Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

My problem with the wizard changes is it's very hard to balance a lot of cool wizard spells per-encounter. Like Slicken, for example: I can cast a spell that knocks every enemy on their rear end four times an encounter, every encounter? If you do that in PE1 it trivializes most fights (give it a try sometime!). So how does that spell work in the new system?

I'm not so concerned for other caster classes because they can do other things in addition to casting, Druids (and to a lesser extent Priests) are capable melee fighters and both have a wide array of non-spell abilities. Wizards, on the other hand, produce cool effects by casting spells, that's their entire deal, so changes to spellcasting hit Wizards much harder.

One solution is that empowered wizard spells can have additional effects, for example slicken could normally be 'causes [slow movement, for ex.]' and the empowered version is 'causes [slow movement] and trips'. I'd be down for that, but that requires a lot more effort then just increasing damage or debuff duration for each spell and I guess I'm just traumatized by games like Marvel: Heroes (to pick a current example) who always implement the solution that takes the least amount of effort. "Alright, we've changed how basically everything in the game works, do we extensively rework this character to be fun and engaging in the new system, or... *eyes drift over to big red button labeled This Character Is Bad And Not Fun Now"

I'm not despairing or anything, because if there is one company I trust to get this right it's Obsidian (or more specifically JSawyer), I'm just really hoping that the Empower system is more then 'does what the ability does already, but slightly better'. The more flexibility it gives, the better Wizards will be.

I'm going to guess one of the balancing mechanisms is cutting the number of spells per level to 1 or 2 per encounter instead of 4+.

Otherwise you'd have the insanity of like 40 per encounter spells you literally could never spend. Having like 15 with 1 of higher level spells makes things a lot more interesting.

It'd also make bonus spell talents a lot more effective and powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Zore posted:

I'm going to guess one of the balancing mechanisms is cutting the number of spells per level to 1 or 2 per encounter instead of 4+.

Otherwise you'd have the insanity of like 40 per encounter spells you literally could never spend. Having like 15 with 1 of higher level spells makes things a lot more interesting.

It'd also make bonus spell talents a lot more effective and powerful.

Yeah, this hadn't occurred to me but this is also a good idea, especially the last bit.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

All the changes sound good to me but maybe I'm a crazy person and like to see my RPG series actually evolve and try to improve the gameplay than just shovel more content into my maw. Sometimes a series taking a wrong turn is better than just stagnating.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKyazh8mUI

Multi-classing video from Josh.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A good way to cut down on the nomenclature is to just add "mind" as a prefix to all cipher combinations. Mind fighter, mind paladin, etc

$3 million stretch goal needs to be raising money to get rope kid a goiter and a lot of chocolate and rich foods so we can complete his metamorphosis into George Lucas

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Good that we have confirmation you can get subclasses in both your classes.

Also Ropekid call Cipher/Rogues soulblades tia.

And Fighters/Cipher psychic warriors

And Wizards/Ciphers psions

And Chanters/Cipher Bards :evil:

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 3, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I'm liking the future of the Big Heads feature.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Basic Chunnel posted:

A good way to cut down on the nomenclature is to just add "mind" as a prefix to all cipher combinations. Mind fighter, mind paladin, etc

$3 million stretch goal needs to be raising money to get rope kid a goiter and a lot of chocolate and rich foods so we can complete his metamorphosis into George Lucas

Why would you wish this on the poor man

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

This sounds dope (also ducks).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

isk posted:

This sounds dope (also ducks).

awww yiss ducks.

e: My only feedback don't be a dick about multiclassing.

I remember in most DnD games I've played, if you say did Fighter 1/2/3/4/5, and then did Wizard at 6, you'd lose a BAB because you only got that at Fighter 6. When you eventually jumped back to Fighter at 7, you would never see that BAB again. You entirely hosed yourself due to not knowing something you couldn't have ever known about unless you previously played a Fighter or had the rulebook in front of you. Had you done Fighter 1/2/3/4, then Wizard at 5, followed by Fighter at 6, you'd have only taken a slight knock to HP but got the BAB.

It also just might have been BG dual classing, I'm not sure of the specific difference. I just know I got really burned trying to make cool multiclasses in BG through dual classing, and then got burned again in another DnD RPG a few years later by that BAB scenario happening to me. I'm cool with it not really working for dumb combinations ( don't be a Priest/Rogue! What do you get from that. ), but if I make a cool combination like Fighter/Wizard and then lose crucial Fighter stuff just because I didn't know I was going to get it at level 4 or something, I'm not going to be multiclassing.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 3, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Aw poo poo, there were a ton of alternative names for enemy classes (eg battlemages, or were they warmages) that they could use for hybrid classes now. It being a piratey setting they've got to bring back Shanty-Singers.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Zore posted:

Good that we have confirmation you can get subclasses in both your classes.

Also Ropekid call Cipher/Rogues soulblade tia.

And Fighter/Cipher psionic warriors

And Wizars/Ciphers psions

Which class is Dragon King, and can I turn Deadfire into Dark Sun?

On the topic of double VO, I wish they were more clear. Twice as much what? Double compared to Pillars? More than that? I'd prefer it to be defined, such as the critical path being fully voiced or companions and their quests. There's no way to know what this stretch goal means when we eventually boot up Pillars 2.

Edit:

Feargus on Fig posted:

I do hear you. Personally, I really do want to add more VO to the game, so what we can have complete VO conversations and make sure that the increased dialog with companions will also all be voiced.

So that is a little more concrete at least. I disliked characters cutting in and out of VO between lines, so fully voiced companions is sweet.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 3, 2017

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
PoE 2 is still going to have the option to respec your character right? If you implement an AD&D-style multiclassing system it would be a little less flexible in that you have to make your choice up-front, but if you can just respec later I don't see that being a big hurdle?

Seems like a better solution to asking people to sperg out over which level to take when (though I mean being totally up-front I am one of the kind of people who would do just that)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

EXCLUSIVE titles for each multiclass option??? gently caress yes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's 11 classes, 55 multiclass variations, and 22 subclasses. That's a lot of fricking names.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
"Name a multiclass" obviously needs to be a backer level now.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I remember in most DnD games I've played, if you say did Fighter 1/2/3/4/5, and then did Wizard at 6, you'd lose a BAB because you only got that at Fighter 6. When you eventually jumped back to Fighter at 7, you would never see that BAB again. You entirely hosed yourself due to not knowing something you couldn't have ever known about unless you previously played a Fighter or had the rulebook in front of you. Had you done Fighter 1/2/3/4, then Wizard at 5, followed by Fighter at 6, you'd have only taken a slight knock to HP but got the BAB.

In 3/3.5 you got the extra attack whenever your BAB hit a multiple of 6. So as soon as you got to +6 you went to +6/+1, no matter what combination of classes got you there. So a Fighter 6/Wizard 1 would have a +6 from fighter and +0 from wizard and so they'd be +6/+1.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My recollection is that you got the extra attack at 5N+1, so at +11 it would be +11/+6/+1

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

FreeKillB posted:

My recollection is that you got the extra attack at 5N+1, so at +11 it would be +11/+6/+1

This is correct.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bongwizzard posted:

I don't think it's especially bad and I also like Action RPGs, but there are already a ton of each out there while there is basicly nothing else like IE/PoE1 happening. I am currently retrying both Dragon Age: Origins and Divinity; Original Sin to see if I could get into them and nighter have managed to grab me the way the BG1/2 or PoE1 managed too.

Actually, is there an Action RPG thread? I have the itching for some clicking and there are like a million of them on Steam right now and idk anything about any of them anymore.

Take a small break from PoE and go try out PoE to scratch the arpg itch.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rookersh posted:

awww yiss ducks.

e: My only feedback don't be a dick about multiclassing.

It also just might have been BG dual classing, I'm not sure of the specific difference. I just know I got really burned trying to make cool multiclasses in BG through dual classing, and then got burned again in another DnD RPG a few years later by that BAB scenario happening to me. I'm cool with it not really working for dumb combinations ( don't be a Priest/Rogue! What do you get from that. ), but if I make a cool combination like Fighter/Wizard and then lose crucial Fighter stuff just because I didn't know I was going to get it at level 4 or something, I'm not going to be multiclassing.
We've tried to avoid this by using a scale with the required granularity. +1 can't really be reduced (excepting things like "half ranks" of skills). The scale for Power Source is such that +3 represents a full level of progress and +1 is (obviously) a third of that. There are no levels where you get 0 points in a source and every level is always +3 in the current class' source, +1 in the alternate(s).

rope kid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 3, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
This video makes me want to play around with a character generator for several hours. Or days.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

That is a huge box of Nerds, how apropo

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

neat. hey, that handwriting on the whiteboard is way too neat to be written by our pal Josh. Josh is really good at explaining game design concepts, he should write a book about it someday.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

That multiclassing video got me hyped as hell to sit around pondering character ideas and how to advance them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zore posted:

Also Ropekid call Cipher/Rogues soulblades tia.

As amusing as that is, clearly they are Mindtakers.

neurotic
Apr 27, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

That multiclassing video got me hyped as hell to sit around pondering character ideas and how to advance them.

hell^yeah. and if they actually are able to pull off all 55 combinations and "balance" everything that will be quite an achievement.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I've got a real quick question about WM2 ending--When I'm getting philosophical with the eyeless, it's only letting me make a couple points under each, uh, umbrella. Like I can mention being a watcher and Maneha's memory loss, but then I can't bring up Zahua. This has me wondering if I've rendered myself unable to temper Abydon by siding pro-animancy in the hearing. The party I've got with me is Aloth/Devil/Pallegina/Maneha/Zahua.

I don't really know how to go poking around in the code to figure this out, unfortunately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

rope kid posted:

We've tried to avoid this by using a scale with the required granularity. +1 can't really be reduced (excepting things like "half ranks" of skills). The scale for Power Source is such that +3 represents a full level of progress and +1 is (obviously) a third of that. There are no levels where you get 0 points in a source and every level is always +3 in the current class' source, +1 in the alternate(s).

Someone yesterday raised a concern about splashing one level of a secondary class being too attractive. For example, if you're a wizard and you take one level of fighter, you're giving up 2 Arcane, but in return, even if you never take another level of fighter, you're getting 20 Discipline (by level 18), with all of the fighter abilities that entails.

Is there some scaling mechanism in place so that 20 of a power source isn't actually all that great--for example, would your fighter abilities be so weak as to be borderline useless with 20 Discipline at level 18? Or is there a final power level that you can only reach at 54 of a power source (single class all the way to 18) so that giving up 2 of one for 20 of another is a bigger trade-off than it seems?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 3, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Looking at the thresholds in the video, 20 Discipline would reach Power Level 4, which would be the abilities a single-classed fighter would get at level 7. That is hopefully enough to provide a little utility and flexibility, but probably would be underpowered in various aspects when doing level 18 content.

I assume that reaching that final level gives you something specific and useful (although by the listed progression Power Level 9 at 50 points would be the end, unless of course the pattern breaks at the end), which would provide room to balance the single-class purist against someone that single level of multiclassing (which might happen somewhat often, given that players might use it to in effect shift the classes of the fixed companions).

e: reading what rope kid is saying, it won't even be as much as a level 7 fighter gets, because the system appears to be 'you gain abilities directly by leveling up the class, but they're scaled by the class' Power Level.' This means that taking one (or two, if I'm doing my math right) levels of fighter in our example will give our hypothetical multiclass character only a fraction of the fighter options that a pure 7th level fighter gets.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

Someone yesterday raised a concern about splashing one level of a secondary class being too attractive. For example, if you're a wizard and you take one level of fighter, you're giving up 2 Arcane, but in return, even if you never take another level of fighter, you're getting 20 Discipline (by level 18), with all of the fighter abilities that entails.

Is there some scaling mechanism in place so that 20 of a power source isn't actually all that great--for example, would your fighter abilities be so weak as to be borderline useless with 20 Discipline at level 18? Or is there a final power level that you can only reach at 54 of a power source (single class all the way to 18) so that giving up 2 of one for 20 of another is a bigger trade-off than it seems?

If ever taking a secondary class locks you out of endgame powers that would make me a sad panda.

My hope is that you'll just get fewer endgame powers -- i.e., two not three of the top level cipher powers, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Looking at the thresholds in the video, 20 Discipline would reach Power Level 4, which would be the abilities a single-classed fighter would get at level 7. That is hopefully enough to provide a little utility and flexibility, but probably would be underpowered in various aspects when doing level 18 content.

I assume that reaching that final level gives you something specific and useful (although by the listed progression Power Level 9 at 50 points would be the end, unless of course the pattern breaks at the end), which would provide room to balance the single-class purist against someone that single level of multiclassing (which might happen somewhat often, given that players might use it to in effect shift the classes of the fixed companions).

Yeah, that's probably a good point. If 20 Discipline is the equivalent of a level 7 fighter, that's not really that much utility once you're level 18. That said, I could see a melee wizard getting a whole lot out of that one-level dip, depending.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That's a good question and one of the major potential fault lines for min-maxing, as it was in 3E. If you only took one level of a class, you'd only have the foundation abilities/spells of that class, albeit with 20 points/4 levels in the Power Source. You'd reach 9th level abilities a level later in your main class (18th instead of 17th), but you'd still get access to them with 9 levels in that Power Source. Still, you'd have one fewer 9th level ability because of that lag. I think a lot of it will depend on the relative power between a level 1 ability scaled up to 4th level and the inherent power of a 9th level ability/flexibility of having two 9th level abilities. It's definitely one of the main things we're keeping an eye on since we don't want to make the maxed-out single class character obsolete.

Ladolcevita
Dec 1, 2013
I'm already having wet dreams about how much rear end a cipher-barbarian (Spirit Chaser?) would kick.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's probably a good point. If 20 Discipline is the equivalent of a level 7 fighter, that's not really that much utility once you're level 18. That said, I could see a melee wizard getting a whole lot out of that one-level dip, depending.
Also if you reverse those classes trading one of your 18 fighter levels for 7 wizard levels sounds like it'd be really good with the PoE1 spell selection.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

rope kid posted:

That's a good question and one of the major potential fault lines for min-maxing, as it was in 3E. If you only took one level of a class, you'd only have the foundation abilities/spells of that class, albeit with 20 points/4 levels in the Power Source. You'd reach 9th level abilities a level later in your main class (18th instead of 17th), but you'd still get access to them with 9 levels in that Power Source. Still, you'd have one fewer 9th level ability because of that lag. I think a lot of it will depend on the relative power between a level 1 ability scaled up to 4th level and the inherent power of a 9th level ability/flexibility of having two 9th level abilities. It's definitely one of the main things we're keeping an eye on since we don't want to make the maxed-out single class character obsolete.

Still sounds like one of those early alpha things that you scrap and talk about later on in a video saying "yeah we had this awful clunky system before we came up with X"

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Our companions have to take their first level in a class that is related to their character, but I wonder about taking a class that would be in opposition to who they are? I don't mean making Eder a wizard, but something like making him a Priest of Skaen or a Bleak Walker.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

55 Hybrid class names? Sounds like a job for goons, here's one:

Thief + Paladin = Goonlord. :colbert:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

oswald ownenstein posted:

Still sounds like one of those early alpha things that you scrap and talk about later on in a video saying "yeah we had this awful clunky system before we came up with X"

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oswald ownenstein posted:

Nah.

• Locked thread