Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Stevie Ray wouldn't even make the bottom 3 for me for the lamest members of the original nWo. VK Wallstreet, Horace, Dennis Rodman, Nick Patrick, the Disciple....all worse.

Bryan Adams (or Clark? Which one? Was it both?) and Disco are also to be considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Stevie Ray wouldn't even make the bottom 3 for me for the lamest members of the original nWo. VK Wallstreet, Horace, Dennis Rodman, Nick Patrick, the Disciple....all worse.

Louie Spicolli

Dusty Rhodes

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Disco Inferno ruled

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here is proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSUD0by7x0

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That was the exact video I wanted it to be

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Super Dan posted:

I just looked this up on wikipedia. In late WCW, Stevie Ray was doing color commentary on Thunder while Jeff Jarrett was world champion (he did feud with Booker T). Sadly, there never was a classic rivalry between slapnuts and slapjack.
Stevie Ray, as part of Harlem Heat 2000 had already proven his mettle when Big T beat Booker T for the rights to the letter T. Imagine a feud culminating in a Slap on a Pole match, after which Jeff Jarrett would be forced to come out and tell people LISTEN UP, NUTZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uODUnXf-7qc

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The King is dead...

Long live the King.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I am usually too lazy to post but:

WCW has become something that will always haunt us, taunting us, letting us know there is more and more, demanding of its' resolution and yet there is none. There's always a botched logo, always a raft, always a yoyo. There's always more and more and more. It's a Sean O'Haire bobblehead, a Jerry Flynn in ring used gi, a shirt of Kenny Kaos. It's eternal. It's the muthaship. You called for it. It came.

It's WCW. It is 4 Lyfe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The King is dead...

Long live the King.

i can find a kevin nash. yoyo, but not the spooky wcw yoyo

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
WCW missed the boat by not having a P.N. News branded yo-yo. A "Yo Baby, Yo-Yo," would have made millions.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/wresnocontext/status/819425374463545344

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WCW

Pogs

Please tell me this was a thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
WWF had tons of pogs, but I don't think WCW did. But a lot of people who were in both companies had pogs; a friend of mine had a Randy Savage one.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

i can find a kevin nash. yoyo, but not the spooky wcw yoyo

I can find a WCW Goldberg yoyo that's the same color as the spooky yoyo, but not the real deal. :smith:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Slapnut BLVD is still the real king

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If only the spooky wcw yo-yo would have helped wcw bounce back

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

its me glenda posted:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

its me glenda posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

its me glenda posted:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

its me glenda posted:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

its me glenda posted:

mods

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If anything from last night's show is going to be the new thread title it is the complete text of DDP's promo and I don't think that will fit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Daddy gets the last word!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

WCW

Pogs

Please tell me this was a thing.

Given that like 95% of IP-themed pogs were produced in some lovely Chinese paper factory with no licenses, there's like a 100% chance these exist

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WCW Worldwide uploaded the first issue of the WCW Magazine

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Clam_Juice/status/820804861881122816
https://twitter.com/tonyschiavone24/status/820807771406868480

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

crude.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Tony's Twitter makes him seem like a real rear end

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

The reality is that WCW's Monday ratings while not having moved since Russo took over, the company's Monday ratings are in better shape than under Nash, the Thursday numbers can't be fairly compared, house shows are in far worse shape and PPV's, which were plummeting with a totally embarrassing WrestleWar, have at least stopped the plummet but have shown no signs of doing anything impressive either nor have been very well received by the general public. But any trained monkey blindfolded throwing darts at the wall should also be able to be equal what Nash did.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Tony's Twitter makes him seem like a real rear end

I remember reading once that basically the only person in WCW who didn't hate Tony Schiavone's insides was (is?) Mick Foley. From all this I can only conclude that Mick Foley has the patience of saints.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

holy poo poo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If Russo has gone has Raw gotten really good yet or is that more 2000 or so?

Edit: retro observer mentions Nigel McGuinness, lays the foundation for HHH to be a big time star (the Foley feud) and finally we have some good old fashioned Chris Jericho Cant Be A Star Because He Cant Work And Is Short.

Dave helpfully mentions that not being able to work is bs, but even if true never stopped WCW before.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 18, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
In 2000 when poo poo was going bad, what was the fan thoughts on the whole thing? Was there a sense of "maybe they can turn this around!" or was it a case of people just watching the Titanic sink?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Sort of the latter for me--I basically kept watching to see how stupid and/or batshit it became, until I just sorta noped on out of it because it became more dumb than fun to me

it was something really asinine involving mind control, iirc, and I want to say it was one of those piling-on-Flair storylines, but this was mumblemumble years ago so idk

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What was the last truly great angle/feud in WCW? Flair/Bischoff "FIRE ME I'M ALREADY FIRED"?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

What was the last truly great angle/feud in WCW? Flair/Bischoff "FIRE ME I'M ALREADY FIRED"?

I'm being 100% sinciere when i say this: Meng vs Tank Abbott

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

In 2000 when poo poo was going bad, what was the fan thoughts on the whole thing? Was there a sense of "maybe they can turn this around!" or was it a case of people just watching the Titanic sink?

Once the Radicalz jumped you had to be Chris (RIP) Regal-level devoted to believe WCW would turn things around. 1999 was maybe the most unwatchable period in history but there was still hope cuz WCW had the deepest roster on the planet. But then Rey unmasked, Jericho left, Bret retired, the Radicalz were gone, Flair and Sting were damaged goods, and Goldberg was injured. There was maybe a flicker of hope among internet folks after the first Russo/Bischoff Nitro but that was fully extinguished when Arquette won the title, if not earlier.

I don't think anyone expected the company to go out of business within a year, but there was little reason to believe a turnaround would be coming anytime soon. It looked like they'd have to spend years rebuilding.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I kept hoping things would get better and no matter how bad things got, there was something to hang your hopes on - Brets run, then Booker T the next year.

By 2001 I'm pretty much watching Raw over Nitro though and giving up on WCW as competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I didn't hold out until the end. Like a lot of people, I flipped back and forth between Nitro and Raw, and just watched Nitro less and less as time went on. When Jericho and the Radicalz left, I stopped actually following anything going on in the company. Then I couldn't watch WCW anymore because of the possibility that I might see a certain person with a guitar.