy thing. Giving us Peter proves we can always go back to that, so it makes it OK even if the new Doctor is young. Same with John Hurt to be fair. Hopefully they get someone who is a fan and gets the show no matter their age.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

Kenneth Clarke for Thirteenth Doctor.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Well, no. The new Doctor is too important to put to public vote. Unless you mean the BBC caused Brexit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Beeb has some suggestions.

As usual, some fairly unlikely names proposed (Emma Watson? Andy Serkis? Bit busy doing movies these days, I imagine!) but nothing as bad as the Daily Mail suggesting Catherine Zeta-Jones was a very likely possibility to succeed David Tennant.

Liv Colman would be excellent, and as they note, she's got a decent working relationship with Chibnall already.
I'm a little confused as to why they put Tate and not Piper, considering Billie basically auditioned for the role about 3 years ago.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I want them go all out and cast an even older female Doctor: Kathryn Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-nEG_jNEeE&t=25s

Someone brought her up in the last thread, and she just seems so perfectly odd.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Liv Colman would be excellent, and as they note, she's got a decent working relationship with Chibnall already.

Sure, I imagine that if you're the showrunner, you'd probably like to be able to say you're starring Golden Globe AwardTM-winning and Primetime Emmy AwardTM-nominated actress Olivia Colman in the lead role. :D

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
She is in everything lately.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This month's Listener's title from Big Finish is Robophobia. A sequel to a 4th doctor story, starring the 7th Doctor, and introducing a companion of the 8th Doctor.

It's good. For $2.99, pick it up.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

This month's Listener's title from Big Finish is Robophobia. A sequel to a 4th doctor story, starring the 7th Doctor, and introducing a companion of the 8th Doctor.

It's good. For $2.99, pick it up.

One of my favorite BF stories, seconding this recommendation

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

And More posted:

I want them go to all out and cast an even older female Doctor: Kathryn Hunter.

They'll never do it in a million years, but if they did it would be the only possible reason I could think of that would convince me to go watch the location filming of something

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

One of my favorite BF stories, seconding this recommendation

Also let's all just appreciate this cover

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

I want them go to all out and cast an even older female Doctor: Kathryn Hunter.

if we're gonna go older there's really only one choice

If you thought Capaldi was channeling Hartnell, you ain't seen nothin' yet

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Speaking of harry potter, apparently Capaldi has said that he'd like to see Frances De La Tour in the role.

Also something about UK bookies odds have Ben Wishaw as the favorite.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NarkyBark posted:

Speaking of harry potter, apparently Capaldi has said that he'd like to see Frances De La Tour in the role.

Giving it to another white man seems like a mistake- there was so much interest and questioning over the issues of "why not a female Doctor" or "why not a POC?" last time, Peter Capaldi made a good enough change at least from the trend of younger actors, but now I feel like there's enough pressure that they should go ahead and try for some diversity in the lead.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

NarkyBark posted:

I really wanted them to make Capaldi super cranky as a doctor. Dismissive and no time for anyone's poo poo. He's so good at it, it seems like a waste.
They had a decent amount of that in his first series, then made him into a big softy wet blanket for his second, but he got better towards the end... right in time for two sappy heartwarming Christmas specials in a row

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They shouldn't hire a woman just because, they should hire the best person for the role.

So.... obviously Olivia Colman!

LordZoric posted:

She is in everything lately.

With good cause!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Jerusalem posted:

With good cause!

Absolutely! I was just referring to that joke from the Five-ish Doctors Reboot. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LordZoric posted:

Absolutely! I was just referring to that joke from the Five-ish Doctors Reboot. :)

Since Capaldi announced he is leaving the role, Colin Baker has been standing on his ride-on mower :3:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Burkion posted:

After seeing the latest season of Sherlock I want Gatiss to gently caress off forever, and think that his New Ice Warrior will be played by him and be the smartest, handsomest, bestest Ice Warrior that all the other IWs look up to.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NarkyBark posted:

This happens every time. When Smith announced he was leaving, the bookies were putting huge odds on Ben Daniels being locked in; when Tennant said he was done, everyone was putting money on Paterson Joseph and saying it was a done deal. The BBC does a pretty good job of keeping the process under wraps right until the day or so before the actual announcement (I think in Capaldi's case, everyone knew it was him the day before because the bookmakers stopped the betting after a flood of money came in on him and then some goober on Twitter leaked it).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

After seeing the latest season of Sherlock I want Gatiss to gently caress off forever

I really, really liked the first two episodes of the latest season of Sherlock.

Those first two episodes of the latest season of Sherlock were really good.

There were 3 episodes... :negative:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

2house2fly posted:

They had a decent amount of that in his first series, then made him into a big softy wet blanket for his second, but he got better towards the end... right in time for two sappy heartwarming Christmas specials in a row

It was a nice evolution of his character I thought. I liked how he was melding the aspects of his personality into a cohesive whole as time went on. It's fun watching him soften up.

While I'm at it, I hope there's more Doctor being a rockstar in his final series. I know lots of people didn't like it, but that poo poo was extremely my bag.

I will always think of 12 in his Raybans, on a tank, wielding his axe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The buildup through season 8 to the climax of Mummy on the Orient Express was handled just fantastically. Clara blowing up at this unfeeling rear end in a top hat who replaced HER Doctor only for THE DOCTOR to make his triumphant return was just fantastic :hellyeah:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AndyElusive posted:

It was a nice evolution of his character I thought. I liked how he was melding the aspects of his personality into a cohesive whole as time went on. It's fun watching him soften up.

While I'm at it, I hope there's more Doctor being a rockstar in his final series. I know lots of people didn't like it, but that poo poo was extremely my bag.

I will always think of 12 in his Raybans, on a tank, wielding his axe.

12 as an aging rockstar that's still got it is the best part of his run, don't feel bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

The buildup through season 8 to the climax of Mummy on the Orient Express was handled just fantastically. Clara blowing up at this unfeeling rear end in a top hat who replaced HER Doctor only for THE DOCTOR to make his triumphant return was just fantastic :hellyeah:

I like that episode :3:

Anyone have any contacts at Buckingham Palace? I think we need a royal decree that no actor/actress under 40 ever be cast as the Doctor, and that under 50 only be permitted in an emergency. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have any contacts at Buckingham Palace? I think we need a royal decree that no actor/actress under 40 ever be cast as the Doctor, and that under 50 only be permitted in an emergency. :colbert:

Look what you did! :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tim Burns Effect posted:

if we're gonna go older there's really only one choice

If you thought Capaldi was channeling Hartnell, you ain't seen nothin' yet

She can't play the Doctor, she needs to stay available to play Granny Weatherwax. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm way late on this now, but the writers' room thing seems okay. I get how it will alleviate some signature writing quirks, but like, I don't know. Most of the television shows I watch have a writers' room, and some of my favorites, like Black Mirror, don't. Writers' rooms have some enormous advantages but there is a "written by committee" feel that can happen sometimes, and like, for example, The Wife of the Doctor is very, very definitely a Neil Gaiman episode. It has all of his infuriating quirks and all of his endearing signatures (and which thing falls into which category depends on whose side you're on), but it's an episode that I love, and I'm not sure that I would if it had been thrown into a writers' room. In fact, I think some of what sapped his later Cyberman episode of fun was outside editing. (Only some - the high stakes chess game definitely falls victim to exactly what you're saying - we know Neil's tricks. We know how it's going to play out, and it isn't strong enough to make up for it).

Some of Doctor Who's uniqueness is the way it straddles so many fences. It's a weird mixture of being an anthology show, a monster of the week show, and a show that cares about greater continuity. I worry that a writers' room is going to focus too much on the latter.

• Locked thread