Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing about cannon misfires is they just don't translate well to the Total War style of battle vs. tabletop. Like the tabletop has more randomness in general, but beyond that how many times are you actually going to fire a single cannon in the tabletop game? If it fires once per turn that's still only like 6 or so shots in a whole game. Meanwhile in TW they will usually exhaust their ammo supply if they're positioned well and don't get taken out prematurely. So having a random chance to blow up every shot would most likely see you losing your artillery every battle. Which honestly would be fine in multiplayer (aside from it being kind of random bullshit if it blows up on your first shot), but in the campaign it would be a massive pain in the rear end.

I'm curious how they're going to do Skaven since they are pretty heavily designed around the concept of having powerful but unreliable weapons so without misfires they'd both be really strong and kind of lose their flavour a bit.

Every expansion/DLC/whatever in Warhammer CA has started to get more and more comfortable with changing up mechanics. I think there is hope for Skaven done right.

The Bret release at the end of the month should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think it's quite reasonable to model misfires for Skaven cannon using the overcharge mechanic for spells. Just give them an ability that boosts their damage or rate of fire for a period that has a chance of doing self-damage.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Captain Beans posted:

Every expansion/DLC/whatever in Warhammer CA has started to get more and more comfortable with changing up mechanics. I think there is hope for Skaven done right.

The Bret release at the end of the month should be interesting.

I don't really think brets will have anything too new, but I wouldn't be surprised if the governor system comes back for them, what with feudal lords being such a huge point for them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

I think it's quite reasonable to model misfires for Skaven cannon using the overcharge mechanic for spells. Just give them an ability that boosts their damage or rate of fire for a period that has a chance of doing self-damage.
Yeah, especially if their damage is really anemic without that ability. You could even do something where some units can pop an ability that gives them a random very strong buff and a random very strong debuff at the same time if you wanted to lean heavily into their unreliability.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or the missile has a 50/50 shot of aiming for an enemy or an ally, like how hellcannons are course-correcting?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
After playing a beastmen campaign, warriors of chaos feels like garbage in comparison. Their replenishment is poo poo, they get penalized for having stacks close together and lack ambush stance. Meanwhile Beastmen can potentially restore every unit in their army 100% in a single turn, can use Brayherds to double-team heavily defended castles, can ambush like crazy AND hide when they need to recover their forces. They also get a lot more Faction wide buffs.

They might consider not making WoC a purely horde race like beastmen and instead allow you to control awakened tribes directly so you can at least poo poo out chaff armies to soften up targets or keep the other northmen off your back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

They might consider not making WoC a purely horde race like beastmen and instead allow you to control awakened tribes directly so you can at least poo poo out chaff armies to soften up targets or keep the other northmen off your back.
A combination horde/settlement faction would make them more unique, definitely. You can get poo poo Norscan settlements if you want, but your real strength comes from the Chaos hordes. Especially if there's some way to cannibalize the settlements for instant growth for the hordes.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Warriors of Chaos are not correctly implemented. They were announced as DLC like a month before release, its basically a placeholder faction.

Chaos is probably going to be the second expansion, like all the gods and demons. Actually having all of the chaos stuff in the game will be cool because chaos undivided armies are supposed to be all the most broken poo poo in the game together and very much in the vein of a big bad, end game event.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Game is currently hella cheap at humble monthly https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat between last month's XCom 2 and this, Humble Monthly is killing it

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Is that a Steam code or a download of it's own? I currently have no time to play but I've been looking at sales to get the game as cheap as possible and I doubt it'll get better then this, as long as DLCs are easy to add into it when I get to actually playing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Feeling like getting back into an Empire playthrough despite how nightmarish that might be at this point; what's your favorite college pick for Battle Wizards (only 1)? Does Net of Amyntok still rule supreme despite the rest of Light being rather situational, or does Life's mass healing beat it out?

And on that note, does Life healing restore lost models?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

Feeling like getting back into an Empire playthrough despite how nightmarish that might be at this point; what's your favorite college pick for Battle Wizards (only 1)? Does Net of Amyntok still rule supreme despite the rest of Light being rather situational, or does Life's mass healing beat it out?

Life is probably king now. It doesn't restore models though so its best used in conjunction with more elite units, its hugely powerful with Demigriffs and heroes for instance.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

It is understandably difficult for CA to properly transfer of a lot of the specific traits of units from the tabletop game into the video game sphere. This is because Warhammer Fantasy is full of trash rules written by idiots, while CA would prefer to make a game that is good.

The CA/GW divide, folks.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

toasterwarrior posted:

Not by default, but there is a really cool mod made by an attractive, intelligent goon that fixes this horrible mis-step https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814817382&searchtext=

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm using a fun mod that lets you start at the other sub faction capitals, so you can start in Kraka Drak for example. Each province has a different lord you'd start with; this means you can start with a regular lord (they give you a few extra units to give parity to the LLs) and instead of doing xyz tasks to unlock the order LLs you have to actually confederate with them to get access.

The pro is they get their legendary items very quickly and you probably get them by the time you confederate. The con is you have to deal with lovely AI skill point placement as well.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Valiantman posted:

Is that a Steam code or a download of it's own? I currently have no time to play but I've been looking at sales to get the game as cheap as possible and I doubt it'll get better then this, as long as DLCs are easy to add into it when I get to actually playing.

You get steam key for each game, like a normal humble bundle. You just don't know what the other games will be until early March.
Warhammer key will be there instantly, the bundle page updates when the others drop.
You can cancel the subscription immediately, everything is cool at humble bundle :)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

drat between last month's XCom 2 and this, Humble Monthly is killing it

Too bad I buy all great games at release.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I won my second Very Hard Chaos campaign. This one was naturally a lot easier due to the Vampire Counts mostly killing the Empire. By the time my army was in the area it was just mopping up their last large army. Other diplomacy highlights include Skaeling asking for peace, getting wiped out, then staying buddies and wrecking Varg's poo poo after I revived them. Also Durthu asking for a military alliance for whatever reason.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Not by default, but there is a really cool mod made by an attractive, intelligent goon that fixes this horrible mis-step https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814817382&searchtext=

That's actually a pretty good change to differentiate the heals

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a mod that either disables the assassination grudge, or gives dwarves a competent assassin hero?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

terrorist ambulance posted:

That's actually a pretty good change to differentiate the heals

Actually this is necromancy and SUPER not cool bro

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Kinda sounds like it just makes a already good spell into a busted spell while also going against the flavor bringing the dead back to life.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Guess it's time to get some not-as-murderous hippy magic into my armies.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ammanas posted:

Actually this is necromancy and SUPER not cool bro

Regrowth in TT revived dead models so :shrug:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
It's not necromancy if they just died like 5 minutes ago!

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Kinda sounds like it just makes a already good spell into a busted spell while also going against the flavor bringing the dead back to life.

No, this is not true. He removed the 20% physical protection and instead gave it Nehek style resurrection which isn't "going against the flavour" since this is true:

Corrode posted:

Regrowth in TT revived dead models so :shrug:

In other words he made it a better "healing" spell but its still more expensive than the non-ressurecting AOE heal, and thus it stays both true to the flavour/lore and gives you a choice in what healing spell you should use.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone messed around with the battle map editor they just released? Until the full release at the end of the month its Win10 only so I've not been able to check it out.

Really hoping they will let us setup multiplayer enabled quest type battles.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I don't understand why I love this game so much. The build orders are the same, the campaign AI is predictable, the battle AI more or less the same, but for some reason I keep coming back for more and I only play single player mode.

It's somehow still freaking fun. I don't know, somehow there's something compelling and glorious about sending in frothing half-naked dwarves with orange mohawks for one last epic charge, or desperately knocking out the giant hellish dick cannons which had been savaging your lines.

I guess it's also cool that there are unique characters with backstories you can create a narrative with.

loving love this game.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I just got this in the Humble Bundle sale, and I'm having trouble with public order. Even when I've got the number in the green ("public order is stabilising"), it just gets worse every turn. Am I being targeted by agents or something? If so, I'm not getting any notifications or anything.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

I just got this in the Humble Bundle sale, and I'm having trouble with public order. Even when I've got the number in the green ("public order is stabilising"), it just gets worse every turn. Am I being targeted by agents or something? If so, I'm not getting any notifications or anything.

This works for almost anything in game regarding stats: Cursor over it and it will display a breakdown of everything affecting that number. For public order it will show: difficulty level hit, buildings bonus, leader bonus, agent's bonus/malus ect.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

Are you sure it's 'getting worse'? Public order goes from -100 to +100. The number ticking up is potentially a good thing.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fangz posted:

Are you sure it's 'getting worse'? Public order goes from -100 to +100. The number ticking up is potentially a good thing.

Also, depending on your situation, rebellions can be a good thing: if you have the armies standing by to put them down, a rebellion is free experience and loot. The first one or two turns of their existence, a rebel army is going to be effortlessly chumped by any even close to full-strength army.

This is a useful thing to know as Orcs, since those free WAAAUGH armies are hard to keep going over a long enough period of time, and having a convenient mob of rebellious boyz to smash up will keep your guys nice and fighty while they're trading up to Black Orcs and Big 'Unz.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Captain Beans posted:

This works for almost anything in game regarding stats: Cursor over it and it will display a breakdown of everything affecting that number. For public order it will show: difficulty level hit, buildings bonus, leader bonus, agent's bonus/malus ect.

I know how it works, I just don't get why it's decreasing instead of increasing. For example, last turn my order was -19 with a +3 change, right before I end the turn. As soon as I end the turn and start the new turn, my order is -25.

I'm starting with Grombindal and taking the buff that gives public order straight away, nut my order still goes down!

Edit: Now -39 with +4 change has turned into -45.

Morton Salt Grrl fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 4, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

I know how it works, I just don't get why it's decreasing instead of increasing. For example, last turn my order was -19 with a +3 change, right before I end the turn. As soon as I end the turn and start the new turn, my order is -25.

I'm starting with Grombindal and taking the buff that gives public order straight away, nut my order still goes down!

Edit: Now -39 with +4 change has turned into -45.

Not sure. There are things that can happen after you end your turn that can increase unrest like factions raiding your territory or events. If it keeps happening maybe post screenshots before and after a turn.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Something is making it change, fluctuations are likely some army raiding in that province

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
The AI in this total war game is actually pretty drat good, especially compared to the AI in previous games and others strategy titles. It doesn't handle having its high level settlements razed particularly well and loves to build archers, but it will actually build and use high tier units, (usually) make good calls on the campaign map, lay ambushes, raid, etc. It's also not nearly as opportunistic as the AI in say, shogun 2, which would literally march past your armies to go snipe towns you just left at every opportunity.

The one complaint I do have is that I've actually never fought a defensive siege battle in single player, as the AI doesn't assault settlements with walls but merely lays siege until you starve to death,.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Now I'm switching things up to try out the Orks. Crushing the other Ork factions is easy but Dwarves are wrecking my poo poo. I never really had to learn to fight Dwarves as other factions, but now I got no choice. How do I deal with their super-tough infantry? Even when I had a unit of Ork Boys in melee with a unit of standard Dwarvish infantry, along with wolf archers shooting arrows into their backs the whole time and sneaky stabbing casts every time it came off cooldown, my unit still broke first. Am I pretty much just hosed without superior numbers?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Operant posted:

. It's also not nearly as opportunistic as the AI in say, shogun 2, which would literally march past your armies to go snipe towns you just left at every opportunity.

Uhh yeah it does, in fact if your army isn't outclassed and you don't have walls on your settlement that's about all it does. Hence the home region movement mod.

The battle AI is OK-good, they did a great job programming flanking units to find weak spots but the campaign map AI is a freaking dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Now I'm switching things up to try out the Orks. Crushing the other Ork factions is easy but Dwarves are wrecking my poo poo. I never really had to learn to fight Dwarves as other factions, but now I got no choice. How do I deal with their super-tough infantry? Even when I had a unit of Ork Boys in melee with a unit of standard Dwarvish infantry, along with wolf archers shooting arrows into their backs the whole time and sneaky stabbing casts every time it came off cooldown, my unit still broke first. Am I pretty much just hosed without superior numbers?

1. Don't bring greenskin archers against dwarves

2. Do bring: AP damage, including skulkers, squigs, trolls, arachnoraks

3. Also do bring: Artillery, especially rock lobbers

4. Watch out for quarrellers, distract them with flanking cavalry, or meatshield them with goblins

5. But yeah, da stunties are tough. You will want to outnumber them or outclass them.

• Locked thread