Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, I wasn't cool with the doctor being played by someone younger than me. Then Matt Smith came along and proved me completely wrong so now I'm basically fine with whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think they should do an entire year of every episode starring a different actor as the Doctor.

And not only that, but the show never comments on it. No explanations, no "well you see when a Timelord accidentally jams their sonic screwdriver too far up their bum," no regenerations seen or mentioned in the story. Same companions, even.

Including the two-parters. So first part might be Judi Dench and second part might be James Earl Jones (or substitute your own preferences).

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Time to degenerate into Matt Smith.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They cast Billie Piper, but tell her she has to use that dreadful accent from the first season of Penny Dreadful.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The end starts 15 April 2017 - the airdate for the season/series premiere.

They also have the list of writers for the season – a great writer (Jamie Mathieson, Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline), a classic writer (Rona Munro, Survival) and an “oh dear God no” writer (Peter Harness, The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion, and his episode is a two-parter co-written with Moffat).

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 2, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I think there will be a remit to bring back many of the viewers who left with Tennant and I have a feeling that Chibnall maybe more similar to RTD than Moffatt.

So with that in mind a sexy young Doctor will be hired, someone who will attract a young squee happy female audience, he will have a high profile but will not have broken into the movies.

There is a logical candidate.

Harry Styles.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I think there will be a remit to bring back many of the viewers who left with Tennant and I have a feeling that Chibnall maybe more similar to RTD than Moffatt.

So with that in mind a sexy young Doctor will be hired, someone who will attract a young squee happy female audience, he will have a high profile but will not have broken into the movies.

Harry Styles.

Can he actually act? Because at this point I think I'm on board with dumb stunt casting.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Fil5000 posted:

Can he actually act? Because at this point I think I'm on board with dumb stunt casting.

He has a fairly major part in the Dunkirk movie coming up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just get Eddie Redmayne to do the 11th Doctor impression he was doing for Fantastic Beasts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Or Noah Wyle to do the one he's doing in The Librarians. Actually his is more of a mix of ten and eleven.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sad King Billy posted:

Aiden Turner (in a billowy shirt, of course).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, Idris or bust.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, Idris or bust.

Too suave.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

Or Noah Wyle to do the one he's doing in The Librarians. Actually his is more of a mix of ten and eleven.

Noah Wyle's been doing a pretty solid Eleven, and the writers aren't subtle about The Librarians being Dr Who with magic. I love the hell out of The Librarians, but you can't not take note of it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy posted:

Hmmm, so a pin-up guy, you're saying?

Ian McShane's Wikipedia entry posted:

Even before Lovejoy, McShane was a pin-up as a result of appearances in television series, such as Wuthering Heights (1967, as Heathcliff), If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969, as Charlie), Jesus of Nazareth (1977, as Judas Iscariot), and Disraeli (1978)—as well as films like Sky West and Crooked (1965) and Battle of Britain (1969).

:getin:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noah Wyle's been doing a pretty solid Eleven, and the writers aren't subtle about The Librarians being Dr Who with magic. I love the hell out of The Librarians, but you can't not take note of it.

Sure, back cover of the season one DVD I have has the blurb "Doctor Who meets Raiders of the Lost Ark" plastered across it in big letters.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Doctor? Suave?

Dream casting aside, I really respect Idris Elba for wanting to go with new characters he can define, rather than jumping into long-standing roles.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

After The War posted:

Hmmm, so a pin-up guy, you're saying?

:getin:

Ian McShane would have been a cracking 6th Doctor.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CobiWann posted:

The end starts 15 April 2017

(Peter Harness, The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion, and his episode is a two-parter co-written with Moffat).

going out with a blast of diarreah

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

going out with a blast of diarreah

A double blast. The sort where you think the person in the cubicle has finished, but it's just a brief pause before they continue their death rattle. The sort that leaves your eyes streaming from the next room over.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm willing to give Harness another chance. He did pen Kill the Moonoh crumbs...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Quit

Just

Quit giving the man work on Who

Please. Please. There are so many other writers.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Maybe it's because I marathoned through that season in one sitting, but Moon wasn't that grating to me. Maybe because that episode about the trees took its place as "worst episode this season" too quickly. Blegh.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LordZoric posted:

Maybe it's because I marathoned through that season in one sitting, but Moon wasn't that grating to me. Maybe because that episode about the trees took its place as "worst episode this season" too quickly. Blegh.

With Moon, it's worse in retrospect because now you know exactly what the writer was going for with that episode, thanks to the Zygons.

I think.

Moon's message is just so goddamn muddled and confused I'm still not sure what it was about. Regardless, there is a pattern with this man's writing.

It is not a good pattern.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

12 had a really cool moment at the end where we gazed into the time stream or whatever and saw the future of the human race post the moon turning out to be an egg. So there was that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Quit

Just

"A poem, by Burkion"

Cross posting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God not Harness again :sigh:

The_Doctor posted:

Just get Eddie Redmayne to do the 11th Doctor impression he was doing for Fantastic Beasts.

I'm very glad I wasn't the only one who thought this (I didn't like it)

Like echoplex pondered a while back, it is fun to think of Doctor Who's sets/props/wardrobes people getting the same kind of budget as the Harry Potter films at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I walked out of Fantastic Beasts and it was pretty clear that JK Rowling had just binge watched the Tennant/Smith years of Who.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not going to link it, but did anyone else see that GQ article about who should take over for Capaldi and "save the series", written by someone who apparently has neither watched nor ever enjoyed Doctor Who in any form? The one which posted stuff like "lolololo" at the suggestion that anyone other than a handsome young white guy could play the role?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Is that the one where they were under the delusion that Doctor Who had ever been about serious sci-fi when it wasn't written by Christopher H. Bidmead?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'd like it to be Tamsin Greig, especailly if she ended up alongside Gomez again.

Can't deny that I'd loving love Idris Elba to do it, I mean all those coats he wore in Luther were practically the costume. Drop the gawky autism Doctor for a bit and actually have some fun.

Obviously neither of these things will ever happen.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 3, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, I do not think Idris Elba would do Doctor Who.

I mean the guy is basically A-List level now isn't he?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, I do not think Idris Elba would do Doctor Who.

I mean the guy is basically A-List level now isn't he?

Has he gotten a lot of lead roles in Hollywood yet? He seems forever stuck in the supporting roles.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jivjov posted:

Has he gotten a lot of lead roles in Hollywood yet? He seems forever stuck in the supporting roles.

He's the lead in the Dark Tower adaptation coming out this year, so that's one at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

I'm not going to link it, but did anyone else see that GQ article about who should take over for Capaldi and "save the series", written by someone who apparently has neither watched nor ever enjoyed Doctor Who in any form? The one which posted stuff like "lolololo" at the suggestion that anyone other than a handsome young white guy could play the role?

Ah yes, the one that I believe described Chris Chibnall as a "prestige" writer and offhandedly mentioned that he had written for the show before without describing any of his episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Elba would be a dream come true but yeah, I think his career has taken off well beyond the point that he'd consider doing it.

Neil Cross did write a couple of episodes for Who that I really liked though. But I do recall reception for them was mixed here, especially for Rings of Akhaten (I loving love Rings of Akhaten)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I 100% want Rahul Kohli and Robert Buckley as the next Doctor and companion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOgDhZRMLEQ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

howe_sam posted:

He's the lead in the Dark Tower adaptation coming out this year, so that's one at least.

Ahh, I completely forgot about that! One of these days I should try reading that book series again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

(I loving love Rings of Akhaten)

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

Quit

Just

I know it's probably not the case, but seeing Stephen Moffat's name on The Zygon Inversion and the sudden swing back towards more conventional Dr Who instead of tone-deaf hate-speech made it feel like he saw what Harness had done for Invasion far far too late to fix it and was trying very hard to pull that story out of a nosedive.

But seriously, please stop giving Peter Harness work.

• Locked thread