Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopper posted:

I auto-failed "Cave of Dreams" because the quest giver is now deceased, plus one other quest I can't remember, but it was also on Skellige IIRC. I got all base game Gwent cards, so that achievement is out of the way, as it is the most annoying one I guess (didn't do it for the cheevo but for the cards rather).

I haven't bothered forging anything yet, as I only play on Story & Sword and have a hard enough time find ingredients for my potions.

The trick is that there really is just a lot of stuff you have to buy for potion ingredients. I sort of figured if I just ran around the game picking every flower I found, I'd be set, but for most of the upgrades, you need to see what you're missing.

Cave of Dreams is a fun one but it's easy to miss if you don't visit Madman Lugos. One of the four or so quests that I missed is from around the same time (when you get thrown in prison just before meeting him, there's apparently a guy who lets you out and gives you a quest later if you don't just Axii the guards). The one that drives me nuts is the statue you get from the Gwent tournament that's supposed to initiate a quest. I could never get Triss to look at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Always buy:

Arenaria
Bison Grass
Blowball
Ergot Seeds
Mistletoe

Whenever you see them for sale in a shop. They're some of the most used and you can only pick them in a bunch of really loving obscure places, or not at all depending on where you are in the story.

Also I like to think that Geralt frantically buys mistletoe for the alternate purpose.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I feel like blowball's loving everywhere, there have been so many times that I've picked it up thinking it was celandine. Definitely agree on the rest though.

I'd also add allspice which seems to be used in loving everything.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that list is spot on, but don't forget Mandrake Cordial and Cherry Cordial, they are always needed and at least 2 of each per recipe to craft 2 white gulls (one to make the alchemical ingredient needed and one as ingredient in the formula itself).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hopper posted:

Yeah that list is spot on, but don't forget Mandrake Cordial and Cherry Cordial, they are always needed and at least 2 of each per recipe to craft 2 white gulls (one to make the alchemical ingredient needed and one as ingredient in the formula itself).

Oh yeah, those too. You don't have to worry about that stuff until you get into Superior recipes, though.

Blowball is the most common of those, but I would still run out. Allspice and Optima Mater came up often, but I think I was just lucky on loot pickups because I never had to go hunting for them.

Arenaria is a bitch because it only grows in that one garden (and then Yen comes along... :suicide: ) and a random stretch of Novigrad chock full of Arachnomorphs. It is in literally every loving recipe.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 31, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

And shares a model with han fibre despite potted han fibre not looking like it at all! :argh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I just got Witcher 3 GOTY for my PC, which by the way, all the Witchers are on sale on Steam right now.

The only issue is I'm still about 20% into blood and wine for my ps4, and was wanting to do new game + for my next run. What's the best way to go about this? I know there's an option to start Blood and Wine with a premade character but I dunno.

The nexus has a category for save files: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=21

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I just picked up the expansion pass, I haven't played since a couple weeks after release...I think I'm around level 18ish still searching for ciri.

Are there any mods that are must haves, or is there any info I should know going in?

It's been a long time since I've played, I'm wondering if I should just restart. But iv done so many side quests.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'd probably restart, but level 18's probably half way through the main game. Up to you, but it holds up to multiple playthroughs either way.

Recommended mod list's just been put in the second post in the thread.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Restart, read the second post or look at all mine for a mod list with links.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The quest was pretty nilfgaard-centric and involved a renegade general (and demonologist) who was doing crazy wizard poo poo in Velen. Thaler was there, and so was Vincent Meis (but he got cut early). Iorveth was in there, trying to steal something from the demon-summoning general guy so that he could cure a plague that was killing his doods. Some parts of the old story stuck around, Eye for an Eye, Patrol Gone Missing, and... uh whatever the one is with the lady who wants you to find her redheaded kid? There was also a tiny quest in the Nilfgaard camp about some soldiers who stole a pig and tried to make it look like a monster took it. It got cut because it was bad (It was my quest, I'm allowed to say that.)

The whole nilfgaardian war stuff got cut for mostly just not fitting in well with the rest of the game and simply not having enough time to finish it properly.

Welp that explains the mostly unused quest hub in velen

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopper posted:

Yeah, those are the two that confused me because they're generally bought from like, some cart vendor in Crow's Perch instead of an actual alchemy shop. It was my own fault for ignoring every food vendor, I guess.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm almost done with Hearts of Stone and I still can't get the taxman quest to trigger, the dumb idiot just stands there by the oxenfurt sewers no matter what time of day it is or what angle I come at him from or if I interact with nearby merchants. Is the quest just broken for some people?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i just beat blood and wine and now i'm angry that i have no more witcher and i have to move on with my life

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That DICK! posted:

i just beat blood and wine and now i'm angry that i have no more witcher and i have to move on with my life

Been there done that

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That DICK! posted:

new game+

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm almost done with Hearts of Stone and I still can't get the taxman quest to trigger, the dumb idiot just stands there by the oxenfurt sewers no matter what time of day it is or what angle I come at him from or if I interact with nearby merchants. Is the quest just broken for some people?

How much money do you have?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

That DICK! posted:

Welcome to the club, friend. Meetings on Wednesdays.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

How can anyone use anything OTHER than freezing Aard in this? Did my first Hanse, used the secondary Aard with 6 or 7 guys around me, literally 3 of them were instantly ripped in half with their torsos flung off into the distance. Wish I had been by my keyboard to freeze frame and take a screenshot, because holy poo poo.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Fuzz posted:

How can anyone use anything OTHER than freezing Aard in this? Did my first Hanse, used the secondary Aard with 6 or 7 guys around me, literally 3 of them were instantly ripped in half with their torsos flung off into the distance. Wish I had been by my keyboard to freeze frame and take a screenshot, because holy poo poo.

I love game breaking spells. I haven't put anything into Aard though. Is it worth taking the reset potion?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I love game breaking spells. I haven't put anything into Aard though. Is it worth taking the reset potion?

I only have three points in the AoE skill to max it out. I have one block of sign skills with a greater blue (rest are red and combat skills) and two greater Aard runes on my gloves, that's it. With that alone my Aard is something ridiculous like +240% and lays out dudes and freezes/cools other stuff pretty readily. I use Better Trophies, as well, and there are a few trophies that add 10-20% to Aard specifically. I'm also using Focus and the skill that starts you with a point of Adrenaline, which adds a bit. No real need to actually put points into it.

In general I'm finding Sign skills are mainly just about added duration/utility, not power. Boosting sign power is easy as hell without wasting skill points/slots.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fuzz posted:

I only have three points in the AoE skill to max it out. I have one block of sign skills with a greater blue (rest are red and combat skills) and two greater Aard runes on my gloves, that's it. With that alone my Aard is something ridiculous like +240% and lays out dudes and freezes/cools other stuff pretty readily. I use Better Trophies, as well, and there are a few trophies that add 10-20% to Aard specifically. I'm also using Focus and the skill that starts you with a point of Adrenaline, which adds a bit. No real need to actually put points into it.

In general I'm finding Sign skills are mainly just about added duration/utility, not power. Boosting sign power is easy as hell without wasting skill points/slots.

I always found Igni more fun at the Hanses (or any group fight) - immediately 4-6 guys are on fire. Will have to try freezing Aard this time around.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Thanks for the tips. What is the "freezing" part of Aard? Are you putting freezing runes on your weapons and armor?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Thanks for the tips. What is the "freezing" part of Aard? Are you putting freezing runes on your weapons and armor?

It's a mutation you can get - a mechanic introduced once you do a quest in the Blood & Wine expansion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

10 Beers posted:

Welcome to the club, friend. Meetings on Wednesdays.
Yep, we're basically Witcher Anonymous at this point. There are people still hanging in the thread that finished the game not long after release.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Witcher 3 has been my computer benchmark. Every time I upgrade a piece of my computer, I fire up this game just to see how much closer to max settings I can get things.

And then I end up playing through the entire game again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
i've been thinking about playing for the second time.

What would you say is the most over powered build in the game? I'm aching to see how much it can be broken. The first time I ended up with a virtual immunity to death blows due to some combination of perks, so that was interesting. Also Quen in combination with combo abilities turned out to be great because getting hit with Quen on doesn't interrupt combos. Anything else?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

How much money do you have?

I had like 30k when I went into the sewers for the toad quest, 5 K now when I found out the taxman quest exists because I upgraded a bunch of Witcher gear.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Join the club. When I finished B&W I started reading the books. I'm almost done now with them now, though :smith:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

i've been thinking about playing for the second time.

What would you say is the most over powered build in the game? I'm aching to see how much it can be broken. The first time I ended up with a virtual immunity to death blows due to some combination of perks, so that was interesting. Also Quen in combination with combo abilities turned out to be great because getting hit with Quen on doesn't interrupt combos. Anything else?

If you do NG+ you can start with the Euphoria mutagen which gives you bonus damage for every point of toxicity, there's also a potions skill which gives you extra toxicity for every recipe you learn. Take the potion which restores some damage done as health and equip the rune which converts health restoration over 100% to damage, and watch enemies melt into nothingness.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ROFLburger posted:

Join the club. When I finished B&W I started reading the books. I'm almost done now with them now, though :smith:
There's still the TV show :suicide:.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

in this analogy Witcher 3 made us alcoholics and the TV show is like getting drunk off mouth wash

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Oh no, I'm a bad dad :negative:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Palpek posted:

Don't, it's bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I played all of Witcher 3 and the expansions, then did New Game+ and finished off all the achievements. 300+ hours put into the game.

I'm now replaying Witcher 2 and plan to transition back into a new playthrough of Witcher 3 when I'm done :cripes:

Nullkigan posted:

Oh no, I'm a bad dad :negative:

Please tell me you at least had a snowball fight :mad:

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I didn't even know there WAS a snowball fight.

I was all "it's okay to be yourself, stay calm" paticipation medal helicopter parent when I should have been teaching her to push herself harder :(

I'm not sure I can muster the effort to redo the entire game again :negative:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Please tell me you at least had a snowball fight :mad:

a Bad Ending

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Nullkigan posted:

I was all "it's okay to be yourself, stay calm" paticipation medal helicopter parent when I should have been teaching her to push herself harder :(

I'm not sure I can muster the effort to redo the entire game again :negative:

If you happen to have a save from around Final Preparations, most of the decisions which affect the ending happen then. If you're more diligent about deleting old saves than me then, uh, hey, at least you got to kill the final crone!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nullkigan posted:

http://i.imgur.com/3WxPu1d.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Cheeto posted:

Does Geralt have a single relationship with a woman that isn't hosed up and toxic?

Essi Daven