Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, Sepinwall also didn't like Santa Clarita Diet, and I can kinda see why -- especially if you don't buy Timothy Olyphant as a henpecked suburban dude, which he didn't. One episode in, though, I do.

Also, it helps that I'm really into this show's take on un-death: you don't rot, but your id takes over and you do impulsive poo poo. And Barrymore is having a ball with this. "I know: Weirdest foreplay EVER!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rhyno posted:

For good reason.

Take that back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm not crazy, at some point this existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE93Fo-xq1A

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a midseason replacement.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am watching the Santa Clara Diet it's decent so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm binging through American Crime Story again, just as good on rewatch. Netflix just put up season 1.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay I like Santa Clara for the simple fact of Drew Barrymore saying Episode 2 I did eat one of his balls

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYSCjwc6pEo

I hope this is as much fun as the Mcelroy's other podcasts and youtube stuff.

Wasn't a single joke in that trailer, just these guys being pleased with themselves. I liked the Weird Al appearance tho.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The best Weird All cameo is in Halloween 2 .

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

You ever read a TV review and then just start laughing uncontrollably halfway through it, because you've been waiting for the show in question and it sounds like it exceeded every unreasonably high expectation you had?

Just me, huh? Makes sense. Here's the start of Alan Sepinwall's take on Legion:

EDIT: HOLY making GBS threads GOD, READ THAT REVIEW. It sounds like Hawley went all loving in on this one.

I can already see that they're taking cues from the recent comic series (cut down way too short in its run) Legion by way of a villain's name and possible scene as described by Sepinwall.

Get it its pretty excellent and pairs well with what this show seems to be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not convinced Timothy Olyphant can actually act.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't a single joke in that trailer, just these guys being pleased with themselves. I liked the Weird Al appearance tho.

"My name is...Zack...-hangs up-" got a laugh out of me, at least. A lot of the fun of the podcast is the way that they'll come up with goofs and build on them and I don't know how well that will translate to a TV show; the one bit of episode info that leaked via a news story from their hometown involves them helping someone get over their fear of spiders by throwing a parade celebrating spiders with spider floats and a matching band playing The Itsy-Bitsy Spider, which is the kind of thing that sounds like a sensible chuckle as part of a conversation but could live or die as an actual televised segment. Especially with a SeeSo budget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

It doesn't matter because he's so goddamned charming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

Colton Haynes left Teen Wolf for a role on Arrow where like two thirds of his scenes ended up being cut.

Really? Where did you read this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All throughout the Arrow thread over seasons two and three. He'd talk about an awesome scene they shot and it wouldn't be in the episode.

He seemed to think he got a raw deal because he was never elevated to regular status.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My favorite will always be Olly leaving Roy behind while he was knocked out

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rhyno posted:

He seemed to think he got a raw deal because he was never elevated to regular status.

Not true, he was a series regular in season 2 and 3.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pan Dulce posted:

Ever have a supporting actor on a tv show leave because they think they can do better on another show as lead? Do either shows, the show they were on previously or the one they get into next ever succeed?

Closest I can think of is Tom Ellis leaving Once Upon a Time even though his character was going to get full-time supporting to do Lucifer.

Does it count if they're part of an ensemble and leave to become lead?

Because in that case, McLean Stevenson's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan and there were no survivors.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

All throughout the Arrow thread over seasons two and three. He'd talk about an awesome scene they shot and it wouldn't be in the episode.

It's fair for him to feel that way, especially since the Arrow Junior Jackass squad is front and center this season.

Medullah posted:

Kal Penn left a starring role on House for a supporting gig on some reality political show

I liked that show, I wish they hadn't cancelled it and rebooted it with that guy from The Apprentice.

The only thing that could make me care about the CWDC franchise at this point is if they brought back Constantine.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Better Call Saul thread is closed, but if any of y'all greasy fucks live in Albuquerque, Rhea Seehorn is gonna perform with the improv folks at the Box tomorrow night.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Josh Lyman posted:

He can seethe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only unbelievably pissed off about how late the next season of Better Call Saul is airing?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably. It's like two months later than before.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Good enough for me, I have a general grieve against shows breaking the"1 year max" phenomenon everything relevant was following until the last few years. I like the shows I have to wait a shitlong time for returning in order.

EDIT: Fargo and the Leftovers excepted for being special.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first episode of Santa Clarita Diet and I'm enjoying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

less laughter posted:

Not true, he was a series regular in season 2 and 3.

Are you certain? One of the reasons he cited for his departure was not being a regular.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

Okay I like Santa Clara for the simple fact of Drew Barrymore saying Episode 2 I did eat one of his balls

Drew Barrymore on TV?

Catch you fools later.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Are you certain? One of the reasons he cited for his departure was not being a regular.

No, he said the reason for his departure was because of mental health reasons. He has severe anxiety problems and left to deal with that. He's said he loved working on the show and would go back any time.

http://ew.com/article/2016/05/05/colton-haynes-interview/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Santa Clarita Diet is great because they're a great loving couple who support each other which I think is great.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Netflix got new CW titles fairly quickly this time around. I caught up with No Tomorrow and holy poo poo, that finale! It's perfect: you know they went there with the show's underlying premise, as unlikely as that could be, but left things so every character got an ending that could be more, but stands well alone. If it doesn't get a renewal (which is almost virtually impossible on the CW), it still was a great season and a good ending.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pan Dulce posted:

Netflix got new CW titles fairly quickly this time around. I caught up with No Tomorrow and holy poo poo, that finale! It's perfect: you know they went there with the show's underlying premise, as unlikely as that could be, but left things so every character got an ending that could be more, but stands well alone. If it doesn't get a renewal (which is almost virtually impossible on the CW), it still was a great season and a good ending.

I think it and Frequency had really low ratings even by CW standards. And the fact that both of them mostly wrapped things up means they probably won't come back.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah man, Santa Clarita is brilliant.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Rocksicles posted:

I don't know if I'd say it's brilliant but like someone said above the fact that the family is pretty supportive of each other and acknowledge the ridiculousness of their situation is refreshing.

e: I should note that I'm taking off points because the Waitress is pretty bad but I knew she would be.

Grem fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 4, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I think it and Frequency had really low ratings even by CW standards. And the fact that both of them mostly wrapped things up means they probably won't come back.

I don't know if "CW standards" can even be a thing since they renew shows with audiences smaller than high school plays.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I was totally taken with the direction that they took Loki direction , I was expecting something else

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grem posted:

I don't know if I'd say it's brilliant but like someone said above the fact that the family is pretty supportive of each other and acknowledge the ridiculousness of their situation is refreshing.

e: I should note that I'm taking off points because the Waitress is pretty bad but I knew she would be.

I don't rate on a point system, i find it to be unfair use of my brain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No Tomorrow was so good. Even if they don't get a second season at least it had a good ending.

Anyway, weird thing about Santa Clarita Diet is that the nerdy neighbor boy is the kid who played Young Shawn 2 on Psych. I knew I recognized him from somewhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite little things about No Tomorrow was how often they would work the title in as a joke. Like the flashback to when Evie and Tim started dating and Tim starts talking about how he had a dream about the future they would have together and right after he was done, BAM. No Tomorrow pops up on the screen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd say Santa Clarita Diet get's real drat good at about ep 3. It's really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

I'd say Santa Clarita Diet get's real drat good at about ep 3. It's really great.

Tim Olyphant is a very funny guy. They really have chemistry.

• Locked thread