Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I picture that euro guy pulled over on Supertroopers.

Every time I talk to a Lufthansa plane I picture the cockpit being like the euro guy pulled over on Super Troopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Yeah. Looks like a legit guy, congrats! I've always wondered how reliable BaT buyers were, as I've never seen a lot of info about the success/failure ratio.

The buyer paid a 2050 non-refundable buyers fee already so unless a disaster strikes he's almost always going to be better off buying.

Also grats kimbo, it's especially neat that it seems to be going to a guy who really wanted it and would be willing to drive it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats man! It's a shame to see it leave the SA family but if it had to go that was a good way to do it. I wouldn't mind something like this one day, could you let us know what was the TCO for the time you had it?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Congratulations on the successful sale, I'm glad it went to someone that will truly appreciate it. Excited to see what you get next :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mobby_6kl posted:

Congrats man! It's a shame to see it leave the SA family but if it had to go that was a good way to do it. I wouldn't mind something like this one day, could you let us know what was the TCO for the time you had it?

These are arguably cosmetic or not to do with the continued running of the car:
3676: Exhaust and installation (and fixing up the bracket on the exhaust heat shield
2027: OEM targa top
764: front and rear wheel spacers and bolts:
175: skid plates and installation:
65: steering wheel spacer
In review, I might have passed on the OEM targa top, but everything else was worth it.
The spacers make the car look the business, and the exhaust was worth every penny. I would have spent even more on it, I think.

1293: replacing worn parts, maintenance items, repairing broken parts
The big bill in here was $766 for replacing the oil temp sensor and replacing the oil.

Total spent is 7935. Once the car is well and truly out of my hands, I'll tally that into the purchase price vs selling price to compute a virtual monthly lease rate.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

Man, I'd guess about 15-20% of my car's final price was bid in the last hour. I gotta think he's got way more upside on this.

Here's the bid timeline on the last day (Pacific Time, used in the email alerts I got):
code:
35,000     7:47 AM   

35,500    12:06 PM
36,250    12:08 PM
36,500    12:08 PM
37,500    12:08 PM
38,000    12:09 PM
38,500    12:10 PM 

# 12:10 was the original scheduled end of the auction. With a bid happening in the last 2 minutes, the auction end is extended by 2 min.

39,000    12:12 PM
39,500    12:12 PM
39,750    12:12 PM
40,000    12:12 PM

40,500    12:14 PM
40,750    12:16 PM
41,000    12:18 PM
Just as Sten Freak said, 15% of the final sale price came in the last hour. Though really, just the last 12min of bidding, most of which was into overtime!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Awesome ride! Count me among those who followed this from the beginning.

One of the greatest things about this forum is the sharing and vicarious experience of cars that I wouldn't even want to own, or hadn't considered owning, or couldn't afford to own. And it's so much more real than car magazine talk. So thanks for the thread and please continue with the next car.

That goes for everyone here.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Congrats on the sale!

If the buyer is indeed based in The Netherlands, it would be interesting to hear more about the process of getting it there.

Also, looking forward to the numbers, but I totally understand and respect that you'd want to be careful dispensing that information. All in due time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Congrats! Will be interesting to hear about the final virtual lease rate. Should be around $1000? That would confirm my views on Ferraris - they're not fantastically expensive, just very expensive. And not worth it for me, even though I've enjoyed every second I've been in and around one.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ola posted:

Congrats! Will be interesting to hear about the final virtual lease rate. Should be around $1000? That would confirm my views on Ferraris - they're not fantastically expensive, just very expensive. And not worth it for me, even though I've enjoyed every second I've been in and around one.

Probably closer to $2000/mo, white suits are expensive.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

Congrats on the sale!

If the buyer is indeed based in The Netherlands, it would be interesting to hear more about the process of getting it there.

Also, looking forward to the numbers, but I totally understand and respect that you'd want to be careful dispensing that information. All in due time.

Kimbo lives in Boston. It'll be simple. A courier will pick the car up in a covered truck, take it to a terminal, and it'll get loaded onto a ship. Car carriers are in and out of Boston all the time, but it may end up in a container, and loaded onto a container ship.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One of the things that made me think the buyer was legit (when coupled with being part of an established speed shop) is that he emailed me after winning asking where I was in the US. Like the dude wasn't even sweating the logistics of getting the car. But fortunately, should be easier than if I didn't live by a port.

He's flying in next week, and hopefully the car will pass his inspection and he'll cut over the check. Though I wouldn't look down at 40k in cash. BaT has washed its hands now that it's taken its 2k cut. The buyer and seller are responsible for taking the deal to completion.

I mentioned the sizes of the spares, which won't all fit in the car. Waiting to here back what he wants to do with the exhaust, which is in two big pieces.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow! That was some pretty intense bidding at the end.

Did I see you on i95 north in the Charger this morning? If you saw a ragged silver Forester go past you on the left at the speed of light, that was me :ninja:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Here's the bid timeline on the last day (Pacific Time, used in the email alerts I got):
code:
35,000     7:47 AM   

35,500    12:06 PM
36,250    12:08 PM
36,500    12:08 PM
37,500    12:08 PM
38,000    12:09 PM
38,500    12:10 PM 

# 12:10 was the original scheduled end of the auction. With a bid happening in the last 2 minutes, the auction end is extended by 2 min.

39,000    12:12 PM
39,500    12:12 PM
39,750    12:12 PM
40,000    12:12 PM

40,500    12:14 PM
40,750    12:16 PM
41,000    12:18 PM
Just as Sten Freak said, 15% of the final sale price came in the last hour. Though really, just the last 12min of bidding, most of which was into overtime!
Mine did the same, a flurry at the very end including some OT. After I posted that I worried about expectations so glad it worked out.

Really happy for you. You're saying goodbye to the 348 but I'll try to finally scan the pic I have of my uncle's from back in the 90s this weekend and post it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Did I see you on i95 north in the Charger this morning? If you saw a ragged silver Forester go past you on the left at the speed of light, that was me :ninja:

Must not have been me -- just biked to work downtown as usual. Must be some other jerk with a retired cruiser.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Buyer trying to figure out visa for flying into the US. I told him I'm patient with figuring out the sale.

"maintenance drive" today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAwkQhzmrU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

He is an EU citizen that is not from one the 7 countries Trump is being a dickhead about? He just needs an ESTA.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Be more worried about shipping the car out and everything the buyer will ask you to do to help, vs the minimal effort it will take for him to fly to Canada and get a coyot-eh to smuggle him into the USA.

But really, congrats. This thread was a great ride and I look forward to what you do next.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This isn't a BaT auction, so they don't have the same obligation to be even-handed, but it is pretty gushing:
http://bringatrailer.com/2017/01/31/almost-perfect-spec-1995-ferrari-f355-berlinetta-6-speed/

That Tubi exhaust doesn't sound that good imo -- just unadulterated rasp. The 2nd-highest bidder did say he would rather put the stock exhaust back on than stay with the Rarefab, though he didn't bid lower since the exhaust was included.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some of this comparison applies to how the 348 sets itself apart from other cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaJJ31xUO1Y
Its clutch is totally fine and it's not that bad to steer even at parking speeds, but the quirks and sound apparently are part of a common 90s Ferrari feel.

Hopefully will be done with the sale tomorrow.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Best of luck. The demuro video is pretty good. Quirks, but still :krad:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't know if you've ever seen twenty thousand dollars before, except perhaps in the movies. But let me show you something that gets lost in the translation.
https://vid.space/shortlink/53edcf1aaea5bcc9105daec9

Actually, 20k in cash looks like this:

200 sequentially marked bills. It's kind of crazy just looking at it. I almost don't want to deposit it at the bank.

The buyer wired 20k in advance, and paid 20k now when he drove off with his wife. He's shipping through Elizabeth, NJ and visiting NYC for the weekend.
I spent half the day yesterday signing stuff over to him, helping ship stuff, and hanging out with him and chatting.

Logistics:
- Buyer found out he couldn't carry more than $20k for the trip
- Tried a few different ways to send the remainder, including Paypal
- Wired 20k from his bank to my bank
- Flew over, arrived in Boston 2pm Thursday
- I gave him a test drive, which included grinding the frame rail on the hump getting back into my parking garage (we were both dreading looking at the damage, but the rail was fine)
- went to a UPS to notarize the Bill of Sale
- I just got a new 55" TV, which was perfectly sized to wedge the aftermarket top into
- drove that, the wheel, and the exhaust pieces to Fedex, where the buyer used his Fedex account to mail everything to himself. Fedex will be packing the wheel and exhausts
- gave him the key this morning, and they're going to drive down to New Jersey

AI bits:
- he and his wife spoke completely natural English, with only the rare searching for a word
- he stumbled onto the auction when it was already 28,000, so he put in a 28.5 bid. Then he sat in on the end of the auction after dinner.
- he said it was the color and exhaust video that sold the car for him. 40k was more than he wanted to spend, but by that point, he really wanted the car
- he actually didn't know anything about Ferraris during the auction. Only started doing some research after he'd won it. He told guys at his shop he'd bought it the next day, saying he thought it had a tranverse V6
- he didn't know I had the digitized service records available for perusal, and was glad to see any documentation at all for the last major service. His shop (no surprise) will do the belt service and try to track down the electrical issues
- only after he won the auction did he contact me asking where Boston was. The travel expenses were not a big deal, it seems
- he owns 3 companies. One assembles turbochargers for custom applications, one does diesel fuel rails, and the last is the motorsport shop
- most of the guys who work in the speed shop are reallocated over from one or the other company, since car projects come up at random
- he owns 3 Alfa Romeos. He runs an 80s Giulietta in a small rally outside of Spa Francochamps with his sister as co-driver
- his shop customers basically pick out a target race series, a target car, and come to him to take care of the rest, including traveling to a race to support the car. Lots of cool stuff, like: https://i.imgur.com/9djpOOS.jpg
- he showed me a bunch of work from his shop, like a Corvette that ran (and rolled) at the Carrera Panamericana.
- the coolest car was a Can-Am McLaren. The customer crashed and wrecked the front, so they had to carefully size and rebuild aluminum panels to rivet back on
- his own track car is an E30 M3 with the 2.3 Evo motor. The car can race in some vintage class that's 1985 and older.
- the plan for the 348 is to get it street legal, clean it up a bit, just drive it, and maybe sell it on. But that might change depending on how much he wants to put into the car

Overall, it was a really fun exchange with another car enthusiast. I'm glad I have the work flexibility that let me take half the day off to spend time with the buyer. I think he was happy with the match between the car in person and the listing. I was definitely happy that it was selling to someone who has such a deep hand in the automotive world.

I'll write more as I think of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'll buy that dude an account if he's interested.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sounds like a great buyer and good deal for you, congratulations on the sale, glad it all worked out!

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Super-rad that you found a great buyer and came out of it with what you wanted, if not a little more.

Cheers for the great thread, too!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Man, to me that is the textbook perfect buyer. Sorry I won't see any more updates from you on this, but it really does sound like it's going to someone who will appreciate it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love a story with a happy ending

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

As he was pulling away and I was looking at the slatted taillamps with vapor pouring out of the pipes, I really appreciated one last time the look of the car in person.
Because I'm always backing into my spot, it's an angle I just didn't see a lot of.

I have one of those Fuji instant cameras. I forgot to take a picture of the car on old period-correct-looking film :/.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Man, to me that is the textbook perfect buyer. Sorry I won't see any more updates from you on this, but it really does sound like it's going to someone who will appreciate it.

Yeah, when he scraped over the hump, I thought that that would be a real test. He seemed far more concerned about the car than the deal, and definitely didn't make me think I was going to be on the hook somehow.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Costs:

I paid $51k for the car. 54,188 with sales tax. A couple months later, I found out the dealer I bought it from paid 46k (or lower if he cut a deal) for it on Ferrari Chat. That dealer, btw, is the same who furnished DeMuro with the Turbo and 512R above.

I sold it for 41k.
I spent 6642 on mods and 2208 on maintenance/repairs. That last figure is higher than I reported before -- I forgot to include installing new tires.

My actual monthly cost to own over 17 months was $1109, not including gas. Figure that 5 of those months were very little driving.
2nd highest bidder said he wasn't interested in the exhaust. He would have paid 40,750. If you leave off the exhaust mod, then monthly goes down to $907.
$200 a month for that sound? Absolutely worth it.

If you take a moderate leap and say he would have bid the same without the other mods (OEM top, spacers, skid plates), monthly does down to $732.

If I had snagged the car at 46k and done everything I did, monthly = 814.
46k and only maintenance = 424.

With only the single data point of my BaT auction, I think I could have gotten high 30s for the car in the condition I bought it in, with would possibly have led to ~$500/month. Again, data is really thin. The top two bidders were completely split on the exhaust. One would have probably paid the same without the video; the other wouldn't have bid.

If I'd kept the car for a full 2 years, I think my amortized monthly costs would down a chunk -- I wasn't doing any more mods, and maintenance would probably be light. I'd be able to get back in sale price most of what it'd cost to do the belt service.

My general sense is that if you play your cards right, you could run a 348 for <$500/month.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 3, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How many miles did you put on in 17 months? I'm really quite surprised maintenance and repairs only came in at $2208, including tires!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Only about 2400 mi. If the car were in better overall shape, I'd have worried about it more. But I basically drove it whenever I could.
I toyed with the idea of making a weekend trip down to NYC once, but didn't go through.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kimbo305 posted:

AI bits:
- he and his wife spoke completely natural English, with only the rare searching for a word

This may interest you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seller dropped the car off at the shipping company. Filled up just outside Boston and got all the way to the shipping office in Elizabeth, NJ on that tank.
About 5 hours including lunch, so not too bad. The shipper is going to destroy my plates upon shipping? I should check in with them.

I think the 3 times I noticed a slight glitch:
- searching for a word like "annoyances"
- not knowing how to say garbanzo or chickpea
- he called the exhaust video a "film"

He (45) and his wife took English in high school, but their 8yo daughter is already getting classes in it.

Oh, and when he said companion, he said it the French way :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks for the thread, Kimbo, it's been good to follow along, especially with the details on actual ownership costs etc.

kimbo305 posted:

- not knowing how to say garbanzo or chickpea
WTF is "garbanzo"?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's a type of chickpea.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 3, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It's a type of bean.
I only do baked, runner, and Riding.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Now that it's over can I point out that the paint on the passenger door didn't match with the paint on the front or rear quarters? In every picture I saw (even the legendleasing's glamourshots), the color was darker. If there was something that happened that caused the door (or the front and rear quarters) to be repainted, that could explain the top not fitting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Now that it's over can I point out that the paint on the passenger door didn't match with the paint on the front or rear quarters? In every picture I saw (even the legendleasing's glamourshots), the color was darker. If there was something that happened that caused the door (or the front and rear quarters) to be repainted, that could explain the top not fitting.

Yeah, fire away.
2nd highest bidder asked that, and I truly didn't see it in person. The two things that make it hard for me are the green/darkening effect of the strakes and the angle that body takes behind the door.

What's the best picture that illustrates it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, fire away.
2nd highest bidder asked that, and I truly didn't see it in person. The two things that make it hard for me are the green/darkening effect of the strakes and the angle that body takes behind the door.

What's the best picture that illustrates it?

https://legendleasing.com/images/gallery_huge/IMG_7257.JPG635727191424675115.jpg

It's not overtly noticeable, but the door is more yellow than the rest of the car. You can play with a photo program and look at the color codes if you wanted to quantify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

gently caress now you reminded me I lent my copy of that to one of my Brothers friends and he sold it in a big stack of dvds for weed money :argh:

• Locked thread