Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
He nominated Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Coffeehitler posted:

Yesterday, so SCOTUS nomination probably.

aw it looked like a new tweet :(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vengarr posted:

Steve "convinced Goldman Sachs to sink 60 million dollars into a World of Warcraft gold farming business which he sat on the board of" Bannon is probably not the master strategist he thinks he is.

They don't need strategy. They have the White House, the House, the Senate, soon to be the Supreme Court and the majority of state governships and legislatures.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Is it Morning in America, or is that just the canned sunshine getting cracked open?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I don't think the situation is as bad as some here believe. Hillary lost by relatively few votes in the key states. Trump's immigration EO may be popular with about half the electorate, but many who oppose immigration do do for economic reasons. Trump's policies will hurt these very voters, and meeting with union bosses won't help if he passes national right to work legislation. If the Dem candidate is halfway decent, many liberals who stayed home 2016 will be motivated to vote against Trump. I think you will only have to live with him as president for four years.

There's a few issues here.

A: The country has to make it to the midterms, where the Democrats are on the defensive for the Senate and Republican domination of state legislatures is near absolute. Expect to see more and worse voter ID laws in close states, a complete lack of funding for polling places in urban areas, and even sillier gerrymandering to maintain Republican control of the House.

B: Even if we assume that A isn't a problem and the protest energy continues for two years, the Democrats still have to put up a candidate who isn't diet Republican, successfully pin all of the horrible poo poo on Trump and the GOP, while not being coopted by stupid policies that the big donors want like gun control/not shifting the tax burden to the rich.

C: All of this not withstanding, Trump's administration has already showed they give zero fucks about the Constitution. Assuming anything about elections being free of partisan meddling is probably a mistake since nobody in the executive branch is going to tell Trump "no", the legislative won't touch him, and the judiciary is powerless without an enforcement mechanism in the executive.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Catering to ignorant asshats isn't going to win the Dems anything worth note.

Conversely doubling down on gun control was not the best idea for them either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Conversely doubling down on gun control was not the best idea for them either.

:shrug: Evidence says it works, and now we get 4-8 Years of people who voted for a single issue and screwed everything else.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Completely 'locked-in' patients can communicate

quote:

Patients with absolutely no control over their body have finally been able to communicate, say scientists.

A brain-computer interface was used to read the thoughts of patients to answer basic yes-or-no questions.

One man was able to repeatedly refuse permission for his daughter to get married.

The study on four patients in Germany- published in PLOS Biology - also showed they were happy despite the effects of being "locked-in".

The patients all had advanced forms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in which the brain loses the ability to control muscles.

It eventually traps people in their own body - they are able to think, but incapable of moving or talking.

When they become "locked in", it can still be possible to develop ways of communication using eye movements.

But all the patients in the study were "completely locked in" and could not even move their eyes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We could address the crippling poverty that is the root of crime, or we could convince minorities that they need to be disarmed, for their own safety. Lets ask our donors and see which one they'd like!

- A 1990s Democrat strategist

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Handed Missus posted:

aw it looked like a new tweet :(

A day late and a democrat short.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This headline is brutal, truthful, and amazing.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/826849820933574665

I already posted Donnie's 'Frederick Douglass was pretty ok, highly underrated' thing, but seriously: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.32d4afbbdcf7

https://twitter.com/jadande/status/826854504184369160

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We could address the crippling poverty that is the root of crime, or we could convince minorities that they need to be disarmed, for their own safety. Lets ask our donors and see which one they'd like!

- A 1990s Democrat strategist

Hm, yes, it's almost as if they tried to address the crippling poverty and the GOP has spent 8 years calling social program recipients 'Moochers/Leeches/Welfare Queens'

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Man, a one way ticket to Thailand in <$1000. It's tempting, if I have to live in a third world shitheap it may as well not be a fuckwit Christian police state.

Also some of the ladies there got dicks.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

quote:

One man was able to repeatedly refuse permission for his daughter to get married.

This is both heartbreakingly sad and incredibly funny to me

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Potential BFF posted:

Man, a one way ticket to Thailand in <$1000. It's tempting, if I have to live in a third world shitheap it may as well not be a fuckwit Christian police state.

Also this is their new king

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Potential BFF posted:

The Democratic Party is going global.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Please do not shitpost in CE.

Please do not make provocative arguments for their own sake. I'll be the judge of intent.

On the other hand, if someone is making a provocative argument, it should be simple and easy to ignore that person. If they are making a stupid argument, it should be easy to prove the other person wrong. Calling someone a nazi, idiot, deluded, etc. is not an argument, and will get you a probated quickly.

It takes cooperation for trolling to succeed. Think hard about whether to report instead of reply.

And remember, this is the current events thread. Manifestos and hot takes on the election don't belong here unless it's a footnote in a discussion on something current.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sky shark posted:

Nobody forced them to ram a lovely bill down everyone's throat.

People were dying from a lack of reform. Like in large numbers. ACA's problems aside, there are likely some tens of thousands of people who would not be alive today without its passage.

And this idea that the Republicans were somehow offering a meaningful alternative is laughable. Republicans outright refused to come to the table or seriously acknowledge that a lack of access to healthcare for a large swath of the country was even a problem, so most of the flawed elements of the ACA came from compromises with conservative Democrats. Even a bare handful of Republicans willing to work on "better" reforms would have allowed a bill to pass without a complete capitulation to marginal Democrats. But the unfortunate reality is that there isn't any ideological room in that party that deviates from "healthcare should be rationed by private markets", so we got the ACA.

You can say the same thing about any number of other issues. If the opposition refuses to budge from an ideological position that is just plain terrible empirically, what good is engagement? These aren't differences on how to approach issues, but fundamental disagreements in beliefs or even facts - people who can't afford healthcare aren't entitled to it, shifting the tax burden from the wealthy leads to economic growth, carbon dioxide doesn't meaningfully affect global climate, etc.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

TheQuietWilds posted:

This is both heartbreakingly sad and incredibly funny to me

John Scalzi did a book called "Locked In" it's Sci Fi, but a good read.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I don't think I saw this get posted yesterday
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/826630451125174273

summary version:
https://twitter.com/StephenCurley/status/826653415572914176

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The National Zoo stopped looking for the escaped bobcat, I think that makes it finders' keepers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Any healthcare reform is going to fail if it doesn't drastically reduce healthcare cost. Not cost growth, but actual cost. Unfortunately, that means fighting insurers, providers and pharmaceutical companies at once and lol good loving luck.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here comes a lot of pain.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/826866591249944576

Flynn yelling about Iran from the Press secretary podium in retaliation for Iran's missile test.

lol if you're still in

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Uh that was entirely unsettling.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

NSJS this would be a good thing to call your representative if they're a Democrat or Ms. Pelosi's office over.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Man, who was the guy here who thought Trump was less likely than Hillary to start another war in the Middle East?

He's been on the job for 11 days

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Spicer, "we are letting Iran know that we aren't going to sit by and not act on their actions."

4pm NSC press briefing today on actions towards Iran.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Yay, right now I just got to hear from the little boy who lives next door "Mum, it's the muslim ban, I can't go there anymore". About the US.

Err, I want to cry.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Blind Rasputin posted:

Spicer, "we are letting Iran know that we aren't going to sit by and not act on their actions."

4pm NSC press briefing today on actions towards Iran.

Full statement:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/826868102247899136

OOGA BOOGA YOU'RE ON NOTICE

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

CommieGIR posted:

Hm, yes, it's almost as if they tried to address the crippling poverty and the GOP has spent 8 years calling social program recipients 'Moochers/Leeches/Welfare Queens'

Ok, now explain the prior 40 years of the same issues affecting Democrat run inner cities.

Or call me a racist for even suggesting such a thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Meanwhile, Russian shelling has increased in Ukraine.

That's fine. Its all fine.

VikingSkull posted:

Ok, now explain the prior 40 years of the same issues affecting Democrat run inner cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

CommieGIR posted:

Meanwhile, Russian shelling has increased in Ukraine.

That's fine. Its all fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

poo poo, I forgot all our cities were in the south. Thanks!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

VikingSkull posted:

I propose that major long-term solutions for poverty cannot be effected at the city level.

Except for the "kick all the poors and homeless out" maneuver, which worked pretty well for NYC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

poo poo, I forgot all our cities were in the south. Thanks!

:ssh: The Southern Strategy didn't exclusively appeal to Southern cities. Nobody said the North wasn't hosting a bunch of closet racists.

Vengarr posted:

I propose that major long-term solutions for poverty cannot be effected at the city level.

Except for the "kick all the poors and homeless out" maneuver, which worked pretty well for NYC.

Bonus: All the cities passing non-discrimination acts only to have the State legislature finding time between screaming about state's rights to gut cities sovereignty.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

God drat the irony of this coming from a Virginia based company. So many opioid overdoses in my neck of the woods and it's only getting worse.

Of course lmao nobody can outright say that their pure white upstanding Christian child was a drug addict, and the death is an accident or natural causes and yeah I'd loving say dying from eating a fistful of oxy is a pretty natural death in Appalachia. :cripes:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Hmmm, politics, it seems, is best served at the local level. What? Inner cities? Well you see we need the Federal government for that. Goddamned Republicans!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

VikingSkull posted:

Hmmm, politics, it seems, is best served at the local level. What? Inner cities? Well you see we need the Federal government for that. Goddamned Republicans!

Are you okay? You seem to be having a stroke.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Reporter brings up quotes from Bannon saying Islam is basically pure evil, asks if Trump agrees.

Spicer doesn't even bother trying to say Bannon didn't mean that, which is kind of amazing by itself.

Then Spicer flat-out refuses to actually say Trump disagrees. "Oh, they're different people."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

It took the Feds to tell the South to stop lynching people, so, :shrug: Go Feds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: DEVOS IS ONE VOTE FROM GOING DOWN :siren:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/826870458066821121

Current vote tally likely 50-50, as two GOP senators have said they'll vote no and I believe Manchin is also a no. She's on the edge.

• Locked thread