Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
But it doesn't sound like the 5K display is itself causing interference, it's just very sensitive to a common form of interference that most other devices tolerate well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Ok Tim ,release new iMacs, my 2007 model is now in hospice

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Khablam posted:

Never in the history of anything Apple have I ever been asked for a receipt. Simply holding the device was always enough for any warranty service.

This doesn't sound right. Testing and regulations basically prevent a product being certified that causes that level of interference.
All TVs will mess about with a wireless router, what's unique about this monitor is likely that it's larger and draws power closer to a TV than a monitor.
I'm sceptical this is an issue.

I think a lovely journalist has applied a lot of click-bait and supposition to those very broad diagnostic steps companies put out to cover their asses. Might as well say "Apple monitors cause epilepsy, a rep said it might".
i don't see how this is click-bait if LG themselves confirmed the issue?

Eletriarnation posted:

But it doesn't sound like the 5K display is itself causing interference, it's just very sensitive to a common form of interference that most other devices tolerate well.

yeah regulations usually just say you have to "accept" the interference which it seems like the LG monitor is doing. this part is weirder to me:

quote:

If that wasn't bad enough, 9to5Mac's Zac Hall reports that his LG 5K monitor, under the duress of a nearby Wi-Fi router, can freeze the MacBook Pro that it's plugged into, forcing a reboot to bring it back. When he moved the router (an Apple AirPort Extreme) from beside the monitor to another room, everything went back to normal.

if this is true, is the monitor sending something to the mbp and garbling it up?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So should I move my Time Capsule away from my smart TV then? First I've heard of tv's causing problems with wifi.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

YOSPOS thinks it's just the Verges "journalists" being idiots and I'm inclined to agree. As does the tech journalists wife apparently.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a dogshit Linksys E1500 $25 router and it's on the tv stand with a Samsung 65" tv and I don't have any wifi issues

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

well why not posted:

Logitech MX master lasts a week off of a 20 minute charge, can be used whilst the miniUSB is plugged in, has two scroll wheels (one is flywheel) and back / forward buttons. It also looks pretty professional.

The second scroll wheel is easier for some people to use than the Apple mouse's touch system. You can probably game on it if you wanted. It's designed to fit the shape of a human hand.

They're the same price but to me it's a clearly better choice. Magic Trackpads are cool too.

logitech drivers are garbage though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

MrBond posted:

logitech drivers are garbage though.

YMMV but I used an MX Master with a 13" Haswell MBP over Bluetooth several times over the course of several months and never had any issues.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you install mouse drivers

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The logitech drivers make the mouse acceleration work much better. The default OSX acceleration sucks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mu Zeta posted:

The logitech drivers make the mouse acceleration work much better. The default OSX acceleration sucks

I zero acceleration out in ControllerMate.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I have a dogshit Linksys E1500 $25 router and it's on the tv stand with a Samsung 65" tv and I don't have any wifi issues

Same here, no tv issues either.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Boiled Water posted:

I had this issue with an older dlink router and a 2010 MBA but never could figure out what caused it.

fak.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can the SSD or ram be upgraded on these or no?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sex swing from IKEA posted:

You cannot upgrade the ram on any MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro. However, you can replace the SSD with another OEM drive from eBay, but they are expensive as gently caress. On the new Retina Macbook Pros you can't upgrade poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/31/q1-2017-results/

Apple made like 80 billion dollars last quarter, so there will be more TouchBars and even less headphone jacks in our futures.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Apple made like 80 billion dollars last quarter, so there will be more TouchBars and even less headphone jacks in our futures.

The market has spoken, and it gives zero shits about headphone ports or needing dongles.

(I still think the touchbar is stupid)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

No, there's only one 15" in the refurb store.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

They all got cleared out a few days ago

EDIT: They literally just showed up 2 minutes after I posted this. Your link said OOS earlier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...9999&rmvSB=true

Manufacturer refurbished mid-2015's on eBay (integrated graphics model)

i7, 15" 2880x1800, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, 1-uear warrantyt

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bob Morales posted:

Weren't they giving credit to those sakes to iPhone though?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

What? My plan is to have like, one port power, one port USB-C to TB2-hdmi dongle to monitor, one port USB-C to USB, to a hub, to my peripherals. Will this not work? I mean it'll be hella laptop spider, but I don't care.

This must be what it felt like to be an early adopter of FireWire. And thunderbolt.

Wait, I was one of those, and USB-C is worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
USB‐C is cool & good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...9999&rmvSB=true

Manufacturer refurbished mid-2015's on eBay (integrated graphics model)

i7, 15" 2880x1800, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, 1-uear warrantyt

IMHO, I wouldn't pull the trigger for this.. the Brooklyn location makes me think it's a warehouse where all returned machines from Adorama or B&H wound up. Refurbishing meant that they got powered up for 60 seconds, booted to the OS welcome screen, then shut the gently caress off and shoved back into a box covered in greasy fingerprints.

Apple wouldn't sell off their refurbished machines through any other means other than the refurb page, for them it's a gold mine since they often don't put a big discount on their refurbs.

"Operating System Not Specified by Manufacturer" makes me think they were too lazy to even check what OS was installed.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 1, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know what’s annoying about MBP ports?

Having the 3.5″ audio jack on the right side of the machine.

Who thought that was a good idea? The cord comes out of the left side of the headphones. Clearly it should enter the computer on the left side, which is coincidentally the side that doesn’t interfere with a mouse.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

On the 2013-2015 rMBPs both 13 and 15 inch, it's on the left side. Guess that's another reason to stick to the last-gen models..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

You know what’s annoying about MBP ports?

Having the 3.5″ audio jack on the right side of the machine.

Who thought that was a good idea? The cord comes out of the left side of the headphones. Clearly it should enter the computer on the left side, which is coincidentally the side that doesn’t interfere with a mouse.

Ghost stebe thinks your corded headphones suck.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

YoY iPhone sales are pretty flat (~2%). That has to be a little worrying for Apple. They say sales for flat in China, or up 6% if the Yuan had been stable. YoY for "Macs" (I'm guessing this means both desktop and laptops) was ~3.77%? And they "fell short" of analyst projections.

The drop in iPad sales he attributes to supply issues. (~33% though??)

Tim Cook posted:

We had the benefit of a 14th week, but this was offset by several factors: Less channel fill than last year, iPhone launched earlier last year, one-time $548 million patent judgement receipt last year.

From Wikipedia, iPhone 6s launched Sep 25 2015, 7 launched Sep 16 2016... Anyone know what he is referring to with launches or is he just mistaken?

I don't think anyone thought MBPs and iPhones weren't going to sell very well to the general public but all I can see from them right now is what happened to Microsoft. Got complacent, ignored certain parts of their market and then slowly lost mindshare with certain groups that ended up costing them a lot.

AirPods are pretty interesting but I'm kinda turned off by the lack of a volume control other than asking Siri. Seems a little pointless for my own personal use to have wireless headphones but have to go into your pocket to control the volume or change songs. I imagine though this is where most of their new $$$ will come in from. They still look kinda stupid seeing them out in the wild but maybe it just takes getting used to.

Literally said nothing about desktops other than Macs have strong performance, especially MacBook w/ Touchbar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Weren't they giving credit to those sakes to iPhone though?

That vast majority was iPhones.

IPhones up over last year and account for around 70% of their revenue.

Macs up by $500 million (attributed to latest rMBP)

iPads down from $ 7 billion to around $5 billion

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sex swing from IKEA posted:

RAM can't be upgraded, but do you really need more than 8gb? OWC offers drop-in SSDs.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

flosofl posted:

The market has spoken, and it gives zero shits about headphone ports or needing dongles.

(I still think the touchbar is stupid)

Anecdote incoming: The use case for laptops with apples on them I've seen in and around university is without anything attached, no mice no nothing. Only plug that ever goes near computers are on occasion a flash drive and otherwise just the power plug.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boiled Water posted:

Anecdote incoming: The use case for laptops with apples on them I've seen in and around university is without anything attached, no mice no nothing. Only plug that ever goes near computers are on occasion a flash drive and otherwise just the power plug.

Counter-anecdote: the typical use case for laptops (with or without apples on them) in the ops center is a power cable, two or three external monitors, a proper keyboard and mouse, and a set of earphones. My 2014 MBP handles all this like a champ. Sure, everyone sometimes uses their laptop "naked", but mostly just in meetings or if hanging out on a beanbag for a while. But there's a reason we keep all that extra crap handy at our desks, and use it 90% of the time.

(Note: the term "naked" here refers to the laptop and not the user, except if one is working from home that day, in which case all bets are off.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Strong Sauce posted:

The drop in iPad sales he attributes to supply issues. (~33% though??)

There is definitely a major supply drought of iPad at the moment.
Distributors are having to recall stock from stores to ship to corporate customers instead.

People are assuming it's because of the Air3 but the investor call glosses over that.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Counter-anecdote: the typical use case for laptops (with or without apples on them) in the ops center is a power cable, two or three external monitors, a proper keyboard and mouse, and a set of earphones. My 2014 MBP handles all this like a champ. Sure, everyone sometimes uses their laptop "naked", but mostly just in meetings or if hanging out on a beanbag for a while. But there's a reason we keep all that extra crap handy at our desks, and use it 90% of the time.

(Note: the term "naked" here refers to the laptop and not the user, except if one is working from home that day, in which case all bets are off.)

In this situation with a new macbook you would use a TB3 hub, connect all your desk peripherals + ethernet to that, and then be able to connect and power your macbook with a single cable (possibly two or three depending on what monitors you use. I think there are TB3 hubs that support dual 4k monitors over a single cable). That's a massive improvement over having to connect a bunch of poo poo to your macbook, not to mention having a rats nest of cables on your desk, every time you want to move, imo!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

This has been discussed before; a good "look at my Mac" college laptop isn't 'pro'. Apple are IMO pivoting towards their status-symbol niche and away from actually trying to make a laptop a professional would use.
e.g. This used to be the difference between the MB and MBP.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Most people use their phones for music and communicating, so the headphone port isn't that necessary. The trackpad is good enough (better than most mice tbh) and airdrop works for small file transfers.

Ports are less necessary for non-superdorks. As a superdork, the ports going away is sad, but understandable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO, I wouldn't pull the trigger for this..
I would - they have 100% rating on eBay, they were blowing out 27" iMacs a couple weeks ago

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I would - they have 100% rating on eBay, they were blowing out 27" iMacs a couple weeks ago

You didn't buy from them personally, did you?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

That vast majority was iPhones.

IPhones up over last year and account for around 70% of their revenue.

Macs up by $500 million (attributed to latest rMBP)

iPads down from $ 7 billion to around $5 billion

Which, when you think about it, is pretty awesome for Apple. Most of their profit comes from a device that is upgraded pretty regularly on a 2 year cycle and even if you try to keep it longer you'll probably just drop it on the ground.

Contrast that to desktop computers that need fewer and fewer upgrades and that you hardly ever drop on the ground.

What I'm saying is no more Macs that you can't drop on the ground. Unless the Mac Mini has a handle I'm going to say that's a no go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

You didn't buy from them personally, did you?

I haven't but I would.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

well why not posted:

Most people use their phones for music and communicating, so the headphone port isn't that necessary.

gently caress watching films/television on a phone, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Platystemon posted:

gently caress watching films/television on a phone, though.

My old roomate had an iPhone 4 and had a really boring job where all he did all day was read books and watched TV shows, all on his phone.

Fucker watched like 9 complete TV series on a loving iPhone 4.