Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hi. idk if this is the right thread to ask in, but I'm going to Prague for a couple of days later in the month to see the Kafka museum and look around the kind of places that were important to Kafka. Would anyone be able to recommend a good Kafka tour, or just things related to Kafka that I should definitely look at? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Venomous posted:

hi. idk if this is the right thread to ask in, but I'm going to Prague for a couple of days later in the month to see the Kafka museum and look around the kind of places that were important to Kafka. Would anyone be able to recommend a good Kafka tour, or just things related to Kafka that I should definitely look at? Thanks.

I can't specifically point you to a Kafka tour, but I can say some things about being in Prague. Just skip it if you don't care!

Like all the old European cities, a lot of the charm is in the architecture. Make sure to pay attention to weird statues and monuments, gargoyles and buttreses and all that; roof ornaments – look up once in a while. And the weird narrow medieval alleys between houses. There's one that leads down to a weird modern statue of a guy pissing. It's very obviously modern, and very obviously pissing. The Carls Bridge is definitely worth visiting, though there're obviously a lot of busking there.

But my best experiences were 1: finding a soviet 6th grade literature book just lying on top of a trashcan, and 2: the small weird bohemian cafes. And if a cafe should call itself bohemian, those in Prague have a pretty good precedent for that.

You can probably look up his house and stuff, but it's a very beautiful city even if you don't see that specific house.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Venomous posted:

Idk anything about kafka but i do know a bit about prague

go to kafka snob food. no one knows why its called that but its really good

go to the church of st james. when you walk in, look up and to the right. the withered arm of a thief is hanging from the ceiling, and its been there for 700 years

go to the old new synagogue, which is just a few blocks away from kafka snob food. it's where the golem of prague resides

drink at u fleku

absolutely take the train out of town to Kostnice and visit the sedlec ossuary, near Kutna Hora

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
read Švejk before you go!!

edit: and then get drunk in all the same places Hašek did so you can become a cool guy like him

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chernobyl kinsman posted:

absolutely take the train out of town to Kostnice and visit the sedlec ossuary, near Kutna Hora

fully seconding this

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The Kafka Museum is kind of naff. If you want to see some interesting stuff in Prague then go the Zizkov district. In the centre of it there's this odd looking tower that the Communists built which an artist decided to make look even weirder by adding these statues of giant babies crawling up the side of it. Also in the district is the Zizkov Military Museum. It's free to enter and has a load of exhibits which do a great job of telling the modern history of the country.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's a good reading light? i don't have room for a nightstand, so i'd probably need something to attach to the book, or maybe to a wall. i'd use my phone's flashlight but that drains my battery

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The fault is not in our posts, but in ourselves
It was the best of posts, it was the worst of posts
All happy posts are alike; each unhappy post is unhappy in its own way
Posting died today. Or maybe yesterday; I can't be sure

Edit:

And so we post on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into GBS

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, colonel Aurelio buendia was to remember that distant afternoon that his father took him to discover shitposts

The Unbearable Lightness of Posting

I could do this all day
it's spelt aureliano you uncultured screen-gazing sweet corn gently caress

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am going to eat you

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you are all absolutely nothing but trash idiots and fools

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that's me

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's a good reading light? i don't have room for a nightstand, so i'd probably need something to attach to the book, or maybe to a wall. i'd use my phone's flashlight but that drains my battery

It depends on your budget, but clip on lights are annoying. If you want something dirt cheap with a on off switch and naked bulb then you can always screw a vivarium light to your wall.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Avshalom posted:

that's a fair cop

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I bought Ancillary Justice on a whim like 2 years ago but I'll be hosed if I haven't tried reading it a dozen times without being able to break the first 100 pages.

With how well its reviewed and my love for sprawling sci-fi epics/space opera I should be way more into this book but have all but geven up on finishing it. Deep down I know that all the threads that are shown in the first 100 pages will be woven into fantastic story with great payoffs I just can't get through it. IDK if I'm just overwhelmed by the scale of the story. I have never had this problem before. I'm wondering if it's the amount of simultaneous action that just makes it too hard for me to follow in the early stages.

Anybody else have this issue with Ann Leckie's writing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I pretty much blasted through Ancillary Justice & loved it.

At that time, there was a lot of complaining about Leckie's use of pronouns, many of the type "but I can't imagine what they look like if I don't know their gender" which is dumb and boring. I enjoyed the heck outta the book tho

After a long break, I started reading the sequel & it did not work for me at all. I assume it's mostly because it started inside the boring space station with the boring raadchai(?) empire. That officer who is really into putting on gloves and keeping them on though; love tahat; also way more fun than what happens here & there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hi, I hated it. It felt disjointed in a way that kept me from getting interested or invested. It also has the feel of something someone wrote for NaNoWriMo, and even with the editing it just...shows? It needs to be tighter.

Also, regarding the pronouns, I got annoyed at how the main character would figure out genders and then slap everyone with one anyways. I mean, it's absolutely fine to go with she as the default, but ignoring the preferred gender just smacked me as rude. That's a personal gripe, though.

Another peeve: the starship character ultimately felt human. I know every single alien a human writes will have an element of that, but it felt too human, if that makes any sense? It made it difficult to - again - get invested when I could tell it was a written story, and not a great one at that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hi, I hated it. It felt disjointed in a way that kept me from getting interested or invested. It also has the feel of something someone wrote for NaNoWriMo, and even with the editing it just...shows? It needs to be tighter.

Also, regarding the pronouns, I got annoyed at how the main character would figure out genders and then slap everyone with one anyways. I mean, it's absolutely fine to go with she as the default, but ignoring the preferred gender just smacked me as rude. That's a personal gripe, though.

Another peeve: the starship character ultimately felt human. I know every single alien a human writes will have an element of that, but it felt too human, if that makes any sense? It made it difficult to - again - get invested when I could tell it was a written story, and not a great one at that.

their language only has one gender, so – The Ancillary themselves hardly understands the disitinction & thus comments on their judgments through the book.

also she didnt feel human imo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Powaqoatse posted:

their language only has one gender, so – The Ancillary themselves hardly understands the disitinction & thus comments on their judgments through the book.

also she didnt feel human imo

Fair on both counts: it's been a while since I read it, and the alien-ness thing is highly subjective.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't post here often but I am working my way through the whole Asimov universe and just finished The Stars, Like Dust and would like to report what is possibly the most incredibly groan-worthy forehead slapper of an ending that just makes you shake your head because it was exactly what you thought it would be

Still a very fun book in a pulpy way, with a pacing that is absolutely breathtaking compared to Robots and Empire immediately before it and even the Elijah Baley ones before that.

Now I begin on Solaris by Stanislaw Lem, which after thoroughly enjoying the recommendation from the other thread I read here of Return from the Stars I have high hopes of

e - I am also reading Give Us The Ballot but all I have to report of that book so far is anger, sadness, and immeasurable depression

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
What's the story on dust-jacket platitudes, just paid-for bullshit? 'Cause I just finished Mr. Punanibrambras 24-hr Nerd Wankery Book Club and if John Hodgman truly felt that it was "...delightfully funny, provocative, deft, and even thrilling..." he probably needs to take a long recuparitive trip somewhere to cool his fevered brains.

God, what a poo poo book.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Along with miss peregrine's home for peculiar children, it's a book with a great idea at it's centre and then completely hosed up by the rest of it being poo poo.

With both books it makes you wonder if the authors didn't steal their one good idea off of someone on the internet or their nan.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

idiotsavant posted:

What's the story on dust-jacket platitudes, just paid-for bullshit? 'Cause I just finished Mr. Punanibrambras 24-hr Nerd Wankery Book Club and if John Hodgman truly felt that it was "...delightfully funny, provocative, deft, and even thrilling..." he probably needs to take a long recuparitive trip somewhere to cool his fevered brains.

God, what a poo poo book.

I'd be surprised if money actually changes hands but it's frequently authors with the same publishing house or agency or they just know each other socially. It's also nice to be seen on the back of the book, as it puffs the puffer as being someone whose opinion matters.
One story I like was Hunter S. Thompson was sent a book to read and plug, and he soaked it in woodglue and sent it back pay on delivery, but he was an eccentric.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Avshalom posted:

lol

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
sorry friend i bear you no ill will but i have exactly one trigger and it is one hundred years of solitude

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I love One Hundred Years of Solitude, and how it's seemingly opaque and simplistic characterization really just makes them more powerful by condensing them into the base elements of humanity. I think that's really the basic quality of mythic/folkloric storytelling.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've been feeling really bad recently. There are so, so many books I want to read, but I have trouble getting through a short story I really wanna. If I could I'd do nothing but read until the heat death of the universe, but right now I'm paralyzed with choice. I'm not asking for recommendations; I already know what I want to read, but how can I pick one over the other? It's distressing.

So instead I've been rereading a book I already read, which, I know, isn't exactly helping, but it's less daunting. The Screwtape Letters is one of my all time favorites and I'm not even Christian. I want to write a fan sequel concerning recent world news and I may actually do it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I've been feeling really bad recently. There are so, so many books I want to read, but I have trouble getting through a short story I really wanna. If I could I'd do nothing but read until the heat death of the universe, but right now I'm paralyzed with choice. I'm not asking for recommendations; I already know what I want to read, but how can I pick one over the other? It's distressing.

So instead I've been rereading a book I already read, which, I know, isn't exactly helping, but it's less daunting. The Screwtape Letters is one of my all time favorites and I'm not even Christian. I want to write a fan sequel concerning recent world news and I may actually do it.

Flip a coin. Whatever it lands on, you'll know what you want to read, whether by side it lands on, or how you feel about the results of the coin toss. Basic psychology trick: you know what you want as soon as something tells you what you want.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

WickedHate posted:

Grab any book, and just agree that you'll read 2 chapters, and if it sucks, you'll find something else. You'll either be hooked, or move on to another book. It'll get easier once you get back into constant reading.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Juanito posted:

Grab any book, and just agree that you'll read 2 chapters, and if it sucks, you'll find something else. You'll either be hooked, or move on to another book. It'll get easier once you get back into constant reading.

This, or set a page count of like, 20 pages, or an hour of reading without interruption.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I haven't really been "into" reading ever since I left school and quiet hours in the library stopped being a thing. The irony is I'm home all day every day now and could force myself to go through novels a day if I was on meth or something, but there are too many distractions. I really valued having absolutely nothing to do but read in an absurdly comfortable chair and with a somewhat limited selection.

I'm gonna try, though.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Go to your local library or to a cafe. Leave your phone behind.

Once you get drawn into a story, you will want to keep reading it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

WickedHate posted:

I read David Vann - Aquarium recently and it was super cathartic. It's kinda hard to get through, but it's worth it imo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

I read David Vann - Aquarium recently and it was super cathartic. It's kinda hard to get through, but it's worth it imo.

It's so drat good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Franchescanado posted:

It's so drat good.

Heck yeah. Book's got so much love, and so much hate, but it all makes sense. It's rare that books make me feel anything so intensely. Usually I just go "oh, yeah, that character is angry because ___ and ..." without any feelings like a robot

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just discovered these unauthorized first US editions of LotR and now I must have them:

(The reason they are unauthorized was because to Tolkien the very thought of having his books published as softcovers was disgusting)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
These old Finnish editions' covers are cooler

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Even the bats are depressed in Finland.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
latvian ed. not as cool as the finnish one, i think

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly, to me the cool factor isn't the covers but that they were illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

WickedHate posted:

I haven't really been "into" reading ever since I left school and quiet hours in the library stopped being a thing. The irony is I'm home all day every day now and could force myself to go through novels a day if I was on meth or something, but there are too many distractions. I really valued having absolutely nothing to do but read in an absurdly comfortable chair and with a somewhat limited selection.

I'm gonna try, though.

Try audiobooks, I have headphones on listening to them all day while doing other stuff.